main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX **OFFICIAL** New Members Welcome to Houston FanForce!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Queenie Amidala, Jun 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    This is an exciting time for the Houston FanForce. We're a brand new, official chapter, and we finally have a City Rep. I am very excited to see the directions our chapter will head into. We're a very large city, and we have lots of things going for us.

One of those things is Star Wars fans. In a city as big as Houston, you couldn't expect any less than a large SW following. We seem to be growing in numbers daily. I love seeing all the new members post on this board, and I can't wait to meet everyone in person at the meetings.

That being said, since we seem to have so many new posters, I thought it would be nice to have a thread for everyone to come in and introduce themselves. This will give everyone a chance to step their feet into our board, have members welcome them and help them out in any way they might need, and (hopefully) keep redundancy down.

So...Welcome, everyone! We're extremely glad you are here!

Our City Rep is Darth-Stryphe (David). You'll notice him on the board by his blue username colors. His job basically is that of a leader. He organizes and coordinates our meetings and the official business of our chapter.

For any questions on what our City Rep does, what FanForce is all about, etc., please check out the Fanforce FAQ (what's this all about?) thread. It will answer many of your questions. If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to post them, or to notify any of our members. We're all here for you!

So, tell us about yourselves. How'd you here about TheForce.net's Jedi Council and/or FanForce? What do you love about Star Wars? What do you do? etc. We're happy you're here, and we want to know about you. So, again...Welcome!

:D

2. Padme_Dawn

Padme_Dawn Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Hi all! I've only posted a couple of times, but I'm excited about the Houston FanForce. I'm an older SW fan (37) and I live in Katy. My husband likes SW too, but not to the extent that I do! I've only seen AOTC once (we both took a day off of work to see the first showing at the Katy Mills AMC), but now that school is out for the summer (I'm a Elementary Music teacher in Cy-Fair ISD), I plan to see it more! Anyone out there from or near Katy?

I first checked out the CityForums when I moved to Houston from Mississippi 2 years ago, hoping to find a group to share my SW obsession. I was disappointed to see that Houston was really not represented. With the opening of AOTC coming up, I decided to check back, and lo and behold, things were brewing! I have not attended a meeting yet, but I plan to attend the one this month. I am a little anxious about meeting everyone for the first time, wondering if I'll fit in.

What do I love about Star Wars? To me, it is a story about a family. I have invested so much time and interest in the characters, both in the movies and in the novels of the Expanded Universe, that I really want to know more about them. I'm not really worried about how good the prequels were/will be in terms of special effects, acting, dialogue, etc as long as the history of these people I've come to care about was revealed. I loved both Ep1 and Ep2 and I'm sure I'll love Ep3. I'll bet most of you understand exactly what I'm talking about!

Looking forward to meeting you all!
    Misty

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Welcome, Padme_Dawn. I hope to meet you at the next meeting.

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Greetings. I too live in Katy.

5. JEDIKNIGHT01

JEDIKNIGHT01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    Welcome Padme-Dawn! I am from Miss. too. Born in Lucedaale and raised in the Biloxi area. Good to see I am not the only Miss person here. I have been writing in this forum since a little before the release of EPII. I have not met anyone or talked to anyone directly, but plan on it eventually. nice to meet you.

Master Cris-Le-Calis

6. TallChewie

TallChewie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Thank you for this thread, Queenie! :)

This is what I was looking for whenever I first stumbled onto the boards.

And welcome to you, Padme_Dawn, as well as all the other "new" folks!! :)

7. Qris-DawnVires

Qris-DawnVires Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Hello Padme_Dawn! Katy/CyFair, huh? that's like a road-trip for me. hee hee :) i'm from the south. being south-east houston in pearland.
    I only joined in May...i think...check my screenname so I'm kinda new too.
    and it's awesome to see new people sign here.
    so have fun and The Force Will Be With You.

8. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    mmmmmm i'm right up all over that cy-fair ISD area, only go to Katy sparingly.

And about fitting in, don't worry about it at all! I find that we all have many things in common, besides are geekiness 8-} and getting along and fitting isn't a problem. Meetings are really quite a bit of fun because you get to meet all these people that have similar interests. I look forward to meeting you at the meeting.

