main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**OFFICIAL** ROTS movie discussion and spoiler thread - enter at your own peril!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    how did ObiWan know that Anakin had a stepbrother? Only Padme and Palpatine knew about the tuskens thing.......but how did Yoda and ObiWan know that Anakin had a stepbrother on Tatooine? Did they know he returned to Tatooine to try to save his mother? Did he tell ObiWan later on (maybe in a comic) that he had a stepbrother?

Obi-Wan knows about his mother and what happened, but he doesn't know about Anakin slaughtering the Tuskans.

2. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    You folks who went to midnight shows brought in almost 17 million alone.

WOOO. :D So the hours of being tightly packed as to not lose my place in line to the Jedi behind me helped! WOOT.

All I can is... wow.

I saw it at midnight, and at that time I was just stunned. I couldn't breathe throughtout half the movie. Three hours of sleep later, I went to school in a daze and thought of nothing but the movie. About twelve hours later, I saw the movie again at 10pm. After seeing it twice now, I can breathe a little.

Here are my thoughts:

- Hayden Christensen is still not perfect, but no one can argue the amount of maturity that has taken place since AOTC. I actually believed in him this time, although he was better after the dark side fall. All I have to say is that he's completely changed my view of PT Anakin, and I may have to just put myself through a study of him again.

- I was confused by the Leia's memories in ROTJ thing. So, she saw Padme for a moment... and remembers all that? I don't really believe so, but of course we'll get a reason EU-style at some later date.

- The ghost-thing we were supposed to find out: I think Yoda's training for Obi-Wan was supposed to clear it up. Qui-Gon's immortality was supposed to give us enough of a clue that Qui-Gon had mastered the tactic and so would Obi-Wan.

Things I was troubled by:

- Anakin's quickness to fall. Is it just me, or after all the guy had tried to fight off, he suddenly says, "Screw it!" and falls? I wanted more angst, I guess, more introspection than what we got. Also, maybe a bit more guilt for offing Mace. Just a little? I think the reason for the fall was alright and plausible. I'm glad he fell for love, if all else. If he had fallen for something else, it would have been harder to redeem him in ROTJ.

- How quickly the Master were offed. HELLO! Some fight, please? When they go to arrest Palpatine, the only ones who give much of a fight are Kit and Mace. And Aalya Secura didn't even fight. I think they deserved a little more respect than that.

- Obi-Wan's quick departure when Anakin lays dying. How could he have just walked away? I love Obi-Wan above all else, but after seeing the boy he loved for so long dying and in pain, all he can do is walk away? I see the other side of this, that yes, he had Padme to look out for and perhaps because kindness would have killed him, but couldn't he have reached out or something? Just a little?

- The Wookies. I was expecting a lot more, but yeah, it was nice to see them at all.

Things I loved:

- Anakin marching into the Temple with the clones behind him.
    -Obi-Wan's fall after the clones shoot at him.
    -Yoda's reaction to the Jedi dying.
    -All Yoda fight scenes.
    - Obi-Wan/Anakin duel.
    - When Anakin looks at the lava on Mustafar after killing the Separatists leaders with tears rolling down his face.
    - R2-D2.
    - The opening scene.
    - Order 66 (you know what's coming)
    - "I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you."

So good, so good. I loved it. Rare is the movie that makes you back up and leave you emotionally numb. I was so drained after it all. I still am. Words can't surmise my happiness that Lucas didn't kill my dream and my sadness that it's over.

That's all for now.

-Krystal

3. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Well, I just came home from seeing it a second time - this time in digital, which greatly improved the sharpness and color of the images.

And I found I liked the movie much better this time. On second take, some of the scenes that made me cringe a little the first time seemed better.

- I appreciated the performances more
    - Ewan, in particular, seemed even better - he really "created" Obi-wan in this movie
    - The Ani/Padme 'ship seemed more real
    - The movie seemed to flow better (maybe because I knew what to expect, I don't know)
    - The digital images appeared seamless (they sometimes didn't on a regular screen)
    - I had time to notice more detail
    - The droids (light and dark) were all great
    - Small things, like Obi ripping open Grievous' armor to expose his heart, were somehow more substantial

**Shrugs** I gave it a 3.5 / 5 the first time. Now I'm changing that to a 4.5.

By the way, I think > $50 million in one day is wild. Although, were I am its showing an average 20-30 times a day in the big theatres.

oldj

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Random thought last night, while discussing ROTS over dinner with MiaTieska . . .

