main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO ***Official Movie Discussion Thread***.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by quigon_brian, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Saw Shrek 2 today. It was really cute. Puss in Boots stole the show IMO. He reminded me of my cat when we did the helpless eyes.

I think the first one was better, but this one was still funny. Good movie jokes and references. Nice moral at the end once again.

2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Everyone I have talked to about Shrek 2 has said that it is an awesome movie. Not as good as the first one but it was good.

Well, maybe I will have time to go on a movie watching spree...after faire of course. ;)

Anyone seen The Day After Tomorrow?

3. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Yeah, I saw it. It was "ok", I didn't expect it to be great, but it wasn't horrible. Reminds me, Dajuan, I saw you at Midrivers when I saw it, sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello...very cool shirt Randy had on, btw :).

4. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Ewww, you went to midrivers? I can't stand going in there for any reason, including to see a movie. That mall has been overrun by young people for way to long.

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    His pull my finger shirt, sigh at least it's Star Wars. I didn't see you at all Pat, that stinks!

Yeah Midrivers generally sucks, but they have good toys stores. That's why we were there instead of Jamestown, my general favorite theater. I've already had to leave Midrivers theater in the middle of a movie because of the stupid noisy kids and their rude remarks in the movies. Got free tickets out of that one.

6. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah, Midrivers is only a couple miles from my house, but for movies I drive past it and go to the St. Charles 18. Anyway, now we are to the point when I won't go into that mall for a few months, all the kids being out of school and such. If I absolutely have to go in there, its during the school day.

7. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Jamestown? That place is trashy!!!

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Jamestown? That place is trashy!!!

Hey now! It's not as bad as Northwest Plaza, and I can handle the crowds there better than other malls. The theater is also awesome.

9. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    i used to go to jamestown, then i discovered the mills, so thats where i go now

*edit* plus i like the nascar place

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    You like Nascar dudeman?? Awesome!! I thought I was the only one here that liked racing. :D

I love the Mills theater, but gas prices the way they are, I usually go to the one, sadly, at Mid Rivers Mall. Yes, there are immature children running around all the time, but you learn to ignore them. Either that, or you just tick them off so much that they leave. ;)

11. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Hey, Mid Rivers has REALLY good sound, atleast.

12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Well, if the sound doesn't cut out, like it did once for me. The whole sound just cut out and the radio they play before the movies came on, right at a dramatic scene in the movie!! :(

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Harry Potter was a serious disappointment, but more on that later. I get to see it again tonight [face_worried]

14. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    A disappointment!? It was brilliant! Especially the ending. More of Black would've been nice though.

15. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    *bounce*

ok, I saw Van Helsing a few weeks ago (2 I think) it was a great movie.

Don't go see it if you want an in depth movie with lots of thinking. This ain't it. It's a nice "let's kill everything and sort it all out in the end movie"

oh, and rent Van Helsing: The London Assignment. It's a cartoon that's a prequel, it's hilarious.

and I'll admit that I saw the movie because of Dave Wenham (who plays Carl) he's soo funny in this movie. Has all the best lines ;)

I haven't seen Troy yet, though mom and me might go. Although, to be honest, the commercials make me want to cry with how historically inaccurate it is. (In case you didn't know, ancient Greeks fought naked... that would really get a lot of people to see the movie.. [face_devil] and the fighting styles.. oy, don't get me started... ok, I'll shut up now, its just the history major in me freaking out :p)

oh, mom and me might drag my brother to see Garfield just cuz Jeff says its goina bomb and it'll be fun to force him to see it [face_devil]

there was something else I wanna see, but I can't remember what it is right now.

16. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    The MRS. and I went to the Skyview Drive-In Friday night. We saw The Day After Tomorrow and Man on Fire.

Day After Tomorrow, personally, I could take it or leave it. IMO, it was o.k. at best.

