main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I'm been rewatching Rebels and now at twin suns, Kanan is awsome jedi, Ezra grows from his season 1 and 2 attitude. Ezra and Kanan and Sabine are my favorite characters from the show.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Does anyone know why the Disney+ version of The Siege of Lothal still has Witwer voicing Palpatine when there is a version (on Prime, I think?) that has McDiarmid doing the voice?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I doubt Ezra will have gray hair by the next time we see him :p

5. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    Looking back I’m a bit upset they never included Han Solo,Chewbacca,Or Boba Fett in the show.Every other major prequel character appeared.I remember a lot of people thought Boba Fett was Sabine’s father and damn that would’ve been cool.

6. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    People thought this even though Boba would've been 11 years old at the time of her birth?

Jedi Knight Fett and MrDarth0 like this.
  7. The Senate

Feb 12, 2020
    Yup I remember seeing countless YouTube videos about it.I think they mostly thought he just married Sabine’s mother after she had Sabine explaining why Sabine was a Wren and not a Fett.

8. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Just now starting this. It never sounded appealing to me but three episodes in I’m really enjoying it. A good fun show so far and from what I’ve heard it just gets better.

Grey Matter likes this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I just watched Jedi Night. I'm not okay.

Slater, CampOfSorgan, Doompup and 4 others like this.
  10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Oh My God.

I am jealous of you for just now watching this.

I also want to not be okay, because since I watched that episode, I can surely say that this is one of my 5 all time favorite Star Wars moments.

You are in for a treat. This show is underrated. I still probably prefer TCW, but both shows are amazing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Ubraniff Zalkaz and Grey Matter like this.
  11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I really love the Moebius influence here.

MrDarth0 and CampOfSorgan like this.
  12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

Seems like a cool guy. I didn't know about his prior live-action work, or that he studied philosophy. His early exposure to Star Wars sounds a lot like mine.

13. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Been slowly rewatching this during lockdown, and it's such a great series

Season 4 - Jedi Night and onwards is just one amazing episode after another, although I do wish we got to see more of that Kanan model, because it's great seeing him act like a dad

14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I'm gonna start rewatching the fourth and final season soon (got the DVD set last month to complete my collection of the series. A little late but better than never).

Speaking of 'Rebels' in general, I've seen more positivity about it now than back when it aired so is the show getting a re-evaluation by fans and critics who weren't so kind to it before? I remember all the bashing it got (with how it was very negatively compared to TCW as "kiddy garbage" and whanot. Even some official magazines it openly stated it as inferior to TCW and deemed it a step down) but now it seems like it gaining more fans and relatively little hate nor really negative and unfair criticisms (for instance even many recent IMDB reviews for it are kinder).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Probably comes from people who are watching it for the first time because of the Mandalorian.

They don't have the "They cancelled Clone Wars for this?" resentment and they're binging the series so they get the Season 4 payoff in a reasonable time.

And when you know you're watching something created before the stuff you like now, there's less reason for negativity even if you don't think it's as good as the most recent stuff. After all, that still means the franchise is on an uptrend.

16. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    And later we'll have the very same people watching TCW because of Rebels or/and because of The Mandalorian.

17. The Senate

Feb 12, 2020
    I had seen a few episodes of season one and thought it was meh but then when I saw the trailer for season 2 I watched all of season one and lived season two.

18. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    Watching my first watch through and I’m on season 3. Really liking it a lot! Love the team of characters.

Aah Fisto and Grey Matter like this.
  19. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The guff that the show took for being "kiddy garbage" was really ridiculous at the time; there was so much "TCW vs. Rebels" stuff that it was banned hard on the forums. Some of it had to do with the lower animation budget, as if that indicated that big bad Disney didn't care, and missed the point that it was largely the same creative team and what they were doing with the aesthetic within that budget (the full commitment to the McQuarrie look, and some really excellent character work) was really remarkable and anything but "slapped together for a quick buck".

The other knock was "there are no stakes and they'll never kill anyone off on this kiddie show" which persisted all the way past Ezra using the Force to cause a dude to commit suicide (!) up until Kanan's death. People were saying up until that moment "they'll never kill Kanan off in this kiddie show", and then when they did, the same folks didn't blink an eye before moving on to "they'll never kill Ezra off in this kiddie show". It was... tiresome.

Anyway... the show has held up really well. The central characters are probably the strongest group introduced into SW storytelling outside the films, and they're going to be around for a while. Except Kanan, he got killed off in this kiddie show.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The “kid stuff” in Rebels was exactly the same amount as in TCW - Filoni clearly followed Lucas in trying to make a handful of just fun adventure stories without as much clear tension alongside going dark and dramatic in other places.

The similarity is especially apparent in checking out early TCW, though like TCW, the show becomes a different animal as it unfolds.

