main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Official Movie Reviews Thread: 2003

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Elan-Rai, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Here's a transcript of the Neo/Architect dialogue for those of you (like me) who needed it repeated:

Architect: hello Neo.

Neo: Who are you?

Architect: I am the Architect. I created the Matrix I've been waiting for you.
    You have many questions, and though the process has altered your consciousness you remain irrevocably human ergo some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not.
    Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realise it is also the most irrelevant.

Neo: Why am I here?

Architect: Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. you are the eventuallity of an anomaly which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden asciduously avoided it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you inexorably....here

Neo: You haven't answered my question.

Architect: Quite right. Interesting...that was quicker than the others.

(TV "Neo"s:
    Others [how many others?] what others? answer my question!)

Architect: The matrix is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the 6th version.

(Tv Neos:
    5 ones before me? 4...3..2.. what are you talking about? There are only 2 possible explanations, either no one told me....)
    Neo: ...or no one knows.

Architect: Precisely. As you are undoubtedly gathering, the anomaly is systemic--creating fluctuations in even the most simplistic equations.

(Tv Neos:
    You can't contol me!
    I'm gonna smash the wall
    I'll ****** kill you!
    etc..)

Neo: Choice. The problem is choice.

Cut to Trinity vs Agent.

Architect: The first Matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art...flawless, sublime. And triumphed equally only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being. Thus. I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. However, I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus the answer was stumbled upon by another--An intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the father of the matrix, she would undoubtedly be its Mother.

Neo: The Oracle.

Architect: Please. As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99% of all test subjects accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice...even if they were only awar e of the choice at a near unconscious level. While this answer functioned, it was obviously fundamentally flawed, thus creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that if left unchecked might threaten the system itself. Ergo those that refused the program, while a minority, if unchecked would constitute an escalating probablility of disaster.

Neo: This is about Zion.

Architect: You are here because Zion is about to be destroyed--its every living inhabitant terminated, its entire existance eradicated.

Neo: Bull****
    (TV Neos:
    Bull****!
    Bull****!
    Bull****!)

Architect: Denial is the most predictable of all human responses, but rest assured...this will be the 6th time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

Cut to Trinity vs Agent

Architect: The function of the One is now to return to the Source, allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you cary, reinserting the prime program. After which, you will be required to selevt from the matrix 23 individuals--16 females, 7 male--to rebuild Zion. Failure to comply with this process will result in a cataclysmic system crash, killing everyone connected to the Matrix, which c

2. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Okay, after reading that about 4 times I understand about as much of it as I did the first time. [face_laugh]

Anywho, I am sure most of this will be explained in the conclusion.

3. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Here's a translation into English (as best I can understand it without a degree in quantum philosophy):

1. You're a human -- you won't understand what I'm about to say.

2. The presence of The One is an anomaly in the Matrix that can't be removed.

3. This is not the second version of the Matrix (as the first movie led us to believe), but the sixth.

4. The first Matrix was a human paradise, which was a disaster (what Agent Smith said in the first movie), since humans are naturally imperfect.

5. The Oracle is a program that helped redesign the Matrix.

6. The new Matrix is accepted by 99% of the people. Those that rejected the program are those people that ended up in Zion.

7. Zion is about to be destroyed for the sixth time.

8. Neo has a choice to make. Either he can select 23 people from the Matrix to rebuild Zion after it is destroyed, and preserve the human race, or he can allow both Zion and the humans in the Matrix to die.

9. If Neo chooses the door on the right, he'll go pick the 23 people to rebuild Zion after it is destroyed, perpetuating the Matrix and the human race. If he goes through the door on the left, he can go try to rescue Trinity, but risk the extinction of the human race.

10. Neo chooses the door on the left.

4. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I got to see an advanced screening of The Italian Job this evening with some friends from work.