Now, Man on Fire was really good. It surprised me because honestly I had no interest in this movie from the previews I saw and I'm not a big Denzel fan (Training Day rocked though). I probably would not have gone to see it, if it wasn't the second movie of a double feature. But I have to tell ya - I definitely recommend it.

17. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    ooo, the Skyview! fantastic place! they were goina shut it down for a while, wonder why they changed their minds...

18. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Dajuan, you never told us, what was dissapointing about Harry Potter?

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Oh so many things.

(Spoiler warning, book and movie)

1. The whole feel of the movie was different. There was less magic in general, if felt so ordinary at Hogwarts this time. They especially could have made Hogsmeade so awe inspiring, but instead it was ordinary.

2. All of the family plot points I felt were important were gone. IE, who made the map, why the stag was important, why Sirus was a dog.

3. Ron and Hermione's fight. I mean that fight lasted most of the book! They only bicker in the movie

4. Hermione's timer. She only pops up a few times, not like she really did. It was only mentioned in passing, not a major source of mystery

5. Too little Trelawny (sp?) time. She's so important to the plot in this book and later ones, she barely has screen time. They don't make her out to be the fraud she is. They needed to show how she twists her "predictions" to fit whatever she needs. Missed on this one

6. Too much action scenes. They turned the movie into an action movie!

This was my favorite book of all 5 HP books. It had so many things going on, and the best mystery. The movie lacked all the things that made it my favorite.

20. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Did you see it at the science center? I'm planning on seeing it there, hopefully it's not tooo dizzying sitting there for two hours...

21. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I saw it there and the regular theater. It's 2.5 hours, so it's a long one. Not very dizzying either, just warped a little at the sides.

22. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Glad I have no interest in Harry Potter to be disappointed at the theaters. ;)

BTW, I read the movie novel to King Arthur, based on the original script. Guys, this movie is going to kick some serious butt. I say for the July Meeting, if we haven't picked a place yet, we should go see this movie. ;) I can't wait for it to come out. Of course, I'm all into the medieval days... Sometimes I wish I was born back then. Don't know a lot of the cast members in that movie though, just Kiera Knightley, I haven't heard of the others. Here's a list though:

Clive Owen .... King Arthur
    Stephen Dillane .... Merlin
    Keira Knightley .... Guinevere
    Ioan Gruffudd .... Lancelot
    Stellan Skarsgård .... Cedric
    Ray Winstone .... Bors
    Hugh Dancy .... Galahad
    Ray Stevenson .... Dagonet
    Til Schweiger .... Cynric
    Charlie Creed-Miles .... Ganis
    Joel Edgerton .... Gawain
    Mads Mikkelsen .... Tristan
    Sean Gilder
    Pat Kinevane .... Horton
    Ken Stott .... Marcus Honorius

Oh yeah, and in order for this movie to get a PG-13 rating, they would have to edit out half of the movie script. Yes, it's that violent. At least the book was. Major choppage. Lots of fire. Pretty violent deaths for characters. Think Boromir's death in LOTR with more arrows.

Anyways, this movie is going to rock. Really anticipation this one.

23. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Okay, time to start laying down some reviews for this summer's "blockbusters"

The first summer movie I saw this year was The Day After Tomorrow. Not a whole lot to say about this movie. It doesn't waste any time getting to the action. It's basically the story of what's going to happen when Mother Earth fights back against all the bad things we do to her. A new ice age is brought on and a geologist (I think) travels north to rescue his son (Jake Gyllenhall) from New York. It drags in a few spots, but overall a pretty fast-pased movie.
    Going into this, I expected it to be really good because it's by the same guy that directed Independence Day. Of course then I remembered that he also directed Godzilla.
    My final grade: C+

Coming Soon: Shrek 2 and Dodgeball

24. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Joel Edgarton is the guy that played the young uncle Owen in Episode two. I didn't really recognize too many names on that list either.

25. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Dodgeball was awesome, for one thing you can't go wrong with Milton(Office Space) in a movie. Overall it was hilarious.

Does anyone know when spiderman 2 comes out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.