main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Waiting to see if Ezra uses the line "You're only in trouble if you get caught."

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Street Rat, Loth-rat? No... absolutely no coincidence there.

3. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    My friend found Ezra clip from SWW - it was posted before, but not everyone was able to see it, because it was taken down. It starts circa 25:00.

Dra---, Convor, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Thank you, green_typewriter and podjazd, both!

Some great stuff there. This new information certainly helps to set the scene, both for Lothal itself (the strategically important "gateway to the Outer Rim") and for the sense of life spent under the heel of the Empire, in general.

Giving Ezra a Hebrew name and hearing that his parents were betrayed by their "friends," and that others ignored Ezra (ignoring him, I can only imagine, out of a sense of fear for what might befall them, should they be found helping), it all reminds me of the plight of the people living lives of oppression in 1930s and 40s Europe.. Palpatine's Empire has been equated with the Nazis from the very beginning, of course, so it's no surprise to see it come up again in a series set during the height of Imperial dominance.

The rumors also touch once again on Imperial propaganda in the series (something I'm thrilled to see explored in the show), stating that Ezra can only receive Imperial broadcasts. I can't help but wonder if Rebels will show the Empire having subsidized holocomm transceivers for the people, in a nod to Nazi Germany's famous use of the Volksempfänger?

As much as I hope to see a more nuanced, deeper look at the enemy in this series than we ever got with the CIS in TCW (and I really, really hope we do. I still have a hard time believing that each and every Imperial was an evil bastard), I have to admit that the more we see the Empire take on the look and feel of Hitler's Reich, the more pleasure I'm inevitably going to feel from watching them fall in the end.

Although I'm not yet sold on the character (But then, how could I be? We haven't really experienced any of them yet.), I really, really hope they get Ezra right, because if they do, rooting for him could wind up being terrific fun.

Though I've been consistently looking forward to the show, I've been variously hot and cold on what we've learned about the production (both official information and rumors, alike). But these latest tidbits? Love 'em. If these are a legit harbinger of things to come, then Rebels cannot arrive soon enough for this fan.

Dra--- and podjazd like this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Thank you for posting this clip. It was one I had never had the chance to have a look at before it was taken down.

Now having seen it first-hand? Well, you know how I just said I hope they don't miss on Ezra?

And that I was hot and cold on things?

That clip... I don't know, Bridger sure seemed to make that TIE pilot look pretty inept. Hopping into that cockpit like that...

Ezra: "Wait, your sleeve's caught."

Pilot: "It is?"

Ezra: "Here, let me just..."

**Ezra steals a piece of the ship.**

Pilot: "What was that?"

Ezra: "Whoa, you've got a bit of metal caught on your, uh... posterior. Wouldn't want an Officer of the Imperial Navy to split his pants. That just wouldn't be dignified. Hold still."

**Ezra slips behind the pilot and pockets another piece of the ship (once again without the apparently deaf, dumb and blind Imperial somehow -- almost inexplicably -- failing to notice.**

Ezra: "Now remember Sir, no 'thank-yous,' Here, I'll take that..."

**Ezra takes the helmet out from the hands of the (fully awake and self-aware) pilot. The pilot seems to simply be so dumbfounded by Ezra's shenanigans, that the Imperial simply hands his bucket over to the kid.**

"...you didn't need my help. And besides..."

**Ezra leaps from the cockpit**

" ...I didn't come to help!"

Ezra then mocks the pilot about what the gear will fetch on the Black Market, calls the pilot a "Loth-Rat," and then beats a hasty retreat.

Oh, but not before using his Spidey-Sense to successfully dodge multiple, point-blank shots fired from the canons of the downed TIE fighter. Oh, and then knocking the pilot unconscious with a shot from his electrified slingshot.

See? I get myself excited about the show, and then when I get the chance to view actual selections from it, I wind up feeling put-off by what it delivers.

(Now, to be fair, this scene was taken out-of-context from the rest of the episode. That said, it also was a complete scene)

I know it was a scene meant to play, at least in part, as playful and humorous, but it just felt so... I don't know, "cutesy"?

It's not even Ezra that was the problem, really (though he was maybe a little over-the-top).

