main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL~SMALLVILLE Discussion thread. (Spoilers Galore)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediPriestess, Jan 4, 2006.

1. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Given the fact that Welling's contract specifically says no tights I highly doubt it unless its the series finale next May.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Given Martha's present to him though, if it's not going to happen through the season then this one HAS to lead to it.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I suspect that the contracts for the actors have been renegotiated a few times over the series' run. Knowing as everyone has for some time that this show has to lead to the birth of Superman... I suspect Welling maybe had to compromise on the tights thing if he wanted more money at some point. Besides, if the guy thinks he's going to be seen seriously as anything other than Clark Kent/Superman for quite some time... he's kidding himself. He's been this character for 10 years.

4. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    That would apply except Welling's made it quite clear he's done acting after the Smallville gig. He's only going to be producing and directing once Smallville wraps. And I dont think they'd force him to re-negotiate wearing the suit. After this long what can they threaten him with? Replacement? Not hardly. [face_laugh]

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    He'll put it on. There comes a point when you just can't resist.

6. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    If he wears it! I hope that is what the show is leading up to.

7. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Who says they need to threaten him with anything? The mere fact that the storyline's been building to this point since day 1, imo, means that Welling deep down knows that donning the suit is the right way to end the series. I've always envisioned the last scene being Clark running to the elevator or something and it just being a close shot of his chest as he rips open the shirt revealing the S shield. Then cut to black with the JWilliams music swelling. That's all the suit I'd need from Welling.

8. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I still hold out hope that Smallville mimics the last shot from the movies of Clark in suit flying over the planet. Sadly I don't think they will use Williams rendition since they are determined to use their own theme.

9. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    Any ideas on who the woman knitting was outside of Tess's hospital room?

10. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    My guess Granny Goodness. With all the times people have said "Apocalypse" in the last season and with Oliver being overwhelmed by people who weren't Kandorians I'm pretty sure the next season will see the coming of Darkseid.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well now that it's confirmed that next season is the last, I think they should break the flight rule. Some speculate that's how Clark survives his fall (yanking out the blue k and flying). He has the tights. He should fly. He can grow into the identity over the season and become superman. With Darkseid coming (parademons after Ollie, Granny Goodness by Tess), it's way past time for Superman to emerge.

And perhaps if we're lucky enough, hell might freeze over and we'll get a brief cameo by a certain billionaire playboy from gotham or a space cop or amazonian. They might as well let the show go out with a bang.o_O

12. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    I've always thought the prohibition on Bruce Wayne is a little silly...let alone GL and WW. If Darkseid is coming to Smallville, I am just going to have to get back into watching this on a regular basis.

13. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Personally, I think they would be crazy NOT to throw a GL in. Next summer marks the movie's release, it's a good way to promote the character.

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    They've already shown Green Lanterns ring in Absolute Justice so they have no basis for saying they can't show him. If they can't use Hal Jordan they have Kyle Rainer and John Stewart. I really think these character 'prohibitions' are a bunch of bull and the writers simply don't know how to introduce people that should have been introduced a lot earlier. I mean Oliver is essentialy Bruce Wayne so if Batman ever showed up what would he possibly do now that Oliver has his role.

Though since it looks like Darkseid is coming they better not ruin the Clark/Darkseid fight. If its over in two punches like the Doomsday fight I'll be very very upset.

15. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    That's right, there's a GL ring and lantern in that episode, huh. I don't understand why or how having a reference to a young Bruce Wayne hurts the Batman franchise by any stretch of the imagination. Or even Diana for that matter. The WW movie is currently in development hell, so what difference does it make to refer to her or have her show up?

16. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    The rule of wonder woman is apparently from a requirement that the character must be a main character and not a supporting character. Hence the only show she has appeared on since her own live action show would be Justice League where she had a lot of starring episodes.

A simple solution then would be to make Diana Prince a main cast member on smallville to replace Callum Blue and Allison Mack. [face_whistling]

17. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    Indeed...that'd be a real simple fix.

18. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    Tom speaks about next year being the last season, what he wants out of Smallville and the suit. This is from the upfronts this week.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/05/20/tom-welling-wants-lex-luthor-to-return-to-smallville-for-the-tenth-and-final-season/

19. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I've been into Smallville since around 2004 after someone recommended this to me; and, I've been hooked from the first episode. It's a great deconstruction/retcon/revamp of the Superman mythology, with a lot of sci-fi thrown in. This is one of those shows that has been so good, I'm amazed that it's lasted as long as it has. Even though the Superman films have done great at the box-office (overall), having a show based on a teen Superman seemed to have been a long-shot when it first came out - however, obviously the show has done well enough in the ratings to justify being renewed each season, which is great news for fans of the series.

I haven't seen any full episodes of the 9th season yet (waiting for the DVD set later this year), but I did catch part of an episode a while back with Hawkman, Clark, Green Arrow, and others fighting this frozen bad guy (not sure of his name). Just based on the little I've seen and read online, this particular season looks great, and has a lot more of the DC comic superheroes/characters thrown into the mix (than in previous seasons).

The show has really evolved from a teen sci-fi drama to a more mature superhero/sci-fi show with an ensemble cast.

Also wanted to comment that Clark's outfit in Season 9 rocks - the black shirt/jacket with the white stenciled "S" is obviously an homage to the outfit Jor-El wore in the original two Superman films with C. Reeve - very, very cool.

Too bad that Season 10 (forthcoming) will be the last, but the show has to end sometime. And, hopefully it will end on a high note.

What would be really nice to see is a sequel to Smallville called Metropolis, focusing on Clark's/Superman's adventures in the big city. However, this may not be the way the show's creators want to go.

Edit: I just read T.W.'s interview (linked from the above post) - though it has some interesting news, I don't want to see Lex Luthor return in Season 10. With all due respect to T.W., I think the Luthor character has played himself out in previous seasons and I don't see the value added in having him come back. I agree that Darkseid is the character I really want to see - he's been a great character ever since he appeared on the scene in J. Kirby's Fourth World DC comics in the '70's, and having him be the primary villain (or one of the primary villains) in the last season of the show would be superb. Hopefully that's the path the show will take in Season 10. We'll see...

20. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    You would think the way social networking has exploded that the studios would figure out that a little appearance on one show is advertising on another project. I also believe that Welling, who is more Superman to me that even CR (and yes, I am old enough to remember seeing those in the theaters), would do what's best for the character.

What a way to go out of the show and acting-- as Superman in the tights.

21. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    Comic-Con awesomeness :)

And not sure how long this will stay up but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XBzx3jchZ8

9 Super Spoilers From Smallville's Day at Comic-Con

Smallville opened the final day of Comic-Con with a super-sized bang, as the cast and producers of the CW series dished out more spoilers than we can wrap our heads around. From Allison Mack's exit and the introduction of the super-suit (which is actually the very suit from Superman Returns), to new villains and resurrections, TVGuide.com has all the scoop below:

James Marsters Returning to Smallville

Season 10 Scene-Stealers: New footage from the final season kicked off the panel at the Con. Spoilers of note: Lois (Erica Durance) finds the infamous blue and red super-suit in the Kent farmhouse, Chloe and Oliver (Justin Hartley) kiss, Tess Mercer (Cassidy Freeman) is still alive, but being held captive, Cat Grant joins Clark (Tom Welling) at the Daily Planet while Lois is off in Africa as a field correspondent, we hear the word "Superman," and Chloe says "Goodbye Clark," as she picks up Dr. Fate's gold helmet. Is your head spinning?

Super Villain: "This year we have a little different twist on the villain," said executive producer Brian Peterson at the panel. "We're bringing in Darkseid, but he's going to come in a little different form than you're used to seeing, so we're going to switch it up a little."

Super Secrets: Lois found out Clark's little secret in the season finale, but won't be sharing the news, even with him. "She decides not to tell him that she knows for a while," Durance told TVGuide.com after the panel."She finds all these ways to hide it and make it easy for him to do what he's got to do to get away from her, so he can be that superhero and fulfill that destiny. But, in true Lois fashion, I'm sure she'll get tired of keeping secrets."

