main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    2 Days Until Obi-Wan Kenobi is Released!

Fun Fact #27: Before settling on telling the story of Obi-Wan’s time during the dark times, the filmmakers considered an earlier period. One idea was to do a “Baby Kenobi” show but the idea was ultimately dropped when they couldn’t get the deepfaked baby Ewan to look right.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  2. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017

"Have you ever been tempted to wear the mask in the bedroom?" [face_rofl]

"Have you ever told your daughter, I am your father?" [face_laugh]

KyleKartan and cwustudent like this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    No

4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Damn. Seems like such an easy situation to set up and also would help provide some closure some have had regarding their plan and collaboration efforts.

Although. I suppose from their perspective, and their plot use of
    Kenobi being unable to use the force to communicate with Qui-Gon until the very end when he’s rediscovered hope, they might have been concerned that having Kenobi communicate with Yoda could dramatically undercut the importance of that final scene. I would disagree with that take though if that was the case. If anything Yoda could have helped setup the final scene better for audiences. It also would have allowed Kenobi to share in dialogue that he’s tried to communicate through the force to his master to no avail to Yoda directly and have Yoda drop some sage wisdom on him. This could also help casual fans who may have forgotten about the prequels if they haven’t gone back to watch them since their original release better realize who Qui-Gon was if they forgot. It’s just a little thing but I think it could have helped. Yoda is one of the most known voices in all of Star Wars. Even among casual fans so a brief convo could have been nice.

Having said all that, one of the interesting things that Chow alluded to with her comparison of the character study work on Joker and her comparison of that to Kenobi was that it does imply she was aiming for this show to really showcase the pain and struggle of Kenobi from a character study perspective. Lots of long shots on his face. Lots of time for the audience to wonder what he’s thinking. A strong emphasis on who he was, presently is, the differences there, and rediscovery of hope and the kind of man he wishes to become once again.

For years, in discussions I’ve had with fans, there’s consistently been this impression of Kenobi as the constantly stoic rock of a man who is driven by his faith at all times and who can never truly be shaken or experience any kind of tangible crisis of faith moments. Particularly because one would argue that what he had to experience with Anakin would have broken lesser men and didn’t. The argument was essentially that the situation with Anakin made him become the even more devout and stoic man we meet in ANH. However, to this series and Chow’s credit I get the impression she wishes to explore the idea that some wounds don’t heal as fast inside and those are what we will get to explore with this show and I’m here for it. The more layers they can add to Kenobi the better. It’s still possible that the events with Anakin bring him closer to the man we meet in ANH. Only those events will not only be what happened on Mustafar but those also happening now. Once he sees him in the suit fully embracing the Empire and revenge and spoken to him and after he’s seen
    the sweetness and potential of the twins first hand.

I love the main framework story Lucas imagined for the prequels but the level of dialogue, character work, acting direction, and nuance that is possible on a mini series is unlike a film that has to rush to provide answers and setups and the Kenobi series and characters will benefit greatly from the extra time and attention.

5. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Hey guys - I have been running behind on my quota of dumb questions, so...here goes.

I don't completely stay off social media when a new movie or TV show is coming, but I do try my best to avoid blatant spoilers. Most of the threads here, regarding new movies or shows - like this one! - say "SPOILERS ALLOWED". Does that mean spoilers are okay, anything goes, in the open, or does it mean spoilers are allowed but have to be hidden with a spoiler tag?

THANKS!

6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    This thread explains the mods spoiler policy.
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads...se-read-new-info-about-leaks-within.50023629/

7. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015

I agree with pretty much all that except I do think George focused too much time on the wrong things in the prequels if that makes sense. For instance The Phantom Menace is a good Sci-Fi kids movie, but it is not the best beginning to a Star Wars prequel, because of the pacing and what he chose to focus on if that makes sense. I feel like that problem was only magnified in Attack of the Clones, but he does right the ship to some extent with Revenge of the Sith.

although there is a double-edged sword because if he did fix those problems we might not have gotten the great Clone Wars TV show, to fill in major gaps in plot and character motivation. For instance I never bought Obi-Wan and Anakin as brothers in the movies, but I totally bought into it in the TV show. Also while order 66 was tragic in the original movie, it has grown in Greater importance over the years because of how all the other media has used it. like Jedi Fallen order, or the books, or all the other TV shows showing different perspectives of order 66.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Much appreciated!!

9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I think it shows that Lucas gift for story frameworks remained unmatched even up until his final film. Even if it’s taken the works of others and more time to truly flesh out the extent of their potential. When Lucas first announced the sale the idea that people with more talent for dialogue, acting direction, and more time to do compelling TV work, might someday be able to expand on his ideas thrilled me. What we are about to get into with Kenobi was a big part of where my mind originally went when I first heard they were making a prequel to ANH all those years ago.

10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    That's quite subjective. I never had any issue with the pacing in either of those movies, and what one fan might think Lucas should have focused on, is not really what Lucas was going for. What would the wrong things be? Why are there right and wrong things to focus in a story, when it's the story you want to tell?