9. Moontyger

Moontyger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    Hi, everyone, I'm pretty new here. I haven't been to a meeting, but plan to make the next one.

About me... I'm 27 and just graduated from Rice with a Bachelor's degree in English and the Study of Women and Gender. Sadly, I am currently unemployed. Besides the obvious interest, I also love books of all types, comics, computer RPGs, regular RPGs, cats, clothes, writing, etc. I am particularly fangirlish about Star Wars, Buffy, Anita Blake, Smallville, Strangers in Paradise, Young Justice, and various webcomics.

I found out about this group from Mikel Antilles, who saw a post of mine on the Star Wars Galaxies forums indicating I was in Houston.

For chatting purposes, my AIM is LissaMoontyger and my ICQ is 23767351.

Hmm, I could give more info if anyone is really interested, but that seems good for now.

10. Master_Infamous

Master_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    As for me I am all new to the boards and only met one person so far (bebo_lokk) at the Scifi Expo and his costume was the best out there!He told me about the FF and since then I been here!I really looking foward to the meeting since it will be my first.At first I thought I was the only Star Wars fan in Pasadena since my other hobby is Lowriding and I never met anyone else that loved Star Wars as much as I do! I've mixed both of my love for SW and Lowriding together.My lowrider car has a mural of Darth Maul on the hood and I was asked by the President of Lowrider Magazine for a photo shoot article in the Euro Scene section of Lowrider Magazine June 2002 issue!I have a tattoo of Darth Maul on my arm and above his head it says "SITH"! In other words I'm just a 24 year old mexican that will never stop believing in the force!

11. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Hi everyone! I'm new to Houston FanForce, but nowhere near new to the boards. I hang out mostly in fanfic, but since I saw AOTC I have driven all my "real" friends crazy talking about the movie and speculating on Ep III. I even started going to the Ep III forum looking for folks to discuss stuff with, but it's darn near impossible to have a conversation there. Then I saw the ad for a Houston FanForce meeting this Sat with a focus on discussing AOTC! How could I NOT be interested in going?!

So here I am trying to learn a little about everyone here before I just walk in blind to a meeting. Thank you, Darth-Stryphe, for directing me to this thread. :)

Me... I'm a 33 yr old engineer turned stay-at-home mom. Yes, this means I have nothing else to occupy my mind these days, so my SW obsession has grown even stronger, though not so strong to have tatoos put on me or my car. :eek: (Wow, Master_Infamous, what a fan you are! I hope I get a chance to see your car some time! Just the mural, you understand. ;) Seriously, it sounds really cool. :) )

I saw all the SW movies as they were first released in the theaters, and was hooked even before I managed to talk my mom into letting me see ANH (then just SW) just from the posters & movie soundtrack (yes, the LP) my older sister had brought home. My main interest in SW has always been in discussing the movies, the characters, what-if scenarios, and speculating on the possible events of the now one remaining movie. I've read a some of the EU, mainly post ROTJ up to the last few NJO installments, but most of those stories don't really hold my interest. I find that I like many fanfics much more. That's what finally got me to register with the boards, though right now I have very little free time to read.

I'm hoping to make the meeting this Saturday even though it's a bit of a drive from my home in Friendswood (SE side). But with 2 little kids running my life, my plans are often changed for me. Any way, I hope to meet some of you there, or if not, to get to know you & catch the next meeting. :)

12. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Glad you found your way over here, Padawan_Di-Lee!

Hope to see you on Saturday! :)

13. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey everyone! It's great to know all the newbies! Welcome to out humble domain! I hope you have fun and if you need any help, PM me!

Great to meet you all!

14. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Hello Everyone,
    I have been invited by bebo_lokk to drop in on you guys. I live in College Station, home of the Texas Aggies and teach at the local junior college here. As you can see from my user name I have been on the boards for A LONG TIME. I originally got bored with the site back in 2000 and left until 9/11.

It was the only site I could access that had some semblence of news that you could trust.

Since then, I have become a regular on The Senate Floor. I especially enjoy debating constitutional issues.

I know Fingorfin , he and I are both political scientists.

Thanks for the invitiation!

Mav

15. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Greetings, Maveric, good to see you.

