main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Official Movie Reviews Thread: 2003

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Elan-Rai, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    I got this idea from one of the other forums and thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's criticisms regarding movies seen in 2002. Feel free to chime in and tell us all what you think stinks and rocks from Hollywood! :D

So, who wants to go first? ?[face_plain]

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    "Undercover Brother" was surprisingly funny. It's one of the few comedies I'd seen in a while that didn't have all the funny material contained within a 60-second trailer.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] 1/2 (out of ten)

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I really liked "minority report".it has a great story line and some great special effects.I thought it wasnt as far fetched i as had expected.Its placed 50 years in the future and other than the cars going everywhere by themselves it was pretty reasonable.I would recommend it.
    skip

4. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I really liked "minority report".it has a great story line and some great special effects.I thought it wasnt as far fetched as i had expected.Its placed 50 years in the future and other than the cars going everywhere by themselves it was pretty reasonable.I would recommend it.
    skip

5. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I was quite dissapointed with "Scooby Doo." It seemed even cheesier than the cartoon. There was one scene that was nothing but belching and farting, which in my opinion is rarely, if ever, funny. I wasn't crazy about some of the casting either. Maybe the sequel will be better.

6. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    hmm.... let's see SW- 15 out of 12 :D

minority report 7 out of 10 :D i liked the humor and music too!

Scooby Doo - i thought it was hilarious...i laughed so hard during that 'one scene'...but i have a sick twisted sense of humor. ;) i didn't like that they used a few choice words in a kids film (am picky about that), but i thought the production was good, very colorful, imaginative...

just my 2c

7. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    I just saw MIIB & was thoroughly disappointed. It was your typical sequel for the sake of getting more money out of a franchise without introducing anything entirely new or remotely interesting. The two best things about this movie were the Chub Chubs animated featurette before the film & the talking dog in the movie. Other than that, I would wait for it to come out on video.

On a bright note, I got to see some cool new trailers:

Star Trek Nemesis- The Federation vs. Space Nazis- the last Star Trek Next Generation movie.

LOTR Two Towers- Looks absolutely awesome. I can't wait to see the battles between the men & the Orks. It's going to rock!

Road to Perdition looks to be a sure winner. With a cast consisiting of Newman, Hanks, & Law, it will at least get great box office numbers opening weekend. The story looks to be a good one too.

Also, Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets is going to be really good, for those who liked Harry Potter & the Sorcers stone. I just got done reading the last two books & an now totally hooked. What a great Franchise. If this movie is even half as good as the book, I think I'll see it at least twice. :)

8. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Saw MiB II tonight. It was about what I expected, so I thought it was ok. I have no idea what a chub chub is, they didn't have that in the theater I went to. Trailers I saw were for LIKE MIKE, CROC HUNTER, and AUSTIN POWERS 3, which I was wasn't a fan of the first two...watched them on somebody's else's rental.

9. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    For those of you who want to see a few trailers, apple.com/trailers has a bunch of new ones. Terminator 3 was okay, but The Two Towers is a must-see (and you can download a full-screen version). Star Trek: Nemesis is good to watch, too.

10. mynocknotyours

mynocknotyours Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Briefly...
    Minority Report-awesome and believable. A good example of how special effects support the story and not the other way around.
    MIB II-horrible...effects sub-par and simply nothing new here. One or two funny bits in an otherwise huge waste of time.
    About A Boy--Slow at first but a genuinely funny and moving film with great performances all around.
    Sum of All Fears--Pretty good, but what alternate universe are they gonna stick Mr. Ryan in next time? Continuity is not, obviously, a priority for the filmakers on this series.
    The Bourne Identity-Terrific, great acting and story...the ending was a bit too tidy for me...
    Ya Ya Sisterhood--Yeah, definitely a chick flick, but guys have to see these on occasion. I enjoyed it but from what I understand, if you've read the book, you will be VERY dissapointed, not at all what you'd expect...strays quite a bit from the novel.
    Lilo and Stich--Cute, but I have come to expect quite a bit more from Disney, and I was a little let down that only a few characters are very memorable.
    Attack of the Clones--Unbelievably bad....Just kidding! I really do love this movie, it's definately not perfect but it had many, many elements that has had me coming back for more every other week or so. My faith in the franchise and hopes for Ep III have been fully restored. Go see it again!!!

11. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I have seen 15 movies this summer. But only 2 different ones.... The other one was SpiderMan. It was OK. I like the way they handled the characters, but the last half hour was the same old hollywood stuff.

mynock- Did ya know that Sum of All Fears is a prequal. Keep that in mind when thinking of continuity.

Kanos- After your report, I wanna go see a movie just for the previews.

12. mynocknotyours

mynocknotyours Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah, I'm aware that "Sum..." is a prequel...so why does it take place in the present day? That would mean the other films should be set in the future, which they are not. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the flick, but stuff like that gets on my nerves.

13. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    Oh... I dont know.
    I havent seen it yet. I thought it was because it was a prequal. Oh well. I probably wont see it until video anyway.

14. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Here are a few I've seen:

Sum of All Fears: 7/10

I thought this was really a good movie. I haven't really kept up with the Jack Ryan timeline, so the fact that this was a prequel had no effect on me. I thought Ben Affleck's portrayal as Ryan came across very nicely. It was a new take. ;) The plot became somewhat predictable as the movie went on, but I really don't believe it affected my opinion of the movie.