No, the clear issue, to me, anyway, was the pilot.

Gone were the faceless, terrifyingly vicious killers flying Vader's wing in A New Hope. You know, the pilots who were so brutal and efficient in sending our heroes to a fiery end?

And in their place? I'm sorry to say it, but for my money, "sheer ineptitude" is the phrase which describes it best.

And I won't buy "the pilot was stunned from the crash."

There was not a trace of a visible physical wound, and the pilot asked for no assistance (in fact, the basis for the humor in the piece was set up by the pilot stating that, as an Officer in the Imperial Navy, he in fact required no help!). He carried on a conversation and -- other than a case of a wounded pride -- was shown to have suffered zero ill-effects from his crash-landing.

Nope. Apparently, his only problem was that he's dim-witted.

And so, between this and a group of Stormtroopers who can't shoot straight enough to hit (a non-Force sensitive) Sabine at close range in her SWW clip?

Darn it all!

These are not a group of untrained canon-fodder, designed to be taken out by the thousands on a huge field of battle, but pilots and specialized troopers who are supposed to be the best of the best.

Remember the rumor that there would be clones in Rebels who are still serving as Imperial trainers; trainers who feel that the new recruits just don't measure up? Well, if that rumor is accurate, it's no wonder they feel that way.

I think it's safe to say that, at least from what I've seen in the SWW clips, "these are not the Empire that I'm looking for." I only hope these guys are the exception, and not the rule.

6. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    That was the throwaway stuff. Now I probably can't post the good stuff. I get it. But there's a cost.

7. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Ehh Trebor I think you might be forgetting how stupid all the stormtroopers were in the Original Trilogy. I clearly remember none of them being able to shoot straight and even being fooled by a bunch of ewoks let alone by a force sensitive 15 year old.

That scene was clearly made to introduce his force sensitivity to the audience. No need to make too much of it. I do clearly remember the description of that scene turning into about a three page debate on here. And then another three pages about how Ashley Eckstein was staring down the guy with the video camera. Not sure how anybody came up with the idea that Ashley was staring anybody down from that video (if that is indeed was the same recording that was being described earlier.

I would just like to say for those expecting a very realistically played out world why are you looking to Star Wars to give you those realistic character interactions? It never has had realistic character interactions and it definitely won't start in a cartoon series. I suggest if you want to see realistic character interactions playing out in a fantasy world go watch Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Trebor Sabreon

Yeah, my first impressions after watching that clip those few weeks ago weren't so great either, but you pretty much nailed it on pinpointing the ridiculousness of the TIE pilot's ineptitude. I get that they are trying to make Ezra out to be a very street-smart and quick-witted kid, but it really came at the expense of the pilot here. And I expect the space-slingshot jokes will keep on coming. I wouldn't be surprised if they extend the Imperial ineptitude to Agent Kallus and his men, at least during those initial episodes of Rebels. While I am sure the setting and the way things are depicted onscreen will be great, and very much the Star Wars we're familiar with, I don't have too much hope for the overall story, at least at initially, just by looking at this clip. But OTOH, the fact that these SWW clips only show a brief picture of the pilot episodes, there is plenty of room for the show to grow and nature. Need I remind you that TCW also started out relatively light-hearted with plenty of droid humor and episodes focused on Jar Jar Binks shenanigans and other facepalm-worthy stuff like the premise of Dooku Captured. But over time TCW grew to become a more mature show that seemingly grew with his younger audience.

Based on Greg Weisman's track record, I believe that Rebels will be the same way. Of course, we'd better hope that the show can last more than the two seasons or so than a Weisman show lasts before cancellation. I really hope that they don't squander this opportunity to make a tighter, linear story by putting in a lot of useless filler and emphasis on silly humor that would make anyone over the age of 10 cringe. We'll just have to wait and see.

But I can see many Empire fans really getting turned off by Rebels if what this clip shows is emblematic of the show as a whole. FWIW, I don't think we'll get a very nuanced picture of the Empire, so I'm not going to hold my breath on that. It'll probably be very black and white, especially in the beginning.

