main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Live Action Series General Discussion Thread (tone, plot, cast, etc)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by HyeJinx1984, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HyeJinx1984

HyeJinx1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2009
    A lot of speculation going on about who will be in the show or what the plot threads will revolve around, but I think most importantly, what do you think the tone of the show should be? Personally, I would love a darker take on the SW universe. After all, this is "the dark times" (as referred to by Ben) and would love to see a moody, harsh look at how the Empire rises to prominence after ROTS. Lucas, I believe, has made comments that he'd like for the show to be on HBO, siting the Sopranos as an influence and calling it possibly "deadwood in space"... I really hope so because aside from Republic Commando (GREAT GAME!!!) and Force Unleashed there hasn't really been a really adult take on the universe, and one of the things I love about Star Wars is that you can tell ANY kind of story within the universe. We have the high-adventure all ages movies, the kid friendly animated show... time for the adult oriented battlestar galactica approached drama? Opinions?

- Jinx!

We now have the *official* LAS thread for all the news updates, but we'll leave this one open for general discussion about your hopes and dreams and speculation about the LAS. As we get closer to release date and have more information, we'll have more specific threads going. Thanks, G_M.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I see Star Wars as a bit more of a muddled bag than just two completely seperate demographics. After all Revenge of the Sith was arguably quite an adult movie, and if some of the comments on the film just before it's release were true it could have ended up even darker, yet there is plenty in it for kids to enjoy. Then we have The Clone Wars which, although it's an animated show with lots of child friendly slapstick comedy, has plenty for adults to enjoy. To stick to a narrow minded approach towards the tone would stop the LAS from feeling like a Star Wars series IMO, because by it's nature Star Wars has a wide demographic to appeal to and has made an interesting tone for itself in the process. By removing that tone you are pretty much tearing out the soul of the motion pictures. I think the dark edgy stuff like the yuuzhan vong and brutal vendetas should be left for the EU.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  3. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    I hope to see stuff similar to the first half of A New Hope, possibly darker. A gritty, worn down world.

4. LordHibbidyhai

LordHibbidyhai Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2007
    For an example of dark Star Wars done right, I would point to the Legacy comics. They should be able to make it dark, but still inject some of the memes of star wars. Humor, action, droids, etc. And if they could make many of the episodes have a tense, edge of your seat feel, that would be good too.

5. HyeJinx1984

Apr 23, 2009
    I guess each episode could have it's own tone. From what I've heard/read though they seem to be going for a battlestar galactica feel, going as far as recruiting the writer's of that show now that it's over.

6. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    The last season should be dark.

7. HyeJinx1984

Apr 23, 2009
    Actually, in theory, shouldn't the show get "happier" in tone as it goes on, since it's getting closer to the Rebellion winning the war? This could be the opposite of the prequel related material where there's a sense of "well, whatever happens the empire is going to win..." here was have a situation "whatever happens, the empire is going to fall." There's more hope in this I think.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Actually Sven_Starcrown is right, it should get darker as the series moves along because it's taking place between 3 and 4 and the rebellion only had one major victory before the OT (unless GL decides to change this in the special, special, special edition of A New Hope's opening scrawl). Then you have to add the fact that the Empire is constantly extending it's iron grip over the galaxy, enslaving or even executing whole species in the process. It's going to be getting darker as it goes along. I think it should go no darker than ROTS though.

9. HyeJinx1984

Apr 23, 2009
    The tone of the second half of ROTS would be ideal for me personally, though I'd say less of a focus on the force-related aspects of SW and more on the military or bounty hunters or even just "the every man" living under those conditions

- Jinx!

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "The night is always darkest just before the dawn."

11. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I really, really, REALLY object to those comparisons.

Firstly, Star Wars should never be Ron Moore's BSG. I love BSG, but Star Wars is, always has been, and always should be all ages fiction. Despite the PG-13 violence of ROTS, the themes still handled the same balance of maturity as the rest of the saga. Whereas the new BSG very clearly added adult themes that were never prominent in the original.

I just don't want Ron Moore's Star Wars. I don't want Bail Organa crying in the corner with a drink in his hand while Mon Mothma shoots up on morpha, both upset that they are cheating on their spouses. That's just not Star Wars.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't want to be depressed while watching Star Wars. :) There's an economic recession going on and two wars. Regular life is bad enough without Star Wars becoming a bummer. I really hate the suggestion that Star Wars must pander to its "adult" audience because we refuse to grow up.

In actuality, I don't see the real show ever being this dark, but the "expectations" of the audience are already beginning to snowball.

12. HyeJinx1984

Apr 23, 2009
    So I take it that you don't watch The Phantom Menace anymore?

I keed, I keed... couldn't help myself on that one ;)

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I was never depressed about Star Wars until I got the internet. :_|;)

14. HyeJinx1984

Apr 23, 2009
    Oh, you played Galaxies! You poor, poor thing...

15. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Star Wars Galaxies is a fun game. I love playing that!

Is the show really gonna be on HBO? Please don't be! I don't have HBO, and I will probably never order it, and I CANNOT miss this show!

16. HyeJinx1984

Apr 23, 2009
    It was never said explicitly, it just seems to be a big possibility. I remember reading a GL quote where he sited it as a strong possibility.

17. Sven_Starcrown

Mar 10, 2009

Is the show really gonna be on HBO? Please don't be! I don't have HBO, and I will probably never order it, and I CANNOT miss this show!

I watched the whole Clone Wars series on Youtube.

18. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    We don't know yet what network(s) it will be on.

19. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    With Stargate Universe taking the Stargate franchise into new territory... more edgier, more darker, etc... while keeping true to what makes it Stargate (that is still retain the humour and that... from what reports are saying).

Maybe Lucasfilm could take notes from what Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper are doing at the moment.

20. brainwash

brainwash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2009
    I'd love a real mix between ROTS and ANH in style, kind of like the Dark Times comic, but I'd hope the writing comes off more like the movies between being intense and mature while being adventurous and fun. Not to mention doing its own thing the whole time.

21. mrmdee23

mrmdee23 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2009
    I'm hoping it'll be a combination of post-attack Battlestar Galactica and Soviet-era fear that dominates the tone of the series.

Dark and fearful. Then rebellious.

22. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    That's funny, I never saw sexual metaphors in SW until I got the internet. Actually, that can be said of any children's movie.

23. DeadOrAlive

DeadOrAlive Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2009
    I know a lot people might disagree with me, but I think the LAS should be the anti-TPM. There should be no Jar Jar, no cutesie stuff, no farting eopies, none of that kiddie crap. This series should be geared towards a more mature audience, mainly towards adults and teenagers. Sorry kiddies, but you already have TCW. This series should be everything that the older fans hoped for the PT to be before it came out, and I'm a PT fan. I think the mood should be dark, edgy, and it should move the franchise a totally new direction than we have ever seen.

24. Sven_Starcrown

Mar 10, 2009
    I agree.

Not Galactica dark, but dark.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    No references to the EU. Must be fresh and establish the norm like the movies and new clone war series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.