Anyone consider that maybe Anakin's pain and suffering, being operated on while she was giving birth to the twins, may have caused her death? Like, maybe he was siphoning her life-force to save himself? Or his pain killed her, weakened her enough that she *couldn't* continue? It's apparent they've got *some* sort of bond.

EDIT: Exar Kun did this to the Massassi people to stay alive when the Jedi flambéed Yavin IV.

Dana

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhh that's an interesting thought! Wow... never thought about that now. [face_thinking] Makes ya wonder... he did believe she betrayed him. But then his remarks to Palps once the mask was on would have been kind'a out of place. His asking of Padme and if she was all right. Though it does give a person a thought.

6. Jedi_Eva

Jedi_Eva Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    - Anakin's quickness to fall. Is it just me, or after all the guy had tried to fight off, he suddenly says, "Screw it!" and falls? I wanted more angst, I guess, more introspection than what we got. Also, maybe a bit more guilt for offing Mace. Just a little? I think the reason for the fall was alright and plausible. I'm glad he fell for love, if all else. If he had fallen for something else, it would have been harder to redeem him in ROTJ.

***I read the book and in it the whole entire book is his fall. You can just see it. It was a bunch of small steps. There was definently a bit more of Palpatine twisting his mind. And in the book Obi-Wan was talking to Yoda and Mace and said, "Anakin is loyal to people not principles." So he turned because his loyalty to Padme was greater then his loyalty to Obi. I don't know lol.

- Obi-Wan's quick departure when Anakin lays dying. How could he have just walked away? I love Obi-Wan above all else, but after seeing the boy he loved for so long dying and in pain, all he can do is walk away? I see the other side of this, that yes, he had Padme to look out for and perhaps because kindness would have killed him, but couldn't he have reached out or something? Just a little?

***In the book about half-way through the battle between Obi and Ani Obi-Wan just lets go. He lets go of everything. Then whenever he is about to leave Ani it says:

Killing him would have been merciful.

Obi-Wan wasn't feeling merciful at the moment. He was feeling calm and clear.

- Padme's remark, "So this is how liberty dies. To thunderous applause."
    ***I loved that.

- Baby Luke and Baby Leia were soooo cute! , although for newborns (and twins at that) they were enormous! (Also, Padme barely looked like she was full term with one child much less twins. Look how she sprinted off the ship toward Anakin once she landed on Mustafar!

****Actually I could really tell she was pregnant. She did run but the bulge in her belly was pretty big.

- Obi-Wan telling Anakin what a great Jedi he was and Anakin apologizing to Obi-Wan. How sad that this glimmering of Anakin finally developing some maturity was smothered!

***I was so sad when I saw that. I didn't want Ani to turn...he is to cute for the dark side

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    The book definitely explains it a heckuva lot better I agree. All Obi could see at those times were the dead Jedi and Younglins :_| how sad is that? He couldn't believe that his Anakin had done that. But yep towards the end of the battle he did what Anakin could never do - 'Let Go'. Which is exactly what Yoda told Anakin. He needed to train himself to 'Let Go'.

8. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I was in tears by the end of the movie but cracked up laughing when Vader fell onhis knees and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Did Vader actually fall? I thought he just staggered.

And give the guy a break, it was his first step with all new legs. Probably a few servo glitches to work out still. :p

9. Jedi_Eva

Jedi_Eva Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    yeah I think he fell. On purpose though. Like he was kneeling.

Ok anyways...

- When Obi-Wan discovered Anakin was the father of Padme's baby and said, "I'm so sorry."

***It sounded like he was sorry that Anakin was the father...like "Oh you mean that idiot is the father. Oh man do I feel bad for you. The kid will probably be even dumber."

-Padme's "So this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause." I L-O-V-E-D that.

-I don't know if anyway noticed but when we first see Padme and her hair is up in two buns on either side of her head. Reminded me SO much of Leia.

-I actually liked the romance between Ani and Padme.