The Bourne Identity: 9/10

What an original concept this was for me. I hadn't seen anything quite like this until now. I seemed Damon pulled off his character very well and believable. It was truly an intense movie right up until the end. This reminded me of the good ol' days when Bond actually was worth watching. [face_laugh]

Minority Report: 10/10

Rarely would I give a movie this high of a rating, but this was a stunner! This movie kept me on the edge of my seat throughout and perplexed my idea of what was to come. The tone of the movie was superb! I loved the color of this movie. It wasn't black and white, but neither was it color. It was really cool. This movie reminded me of Cruise's first Mission Impossible. This movie is a must see and "see-it-again" for me. Loved it!

Men in Black II: 8/10

While this isn't great in the originality factor, I believe it lives up to its predecessor in many ways. The same humor is there, as well as somewhat off-color remarks. Frank the dog is a total laughing stock! The part where he is listening to the "Who Let The Dogs Out?" was memorable to say the least! I thought Will Smith took Agent J to the next level. We see a little more drama in him, but his funny-factor still shines through. The "Chubb Chubb" featurette had to be one of the most funny and original shorts I have ever seen! I think I was rolling in my seat the whole way. [face_laugh] I probably wouldn't recommend this for small children as there is a little bit of language. ;)

Scooby Doo: 9/10

While I may not agree with my peers on this one, I thought this movie was right on the mark for who it was targeted. I went in thinking that this show was going to be corny toddler lines throughout. I cannot believe how hard I laughed through this movie. Now, this movie may not have had all that much substance in plot, etc., I felt it was lighthearted and funny. The voices of Scoob and Shaggy were right on the money. Sarah Michelle Gellar played Daphne to a T, except for the martial arts she learned over a short period of time. Regardless, she was spot on. Freddie Prinze, Jr. probably could have portrayed Fred a tad better, but some of his scenes were done nicely. The scene on the beach with his "ebonics" impression was hillarious! All in all, this movie is great for most audiences, but I wouldn't recommend it for your serious movie-goers. You know who you are. [face_laugh]

15. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Am I the only one who doesn't know what a "chub chub" is?

16. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    No Scruff, You are not the only one.
    Come on you guys. Give us the skinny on "chub chub"s.

17. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Are you sure you want us to spoil it for you? ;)

18. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    My brother saw MiB II at the Thoroughbred. He told me he saw more than just the 3 trailers I saw in M'Boro, and he explained chub chubs.

19. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    It looks as if the super hero revolution has begun. There are so many new super hero movies coming out that I've heard of recently that its unreal. Today, they just released the first teaser trailer for X-Men 2 You can get it here:

X-men 2 Trailer Requires Quicktime 5 or better
    NOTE: THE X-MEN MOVIE TRAILER HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE WEBSITE AND WAS EVIDENTLY ONLY MEANT TO BE RELEASED FOR A SHORT PERIOD If you missed it, I'm sure it will be attached to some movie probably during the holidays

Also, I just recently found out about the new series starting in October called "Birds of Prey" . For those of you, like me who like Batman & Alias, this one is going to be a real treat. You can check out the 5 minute trailer for it here: Birds of Prey Spots. I think this is a great idea for series. It pits the heroines& villainesses of the BATMAN series against each other. It includes Batgirl, Harley Quin, & get this, BATMAN & CATWOMAN HAD A DAUGHTER! She is the focal Heroine of this series. Her name is Helena Kyle & her Alias is "Huntress".

There is also Daredevil starring Ben Afleck coming out in February, the Hulk, & just recently announced (& then put on hold) Batman vs Superman.

So, between these movies, & the new Spider-man franchise, I think the wait for Episode III may not appear so long this time, as we will have plenty of movies that should be cool to hold us over until then. :)

20. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I can't wait for "birds of prey"! sounds awesome!
    On a movie review note, I've seen XXX twice
    (now though I love Vin please read on)
    It was a great action flick!!!! Check it out! I know a few of you are going to give me a hard time over this one...

21. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I saw it too and enjoyed it. Good action flick, that's for sure. :)

22. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    I downloaded and saved that BoP trailer about 2 months ago. They've borrowed from several different Batman continuities and created a new one. The original Huntress (1950s) was the daughter of a MARRIED Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle.

I'll have to check out the X-Men trailer now.

23. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    You can catch the new trailer for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets this Thursday, 9/12/02 on the WB:

During the one-hour premiere of FAMILY AFFAIR on Thursday, September 12, 7:00 p.m. CST, The WB will air the world premiere of the first full-length trailer for the movie, which will be released in theaters in North America and in the U.K. on Friday, November 15.

24. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Wonder when the trailer will be on the internet (officially, I mean... not the bootlegs).

25. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    MOVIE UPDATE!!!
    For those of you, like me, who look forward to the "other" sci-fi movies in the interim between Episodes II & III

Lord of the Rings- The Two Towers. The middle Chapter of J.R.R. Tolkiens trilogy:

NEW TRAILER!

Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets. The Second Chapter in the Harry Potter Series. It's Year #2 & Harry discovers the power behind Slytherin as he, Hermione & Ron discover more than they bargained for about being a student at Hogwarts:

Harry potter COS trailer#2 HIGH RES ------- LOW RES

Star Trek Nemesis: Your guess as to the true plot is about as good as mine, but it is the last movie of the Next Generation & looks Uber Cool!

HIGH RES TRAILER -------LOW RES TRAILER

James Bond 007 Die Another Day:
    High Res Trailer

FYI For any movie that is coming out, you can check for the latest movie trailers at DARKHORIZONS.COM

AND, For those who didn't get to see the Teasers for the New Matrix Reloaded & Revolution movies coming out in May of 2003, here it is: MATRIX RELOADED

Note: All require Quicktime 5

And I'll see Y'all at the movies!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.