main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Official Social Thread!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MiaTieska, Jul 14, 2007.

1. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Bumping this up. :) Feel free to post here about anything so we can get to know each other better! What's everyone up to this fall?

-Mia

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Working and living with a crazy Star Wars fan who puts weird things in my ear.

3. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Dude, that doesn't count when you ASK them to.

-Mia

When did I start signing every post with my name? I don't feel like it anymore. But if I don't do it, and then want to do it again, all the old posts without my signed name will bug me.

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't know. It's slightly amusing and endearing.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Watch me break the mold (is that the right phrase?) and NOT sign my name!

Also, I'm going to add a subtopic to this thread to try to keep it rolling. Let's go with our favorite things about Star Wars. :D

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    PALPATINE and how uncomfortable my friends are with him. ;)

7. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    That's your favorite thing ever? I hope not.

I think I love the classic dialogue in the Original Trilogy. You just don't get any better than that.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    He's the coolest villain.

9. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Okay, but what else do you like besides Palpatine? ;)

I think Obi-Wan... the Ewan McGregor version... is... okay I'm trailing off thinking about his voice. [face_love] He has to have one of the most gorgeous voices I've ever heard, speaking or singing or however he wants to use it.

10. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Change of Topic: So, with the upcoming election? Who are you voting for? Why?

Let's remember this can be a heated topic, and please follow the rules of the boards -- no flaming, no baiting, no bashing, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I want to make sure we have a calm discussion about this. :)

I'll start off by saying I'm voting for Obama. No, he's not a perfect candidate, no one is, but you're never going to find a candidate who matches your views perfectly unless you yourself ran. ;) Usually it's a decision of what your dealbreakers are. My dealbreakers this year are Iraq, the economy, healthcare, and same sex marriage. These are a few of the things I like about Obama:

-Obama plans to have a plan (if he hasn't already?) to wisely withdraw from Iraq in the very near future. I don't really see that sentiment from McCain, who can see us another 50-100 years in Iraq. (Saw that on a YouTube clip.)

-I really don't know what's best for the economy but Obama seems to know more about it than McCain (just IMO).

-I like Obama's healthcare ideas, allowing you to stay with your employer's plan or pick from a national healthcare plan if you wish or if you don't like your employer's plan. I mean, dude, we're already paying a ton in healthcare -- Medicaid and Medicare. Why not be putting that money towards actual health coverage for people?

-Obama (and Biden) oppose same sex marriage. I really think legalizing it will cause a huge blurring of church and state because anyone will be able to sue my church, any church, for not performing a same sex marriage. If that isn't a mix of church and state that some people really don't want, I don't know what is.

-Obama is a family man and faith is a large part of his life. He's not afraid to mention God in a debate or mention faith in speeches. I like someone who knows what they believe in, and has strong convictions, whether those are necessarily Christian faith based or not. It means they're not going to be swayed by any small gust of wind or pressure that comes their way.

-If something were to happen to Obama, I can see Biden as president. If something were to happen to McCain, I really can't see Palin as president. It's nothing personal, she seems like a great woman, mayor, governor, but I don't think she's ready at all to be VP. (For example, living next door to Russia and Canada doesn't give you foreign policy experience unless you've actually interacted with them.)

Anyone else? I'm interested in hearing people's views, if they want to share. :)

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm voting for Obama for many of the same reasons, plus the fact that in spite of him not being a veteran politician in the same way as McCain, he has a running mate who was on the Foreign Relations Committee and Judiciary Committee. He is an intelligent, committed man of values and as Colin Powell said tonight, he has the power to be a "transformational" president for the next term of office. I disapprove of the flimsy political standard and sub-par political intelligence of the "veteran" John McCain who doesn't know his own position on matters. I cringe at the thought of VP Sarah Palin because while she does look good in a short skirt, she does not have the necessary experience and savvy to lead our country if McCain keels over mid-term. My reasons for voting for Bush both times were that I was voting for the lesser of two evils, but I have had enough of a sometimes-lovably dumb Commander-in-Chief. It says a lot that I am a registered, long-standing Republican who dislikes who my party has chosen enough to vote for a Democrat.

