main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Vader in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Charon Lefleur, Jul 8, 2015.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    I've done some thinking on this and the most plausible thing I can come up with is that maybe Lucas made an offhand mention of the possibility to him kinda like how he told Mark Hamill that there will be 12 movies. Then Prowse just rolled with it.

2. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002

Yes we know the outcome, but that's like watching a film set in WW2 about a certain real-life event. The WW2 film would still work. How popular was the Dambusters? Also, story is also about character and it's about the hero's journey - the details of the plot are secondary. I would also not be surprised if their is a link between Rogue One and the ST. Three good reasons why this is will not be "really bad."

AmidalaLover, Avnar and Sarge like this.
  3. Breogan

Breogan Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    For me this is one of those things where it's - be careful what you wish for.

Hopefully we get some scenes hinting of someone making Imperial commanders accountable, for the loss of these plans, and by the end, due to their incompetence, we finally see when he personally takes full command of the mission to retrieve them.

But I don't need, or want them to take it upon themselves to suddenly decide - we really need to "explore" Vader's angst here.
    No, you don't! Hell no!

This has to be Vader at his coldest. least human and most mechanical, completely switched off emotionally, there shouldn't be any trace of the whiney torchered Anakin of the prequels.
    Or of him even reflecting on that past for a second.
    That guy, is implicitly dead! at this point.

And this is also before he has any sense, or want of hope, that his children may have survived.
    Just a pure mechanised walking death mask, focused on getting the plans back.
    That's it

I will freakin yell at the screen like a madman and wreck the theater, if they for a second have him all wistful and moping, at what he's become.

LOL![​IMG]

AndyLGR, Lando Swarm and Sarge like this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would really like to see Vader in this film...but for the love of God - Keep HC away from this! Grrrrr

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

No need for the Grrrr, man.

HC will not play Darth Vader

In any form ever just because why would he?

6. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Maybe as the suit but thats it...

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    He's too small.

8. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

Why on Earth would agree to do it?

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Because he would be back in star wars.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that they'll most likely do what they did for the OT. Get some lesser-known actor, or maybe just a stuntman/bodybuilder, to play Vader physically and then get JEJ to do the voice again (having heard him on Rebels, he can still pull it off. His voice sounds a little older than he did back in the day, but not that much).

From what I heard, the reason why HC was in the Vader armor at the end of ROTS was that he specifically requested it.

11. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015
    I may get a lot of flack for this, but there's something I've always wanted to see in a Star Wars villain, if only out of a sense of evil pragmatism.

I've always thought to myself, even from a very young age... why doesn't he just force-crush that dude?

Since this is Vader at his penultimate evilness, I feel the time is right. I realize this is probably far too graphic an image for most Star Wars audiences, so just some character (the more prominent, the better) suspended in mid-air, some creative sound effects and an off-screen scream accompanied by Vader closing his fist would sate my crush-lust.

Probably far too violent, I know, but tell me it wouldn't stick out as one of the most intense scenes in SW history.

Boom. Vader redeemed.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Vader choking a guy to death with his bare hands is still a pretty disturbing sight imo. Even today, it holds up.

Maybe someone like a wrestler who can pull off Vader's sometimes over the top gestures.

Remember that guy?
    https://www.google.at/search?q=shea...ChMIxYuGnMSUyAIVRrQUCh3ljAkD&biw=1280&bih=588

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader is definitely in Rogue One considering "A New Hope" literally opens with him chasing after the plans.

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd be interested in seeing the writer and director of Rogue One by having Vader as this ominous background character that everyone talks about but never sees. Imagine a scene where they're all sitting around and speculating what he looks like and where he could be hiding. Of course, we know everything about Darth Vader so the intrigue in the scenes stems less from mystery and more from giving greater context and depth to the characters to further understand their role within the rebellion. What better way to achieve that than by having a totally new lineup of characters describe a legendary villain that we ourselves know inside and out?

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And then they meet Vader ...

Otherwise nah, disappointing. It's like teasing a cake but not giving it to the audience.

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    But we've already had our cake...and we ate it up.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The cake is seeing Vader in all his glory in a new Star Wars film. If that doesn't get bums in seats, I don't know what will.

Being teased that we'll see him and then he is a no-show is no fun imo.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Vader is what the general public knows, and they are going to be reminded of him in TFA. Vader is box office and toy sales.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Since Vader is so popular, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own spin off set preANH.

20. Breogan

Breogan Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    Definitely prefer the approach of having him more an unseen, yet a ominous presence throughout.
    That is, have the fear he as instituted in others be the main focus, but not the man himself.

His story has been beyond told. I don't ever need more insight into this character, LOL!. We are not going to learn anything new about him. It's done, we know exactly who / what he is at this point. (and definitely not another Vader focused spinoff)

In Rogue One we shouldn't see him so much, but his effect on others, those accountable to him, under his command, the anxiety and fear built on knowing he's out there, as TryWhistlingThi pointed out, the effect his presence has made, outside the Empire too.
    On those struggling to survive, where he's still unseen, yet legendary.
    That should be his presence.
    Have him only sparingly ever on screen, to emphasise it.
    Until we finally see when he personally takes full command of the mission, towards the end
    .... which we know, leads right into his presence in ANH.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh sure. The story isn't about Vader.

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Darth Vader is like the Rockefeller or Rothschild of the Star Wars Universe. Everyone knows who he is but is unsure of what is stands for or who precisely he is as a person, but everyone talks about him and when they do there is either a lot of cynicism or dislike. Is he really all that bad? Is he just misunderstood? Or are there greater evils at play? One thing for sure is that no matter how powerful Vader is, there is someone pulling his strings and he needs to answer.

I'd love to explore the psychological effects that has on those within the Star Wars universe. I mean, we've seen Darth Vader choke someone to death for speaking out against him in a board meeting. I've seen that and it was a glorious moment. But show me what happens next. If I were in that board meeting i'd be meeting up with my closest friend for a drink on Mos Eisley to talk about my psychopathic boss.

Plus, we've got Mads Mikkelsen and Forest Whitaker in the film. Do we really need to shoehorn the Man in Black just to be reminded we're watching Star Wars? Although I like Hamill's Joker, don't you think he was kind of over-serviced by having him feature in all four Batman Arkham games?

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, because otherwise it will just be another war movie and that genre doesn't seem to be doing that well right now.

You obviously don't read the new Vader series by Kieron Gillen.

Big Boss likes this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Hayden: "Damn hater fanboys on those Star Wars forums, can't wait to return as Vader just to make them mad and give them something to stew about."

25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Like I said before, I believe that his actually physical presence will be limited. Maybe we see him talking to, whoever the main baddie is in this film on the holonet once or twice, and then he shows up in person near the end of the film (to set up the beginning of ANH). But his presence will be felt throughout. It could be cool if the Imperials in this film talk about him, and are absolutely terrified of what he might do to them if they fail. Then at some point they get the word that "Lord Vader is on his way to your location," and it makes them all the more desperate to get the plans back.