To this day, the only actual mini-grudge I hold against Rebels was how the Mandalore story arguably had a disappointingly mellow and low key ending compared to the dramatic heights of Trials of the Darksaber and that Tyber really just wasn’t as cool as Gar among the Saxon brother or weirdly having Sabine just give the darksaber to Bo-Kayan... which now ties directly into the events before The Mandalorian and potentially into the entire D+ crossover storyline, so I’m over it now.:D

TetsuAero and Sudooku like this.
  21. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    I’m currently going through another whole rewatch up to the end of The Mandalorian and I’m up to season 2 episode 7 of rebels.

One thing that I think goes really understated about this show is how they have certain character aspects that progress and go along really naturally and it’s a lot more noticeable since the ST. (Disclaimer - this is not sequel bashing I’m just using some plot points as a comparison)

The two examples of this that I’m talking about are:

- Hera and Kanan’s relationship. The relationship between Rey and Kylo Ren felt so forced, unnatural and like a bad teen romance at times. Whereas with Kanan and Hera their affection is so subtle and naturally done, we spend more time with them and just understand that they have a special bond and that they deeply care about one another.

- Hera as a strong female lead. I love that Rebels doesn’t have one central character. A lot of importance is placed on Ezra, but Kanan, Hera and Sabine get just as much exposure as central characters. I love that Hera is this strong female leader. She’s not overpowered, she doesn’t ever come across as forced or unnatural. They really did nail it with her portrayal and character

22. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Hera's got such a strong personality she can even reinforce whatever ship she's flying - we've seen A-Wings pop like soap bubbles if an Imperial so much as looks at them funny, yet when she flies one, it can take several direct hits and only suffer surface damage

The Shadow Emperor and Aah Fisto like this.
  23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    My kids and I just rewatched it and felt very much the same, there was just something "off" about the Mando wrapup and more than we recalled -- we all remembered being irritated by the bait-and-switch of Ursa and Tristan coming back from the dead, but there were some other bum notes too which you've just covered. I'm over it, too, but it did stand out within a very strong stretch of episodes and after so many of the other Mando-centric episodes had been so great. I love Sabine's dad, I love the idea of Sabine's estrangement being an offshoot of the development of "The Duchess" and the absolute horror of the weapon itself, but the whole thing is a little... perfunctory?

Rebels had a slight tendency, for me, to "hit" with the weird moments that might have been considered "juvenile" by some than TCW did. When TCW did things like "Sunny Day In The Void" or Mama the Hutt or some of the really loopy droid episodes, my tendency would be to think, well, okay, that was weird, what's next, whereas AP4's free-floating musical moment on Rebels was, to me, absolutely brilliant. But I definitely agree that the average maturity level of both shows is about the same; the main difference being that due to the more anthology-ish structure of TCW there could be more drastic tonal shifts from arc to arc so you can selectively avoid either the slapstick *or* the "dark stuff" depending on which episodes you watch, whereas on Rebels they are of necessity more often integrated together in each episode.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Aah Fisto likes this.
  24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    In hindsight, I think Filoni decided to put the story on "hold" in a manner similar to his treatment of the Thrawn conflict at the end of the series - that he recognized his ambition and the story's potential was perhaps "outsized" compared to the context of the show , but rather than downgrade his vision or break the context of the show, he had enough faith in LFL that he could postpone the final climax and resolution until a later date.

The difference between the Mando plot and Thrawn arc in Rebels would then become more a matter of timing and its impact on Filoni's "exit strategy" for each arc: while he could have the Thrawn arc end on a cliffhanger worthy of a series finale, he had a more truncated and somewhat more obvious delay in the Mando arc because he wanted Sabine back with the crew for the Thrawn arc.

The last two Mando episodes in Rebels make sense lore wise but seems weirdly anti-climactic in a dramatic sense. After several episodes that seem to be forging Sabine into a pseudo-Arthurian hero to unite her people against the empire... she gives the darksaber to a cameo of a TCW recurring character in a way that makes sense logically, but feels deflating dramatically.

But that's likely because Filoni wanted to do that full story in a world where the Mandos and Rebels could get a worthy climactic final fight against a major antagonist, and while he couldn't quite get away with that in Rebels... he can now do it in the post-OT TV Series. And while Sabine may kind of resemble a pseudo-Lancelot character who's a true prodigy but has a great flaw that she feels makes her unworthy of the "Holy Grail" of the darksaber, Din may be a pseudo-Percival character who's a little ignorant and naive, but still good hearted enough to possibly make himself worthy of the darksaber.

25. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    @godisawesome
    That alligning of the rebels with the Mandalorians in REBELS is similar with the team-up of Boba Fett's Mandalorians in "Boba Fett - A Practical Man" by Karen Traviss, a sideline story to New Jedi Order, while in the last volume of that book series "The Unifying Force" by James Luceno, Mandos again team up with the Galactic Alliance's Forces against a bigger enemy.

I think, Sabine is a bit young to be a Mand'alor or some other leader in that time. And she is too far away from her people to be really accepted beside her family and that blonde guy (forgot his name). Bo Katan was far more rooted in her Mando environment, older and more honed. Pre Vizsla would have been proud of her. :)