16. clone_jl

clone_jl Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    Hello my fellow Star Wars fans! My name, for this forum, is Clone_JL. My real anme is Jason and I live in the West Oaks area of H-town. I work in Ft. Bend Co. as a librarian, and love my job because I get to meet many other Star Wars fans when I see what they check-out. My wife is a up-and-coming SW fanatic (mostly due to the fact she wasn't a huge fan when we met, but after the countless times of watching the trilogy/TPM together on dates, she has come around!). We are both 24 and hope to some day soon bring a few new Star Wars fan into this world!!

I have never been to a fan meeting, but hope to soon! I am VERY interested in meeting other Houston fans, not only for contacts, but to see the hot spots for buying toys and such!

My MSN messenger handle is 'Jason L' if you would like to contact me.

As a side question, does anyone know where I can get a Jedi costume made? I have always wanted to make/buy one, but no one I know can sew.

I hope I get to meet some of you at a future meeting! See you guys soon!

17. FusionBlaster

FusionBlaster Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Welcome clone_jl hope ya survive the experence.

18. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Fusion! Are you trying to imply that we are scary?!

...don't imply, just flat out say it because it's true! :p

Yes, welcome, clone_jl. I hope you are able to make it to a meeting soon. We'll be having one in a few weeks, here in July. Check out this thread for updates on that.

As for the costume, check out the Costuming board. They should be able to get you the answers you need or point you in the right direction. If you want to have a Jedi costume made/bought, and not do it yourself, it's going to run you pretty high, though.

Take care! :)

19. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Looks like Queenie needs to read more X-Men. :p

20. SenatorChristina

SenatorChristina Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2002
    Hi! I am divorcing and just moved back to Houston. I am a 23yr old college student (Tomball college and UH) getting a BS in Political Science in Spring '04. I work full time as a hospital unit secretary (putting doctor orders into the computer and such). Anyway! I love going to conventions all spoofed up in costume and I LOVE going to opening night of Star Wars in costume-- unfortunatly, I usually end up being the only one. So, here I am! I am currently working on getting a good star wars costume together (as my last one got trashed- I am trying to do a twe'lik and the purple senate gown...and poss. the kimono pre-senate gown from ep 1, too), and I expect it will take a while. But if there's some costumed get-togethers or some arrangements where we can all arrange to go to the movie together with as many varied charecters as poss. or something like that, that is exactly what I am looking for..

21. Leiatheprincess

Leiatheprincess Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    Hey Guys,

I am new to this board also. I'm 18 and I've only been in Houston for a year. I only have one costume and its Princess Leia's white one. I love collecting the toys! I have so many still in boxes at my house because I don't have enough room to display them all!

Glad you guys are out there! :)

Leiatheprincess
    PS I am also on the Yahoo Houston SW group... are you guys all on that too? Or is all the action here?

22. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Welcome to our new folks. Be sure and keep an eye on the boards, many things are in the works.

23. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Well, i wouldn't normally post here, but given the beautiful picture of Natalie Portman in bondage gear at the top of the page, together with a grown-up VT fan...how could I refuse? :p

24. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Glad you stopped by, JW! And yes, VT rocks! :D

25. Darth_Bolo_O_I

Darth_Bolo_O_I Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2002
    Hi all,
    I am a recently 18 avid Star Wars fan and reader. I have the entire New Jedi Order, but am stil searching for Destiny's Way, the newest one.
    Anyway, I am currently enrolled at Kettering University in Flint, MI. However, for my coop job I am living down here in North Houston (off of I-45, north of the Beltway), and I am from Bay City, 2 hours south. I have just started reading the boards again, I had a long, long time ago... None of the threads back then caught my interest, and I allowed my username to stale into nonexistence. I would love to start attending meetings and such, but far advanced notice is necessary (since my parents expect me to come home every single weekend).
    I am here until January, then I move back up to school for three months (taking The New Jedi Order with me no matter what) and will return in April. However, I will constantly be active on the boards, especially when away physically.
    If you haven't noticed, I am obsessed with the EU and hopefully I won't step on too many toes as such. Also, John Williams is the best composer of all time... Especially the Imperial March!!! In addition, I collect Star Wars toys, especially Legos, although more as a fan than a collector.
    In any case, thank you for this little introduction thread, and I hope to meet all of you eventually...

Later, Nathan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.