But there is one thing to be hopeful for. I recall Dave Filoni once saying that the Ghost crew would have to face "bigger and bigger bosses" over the course of the show (and no I don't mean bigger and bigger Boss Nasses...) as the Ghost and its crew begin to attract greater attention from the Empire. I'd expect that even if the Empire doesn't look very good initially, they'll start getting more and more competent over the course of the show. It'll probably start with the Inquisitor, who'll no doubt prove that the Empire is serious about eliminating this Jedi threat, and later on, other high-ranking Imperial officers and henchmen will come in. By the time they get to Vader, if he does indeed show up in person rather than just holograms, I imagine the show will get much darker in tone and more in line with the later seasons of TCW. Here's hoping.

podjazd, Sir Chem, Cevan and 3 others like this.
  9. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    All I really expect from this show is that it hold the same tone that TCW did and from what I have seen so far of it it does.

V-2, Dra--- and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
  11. MakingStarWars

Oct 20, 2008
    This is what you were supposed to see today. :cool:

12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Is it time that a spoiler thread gets created for Rebels so those that want to read and talk about all the spoilers they can find can go ahead and talk about it in their own thread?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's a no spoiler thread- here. I'll go ahead and label this thread as spoilers. We'll probably update the spoiler policy thread soon as well, once we get closer to the premier.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm not forgetting anything. Vader's Stormtroopers had no trouble shooting straight aboard the Tantive IV. As much as it can stink, sometimes, character shields are a fact of life which absolutely play into things (they did in the films and they will in Rebels, too). I know that.

But there are ways of protecting the heroes from being taken out, while still managing to make things dramatic and tension-filled. Take your example and look at Rick Grimes. Kirkman has said that Rick is the one character who he would never kill, but we still worry about him.

In the case of the Sabine clip, it does make me question that the show's creators couldn't think of a better way of constructing the scene than for Sabine to be close enough to be within talking distance of a group of Stormtroopers, and yet somehow able to dance around point-blank fire. But like I said, it's a case of character shield, and I get it. I can live with it.

But I'm sorry; that TIE pilot was just thick. The whole affair was just goofy and nonsensical to me.

I don't know. I mean, I get what you're saying, of course, but I really don't feel as though it applies.

To me (and I can only speak for myself, here, YMMV), what I saw on that clip was largely a miss. And it was a miss not because I'm asking for hardcore drama or overly realistic inter-personal relationships from Star Wars. That's just silly.

I'm not asking for that, but I am looking for more than what I saw on that clip.

What I saw there does not live up to the standard of character interaction Star Wars has delivered when it's at its best. It just doesn't. I know that I've seen interactions between SW characters that were better than that.

I'm not asking for the moon, here, and I'm not asking for SW to try to be something that, by it very nature, it is not. I'm only looking for any new SW we get to excel at doing what it does, and in ways it has before. I'm only asking for what I know SW is capable of.

Mia Mesharad and Circular Logic like this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Awesome stuff, Jason! You always seem to deliver (and I mean that).

Now if you can somehow snoop out if Gleeson is Skywalker's kid, I'd be forever grateful. ;)

So yeah, it sounds like anyone particularly spoiler-weary might really consider sticking to the spoiler-free thread(s), because as we keep getting closer, we're only going to learn more.

As to the nature of these new spoilers? The first hour sounds pretty decent to me. I can see the relationship between Zeb and Ezra being one of the hooks for the kids to enjoy. They handle that well and it could be lots of fun. I don't know how Kanan wouldn't have noticed missing something as priceless as a holocron (or how the Imperials locking Ezra up would have missed it being stashed somewhere on his person, either), but that's neither here, nor there.

Ah, the ISB. I love it! L-O-V-E it!

Really looking forward to the premiere! Incidentally, do we have a date for the big night yet?

16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Well, those spoilers are intriguing. I really shouldn't have read them, as I totally got spoiled for the premier episodes of Rebels and now that anticipation has diminished.

But wow, where to start?

As I suspected, the relationship between Ezra and Zeb really goes off to a rocky start. If nothing else, the banter between the two characters should be fun to watch.

The Devaronian, Vizago, certainly affirms the idea that you should never trust a shady underground crime lord. I'd like to see how he's portrayed.

