main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON ****Official Social Thread****

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Primrodo, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahSkywalker

SarahSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2002
    Canada: coloUr, neighboUr, sabRe
    US (where the novels are from): color, neighbor, saber.

Either or is right...it only matters if you want to spell Canadian...which I worked super hard at and now I want to work in the US ;)

2. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

Tell me about it. Whenever I'm with my relatives in the states, there's all kinds of verbal issues....

Eg: We in Canada say "I'm in grade 2" or "I'm in grade 12." There, they say the numeral portion first. "I'm in 2nd grade, I'm in 12th grade." Not to mention, it high school, they rarely say grades at all....it's all freshman, sophpmore, junior, senior.

Some of the subtle differences between us and our neighbOURs to the south.

;)

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    LOL!

I was meaning the term Lightsaber is a trade mark and therefore the spelling is not in relation to where you live and teh gramatical way you spell.

I am well aware on how to spell things. The colour, odour, and such are fine ;)

And a Sabre is a weapon which the lightsaber was derived from. However when TM's, Rights reserved, and copyright are involved, I think we should respect the law which so states that is spelt "lightsaber".

May I remind you that the toys that labels are changed in Canada are also spelt "Lightsaber".

I know...what a rant :D

4. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    My bf didn't believe me that I wasn't the only one who says "it's a quarter to 5". He says "a quarter 'til 5". However, after asking several dozen other canucks, he had to concede. ;)
    He says "eh" now too :)

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I just say "quarter to 5." I've gotten at least oen American saying "eh."

6. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I talk to Americans every day, and the number of times I've been "corrected" for saying 'zed' instead of 'zee' gets annoying at times. One person even said to me "Oh, you're Canadian, you said 'aboot'".

hehe after spending a week with someone from Texas, we were all saying "Y'all"

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    The "aboot" thing is really annoying. They only think we're saying it, becaues of our accent.

8. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    My friends in NYC think it's hilarious how I say "water", "house", "mouse", "about" etc.
    What's scaring me now is how much I talk like my bf and I haven't even been in the states since the beginning of Aug.

(and yeah, Chris, I just say "quarter to" as well)

9. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I asked someone once what makes a Canadian accent, and he said it was because we strech the o's out longer, but he couldn't reproduce it. I've noticed that we tend to enunciate our words better... most of the ones that end in a consonent we actually pronounce! To use "about" again, most of the Americans I've talked to drop the last letter when speaking, so it sounds like "abou"

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Your American boyfriend has you speaking like an American? LOL. I had my American girlfriend speaking like a Canadian. I broke up with her 6 weeks ago, and yet she still says "eh" all the time. LOL

11. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    Aww, you broke up? That's too bad. I speak a weird smattering of both ;)
    But then there's way more accents in America than here.

12. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    You get a lot of American-Canadian confusion, especially overseas. I was sitting on a bench in Granada (Spain) one night when I was approached by an American teen and asked if I spoke English. Apparently he had been looking for someone to help him understand his phonecard so he could call home (Boston). After I translated for him we talked and he was surprised to learn I was from Canada, asking "why don' you talk like a Canadian and say aboot?" I explained that I had never ever heard a Canadian talk like that and he was rather disappointed.

Also, with the time thing, in England I was surprised when I heard my cousins saying "Half eight" instead of "Half past eight" or "8:30." When you think about it, saying half eight makes sense, it's so much shorter ;)

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I couldn't handle the distance anymore, Sarah. Power to you if you can.

14. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I must have a Canadian accent then... once when I was in the States, someone told me to keep talking because they wanted to hear more of my accent, they thought it was cute (it's funny if you had seen how I was dressed at the time...) and almost everyone i talk to on the phone can tell I'm from Canada. But that's partly because I say Zed all the time. I never noticed how often we say "eh" till I went to the states for the first time, then I really noticed it.

15. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    Well, it's been 2 1/2 years, 4 as friends, I'm not going to give up on it now. Hopefully within the year we'll be together for good.

I know I have a bit of an accent, people think it's funny :p

Once when I was in Texas I was talking to this girl who lived right across the border from Canada, in fact, I think her state was farther north than southern Ontario, yet she asked me if I'd bought the summer clothes just to go there, if I had movies, tv or a phone. She was quite impressed (as it was that summer) that I had already seen Jurassic Park three times. :p
    I've definitely educated my bf too...he wanted to know if Canadians fought in the World Wars...boy did he get an earful then..."we were there a heck of a lot longer than YOU!"

16. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    This is my 7000th post. Woohoo!

This calls for a celebration. Molson's on me. ;)

17. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    beer= ew

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You're about as fun at a party as Chris, I see. ;)

19. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Not everyone needs Beer to have fun at a party!!

Dont' drink yet, might start havent decided yet though.

20. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Beer doesn't make fun.

Being sober is just as fun :)

21. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You don't need beer, but it helps. ;)

22. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I think it's a lot more fun to watch the drunk people than to get drunk people than it is to drink. Besides, I know too many people who were killed by drunk drivers.

23. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    My thoghts exactly.

My mother was super injured by one...not fun :(

24. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    hi. im from london ontario... Hi...

25. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999