Super Surprise: Tess Mercer is alive (rejoice!), and will even be helping Clark and Oliver at Watchtower, Freeman tells TVGuide.com. However, "There's a huge secret from her past discovered in mid-season that is going to come back, that she tries to keep from people, but it's really going to change things around for her. This twist is going to define whether or not she's destined for goodness or badness."

Super Endings: Mack will be leaving the show this season, though Peterson said they will wrap the storyline "in a way that's fitting for Chloe." Her romance with Oliver will play a key role in that. "She gives herself up for him, like a trade almost," Hartley told TVGuide.com. "He is trying to figure out who's behind it, and he's been told that they killed her, so he's kind of tormented. His whole quest is to try to figure out where she is."

Super Behind-the-Scenes: Welling will be directing two episodes in the new season, while Hartley will take his first spin in the director's chair. There's also good news for Durance fans that campaigned for her to be in 22 episodes: She will be!

Super Returning Characters: Jonathan Kent (played by John Schneider, who surprised fans by showing up to the panel) will return, along with Brainiac (James Marsters), Kara (Laura Vandervoort) Carter Hall (Michael Shanks) and Plastique (Jessica Parker Kennedy), who has become a member of the Suicide Squad. Peterson also said they're in discussions to get Lionel Luther (John Glover) back on the series. And as for his progeny, Lex (Michael Rosenbaum), the producers said the door was always open.

Super New Characters: Besides Granny Goodness, who appeared in the finale, and Darkseid, along with his harbingers, you'll meet Rick Flag, a member of the Suicide Squad. Also, Geoff Johns, who wrote "Absolute Justice" last season, will be doing a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle episode that will feature Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle, Skeets, and possibly Ted Kord.

Super Wait: The wait will finally be over, as Clark Kent will become Superman by the end of the year. "There are some people who don't like the fact that we've waited this long to do the suit or become Superman," Welling told TVGuide.com. "You also have to

22. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    This is truly incredible news - all of this sounds great. It will be nice if Darkseid doesn't look that much different from the comics, though. I appreciate/understand some creative license once a character transitions from comics to the screen, but hopefully he'll still be recognizable.

I also like the news that we'll see Clark in the Superman suit by the end of the season. This is a good idea, and I completely understand why they waited this long. As Welling himself said, if Clark put on the suit too early that would have been the end of the series.

All in all, however, it's too bad that the show is finally ending. IMHO this will go down as one of the top ten TV shows of the 2000's - and, it's also a good example of the right way to portray (and re-boot) an established comic book character.

Re: the future beyond Season 10, I wouldn't mind seeing another TV show with Superman, kind of a continuation of "Smallville". However, it doesn't look like this will happen, at least not with Welling.

23. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    This year we have a little different twist on the villain," said executive producer Brian Peterson at the panel. "We're bringing in Darkseid, but he's going to come in a little different form than you're used to seeing, so we're going to switch it up a little."

It's the underlined part that makes me think. Does Peterson mean different form than the comics or the show. [face_thinking]

This can be taken two ways. Either he'll be human. Or....

He'll be more like his comic counterpart.[face_praying]

24. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    TWO WEEKS YAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J4aGMsWLVE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNzTgsdkCxQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfxJb0IouBk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WS0vEMQwiU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJXLeXqcXU&feature=player_embedded

25. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    I Recently got Season 9 of Smallville on DVD, though haven't had a chance to see this yet. Based on the episode descriptions & pictures, I know I'll like this - this season promises to be much more steeped in the DC comics mythology, which is excellent. The cover of the DVD set itself is very moody & cool, i.e. showing Clark dressed all in black & standing on a rooftop overlooking Metropolis. Not only is the image great in and of itself, but it suggests a much more gothic, dark, urban show than what we saw in previous seasons.

I'll post more after I watch these DVD's.

Side-note: Though these are probably all sold out now, when this S9 DVD set set came out last Tuesday (9/07), Best Buy had a limited promotional T-shirt that came with some of these sets - the T-shirt was stenciled with the whit-ish "S" that's on Clark's shirt in Season 9. Very nice. IMHO BB has the nicest promotions in their initial releases of TV show DVD sets.