main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This would have been awesome :(

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Alright, I've changed my mind. After rewatching Part VI, this time from a deliberate "Reva knows that Luke is Anakin's son" perspective, I feel that this is how it should be viewed. It's stronger that way, the two storylines are more tightly interwoven and the whole climax on Tatooine just hits harder.
    It's still very much open to interpretation, especially since Luke's last name is never mentioned and the show never actually clarifies why the kids are so important (You really need to watch the recap at the start of Part I to understand that they are Anakin's children and even then, it's just implied), but I guess this story is ultimately told for people who already know that story.

I'm used to Star Wars stories being treated enough as stand-alones for a newcomer to understand the basic plot, but this one seems to be an exception to that rule.
    And I guess that's okay.
    After all, art doesn't have to follow rules. Because that's not what it's about.

And hey, if a Star Wars newbie watches this and gets a bit confused by the Tatooine stuff - or misinterprets it - where's the harm in that? If the show makes them interested in the franchise, they'll learn more from other stories and that'll give them a good reason to revisit this one later on!

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  5. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm not a fan of "not Star Wars enough" and "what everybody wants to hear". Those kinds of thoughts will not lead to greatness.

That said, I do like the OWK score. I'm a huge fan of the theme Natalie wrote for Vader. It's so dark, sad and beautiful. And so him!

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
  7. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I was wrong.

8. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Well we have no reason to believe that during the next 5 years the Inquisitors would be given an excuse by any of the already established characters to be persecuted..Reva though by logic, would be hunted to the end of the galaxy should they find out that she's alive..she's a loose end to Vader after all.

Glad her redemption worked for you, it could have used a bit work imo..by principle she should be dead..the fact that she survived Vader TWICE it's a brain cell killer of a plot point to begin with.

As far as Luke knew his father was a navigator on a spice freighter NOT Anakin Skywalker General of the Republic. So my point still stands and it would have given weight to Lucas has said about the name as said before. And given how life is on Tatooine and that Anakin piloted a freighter during TCW Owen's explanation to Luke is believable.

Her character concept is great the execution is poor imo the more I watch the series.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I now the Cody stuff is kinda old news by now, but I would have completely loved it. Not that I don't love what we already have.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Vader and the Grand Inquisitor left Reva on Jabiim without finishing her off because they don't care whether she lives or dies. They never considered her a threat and this was their way of letting her know that.
    They're not gonna hunt her unless she seeks them out and starts causing trouble.

my kind of scum and K2771991 like this.
  11. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    "I love the idea of Obi-Wan having a buddy on Tatooine. The first time he goes into town, you see Cody and he’s following him through the streets and attacks him, takes him into an alley with a knife to his throat, and says, 'You’re dead,'" Beattie reveals. "And then you realize, 'Oh, no...Cody’s making a point.' Like, 'Come on. You got to be more careful.'"

"You realize, 'Oh, Cody has now morphed from someone who was trying to kill him when we last saw them to someone who is now devoting his life to protect him,'" he continues. "Because by now he’s had the biochip taken out of his head, and he realizes, 'Oh my god, what I did was wrong.' And he has driven by guilt, as much as Obi Wan is driven by guilt"

Joby Harold was a gigantic mistake. Kennedy doing Kennedy with this most recent addition. We need real creatives in power at LFL. The franchise is only getting more and more watered down as we go on.

Oryx-I and JEDI-SOLO like this.
  12. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    True..I don't even know if the inquisitors are common knowledge to imperial officials the likes of Tarkin because I haven't seen Rebels yet, but should she be captured and questioned..she would leave Vader in a even more compromising position as the kidnapping of Leia would bring an unwelcomed narrative about the Empire brought about a personal vendetta of the face of the Empire rather than Imperial duty.
    As it is I'm glad Leia's kidnapping appears to go unnoticed (though it doesn't make much sense, I don't want to see Vader being pushed for something he didn't do or know about) by Vader and the Emperor and as @Seerow said, who would believe Reva anyway?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

13. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    If she was a loose end, Vader would have finished her off, rather then just left her wounded.

Like @Lulu Mars said; neither him nor the GI cared - she's nothing in their eyes, just a humiliated failure.

Luke literally identifies himself as the son of Anakin Skywalker on a regular basis.

Heck, how would Owen and Beru even keep this hidden? Considering, you know, it was just a couple years prior to Luke's birth that Owen's father and Anakin's mother were alive and married to each other? Did Ben mind trick the local community?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  14. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Shmi lived far away while Anakin was still on Tatooine. I doubt any of the locals knew her as Anakin Skywalker's mom. I doubt anyone in Mos Espa knew who Owen Lars is.