-When he killed the younglings. Oh man was I crying. It was just sooo sad. The little kid trusting Anakin and then...*shudders*

10. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    The thing with the Younglings is extra sad because Anakin is widely known as a hero of the Clone Wars and with his status among the Jedi as the Chosen One, no doubt he was widely admired by the children in the Temple as someone they wanted to be like.

You can imagine how they felt saved to see the great and powerful Anakin Skywalker show up only to be stuck down by him within seconds.

11. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    I have to say first of all, that I went to the midnight showing and then saw the movie again the next day.

I enjoyed the movie much more the second time! The moment where Anakin chooses between Mace or Palpatine seemed so much clearer to me and his fall, you can see the steps with much more clarity.

Palpy was playing on Anakin's fears and weaknesses so expertly! :_| Just chilling when Sidious tells Grievious..."Killing Dooku was a necessary evil, now I will have a younger more powerful apprentice."

I think Palpatine was wonderful in this film and I enjoyed his little reminiscing about Darth Plageus. [face_devil]

And I just have to say, I think Hayden Christiansen did a great job with this film. He is one of my favorite things about ROTS. (And I have to admit, it was Obi-Wan and Dooku that made AOTC's work for me, didn't really care for Anakin that much in the first two.) :p I thought his relationship with Padme was wonderful and the beginning as he interacts with Obi-Wan are some of my favorite scenes of the ENTIRE series (including IV,V,VI) 8-}

I think this was the best Yoda of the series too, so much emotion and the tears as he realizes he has failed the Jedi. I liked how he just pushed Palpatine's guards down with a motion of his hand, but he was not portrayed as completely invincible either. I really liked him in this movie!

I too, would have like to have seen Obi-Wan reach out to Anakin at the end. But as I watched the movie the second time, and he says, "I loved you..." I think there were tears in his eyes. This was the saddest part for me.

Really liked the interspersing of humor with all the darkness in this movie and the ending was spectacular with little Luke and Leia.

Alright, overall I loved it! Can't wait to read the book.

12. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    The spoiler policy has been extended on the Fanfiction boards until May 30th. This means that spoiler discussion can only take place within THIS thread. Spoilers are still allowed on fanfics but with clear labels. If you have questions regarding this extension, please check this thread. Note: this extension is ONLY for the Fanfic boards. Within the rest of TFN, please check individual boards for their policies

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    DantanaSkywalker posted on 5/21/05 4:06pm
    Random thought last night, while discussing ROTS over dinner with [b]MiaTieska[/b] . . .

Anyone consider that maybe Anakin's pain and suffering, being operated on while she was giving birth to the twins, may have caused her death? Like, maybe he was siphoning her life-force to save himself? Or his pain killed her, weakened her enough that she *couldn't* continue? It's apparent they've got *some* sort of bond.

EDIT: Exar Kun did this to the Massassi people to stay alive when the Jedi flambéed Yavin IV.

Dana
    [hr][/blockquote]

The novelization goes into their Force connection a little bit deeper. I don't think Anakin would be draining her life from her on purpose, but I do see the operating table as basically the death of her husband, as the next scene is the Funeral Music with him "entombed" in the suit. The guy behind me at the theater last night said something about "Anakin and Padme dying at the same time", and it made sense. That scene along with the Vader being raised on the table scene is the death of [i]Anakin and Padmé[/i] (until the afterlife [face_wink][face_tongue]). I looked at it like she was feeling his pain (along with her own) and couldn't go on.

14. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    George Lucas...what have you done to me?!? Changed my perceptions of the OT, just as you knew you would, that's what! ;)

I saw the film and was bowled over by it...it felt as if everything had been leading up to this film (yes, even the OT!) and that THIS was the one that mattered. I was so swept away by it that if there were any flaws, I either didn't notice or flat out didn't care. And I know now that the Prequels for me now have more of a place in my heart than the OT! *blinks in amazement* Initially I had placed ROTS just behind ESB in my afections...the day after, having slept on it a little, I realised it had more affect upon me than ESB ever had. It is by far and away my fave Star Wars film. See what you've done, George! :D

And yes, I went in as an Obi-Wan fan. And came out from seeing the film twenty times more the Obi fan I was before. The banter between Anakin and Obi-Wan was fantastic at the start and heartbreaking at the end. And Anakin, a character I had no particular interest in whatsoever, was reinvented in my eyes. R2 was adorable (I just love Anakin's defence of the poor little fellow during the opening fight!). Characters are what makes Star Wars, and George nailed it. I wish we'd had Qui-Gon there, it's the only thing I felt the film lacked. They did such a splendid job of linking EP3 to EP4 that I felt it would have been nice to tie in EP1 to EP3...but (fingers crossed) that is what the DVD missing scenes are for.