Well, Ezra is definitely the main protagonist of the show, and by blowing up a bunch of stormtroopers he takes "his first step into a larger world". I'm beginning to worry that his rapid development into hero-status might make him out to be a Gary Stu right off the bat. We'll see how that goes, though.

I think I will certainly enjoy Hera as a character, putting Ezra in his place. I do think that over time, if Ezra gets positive character development, I can really accept him. Again, only time will tell.

Yay for the ISB making it into onscreen canon!

Yup, the holocron belonging to Kanan has a message from Obi-Wan Kenobi, no doubt from the Order 66 temple scene in RotS.

Enslaved wookiees being taken to Kessel, interesting.

Sabine looks like she could be Filoni's new pet character; like Ahsoka, she can speak a little Shyriiwook.

Given that this synopsis aligns with what we've seen thus far in the trailers, I'm inclined to believe this is all true. I must say, the premise of the story seems interesting, but I'd like to see how this is all executed onscreen. Kallus and his cronies certainly came out with a resounding defeat, hence the need to contact the Inquisitor and alert him to the presence of the Jedi Kanan. I think the subsequent episodes will be even more interesting.

MakingStarWars

Jason, out of curiosity, have you seen these episodes, or did you just get a hold of a script or other detailed synopsis?

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Yes but I think you need to think about what a cartoon needs to be and what a cartoon doesn't need to be. If this was one of the movies I would be dissapointed in it as well. But all I personally expect from any Star Wars cartoon is that it hold the same standard set by TCW (and as much as some on here want to say that TCW had some serious and mature moments I found it pretty tame and with many non-adult centric moments throughout its entire run ).

From what I have seen so far of Rebels I think it is doing a good job of living up to the standards set by TCW.

V-2, Dra--- and thejeditraitor like this.
  18. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    This is why I am always pretty meh on what these fan sites say. How many people out there have seen enough of these episodes to list a whole page of spoilers? And of that very small group of people are they really going around to fan sites telling them everything they know?

19. MakingStarWars

Oct 20, 2008
    I can't talk about anything, sorry. The info is legit as it gets.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Honestly, the scene with Ezra and the TIE Pilot was pretty silly but it didn't bother me; I liked that we got to see his use of the Force, and the energy slingshot doesn't bother me a bit. I sort of like it, even, as long as they don't pull too many gags with it. As to the spoilers...well, we'll see how badly Ezra turns out after the first season's over, but I'm not going to judge him just based on the movie. Also, remember that this episode will not be a proper representation of the rest of the series–they told us that the series would take a darker turn after a few episodes. Even if a lot of people don't like the first episode, I'm sure the rest of the series will be better.

21. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

"Ezra fakes coughing and proclaims Emperor Palpatine his uncle so they open the cell door."

This is by far the worst thing in Rebels I've seen/heard about thus far.

"Hey Stormtroopers, I'm the Emperor's nephew. Let me out."

"Sure thing kid."

22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I bought into that Story Group line about everything being equal, and all, but you know what? You may well be right about that.

Actually, I do believe the Lucasfilm people are earnest when they say that every new story, regardless of medium, will carry equal weight in the overall narrative (and thank the Maker for that), and because of that, I'm expecting a certain consistency in quality, and tend to want to hold this series to the same standards as the films.

But you're right and there are inherent differences between those different mediums, and it certainly wouldn't hurt me any to try and keep that in mind.

Still think that scene was wack, though, All of your logic and reasoning cannot sway me from that!. :p

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ew, I missed this. Is that actually a thing? Wait a minute. This actually makes sense. Remember, this kid is a Force-sensitive. I'm sure he's using a mind trick on them, maybe even without realizing it. We don't know without the context for the whole scene.

24. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, it sounds cringe-worthy, and I was going to mention that, too.

But I'm hoping that it's a case of some things needing to be seen in context to really appreciate it.

'Cause if not... [face_hypnotized]

edit: Ninja'd by Revanfan1. *And it's not the first time you've done that to me, either, Bro.* :p

thejeditraitor and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

I'm hoping that's the reason. If that is the case, though, hopefully the guards who release him are in a sort of trance-like state like most people who have a Jedi mind trick done on them. If they aren't mind tricked and are almost positive he's the Emperor's nephew, then that is just awful.

Revanfan1 likes this.