main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Lightsaber Discussion Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jedi-mind-trick, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    There are currently 5 threads in the first 50 of this forum that pertain to minor aspect of Lightsabers. Therefore, DarthAttorney and I, in the interest of reducing redundancy, felt it best to create an "Official Lightsaber Discussion Thread," in which all aspects of lightsabers may be discussed.

Some suggested topics of conversation:

- Meaning of Lightsaber Color
    - Lightsabers as Common Sci-Fi Weapons
    - Practice Lightsabers
    - Best Lightsaber of the SW series
    - Electrum Lightsaber vs Crystal Lightsaber

Have fun! :D :D :D

2. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Well, lightsabers, IMO, are the best weapon in the history of film. And if they were real, they'd be the best weapons ever.

My favourite saber? Well, my favourite hilt would have to be that of Obi-Wan in TPM. As for my favourite blade colour, I think it's gotta be the green.

Now, as for what the colours mean. I think blue and green mean good. That is for certain. As we have never seen a villain use a blue or green blade. However, we saw Anakin use a blue to inflict suffering. And we know he will become a villain later on.
    The blue should really symbolise the ultimate goodness. But in the Tusken slaughter it does not. Perhaps that is why Anakin receives a green saber later on in the film.
    Moving onto green, I think this symbolises a maverick force-user. Qui-Gon, Anakin, and even Luke. All of them spoke against the wishes of the people around them ('I take anakin as my padawan', 'I don't care!', 'I can't kill my own father!'), and one of them went as far as to entirely disobey them. And then he ended up with a red saber.
    Yes, the red signifies a villain. There is no doubt about that whatsoever.
    Now, the controversial issue - the purple blade. Some say it signifies a mixture of blue and red, good and evil; some say it was merely the will of Samuel L Jackson's inner child; some say it is a trick of the light. Whatever it is, dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is. Meditate on this, I will not.

Now, as for this overhyped electrum thing, well, it boils down to this: did Mace Windu, the only user of the electrum lightsaber you have seen in action, fight well? Or was it that little Yoda fellow with his puny, uncontroversially green crystal saber, who seemed like a pro swordsman in your sharp eyes?

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I heard from somewhere that Mace's lightsaber was called electrum due to fact of the gold finish on the handle and because of the purple crystal in his saber. That's the only difference between his saber and anyone elses...

4. Chamby_X

Chamby_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Ah, lightsabers. The best weapon in cinematic history.

As for the color issue, I don't think it has any meaning besides the user's personal preference. Green and Blue have become known as good guy colors because generations of good guys have used them, same with red for bad guys. If I had one I'd want it to be red, whether I was on either side, I think it's the coolest color for a saber :D.

And for best saber in the saga, it doesn't get any better then Darth Maul's double bladed saber. Very innovative.

5. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Yeah, rumsmuggler, you're absolutely right. Electrum is some metal gold finish that only a legendary guy like himself is allowed.

6. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Ok, THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTIONS, DO NOT BAN ME FOR THIS, HONEST TO GOD, I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART [censored] OR ANYTHING. I WILL EDIT THIS QUESTION IF A MODERATOR PM'S ME AND TELLS ME TO.

JMT Edit - Implied swearing is forbidden, and your question is inappropriate for this family-friendly forum. Please keep it clean folks. :)

7. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Well, Mr weird guy who in all your posts that I've seen you type part of it with capitals and the rest normally,

I have forgotten what his saber hilt looked like, but nevertheless, that would explain why he has a different one in AOTC (then again so would the EU).

8. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Ya, I am Mr. Weird guy, but I did the capitals in this post so people would read that first.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would like to offer up this website which details the possible working nature of lightsabers, and techniques that sword wielders use.

B2sSWstuff

Enjoy!

10. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    And to a side note to: jedi-mind-trick, Ok, thanks for editing it, I didn't know if that was allowed. Have a good one.

11. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    'Tis all good my friend....carry on. ;)

12. alex_

alex_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    Okay, here is a question: How many lightsaber colors in total would you like to see in the GFFA? I would like to see nine colors in total.