The Clone Wars didn't fix major gaps in plot and character motivation, because there were no such gaps. All TCW does is enhance and enrich the already rich and complete story of the prequels. Different perspectives of Order 66 are an amazing thing to have, but I cried my heart out in my first viewing of Order 66 in the movie theater back in 2005, and so did I at the Kenobi - Anakin duel, where I could see two brothers fighting to the death. The movie sells their friendship really well, and that cannot be invalidated just because an additional 45 hours in an animated show built on that relationship a lot more.

wobbits, Riv_Shiel and RetropME like this.
  11. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I disagree, when Obi Wan says you were my brother, I never got that. Both in AOTC and to a lesser extent in Revenge of the Sith they seem like they hated each other to me . never bought the "Brotherhood" line until the show came out. They spent both of those movies apart for large sections. Even in The Phantom Menace when we first meet a young Anakin, Obi-Wan is just left on the ship to his own devices on tattooine. he's not a part of the main story much at all. If that works for you great, it did not for me.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I am not saying it again @Christopher Blair @DarthFixxxer, quit debating films in the TV forum. If you really feel the need to criticize them and defend them take it elsewhere.

13. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well being brothers doesn't mean you always get on. In AOTC it could be argued Obi Wan wasn't a father figure to anakin. He was an older brother figure and Anakin was the younger brother. And brothers argue. The older brother usually carries the more the elder attitude until the younger is on a similar age wavelength and they did try and show that progression in ROTS. I mean sure they bicker in the first act. but other times when Obi Wan and Anakin talked, Obi Wan was talking to him as an equal. So it was a progression thing really.

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I actually roll my eyes when people bring up the films constantly in this thread. I have never brought up the films, any of them, but somehow there seems to be a trend of bashing the prequels and defending the sequels in this thread for whatever reason. My only contribution was a response to these never ending posts. I do indeed wish that people stop bringing them up so that we can talk about the real topic, which is the Kenobi show.

whostheBossk and RetropME like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    @Daxon101 Literally one post above yours…

16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    My bad. I didn't know what that post was aimed at.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    @DarthFixxxer whatever your impression one thing that you don't have to do is get super defensive any time people lay any criticism toward the PT. Getting defensive doesn't help anything.

But, let's move past it, focus on the new show we'll all hopefully enjoy for one reason or another.

@Daxon101

18. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    You can also look at my post history I don't bring up the prequels that much at all, but sometimes the conversation flows naturally that way. In this case what Ender was saying. I really wasn't trying to turn this into a debate topic about the prequels, just a point of view, that I hope will be further be fixed in the Obi-Wan show via flashbacks or current dialogue.

19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Responding with arguments to a topic that is being discussed is not being defensive.

I assume we can talk parts of the prequels that are connected to the Kenobi show in this thread? Since that show is set only 10 years after ROTS and is literally showing us the aftermath of what happened there, regarding major characters in the prequels? As long as we don't debate their quality etc?

RetropME likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes, it's entirely possible to discuss links to the PT without debating its merits or lake thereof.

21. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Does anyone know if we will get some quality scenes with
    Breha Organa and her daughter Leia? I don’t want to see her short-changed at the expense of Bail. I realize he was more directly involved with the Rebellion early on but I find it hard to believe someone as amazing as Leia didn’t also have a very strong maternal presence too. I’m hoping she gets some good material also.

Further related to mothers, does anyone know if we get any scenes with Vader in some way referencing Padme? Either by lamenting her loss, discussing her with Kenobi, or perhaps even a flashback of her during his own meditation? I would prefer if she’s a significant discussion point and front of center still in his mind. They did this well in the Soule comics before and it helped remind of why he first joined Palpatine in the first place. I would like to see that continue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
    whostheBossk and Kato Sai like this.
  23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think we seen any leaks to confirm or deny that. But id guess probably not given the circumstances of whats been said.

From the sound of it

Obi Wan figures out Padme is Vaders emotional weakness which Obi Wan uses to win the final fight. But i don't get the impression there is any discussion or lamenting of loss.

This is obviously just going by what i personally remember. so i could have details wrong.

24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    @Ender_and_Bean
    A 10 year old Leia has reportedly been cast, Jimmy Smits will appear according to those ITK, it would be unthinkable to not have Breha in this but whether she's more scenery than a fully dimensional character is another question that I've not heard more than vague rumours. I hope she gets at least one emotional scene, it's seems likely considering the rumoured plot that there'll be at least two scenes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
  25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002

You should spoiler tag that to avoid trouble. The casting apparently wasn’t made public by Lucasfillm to maintain the surprise and I was warned about that before which is why I used spoiler tags. Good reply though otherwise! I hope she’s more than just there beside him. She’s the mother of
    a future feminist icon so she deserves to be fleshed out more. Even if that means showing her as so different from Leia that Leia ending up as she does is in part from rebelling against her. If it’s not that and they’re similar show us. There will be many opportunities.
    Whatever the case, and whatever their dynamic, it should be made clear. Otherwise it’s a missed opportunity and she just ends up as wallpaper.