I'm in love with this film. If it were a person I'd hug it to within an inch of it's life! :)

-Jem (very happy indeed!)

15. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I haven't read the novel yet, but it does seem to me that she's connected to Anakin. The EU talks of Force Bonds, so it's possible that when Anakin does die and Vader is truly born, it severs that connection and has an affect on her. It's at least better than dying of a broken heart, because most mothers would do anything to live for their children.

Regarding Obi-Wan. I think Obi-Wan's hurt at Anakin's betrayal was powerful and I was glad to see that GL estabished his relationship with Anakin better than he had in the other films. I'm surely going to see all the Jedi differently from now on.

16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I just got back from playing laser tag with my relatives for my sister's birthday, and I can now tell you why that one little padawan managed to last 10 times longer against the clonetroopers than most Jedi Council members did: small people are impossible to hit. My 9-year-old kid brother wiped the rest of us out by being this itty-bitty target firing from impossible angles. My 8-year-old nephew, who's about the same size, was similarly un-hittable. Their team beat ours twice in a row, dammit.

It didn't help that two of my sisters, who were on the same team that I was, kept killing me. One of them managed to score at least 5 hits on her fellow teammates, and was immediately dubbed "Anakin." ("You were my sister! I loved you!!") :p

17. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Jemmiah Oh, that would have just made the movie perfect, to have Qui-Gon in it! :)

Ophelia, loved the images! You were my sister! I loved you! [face_laugh]

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Just hope the deleted scenes has Qui-Gon in it, even if it's just his voice.

19. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Just hope the deleted scenes has Qui-Gon in it, even if it's just his voice.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Sorry! Too easy to resist! :D

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Resistance is futile.... oops sorry wrong movie. :p

Well, if he's in the deleted scenes, just be sure to skip it, OE. I wouldn't want you to poke your eye out or anything over it.

21. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Went to see ROTS for the second time this weekend and like a few others had said, it is better the second time around.

Still there were things that bugged me - granted in almost every movie I've seen there are things that bug me. But on the whole I enjoyed it much more.

I do wish we'd gotten to see Qui-Gon though, if he's become a blue ghostie then it would have just given a better feel to the scene where Yoda was talking about Obi-Wan's new training. At least it would have for me.

Still having a hard time with Padme's death though. But I am absolutely enamored with Obi-Wan now. Liked him before, adore him now! :)

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, Jemmy, I've been wondering if you loved Obi in that film as much as I did. And I totally agree with it making up for previous flaws. I saw it twice on Saturday and enjoyed the time seeing it with my parents because my dad did not realize through the entire trilogy that Palpatine wasn't the good guy and then when he put on the hood, my dad, in a crowded theater, screeched, "OMG! IT'S THAT GUY?!"

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    LOL, Ish. [face_laugh] about your Dad. That guy...LOL.
    Good one!

I saw it a third time over the weekend and it just gets better with every viewing. I realize now that Anakin had already chosen before he went to Palpatine's office (otherwise the turn was just too abrupt for me). This way, it makes a lot more sense. I still would have liked a longer Anakin turning scene, though.

24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, to have him have chosen before he went to Palpy's office does absolutely make the turn less abrupt. In a lot of ways, he'd already chosen to turn before knowing who the Sith Lord was. He knew that he wanted "more" or, rather, that he would seek out training that he could not get from a Jedi.

25. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah, I think he'd already made his decision. Mace had ordered him to stay in the Council chamber, after all, and then the kid sits around crying, apparently thinking about Padmé--or at least the scene is intercut with images of her--and then suddenly he hurries out and shows up at the Chancellor's office. The chances that he showed up there to help Mace & co. out are extremely low. What he wanted was Palpatine's "magic formula," and he was willing to do anything to make sure he got it. He may not have admitted to himself what he was going there to do (hence, "What have I done?!"), but he sure wasn't coming to offer the Council members a Coke and a smile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.