main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    Thank you for the video. :)

Can you translate what Obi-Wan says? Or anyone here who speaks French?

This looks like to me that Ezra stumbled over an archive of Obi-Wan's warning to the rest of the Jedi in ROTS. If not, I don't see why Obi-Wan would make any sort of contact after ROTS in fear of the Empire tracking him down.

This is definitely the young Obi-Wan rather than Ben Kenobi. Thank God, otherwise I would have hated if the same voice actor for Obi-Wan voiced Old Ben, whose only voice can only be that of Alec Guinness. :)

Revanfan1 and Cevan like this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Awesome. You've really come through for us. Merci.

AniSkylover likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I wanna watch it all in French now. It sounds so much more serious.

AniSkylover likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't used my French in awhile but I think Obi-Wan is saying "The Force will be with you."

I'm a little off on what the Inquisitor is saying--we will have a visitor or something?

And there's a line about the characters facing what no generation has faced before.

Great trailer.

Barriss_Coffee , Home Alone in French is hilarious.

"C'est un gosse. Les gosses sont stupides" sounds so...different from "He's a kid. Kids are stupid."

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've been away from LACWAC for a little while, now, so I'm not certain if this is news, but I noticed also that 'Skylover's video mentions that the series will arrive in October.

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I've never actually thought about Obi-Wans links to the rebels before. Yet clearly if Leia wanted to get a message to him in the orginal SW then she must have been aware of his existence. Which then raises the question of how much contact he had with the rebels for Leia to know about him?

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I assumed that Obi-Wan kept up with Bail Organa and that's how Leia knew.

8. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Well, he was friends with her adopted father, and he probably told her about him and that one day they might need him again... and in ANH, wasn't Leia on a mission to Tatooine to bring him back to her father? So... I think its possible Obi-Wan had minimum contact with Bail over the years but not directly with the Rebels, but knew about the rebel alliance.. She knew he served her father during the Clone Wars... Whether she knew anything more about him is unknown but I suspect she may have known who he really was from her father.

9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

I'm pretty sure that unless Obi Wan was just trying to send Luke into a death trap he had pretty keen knowledge about the Rebellion. In fact doesn't Luke even know about the Rebellion (been a while since I have watched Ep. IV)?

Dra--- likes this.
  10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think I had just assumed that once Obi Wan was on Tatooine that he kept a low profile away from the conflict. The opening crawl of SW says Leia is racing home with the plans, yet clearly its a massive coincidence that she just happened to be above Tatooine where Obi Wan was, so that must have been intentional. I can't believe I'd never thought of it before. :oops:

11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Hmm I wonder how long this trailer has been out there. All that hubbub about a week ago with that guy sending the force.net that information could have just been someone who watched (or heard about) this trailer.

12. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Yeah he probably had some knowledge but I don't think he was directly involved with the main Rebels, of course that doesn't mean he is ruled out of appearing further in Rebels. Now that you mention it, I'm sure Obi-Wan mentions about a Rebellion against an Empire too in ANH? So, yeah he does know then. Doesn't rule him out appearing in the flesh at some point then :p

Yeah that bit is confusing but that is what I remember. I would take a guess that Obi-Wan did keep a low profile away from the conflict mostly. I wouldn't be surprised if he did turn up though properly in the series.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Alright, I took a just a couple screen caps of Obi-Wan in the trailer for a closer look.

[​IMG]

In this first picture we can see a hologram of Obi-Wan appear. Over to the right Ezra can be seen (most likely sitting on a bench or something) with his head held low. I have no idea what this room is, but I would assume it's some room we haven't seen yet on the Ghost. If you watch the trailer, though, the hologram of Obi-Wan seems to turn on by itself. Perhaps Kanan is off to the side where Ezra can't see him and activates it for Ezra to see? Not sure.

[​IMG]

In this picture, we get a fairly good look at Obi-Wan's appearance. He looks just about exactly like his appearance in RotS, and if we compare it with the picture below of when he is in the Temple with Yoda, we can see that he has the exact same robes on.

[​IMG]

Just as people had thought before, it seems that the most likely situation is that this is the holorecording Obi-Wan sent out to the Jedi all across the galaxy to warn them of what had happened and not to return to the Temple. It's also worth noting that Ezra has a shocked expression on his face after Obi-Wan is shown in the trailer. This could be caused by a number of things, such as the hologram appearing for seemingly no reason, but another possible explanation is his shock after hearing the Jedi were being wiped out. Ezra was either just a baby or not even born yet when Order 66 was initiated, so he would've have little to no memory about the Jedi Purge.

V-2, Dra---, Trebor Sabreon and 5 others like this.
  14. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    I never saw Obi-Wan's ultimate goal as taking down the Empire or strengthening the Rebellion.

IMO, his sole focus was on protecting Luke and training him in order to become a Jedi Knight. He was tasked with reviving the Jedi Order.