The three additive primary colors:

Red
    Green
    Blue

The three subtractive primary colors:

Yellow
    Cyan
    Magenta (for me, Mace's lightsaber qualifies here)

Two popular non-primary colors:

Orange
    Pink (for hot Jedi chicks)

And finally:

Colorless White

Do you like this ensemble? Or would you have prefered only Red, Green, Blue? Or do you have an own favorite ensemble? *Curious*

By the way, it was my fascination for lightsaber colors, that got me interested in real-world color-theory. :)

13. dungeonmaster

dungeonmaster Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2002
    isn't Mace's purple??

?[face_plain]

14. death-sticks

death-sticks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    i'd like to have a salmon pink lightsaber.

15. White_Knight_ES1

White_Knight_ES1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 25, 2002
    I was quite happy with the blue, green, and red sabers that GL had established. Adding a purple saber because Sam Jackson wanted one I don't agree with. Jedi should not have feminine colors like that in my opinion.

But if I could have one, it'd be a blue saber with a hilt similar to Qui-Gon's. If only someone would invent these things already.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "BOW to the power of Darth Non-Man!"---::Lights his pink lightsaber in a merry blaze of glory::

17. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Jedi should not have feminine colors like that in my opinion.

The fact that you think purple is a feminine color cracks me up! Purple is just as masculine as red or blue...

18. White_Knight_ES1

White_Knight_ES1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm glad to know that I bring amusement to the lives of others.

But in any case, let me rephrase my comment. Jedi should not have a "traditionally thought of feminine color that also has the distinction of denoting royalty, though not necessarly in today's sensibilities" color.

19. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Hey, purple is Samuel L. Jackson's favorite color and he's a man. Nuff said.

20. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I've mentioned this before on another thread, but originally George Lucas only had blue and red lightsabers. That was it. Just the two colors. Blue symbolically was always a color that represened good, and red meant evil.

Now, how did green get in the picture? ROTJ is the reason. Luke contructed a new lightsaber and originally was going to be a blue blade. I've seen old trailers that have him using the blue blade and the posters show him with a blue one. But the problem was that the blue blade didn't show up against the sand in the Sarlacc scene. So another color was needed. Now why did Lucas choose green? Well green is the direct opposite color of red. It was tested and it was perfect. Thus green became a Jedi color.

Now what about Sam Jackson's purple lightsaber. It's going to be the only purple one. That is just the way Lucas sees it and that is why you only see those colors. Now if other actors made requests on their lightsaber color like Sam Jackson did, maybe we would of have more colors.

As a lot of you know that Lucas focuses on symbols and the colors of the lightsaber is a symbolic thing for Lucas.

21. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    I thaught Stan was the man...

and it's `Nuff Said

22. Jedi_master_Plo_koon

Jedi_master_Plo_koon Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2002
    i Domt under stand... in the SW games i have playd. Plo koon has a yellow Lightsaber.
    In the movie AOTC he have a purpel.

23. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Up to help fight redundancy!

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  25. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Lightsaber-blade color symbolism has its roots in traditional color symbolism:

Red = blood, or extremely hot matter --> danger; life-threat

Green = chlorophyll --> life: growth, vegetation, food

Blue = sky, & (deep) water --> life: oxygen, relief

So of course, red is used to illustrate the evil of the death-dealing, Dark Sided Sith, and the more positive connotations of blue and green illustrate the life-sustaining, Light Side Jedi.

Also, these colors are at opposite ends of the visible light spectrum, illustrating the opposition of the Sith and Jedi, Dark Side and Light side. This adds credibility to Mace's purple blade; it's the extreme end of the spectrum, dead opposite red. He's just that much of a super-Jedi! (Then again, the only authentic explanation was that Samuel J. just wanted a purple blade!) Still, this may raise the question: why didn't Yoda have a purple blade, then, too?

AOTC made abundantly clear that this color scheme is the Way It Is in the SW Universe; anomalies such as yellow, pink, burnt sienna, etc., are unofficial and merely the whims of Hasbro or EU (ugh) / video game authors.

Still, I'd like a pure white blade . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.