main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Vanee (aka Hooded Man or Not Plagueis Not Snoke Not Palpatine) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    He looked and sounded just like Solbor, who was also an attendant, from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Feels perfectly appropriate to me. Vader, Palpatine's only Sith apprentice, is vulnerable in that room. So his master orders a couple red guards to protect him.

What's the problem?

3. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm with you, red guards = Palpatine, at least, until now. I took it further, though. I swore up until I saw the movie that the hooded figure would be Jyn at the end, bowing in service to the Emperor, and she would go on to become "Mara Jade". If you watch the very first teaser, it totally backs up this insane theory. "What will you become?" etc, etc. I loved Rogue One, so I'm glad I was wrong.

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Interesting... [face_thinking] Never thought about that.

5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think that's a valid point, the Emperor wants to ensure Vaders safety, but the real question is whether he would accept it. To me, it feels a bit out of character for Vader to have an attendant and guards while in a fortress. On the battlefield, it makes sense to have Stormtroopers with you, as he once did with clones as Anakin...I just have trouble imagining he'd allow anyone near him while in that state...

Avnar likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The presence of the guards... and probably even an "attendant"... lend themselves to a scenario where Vader's opinion on personal time and solitude are of no concern to the guy who owns him. They may very well be there just as much to make sure Vader isn't setting up his own little kingdom (he already has a castle) behind Sidious' back.

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    This. As usual, Chorus adds another layer to the discussion.

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It...just...feels...out...of...character...

What A Chorus of Disapproval says is probably the closest I can come to understanding it though :cool:

9. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Well, he needs someone to fetch him a coffee.

SateleNovelist11 and Avnar like this.
  10. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    But in the earlier ANH screenplay drafts Vader could easily do that himself - through Force telekinesis... ;)

SateleNovelist11, Avnar and Snax Rebo like this.
  11. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Uh, what if the coffee is far away?

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Not to stay off track with the coffee talk BUT imagine if Vaders coffee goes cold on Mustafar...he would just need to walk outside with the cup and hold it over a lava lake for a second or two = hot again! [face_coffee] :vader:

Quick, back on track before the mods get here! So, Vanee...cool... :D

Snax Rebo and Lt. Hija like this.
  13. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Vanee is there to keep the house clean and maybe prepare the Lord's bath. It's an easy job for him because Vader doesn't like furniture.

Sent from my 503HW using Tapatalk

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Suffice to say that an entire generation grew up believing Vader could drink hot beverages... :p

(Interesting detail, where did the Marvel Comics illustrators get the idea that it was Romodi, instead of Motti, who challenged Vader? In the ANH novelization it was Tagge who got choked)

15. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Lt. Hija, Vader just stood there, holding that drink for the entire duration of the meeting. [face_laugh]

La Calavera likes this.
  16. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I doubt that, I think eventually he would have made the hot liquid "magically" leave his cup and poor it on his poor tantalized victim since Lucas couldn't possibly visualize the other thing (i.e. what Frank Underwood did to his father's tombstone in House of Cards for lack of better words...) :p

Snax Rebo likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In all seriousness, I highly doubt Vader spends time messing with the settings on his Bacta Tank at bath time. Somebody needs to be making certain that system is running correctly and clean. Trust me, Vader isn't lighting his own therapy candles or tossing in his own scented bath bombs.

18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats an image that I cant erase from my short term memory. TBH, Vader probably doesn't do candles or other fire related activities very well.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That fact that this conversation has reached Vader's toiletry habits is why I love/fear this place.

20. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Something Hidalgo said with regards to the Vader/Krennic meeting being switched from initially happening on the DS, to Vaders castle for dramatic effect (by way of the reshoots) doesn't quite add up. The very first teaser we got for R1 featured the hooded figure scene with the Imperial guards. Way before the reshoots. Just what was the initial context behind that scene?

"His highness the Emperor sends word that you must travel to Scariff immediately" I'm surmising it was something like that before the Krennic meeting

Avnar likes this.
  21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Jcuk

Have a read what I wrote further up the page in regards to this - I am still not sold! :cool:

22. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    After watching RO for the first time I was so, so greatly amused by all the prior speculation over someone who turned out to be a valet/messenger!

23. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    since its a sith site i assume there is sith holocrons there and that the guards are protecting them as much as vader. just seems like the emperor keeping an eye on his investment when vader is in the bacta and most vulnerable

Lt. Hija likes this.
  24. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    Is it possible that this is not a story related issue and more of a "This shot looks cooler with the two Royal Guards rather than no one at all"? If I imagine the shot without them there, it seems a little too plain looking.

25. Zillobeast

Zillobeast Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 6, 2016
    It's funny how such a minor character got a ton of speculation! That said, I did want to see more of him. I liked how he was a servant to the Dark Lord himself (how does one even get that position?), and I liked his Igor-like appearance and dialogue.