12. jace37

jace37 Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2004
    Well, Hi everybody. I am kinda new to the forums, but not really. I signed on a few years back, but wasn't really active about it. I was just barely getting into it. Now I know this is not the place to get to know me especially since I am more in the salt lake area, but that one is down. Well, to tell you the truth I should be in an Ogden on if they ever make one since I live up in Brigham City. Anyway, I will say hi y'all.

Now about the Election. I remember in 2004 we had lesser evils. I think in this election its twin evil. I don't like the hype that has been generated. Barack Obama is "black" so that means McCain has to do something to top it so he gets a female VP. Which in most times the VP does nothing. I mean look at the great VP's of the past. Exactly my point. The best was probably Nixon (not really just making a point.) However, there is one thing going for that, and that is as another put it. She looks good in a skirt. How do I say this. She can flirt with heads of other countries and get them to like the US. I hate to say it but its true look what Jackie Kennedy did as first lady, same thing. Actually, the only reason I would vote that way would probably be cause McCain doesn't want to take away money from Aerospace which my bro-in-law works (ATK).

"I think I will vote for a third party candidate."
    Some Guy

"Go ahead, throw your vote away."
    Kodos

13. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Hey, welcome, jace! Feel free to post here, especially since the SLC boards went inactive. :(

Well, I guess if the VP does nothing, Palin has an advantage for not knowing for so long what the VP actually does. ;)

I try not to look at it as the "lesser of two evils" cause that's so negative, but maybe the "better qualified" candidate. Even if I did think both weren't qualified at all, one of them still has to be better qualified than the other, right...?

Btw, my favorite thing at the moment is the McCain campaign getting slammed for spending $150,000 on Palin's wardrobe. $18,000/week. Wow. Do you realize what all the $$ spent on campaigns could do to help boost the economy...?

14. jace37

jace37 Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2004
    I thought that was what we did as tax payers. We buy useless things that the governement doesn't even need especially in times of crisis. LOL. What better way to stimulate the economy then by buying stuff we don't really need.

15. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Haha. That's an interesting way of looking at it.

I was thinking more in terms of spending $150,000 on helping some homeowners strapped for cash or you could help a lot of soon-to-be college grads pay off all their student loans. Or get a lot of people out of consumer debt, or... yeah. I'll stop there. :)

16. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Bumping this up to remind people there is also this regular social thread for chatting and spamming about whatever. :) The other thread's technically for fandoms we like besides Star Wars, but hey, I'm happy with any posting. :D

17. _JediKnight_

_JediKnight_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2002
    Just my opinion, but could we keep the title of this thread Official Social Thread instead of having it say things like "holiday plans" or "election 2008". I thought it was just for discussing election when it used to say that and not for general social topics ;)

18. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Sure, we can do that. :) It was just that... no one was posting when it didn't have a subtopic of focus. ;) I noticed some social threads will change the title to reflect a new change in topic, so I started adding subtopics in order to try to facilitate discussion. Anyway. Long-winded way of saying I can totally take that off, if you want! :)

19. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. Now I feel stupid, haha.

People...this is to socialize! You know, I think I am more social online than I actually am in person, well recently.

20. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    No, it's all my bad. [face_blush]

That's how I am often. It takes a lot less energy for me to type something than to go out and 'do' something.

21. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    So, who here has finished their Christmas shopping? ;)

I wish I was done. The roads are so nasty and it's so cold out. I need to mail out cards, too. Gah.

22. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Wow, that was a crazy two months. Let me tell you that working overnights is not the funnest thing. Epsecially when you like sleep as much as I do ;) It makes it hard to do much because I wold get home from work and sleep pretty much all day, then get up and not have much time to do anything before work.

So how is the start of everyone's semester? Mine is going ok so far...still trying to get settled into my schedule

23. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Oh man, working nights?

My schedule's not as bad, but it's still odd. I think settling into new routines gets harder and harder.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I work 9-5, thank goodness. I think I'd go certifiably nuts if I had another job where my schedule wasn't that. Like when I was a telephone operator and had such a weird schedule that I wouldn't be able to go home for three days at a time.

25. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Yeah, nights were pretty crazy...hard to get used to. I don't work there anymore as it was just a seasonal position. Unfortunately that means I am now looking for a job again.