*******SPOILDERS AHEAD*******
    *******SPOILDERS AHEAD*******

This is a "heist" film, similar to Ocean's Eleven, Bandits, The Score, etc. It's a pretty decent film, it comes dangerously close to a formula flick several times, but avoids the biggest and worst Hollywood cliches that you are certain are going to happen.
    Mark "Marky Mark" Whalberg is the main star in this film. Edward Norton is the bad guy, Charlize Theron is the girl. Throughout the film you are sure that Whalberg and Theron are going to jump in the sack togethor. In one scene, Theron's character is crying in her hotel room, Marky Mark comes into comfert her, and he even sits on the bed next to her. You are sure that they will be suckin' face in no time but the film never goes there, thankfully.
    Seth Green is also in the film and he's funny as usual. I must say I'm a fan of his now. He's funny but he can be more than just a comic side-kick.
    If you've seen many of these hiest flicks you'll know the cast. You've got the explosives guy, you've the two-faced guy who stabs everyone in the back (Edward Norton, who played a similar role in The Score), you've got the horny techno-geek/computer-whiz/l33t h4x0r (Seth Green), etc.
    Marky Mark is not leading man material, IMHO. He's better at supporting roles. He just doesn't have the presence. He's not a bad actor, but he seems to be good at playing one type of character and his performance is the same from film to film.
    This film has lots of car stunts that involve 3 really small BMW's, a helicopter, armored cars, and some motorbikes.
    Donald Sutherland has a brief appearance at the begining of the film. Sutherland's character is killed by Norton's character, and the rest of the heist team swears revenge on him. Theron plays Sutherland's daughter and you expect that either she or Marky Mark will end up killing Norton in the end in the all-too-typical movie showdown where both good guy and bad guy have no weapons and are fighting hand to hand. The good guy gets beat at first but then gets the best of the bad guy, decides to be merciful (since the good guy still can't be good and exact revenge) and let's him go, but the bad guy explodes into some rage and the good guy is forced to kill him self defense. I figured Marky mark would do this since the girl never gets to kill in these movies.
    None of that happens, they stay out of the trap and the film is better for it.

I'd give the film a B-/C+. It's not bad, but not great either.

5. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Now that I have seen the Matrix I have read over the Architect dialoge. I dont think it takes a whole lot of quantam physics to understand. I think the important thing to come out of it is that the Matrix only works if human have a choice AND that is its only flaw.

Hama, you did a good job translating but I think you got one thing wrong. This is not the 6th version of the Matrix. "emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next" in other words there have been 6 "The One"s. The Matrix remains intact while Zion is destroyed. The Architect only spoke of 3 Matrix's. There may have been more but we can only determain that there have been at least 3 Matrix's.

Matt and I were talking about Neo's new found powers at the end of the movie. Well I have come up with a theory:
    If 'The One' is an "intergral anomaly" from the Matrix then he is NOT human, but a program. This would explain why he had power over the sentinal, but he is the only program that can exist outside the Matrix. This is the power of "the one". But now Smith can too. This is what he ment when he said he is "set free".

6. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Interesting theory Michael, but I don't know about him being "a program". The anomoly part I think is a mental ability that allows him to exist within the matrix, but not behave according to "its rules". That is why Agent Smith says he has been set free. He is no longer subjegated to the rules of the Matrix, but perhaps to a lesser extent than neo other than the fact that he can copy himself like a virus to another agent or sentient being. He also said that he believes he absorbed part of Neo, which I think means that the encoding that Neo reads as when he is in the Matrix has engrained itself upon Agent Smiths programming. I also think Neo's power outside of the Matrix is kind of like Luke's discovery in Shadows of the Empire that he can utilize the Force at will & sense everything around him. Neo's mind is linked to anything of the Matrix whether that be within or without. That is why he can feel the Sentinels. HE IS THE ONE! This doesn't necessarily mean that he can manipulate any other objects outside that are not of the Matrix. However, we see the result, which puts him in a coma.

I just hope that the Wachowsky brothers don't think they have to rationalize it any other way like Lucas introducing midichlorians as a conduit for the Force. It diminishes the wonder of it in my opinion.

7. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I am thinking that there is a matrix within a matrix. A "failsafe" so-to-speak. He could have the power within the inner matrix as well as the outer matrix.

