main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    So far, Vivien Lyra Blair is the star of this show to me. She hits all the right notes and owns practically every scene she's in. It helps, of course, that the character as written complements her other canon appearances beautifully.
    As far as I'm concerned, Vivien is Leia!

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The new Star Wars Disney+ formula that I have to say I can’t get enough of: Take badass, add precocious child, print money.:D

We now definitely have both a great reason for Leia specifically to name her son Ben, and yet more proof Ben Solo is the most pathetic, least mature and least intellectually respectable member of his kith and kin - now we know both his grandfather and mother at 10 could have chewed him out as a self-centered idiot.:p

And the part where Leia mockingly calls Obi-Wan a grandfather himself has a bit of bitter sweetness to it - because in a way, he kind of is.
    I think the general idea is that Reva is too undisciplined for the job of an Inquisitor, especially since they aren’t Jedi or Sith but rather selectively culled and imminently expendable Jedi Hunters. The Grand Inquisitor seems to want to run them more surgically and coldly, while Reva’s more of a bloodhound; useful to the GI, but liable to eventually anger their master or worse, his master.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    The Child and The Princess must meet!

Bor Mullet and RetropME like this.
  4. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Another thing to mention that others have brought up:

Deborah Chow's direction is outstanding. Of course there was little doubt after her Mando work, but still, they picked the perfect person for this series. Particularly her work in the more character-driven scenes, such as Obi-Wan's reaction to Anakin/Vader being alive.

5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    This felt really low-budget. Like, they didn’t have the money to rent the studio for another week, or pay the actors more time.
    So many scenes were like they just shot it once and ran with it, regardless of how unprepared the actors looked or how awkward the shot looked.

Otherwise, I had a great time watching this. I was not expecting to enjoy it, honestly.
    I mean I haven’t even finished Season 2 of Mando, and I forgot about Boba Fett after episode 3 or so. It’s been (quite) a while since I visited this part of the forums.

My favorite moments.

- Reva is about to make me like the Inquisitors because I quite enjoyed her
    - Re-discovery of Tatootine, but fun this time. There’s a meat factory there? Interesting.
    - Teeka.
    - Leia roasting her cousin
    - Ewan McGregor
    - Vader in the last shot (I’m a shameless fan)

Not so great moments.

- Tatooine was fun, but Alderaan… uninspiring . Like they left this location for last after spending all the budget.
    - The editing.
    - I love Leia and I love Lyanna Mormont, but… they’re different characters, guys.
    - You know, if such interaction between Obi-Wan and Leia really happened, one would imagine that in Episode 4, Leia would say “years ago you saved my life” instead “you served father in the Clone Wars,” but oh well.

Still, I really enjoyed it overall. Looking forward to the next episode!

Count Yubnub and Glitterstimm like this.
  6. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Leia: General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. I don't know why I'm being so formal and not calling you Ben since we're old buddies, but whatever. I also can't find any records of you serving him in any significant way but apparently it's common knowledge such that even criminals know about it. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire.

Why they have Kenobi casually flashing lightsaber at the end of the first episode is completely beyond me too.

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I like how Kenobi is better with organic life (eopie, Boga) than machines. “I hate flying!” While Anakin is better with machines, which makes sense he becomes half machine. Makes them foils of each other.

8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Fair critique, it does feel like a rushed production. This project presumably has had a few iterations, was originally conceived as a movie, then a tv show, and was rewritten late in pre-production iirc. It’s hasty, but I was happy just to see them go for the juicy stuff, Obi-wan, Leia, Bail, no beating around the bushes, they’re diving back into the saga head first. That I can respect even if it’s rough around the edges.

9. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Oh, I didn't know about those details.
    It does explain some weird things, now looking back.

I suppose they managed to pull it off at the end, although with some hiccups.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Sadly, I have to disagree. I'm not liking her, so far. She still has some potential, but she's not there yet.

11. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Original Writer Hossein Amini on his version of the show. Kennedy had his scripts rewritten by Joby Harold and unfortunately, it shows.

"The thing that inspired me -- this is probably why I got fired [laughs] -- I remember thinking it's a little bit like the Book of Job," he explained. "Where [Obi-Wan] needs to go through tests ... that idea that you go through tests and then at the end of it you find your faith. And that for me is quite a dark journey, but it's one that ends up kind of in a hopeful place. But look -- I think I'm naturally drawn to those sorts of things, and I think maybe one of the strengths of Star Wars is its simplicity."

12. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I would not be surprised if the Grand Inquisitor ends up killing Reva by the end. He’s not going to be too happy about getting stabbed. (He should honestly be dead, SW needs to start making lightsaber wounds actually mean something)

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    There are some moments of dialogue that I felt were cliche or just bad. But, a lot of Star Wars is guilty of that. It really comes down to actor performance, which has been good from some and not so good from others.
    Or Vader does. I could see it going either way, but I don't see her surviving this show.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Yeah, but Ben is still clearly younger than Bail Organa. So you’d think Leia would sympathetic. It is a funny line!

godisawesome likes this.
  15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the writing is clearly the worst element of the show, and I don’t know why Joby Harold was the guy they went with.

Good thing there are some great actors occasionally spinning the writing into gold. Which is, as @TCF-1138 wisely indicated regarding tonal inconsistencies, another Star Wars tradition…

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Or Palpatine. I’ve always wondered if Palpatine knows about the twins from day one. But for Palpatine’s plans it’s better to have them out there away from Vader until they are ready to challenge him.

I mean Obi-Wan already did a bang up job training one apprentice for Palpatine. Why not let him try again.

So Palpatine might have incentive to keep Obi-Wan alive and free as well as the twins.

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Ok. The only thing that's bothering me is that Inquisitor Reva knows that Lord Vader is actually Anakin. I feel that should be a secret known only to Palpatine, Obi-wan, Bail, Yoda, Luke...and Leia. The rest of the galaxy, Inquisitors included, should assume/know that Anakin died in ROTS.

Other than that, I loved it. It was thrilling.

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I guess those Clone Troopers were actors in costume, they looked better to me.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So far best show hands down

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I’m fine with Reva knowing Vader is Anakin. I mean Tarkin basically figured it out on his own (according to the Tarkin novel).

I can buy someone else being able to do it if they have the right information (she mentioned looking through the old archives).

22. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I loved the Clone War Veteran. OMG. That was really great to see.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The second Tem's voice was heard was unbelievable then to pan down and see him... I had to check the end credits just in case he was one of the clones that featured in TCW.

Riv_Shiel and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    This is an excellent point. We know the security footage in the temple literally shows Anakin kneeling as Palpatine calls him Lord Vader. So if she’s digging around, pretty easy to figure out that the Lord Vader she knows is the same guy.

But, go further. Reva is likely the youngling in the first scene. Maybe she actually witnesses that exact moment of Anakin kneeling before Palpatine and being referred to as Lord Vader. Now, I can understand how she would know Anakin = Vader.

Mostly Handless and cwustudent like this.
  25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Ah, that makes so much sense..... I already knew the one kid is Reva, but I didn't realize that the rest of them are also going to turn into the rest of the Inquisitors. This might contradict the show though. Why would the Grand Inquisitor tell her that she is beneath all the other inquisitors, if they were all together at the Temple (outside of the GI who was a Temple Guard)?
    Completely agree, 100%
    It has been for decades though :p
    I don't know, it kind of feels that the Inquisitors could be in that list. After all, some of them could have also deduced it.

Lulu Mars likes this.