To me, Obi-Wan would never do anything, even for weakening the Empire or strengthening the Rebellion, in fear of him being discovered along with Luke. This way the flame of the Jedi Order is extinguished, as Leia would have to meet another Jedi, or Yoda in this case, something highly improbable .

Thus, I am hoping thar Obi-Wan will never drift away from his goal and help the Ghost Crew just because they are Rebels.

15. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    I really like this idea. :)

In the EU, Sidious made sure that the Jedi Order was wiped away from history and made sure that was the case by collecting every single Jedi Artifact and through propaganda that there was never a Jedi Order.

So, how much could Ezra know about what a Jedi is? He was born the same year as the Jedi Purge, so he never has a met another Jedi before. But, considering the fact he is a Force-Sensitive, his parents, both or one of them, might have been a survivor of the Purge. If not, then his other parent maybe tried to introduce him to what it means to be a Jedi before he/she was killed.

In other words, Ezra needs to have found a way of learning what Jedi means, otherwise he would not understand a single thing Obi-Wan says.
    Also, doesn't Obi-Wan say that he modified the message so that any Jedi would not fall into the trap and that it will take a long time for the Code to be decoded by clones. Now, the latter part makes me assume that somehow the message would not be interpreted by the Clones the same way as it would to a Jedi (maybe? :p). So how come Ezra understands it?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually hope that Ezra is just watching an old hologram instead of being in contact with Obi-Wan.

Was Obi-Wan's warning to the other Jedi actually in ROTS? Most of you know that I've only watched the last half of that movie once.

17. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

If I remember correctly, he tells Yoda that he sent a message to the Jedi across the galaxy, but we never actually get to see or hear what the message is. If this hologram of Obi-Wan in Rebels ends up being his message to the other Jedi in RotS, this will be our first time ever getting to see and hear it.

Dra--- and thejeditraitor like this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    According to TFN...

http://www.theforce.net/story/telev...Shows_Ezra_Meeting_A_Familiar_Face_158661.asp

I take that to mean that this is the phrase used as the replacement for "May the Force be with you" in all French Star Wars translations, regardless of the literal translation.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I definitely like this idea best as long as they are doing this. I don't like the idea of Obi-Wan sending a message to Kanan/Ezra in particular because I don't think he should be in touch with the Rebel Alliance, but I love the idea that some former Jedi like Kanan are clinging to this bootleg holo-recording of Obi-Wan Kenobi telling all the Jedi to stay away from Republic space because they have been turned on and there is an attempt at their genocide.

I really want this show to set up how extremely rare the Jedi are to come across in this era for the beginning of the OT, and while I don't have much of a problem with Kanan since he has real Jedi roots as a youngling before Order 66 and we already know they are using him hiding his Jedi origins as part of his character development, I have huge problems with Ezra's freaking staple-gun handle lightsaber since he doesn't have any of that going on and doubling the number of main characters with lightsabers in this era so flippantly is a huge mistake in my opinion.

This Obi-Wan recording could go either way. It could make the Jedi seem more rare or less rare in this era. If he's in current contact with Kanan I think it will make them seem much less rare. Jedi should not be in contact with each other and coordinating as groups if they are "all but extinct" and just trying to survive in this era. But if it is some old bootleg of Obi-Wan's contemporary warning about Order 66 that will make the Jedi seem much more rare. The Jedi Knights are so rare that if you are one of the very few surviving Jedi the most recent thing you have to cling to to remind yourself of that heritage is from when Order 66 went down. That's some pretty extreme isolation.

Thank you for giving me something to hope for with this.

*** Blame limited edit times for this double-post. They are dumb. ***

Seerow likes this.
  20. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I think it's probably the message of Obi-wan warning the other Jedi to flee. Personally, I feel like the scene involves Ezra snooping around a room in the Ghost, accidentally playing the message, and then Kannan coming in acting angry at some point. Then that starts the expository dialogue of how Kannan survived, blah, blah, blah. It's a common enough scene, but it still works well, I feel.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That would be interesting, but I'd have to wonder why Kanan saved the holo.

22. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I dunno, probably just as a reminder that he was meant to be a Jedi? I don't know enough about the characters to go into motivations and stuff, that's for sure.

23. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

Most likely because it was the very last message any of the Jedi received that came from another Jedi. It would also serve as a reminder of what he was a part of and what happened to them.

24. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    I still can't help thinking (non hologram) Obi-Wan will be in Rebels. I don't particularly want him to be per se but that Hasbro product sheet for the "Rebels Obi-Wan Kenobi" figure looked like it had the beginnings of grey hair and grey in the beard. How he would go to almost white hair in five years is unknown but anythings possible in this universe and continuity.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

I bet Stormtroopers are dumping some bleach off the side of a building in Mos Eisley and Obi-Wan happened to walk right under it.

KeithyT likes this.