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I do wish Reva had been killed in the duel, Vader has killed Inquisitors before…..

Lady_Skywalker87 and wobbits like this.
  16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I am glad you see it this way after this viewing, because I do agree that it is stronger this way.
    But also that it was supposed to be viewed that way. Reva tells Owen "you love him as if he's your own"
    She knows he's not Owen's kid. There is absolutely no other alternative about whose kid it is.
    This line alone, means that Reva figured out Luke is Anakin's son.

PS. The show definitely wants you to know that Luke and Leia are Anakin's offspring. And by that I mean that the recap from the prequels, is supposed to be viewed before you start the actual episodes.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes, it wants you to know that, but as I said, it's all very inexplicit. Even the recap doesn't spell it out. And the line you mentioned just implies that Luke isn't Owen's son. Whose kid he actually is is left open to interpretation - but in light of the recap, it is of course strongly implied that he is Anakin's son.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Luke (at the age of 19) - "No, my father didn't fight in the wars, he was a navigator on a spice freighter"

Ben then proceeds to tell Luke about his father, without naming him. This is the first inkling Luke has that his father actually fought in the Clone Wars and wasn't a navigator on a spice freighter. So yeah, it was certainly not common knowledge nor public record that Luke was the son of Anakin.

Luke literally only identifies himself as the son of Anakin Skywalker in RotJ. Not sure how that's a regular basis.

Regarding them leaving Reva alive - it doesn't make sense. The Inquisitors hunt and kill Force users. She is a Force user. So the Grand Inquisitor leaves her alive...?

Loved the show though, warts and all.

19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Luke knew his father's name for sure. He just didn't know anything else about him.

K2771991 likes this.
  20. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Do you think he knew his father's name was Anakin Skywalker, just not the famous Jedi Anakin Skywalker that fought in the Clone Wars?

Surely if Luke knew the name Anakin Skywalker, and then Ben confirms he did fight in the Clone Wars and wasn't a spice freighter navigator as his uncle told him, Luke may have put 2 and 2 together as early as that conversation with Ben?

Oh, it's a can of worms if you really think about it... how many Anakin Skywalkers fought in the Clone Wars?

Yanksfan and Sarge like this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    What? Ben literally told him that his father was a Jedi.
    I honestly don't understand what you're getting at. After that conversation with Ben, Luke knows that his father, Anakin Skywalker, was a Jedi who fought in the Clone Wars. So what?

K2771991 likes this.
  22. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    You said "Luke knew his father's name for sure." - I am taking that as you contend that Luke knew his father's name well before his conversation with Ben; when he finds out he was a Jedi (but not his name).

So I asked "Do you think he knew his father's name was Anakin Skywalker, just not the famous Jedi Anakin Skywalker that fought in the Clone Wars?" - which you did not reply

After the Ben conversation did Luke think he was the son of THE Anakin Skywalker, hero of the republic, poster boy for the Clone Wars? That is the 2 and 2 I'm referring to.
    Or did he think he was the son of some other random Jedi named Anakin Skywalker?

I'm not sure if I'm not being clear enough (apologies if I'm not), or if you are skim reading and missing parts of the post.

That's what. It's a conversation, nothing more.

23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @StoneRiver
    I think that Luke didn't have that much knowledge about the politics of previous years, and thus he might have not even been aware of the existence of THE clone wars hero. So, I guess he just knew that his father, Anakin, was a jedi who fought in the clone wars, and he did not know much more, and obviously he wasn't aware of the fact that he turned to the dark side, which I believe was not public knowledge.

24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Exactly. Luke grew up on a backwater world with no access to Imperial records. Anakin may have been a well-known figure to people who followed the progress of the Clone Wars at the time, but his fame was hardly equivalent to that of a movie star on Earth. He was just a war hero.
    ...and IF Luke had been aware of his father's hero status, he would still have been oblivious to the fact that he was Darth Vader, just like most citizens of the GFFA were.

K2771991 likes this.
  25. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Exactly my point, thanks! There's even a deleted scene in ESB where Luke acknowledged Anakin Skywalker as his late father..Regarding Shmi @K2771991 given that her headstone is not longer there, a nice detail Kenobi kept, we don't even know if Luke was even told about his grandmother if anything.

Another great point! @K2771991
    As I explained to @Lulu Mars the narrative DOES make her a liability for Vader yet she lives.:confused: