main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    @3sm1r @Lulu Mars

Thank you, now I get your understanding of it:
    Luke knew his Dad's name was Anakin Skywalker but was under the impression he was a navigator.
    Until Ben tells him no, your father was a Jedi.
    So now he knows his father was named Anakin and was a Jedi, not necessarily THE Anakin (due to suppression of info by the reigning government), but still a Jedi Anakin.

I, myself, am unclear/unsure whether he knew his Dad's name at that point in his life (the convo with living Ben in his hut on Tattooine). But I understand how you could think that he does, it's a feasible thought process. But for me personally, I think the whole set up raises more questions than it answers when you put it under the proverbial microscope.

I must say though I never once said that he knew his father turned to the dark side, whether he knew his father's hero status or not. That's a revelation for him later in the series. The 2 and 2 I mentioned earlier is just that he could have realised that his Dad was a big deal quite early on.

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'd imagine that it wasn't much of a suppression of info and more that he never did an in-depth research because he was just a farmer and Tatooine didn't have a well equipped library with all the war records. In the world we live in we are used to easily available information about everything, but in my head canon it doesn't work like that in GFFA.
    As for the name, I don/t think it makes much difference, because he clearly wasn't aware of the importance of THE Anakin Skywalker to the outcome of the clone war or otherwise he would have indeed wondered why he has his same surname, no matter whether he knew the name of his father was Anakin or not.

3. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    There's a lot more to SW then just the films.

The Inquisitor hunt Jedi. Reva is'nt a Jedi.

He would have learned his father was THE Anakin Skywalker in short order after leaving Tatooine; Anakin was *very* famous and their were quite a few people leading/serving in the Rebel Alliance who had personally known him.

How did Owen, Ben and Beru keep Luke for learning about Cliegg, Shmi and Anakin from the local community?

Vader is'nt a member of the audience; he does'nt know that she (possibly) learns information that makes her a liability.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Is there anything to learn about Anakin from locals, it's not like Anakin spent a lot of time there anyway. He is more famous at Mos Espa which is a long way from where Lars Homestead is as Watto says in AOTC. Shmi and Cliegg however Luke probably knows about a little. I see no reason why it would be secret that they lived there. Luke bears the name Skywalker too and surely he knows that people have ancestors. There is not much to learn except that sandpeople were to blame from their deaths and Luke knows they are dangerous in ANH.

Owen and Beru probably don't tell much to Luke about them either, but local community can tell that Cliegg lost his leg trying to save Shmi and Shmi was ultimately killed by sandpeople while his son failed to rescue him. Before that I think they were rather respected part of local moisture farming community, which is small anyways. Shmi's virgin birth would probably not be believed by anyone anyway and I think Shmi never told anyone but Qui-Gon. Not sure if even Cliegg would have believed her. If she did tell him it's unlikely he would have told anyone outsider even if Cliegg, Owen and maybe Beru know.

So I think there is absolutely nothing Luke could learn from local community that he wouldn't already know and there is nothing interesting about Anakin they could tell other than he was said to be the jedi and he killed sandpeople. First one may be just a rumor and obviously talking about jedi under the Empire is very risky so probably they wouldn't bother to risk it and Luke doesn't even know what jedi is it's safe to say no one ever told him that and second fact is not that interesting since many locals probably had to kill sandpeople at some point.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  5. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I'm really baffled as to why so many of you guys are hanging on to the idea that Luke did'nt know his father's name before leaving home.

Owen and Beru lied to him about Anakin's job; there's no indication they lied to him/did not tell him his name.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It doesn't really matter, since Luke knew nothing about Anakin Skywalker. He wasn't watching the tv shows.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I desperately need an in-universe explanation for Owen thinking that telling Luke his father was a drug dealer was better than a war hero.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He was a respectful drug dealer!

9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Pure spice can be used for medical purposes. It gets refined into the recreational drug. So it has a beneficial side much like controlled substances IRL. They touched on this in TCW S7 with the Martez Sisters.
    My deduction is that Spice Freighters were legal movers and a comfortable job whereas the illicit movers were the "Spice Runners" vis-a-vis Rum Runners during the Prohibition Era in the USA

10. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    That Luke did'nt know Anakin was a Jedi/war hero when the holonet exists and he's probobly the most famous person to ever come out of Tatooine is, in and of itself, a whole 'nother can of worms, IMO.

@A Chorus of Disapproval @Darth_Accipiter

Plus remember where the Lars and Luke live; in Hutt Space working on a spice freighter is probobly no different then working on a cargo ship.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't recall anything to indicate that the Lars farm had a holonet connection. I can see Uncle Owen as a radically off the grid loner who wouldn't allow any of that mainstream media/Imp propaganda in his house; no farmer needs to know any of that. Learning nothing but moisture farming was good enough for him and that will be good enough for his family, and that's the end of that discussion so get out to repair those units on the south ridge or you'll go to bed with no gruel for supper.

Yanksfan, jc1138 and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I just don't see why Luke knowing about his father's exploits during the Clone Wars would be a problem. Again, I don't think he does know, even after learning that Anakin was a Jedi, since he lives on a planet where nobody knows much of anything that went on in the old Republic. I also don't believe Anakin was that well known to the general populace.
    ...but IF he had heard about a famous Jedi and known that that Jedi was his father, what difference would it make?

K2771991 likes this.
  13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    It's really not left open to interpretation though. If Reva knows that Owen is not the father, this means she has figured out who the father is.
    There is absolutely no reason for Reva to have guessed incorrectly about who the father is. Occam's razor makes it a certainty that she knows Anakin is the father.
    Exactly.
    I personally believe there is no chance in hell that Luke knows his father was named Anakin.

14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It is really open to interpretation, as my earlier interpretation proves. Reva has likely deduced that Luke is Force sensitive and the offspring of someone other than Owen and Beru. That's undeniable. That she knows more than that is not.

K2771991 likes this.
  15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    He learned his father's name quite a bit later, after ESB, right? I seem to remember it was Verla who told him.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Reva's basically a True Detective protagonist by the end. It's the last episode so she has to leap to an otherwise inexplicable revelation because the time has run out.

17. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Thank you for pointing out another issue I have how Reva was handled. How the HECK Vader dosen't seem to know Leia was kidnapped?? When her actions would be on his head as her commanding officer should a Moff find out.

There's no indication in ANH that they were truthful about anything regarding Anakin either. THAT is where interpretation comes in.;)

My mind is now filled with "That's enough Luke!'' conversations, thank you![face_hypnotized][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]=D=

Master Jedi Fixxxer and Sarge like this.
  18. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
  19. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    This show was an utter mess... I don't think I will ever re-visit it.

Oryx-I and dick rodgers like this.
  20. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Why should I - or anyone else - debate with you if your just going to debate in bad faith and discard canon in favor of headcanon? How do you even expect me to debate your headcanon?

The only thing TCW "obliviates" is a smattering of EU content; ATOC takes place *before* TCW, not after it.

The show already made it clear why they let her live. I'm not going to go over this again just to get ingored.

Your arguing that he did'nt know his father's name was Anakin before leaving Tatooine, correct?

Shmi lived on the Lars's farm for something like ten years. There's a whole local community (other farms, Toshe Station, Anchorhead, ect) in that area.

With the exception of Ben he did'nt stop Luke from talking to people or going out, though.

And...your assuming Vader did'nt know this...why?:confused:(Seriusly, why do so many complaints about this show seem to be just people getting made over things that are never suggested or indicated to be the case to begin with? I don't get it)

Also, Vader does'nt give a **** what moffs think, and he does'nt answer to them; Tarkin is the only one who he has any respect for (hence why he listens to him) and Tarkin is'nt part of the Inquistorius's heirarchy.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even if the Lars's farm does'nt have one, what about the Darklighters? Or any of the other farms? What about Tank, Camie and Fixer? Toshe Station? Ancorhead?

What about spacers and vetreans who remember the war? Given Luke's interest you don't think he spent time listening to stories from such people?

Like, I know he did'nt but it's just really implusable to me that we're supposed to believe he managed to go twenty years without hearing *anything* about a person who was basically a cross between Captain America and the Ghost of Kyiv.

She does'nt seem to. I just re-read the comic in; Luke does'nt question his father's name or act suprised upon hearing it when Verla brings it up, he only says he "does'nt know anything" (which is a bit odd on it's own, IMO, considering Anakin's fame and the fact that their are people in the rebellion who knew/know him, but maybe he knew a little from people like Rex and Mon Mothma and hoped Verla could tell him about Anakin the person, IDK) about Anakin, and she confirms the connection between Anakin/Vader independently of Vader himself.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I don’t think individual Jedi were exactly house hold names. Even during the Clone Wars they weren’t famous with the general population. Other military leaders might know them. And they might be known on planets where they were directly involved during the war. They weren’t national heroes.

I also doubt many - if anyone - outside of Shmi know Anakin left to become a Jedi. Qui-Gon was there undercover and we don’t see anyone else recognized he’s a Jedi.

The big question of fame with Anakin for me is he won the Bonita Eve Podrace. That seems like something Luke could be linked to or would have found out about. Anakin leaving immediately after winning and not racing again could help hide the fact Shmi is his mother. So maybe her being the mother of the human who won the big podrace didn’t follow her to the Lars homestead. But the record that Anakin won the race would still remain. It’s something Luke could easily stumble onto if he was into podracing.

Maybe podracing went out of fashion by the time Luke is old enough to be a fan. Or the organization of the sport changed in a way were records for some past races didn’t count anymore. The podracing Luke follows maybe isn’t the same organization that Anakin raced in - with separate records and titles.

22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Anakin and Obi-Wan definitly were.

Beings across the galaxy watch, and shudder, and pray that they might wake up from this awful dream.
    Because they know that what they're watching, live on the HoloNet, is the death of the Republic.
    Many among these beings break into tears; many more reach out to comfort their husbands or wives, their crèche-mates or kin-triads, and their younglings of all descriptions, from children to cubs to spawn-fry.
    But here is a strange thing: few of the younglings need comfort. It is instead the younglings who offer comfort to their elders. Across the Republic--in words or pheromones, in magnetic pulses, tentacle-braids, or mental telepathy -- the message from the younglings is the same: Don't worry. It'll be all right.

Anakin and Obi-Wan will be there any minute.
    They say this as though these names can conjure miracles.
    Anakin and Obi-Wan. Kenobi and Skywalker. From the beginning of the Clone Wars, the phrase Kenobi and Skywalker has become a single word. They are everywhere. HoloNet features of their operations against the Separatist enemy have made them the most famous Jedi in the galaxy. Younglings across the galaxy know their names, know everything about them, follow their exploits as though they are sports heroes instead of warriors in a desperate battle to save civilization. Even grown-ups are not immune; it's not uncommon for an exasperated parent to ask, when faced with offspring who have just tried to pull off one of the spectacularly dangerous bits of foolishness that are the stock-in-trade of high-spirited younglings everywhere, So which were you supposed to be, Kenobi or Skywalker?

Kenobi would rather talk than fight, but when there is fighting to be done, few can match him. Skywalker is the master of audacity; his intensity, boldness, and sheer jaw-dropping luck are the perfect complement to Kenobi's deliberate, balanced steadiness. Together, they are a Jedi hammer that has crushed Separatist infestations on scores of worlds.
    All the younglings watching the battle in Coruscant's sky know it: when Anakin and Obi-Wan get there, those dirty Seppers are going to wish they'd stayed in bed today.

No, but it would'nt have been a secret that Anakin was Shmi's son and Shmi was married to Cliegg who was the father of Luke's uncle.

I think it's almost a certainity Luke knew about Anakin winning the podrace, and even if his aunt and uncle had'nt told him Anakin's name yet he would have started questioning if Anakin "Skywalker" was related to him (and to the woman buried on his family's property).

Frankly, it would have been way harder for Owen and Beru to keep Luke totally in the dark for nineteen years then it would be for them to tell him who is father was but lie about what he did and where he went.

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What is this from? For me personally if it’s not in a movie or tv series - then it’s basically officially sanctioned fan fiction that is only canon until any show or movie contradicts it (with very few exceptions)

Not a secret, no. I just don’t think most people in Mos Espa would care at all. Even Watto didn’t immediately remember Cleigg Lars name. Next to no one is going to remember Shmi, or that she married Cleigg, let alone Cleigg has a son named Owen - if they ever met Owen.

The other moister farmers will know the story a bit more. But do they know Shmi used to be a slave? I’d guess no.

But that pesky podrace win from Anakin is going to stick around. His upset victory must have cost a lot of beings money.

Yanksfan and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Welcome to the fold. :)

25. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    It's from the novelization of ROTS, which is canon.

I was talking about the local community in the vacinity of the Lars's farm, not Mos Espa; and I can't think of any reason they would'nt know about Shmi's background as a slave or the fact that she had a son.