It wouldn't surprise me if we find out that one of the "good guys" like Trinity is an agent herself. ;)

Even though The Architect dialogue is confusing in the way he says it, I agree that a lot of it makes sense, but still a lot of it doesn't. Most of what I gathered from it you can take any number of ways. I guess that is what the last movie is for, eh? [face_laugh]

BTW: Maybe we should start a Matrix Revolutions speculation thread?

8. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I went to see Finding Nemo last week. It was AWESOME.
    Pixar is an absolutly amazing studio. I would rank Nemo as their 3rd best. That may seem low when you concider that they only have 5 movies but the Toy Story 1 & 2 come in 1st and 2nd. And I think those are 2 of the funniest movies of all time.

9. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I am eagerly wanting to see this movie.

(Kind of funny. I wouldn't have said that a year or so ago. [face_laugh] )

I read in a column somewhere that they thought it was Pixar's best yet. Even if it's not, I am sure it'll be great. I'll have to take my son and 5-year-old nephew to see this.

10. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Dumb and Dumberer

Terrible. One of the least funny comedies I've seen in a while. The original movie was clever, witty, and hilarious. The prequel was none of those things. About the only thing I laughed at was a scene involving a melted chocolate bar (and I'm almost ashamed to admit that I laughed at that). Don't waste your money.

[face_laugh] ½ out of five.

Oh, yeah... there was a guy a couple of rows back that snored through half the movie. Seriously.

11. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Holy smoke. And they played out a good trailer for the movie too. Guess I'll wait for a DVD rental. [face_laugh]

12. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Same here. WOW! I guess all the good parts were in the trailer. Well, I hope they made their money on it because the big green guy is coming to town this weekend & I think he is going to pulverize the dumb ones at the box office. Just wait until the puns start coming out between the Hulk & the color of money. :p Its so obvious that I don't think the reporters will be able to resist.

I also heard from a friend at work that Hollywood Homicide with Harrison Ford was surprisingly good. I just had too much to do this last weekend to take time out to go see a movie, but I wanted to.

Anybody up for seeing the HULK this weekend?

13. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Definitely be interested in seeing The Hulk.

I wish, I wish, I wish I had gone to Hollywood Homicide or Finding Nemo instead of Dumb and Dumberer.

14. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Scott,

Any definate plans for a group HULK outing? (Yeah, it's gray--oldschool!) I think I may be going to see it tomorrow night with the little lady, and we'll probably be going to the Thorobred. Let me know and maybe we can all meet up somewhere, and I can bring your Boba Fett, too.

15. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to a Friday or Saturday night show (gotta work). Sunday afternoon or evening would be better for me (although you might want to see it a second time, anyway).

16. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Sunday afternoon/ evening is typically the best day for me too. Unless its later, like 9:00 on Friday, I don't know if I would be able to make it or not.

17. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Here are the times for THE HULK at the Thoroughbred20 in Cool Springs:

12:30
    1:00
    2:00
    3:30
    4:05
    5:00
    6:45
    7:10
    8:00
    9:45
    10:15
    11:00

Running time is 138 minutes (2 hours 14 minutes) add at least 16 minutes of commericals & previews & thats 2-1/2 hours.

18. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Looks like we'll actually be going to the Roxy in Dickson just because it's closer. Showtimes there are:

12:05 (better hurry!)
    4:00
    7:00
    9:45

19. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I don't blame you for wanting to go to a closer theater. I'm litterally 5 minutes away from the Thoroughbred, but work has been crazy lately & I don't know what time I'll get out tonight. I hope you enjoy it though. :)

Anybody up for seeing it late Sunday afternoon?

20. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    EDIT: Looks like my church will need me at 3:30 for Vacation Bible School rehearsal. 6:45 would be the best showtime for me.

21. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, Amy's in Waverly so Franklin would be a good hour away. We can be in Dickson in about 20 minutes.

And I can't make it Sunday--my Sunday is PACKED!

22. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    6:45 Sunday sounds fine with me.

Anybody else want to meet up to go see "the Hulk" on Sunday?

23. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

I was skeptical about this movie from the moment I heard it was in production. The trailers got me excited about this movie, though. I thought it could be almost as good as T2. I thought it was good, overall. Then again, the last two movies that I saw were Dumb and Dumberer and The Hulk, so it doesn't take much to impress me right now.

Good points: Lots of explosions, spectacular car wrecks, good special effects, and Kristanna Loken is a babe. Nick Stahl was a good John Connor, and Arnold looked pretty good (except for a few script problems -- see below).

Bad points: In what coulda/shoulda/woulda been the highlight of the movie (the car chase with the crane), there was no exciting music being played (like in T2 when the T-1000 was chasing John in the big rig early in the movie). Kristanna Loken's T-X, despite all the cool toys, was just not as cool a villain as Robert Patrick's T-1000.

What will make you cringe: Too many cheap laughs. T2's humor was more subtle, and more appropriate. I really didn't need to see Arnold putting on a pair of star-shaped glittery sunglasses or say "Talk to the hand!"

My opinion: Worth seeing, but go to a matinee and save money. A good movie, but the third best in the Terminator series.

24. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I can sum up what is missing with this movie in two words, "James Cameron".

While I agree that the special effects & the explosions were awesome, thats what 98% of what this movie is. The plot is extremely thin and the movie doesn't go into much detail about why Skynet still exists, other than, OOH :eek: we killed the wrong guy in T2! Miles Dyson wasn't the brains behind the whole thing! It was a General in charge of military operations WHAT?!!! :eek: It just didn't make sense to me that a general with weapons technology information would be able to still be able to develop skynet without a technical engineer like Miles Dyson that had access to the future technology that took them, as he said, "in directions we would have never thought of" . Thats only the beginning of things that made me go HMMM. ?[face_plain]

If you are looking for a mindless non-stop action movie & just want to watch a good popcorn flick, go see T3. If you are wanting something that is going to stimulate you intellectually, then go see the Matrix Reloaded. T3 fell short of its predecessors, which was expected without Cameron, but I agree that it was better than the Hulk.

I give it 2-1/2 stars out of 5 :)

25. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES

Well, after a few days since its debut I finally got to watch this movie. And to my surprise, I actually enjoyed most of it.

The characters: I thought Nick Stahl made an excellent John Conner. He played the role well and brought back memories of Kyle Reese from T1. Claire Danes worked her character well in most spots. There were times I wished she just strut her stuff. About mid-way through... she did. ;) Arnold is, well, Ahh-nold. Some may not like his humor, but I thought it was well devised. The "Talk to the hand!" line seemed appropriate to me because that's Terminator! Without those lines, this movie wouldn't be T3. ;) He kicks major butt in T3, but his nemesis slightly has the upper hand. Which leads me to TX, Kristanna Loken. WOW! What a cool Terminatrix. She has all the abilities of the T-1000 and then some. Her persona fits the bill well. No hair out of place. No smirks. VERY rare facial personality. A sexy no-nonsense killing machine!

The plot: Well, I thought it was there. TX is sent to kill Conner's lieutenants, captains, etc. In the process, TX finds out that Conner is nearby. Ahhh, two birds with one shotgun. ;) I won't say it was a letdown, but the ending left me hollow. I don't want to spoil it for anybody, but just remember the name, "Rise of the Machines", as it is well... foreshadowing.

Summation: I didn't feel any plot holes. It seemed to me that Dyson (from T2) was a lender in the help to create cyborgs, not SkyNet. Besides, I doubt one or two guys invented these two things anyway. The machines AI was the vulnerability long before SkyNet was activated. This "virus" taking over was the machines' set up. Allowing SkyNet to take over was just the final blow, IMHO.

While I agree that this isn't the most intellectually bound movie of the summer, it was well worth the money I spent. This movie has to have some of the THE best explosions I've seen in a movie, hands down. The acting was par. The plot was great, or at least it was for me. Edge of your seat chases... good movie. Just be ready for the shocker ending. ;)

I give it 4 stars out of 5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.