main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Music Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Abrapork Lincoln, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I especially like the use of 'one-off' themes that only appeared on one of the OT films. Having them together in Rebels makes them more musically cohesive. Examples, the ANH Empire Motif, the ANH 'recognition' motif/Force Theme Intro used when Luke namechecks Obi-Wan Kenobi, the ESB Droid Motif, the Rebel Alliance theme from ROTJ as we've noted in this thread, etc. Rebels is taking the opportunity provided to musically bridge the saga, and to potentially give one-off themes in the OT added meaning in weight, and is running with it. I love it.

I mean - think about it. Now that we're becoming familiar with Ezra and the Ghost in the context of the Rebels Theme - think about how that now changes how we feel about hearing that theme at the climactic Rebel battle of ROTJ. We're hearing this theme associated with the early stages and coming together of the Rebel Alliance, and then we hear it again at their 'most desperate hour'. What was once just a nifty stand-alone cue now has added substance and meaning. That's the kind of retcon I can totally get behind!

Apparantly, GL specifically asked Kiner not to explicitly reference many JW cues in TCW score, which is why we don't have the classic Jabba Theme when he appears, why 'Across the Stars' nary makes an Anakin/Padme appearance, why Jar-Jar's theme doesn't accompany him, etc. I'm grateful Lost Missions allowed him some room, as we got a MUCH needed reprise of the Qui-Gon theme when he made his ultimate TCW appearance to Yoda - as well as good use of the Yoda theme, and even a foreshadowing of Battle of the Heroes! While there's something to be said for the need to create new material, the score entire is kind of jarring with the rest of the saga. Rebels music could very easily fit into a Star Wars Saga Chronological Playlist. TCW not so much.

Not a criticism of the music itself, Kiner did an outstanding job given his assignment, but just an observation.

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    love this remix of the intro theme to ANH with the Inquisitor's theme mixed in.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Kiner did still use some of William's score earlier on. Yoda's theme is very prominent in Ambush. Leia's theme was in Assassin. Qui-Gon's theme already appeared in the Mortis trilogy.

Besides, his new Anakin/Padme theme was wonderful, and Jabba's Palace was nice too.

4. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Good article on Kiner and his Rebels music in this weeks SW Insider.

5. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    Am I the only one that likes the large usage of John Williams in his scores?

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's so typical. TCW was always criticised for not having enough John Williams in its score. Some people will never be happy.

7. Coocoo for Lekku

Coocoo for Lekku Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 9, 2015
    I've noticed that too. Sometimes it seems impossible to please more than half the fans at any given time.

I think the lack of Williams in TCW was fine, given it's sort of a different creature than the corresponding films. Whatever your opinion on the prequels, TCW really tried to go its own way, have its own identity and make up for what have been seen as stumbles in the film versions. That being said, I would have loved a bit more soundtrack punctuation. Duel of the Fates would have been incredible when Maul battled Sideous. And some of Leia's theme would have nicely went with Ashoka walking away into the sunset.

With Rebels, things are feeling much more familiar. Tie Fighters, Stormtroopers, Grand Moff Tarkin. It's all very much leading to the classic films, so I think a heavier John Williams presence works nicely.

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The music really helps sell the feel of Star Wars during viewings of this new series.
    It helps a million to hear the Imperial March or a version of it during an attack by the Empire - it just sounds like Star Wars. It is a really good thing that Lucas is not around for this show - I mean that in terms of the music department.
    It was Lucas that requested that The Clone Wars have almost no music from the movies and all these years it was him I have to "thank" for not once hearing a proper CIS or Trade Federation theme from the movies. Gunray's scenes would have been a lot cooler with a little droid invasion.

That scene of Tarkin coming to Lothal with the Imperial march was perfect and showcases WHY it is good to have a lot of Star Wars music in your show.
    The use of the Force theme in various ways on Rebels is great.

I kinda get where people are coming from in terms of negatives about TCW music. I mean, at times the music just devolved into random noises in background that did not help boost an emotional impact of a scene. Some duels were kinda not kinda ruined by lackluster music - the one between Dooku, Ventress and Savage in S3 or some of the Grievous vs Obi-Wan fights come to mind.

The music during the duel between Kanan and the Inquisitor after the discovery of Luminara's body was very good. It was better than some of the music during the duels between Anakin and Dooku in S4 and S6.
    I also agree that it is nice that the Inquisitor has a theme. I wish Dooku got a theme during TCW's run. Sure, Boba got a theme and Aurra got a theme, but the main bad guys in TCW also deserved the musical treatment that the Pau'an is getting.

9. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    I like it, I just feel with that, he needs to throw his own sin on it as well, which he has been doing. Rebels music gets a 10/10 so far.

Kentoa likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    lots of videos of the music on youtube so I'll put them in a spoiler

here's a nice original. Sounds more like a love theme. Plus there's a nice rendition of the main motif in Rebels at the end.

also... march version of Lando's theme at the end here. Kind of awesome. I'd like to hear a longer version of that.

Imperial match battle version... definitely awesome.

battle version of the main motif + light of the force

this seems almost like a re imagining of the beginning to Battle of Endor

11. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    My favorite SWR theme up to now would be the marching-band version of the Imperial March, as heard in "Empire Day".

Who could've thought that such a gloom & doom track be presented with such pomp & fanfare!

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  12. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Really like the soundtrack overall. It probably is sticking a little too close to the OT soundtrack but it's still good.

13. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    I also like the Inquisitor's theme a lot. Unfortunately all these tracks are kind of hard to find...

And anyway I've noticed with each episode the music gets better and better. Also they're starting to drift away from the overused Original SW tracks from the first half of the season which I like

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I just like original music.

captainkenbo likes this.
  15. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    The album "Rebel Music" by Bob Marley would be a great soundtrack for this show mon!

16. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Battle of Hoth (Lothal)

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    What's extra fun about that cue, is that the rumbling ascending and descending piano introduction portion, I believe, was cut from the actual final version of ESB, even though we all know it from the Album. It's super fun to actually hear it in Star Wars media, accompanied by walkers, no less.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    we got bits of Battle of the Heroes in the Inquisitor v Kanan and Ezra from the season finale. It sounded mostly original though. The sequence where Kanan and Ezra both fight him is epic.

19. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    There were other cues in there like bits and pieces from the Battle of Yavin.

20. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    In Fighter Flight at the end of the episode we hear a version of Kids at Play by John Williams from Episode I The Phantom Menace . The part starts at around 03:08 .

In Path of the Jedi we hear a bit of Yoda and the Younglings by John Williams from Episode II Attack of the Clones .The part starts around 02:00.

There are also some bits of music from the Prequel Trilogy in the Kanan and Ezra vs Inquisitor duel .( Zam the Assassin and the Battle of the Heroes (mentioned above) of which a bit was also used in the ending of Rebel Resolve .)

On the subject of the music I love Kiner's work on TCW and his remixes there and here in Rebels .(Although hearing Tie Fighter Attack all over again is a bit jarring .)

21. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I have to say that the Rebels score already sound better than the TCW score did at this point during it's run which is a very good sign.

henryj95 and pepoluan like this.
  23. henryj95

henryj95 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    A fair bit of Star Wars Rebels music is now up on Kevin Kiner's site. I've had a couple days to come down from the excitement but it's SO AWESOME! Lots of Spark of Rebellion so I'm over the moon. I really do think Spark of Rebellion is the strongest Star Wars narrative in a long time. As much as people love when things "get intense" like they did at the end of the season (which I also enjoyed) the clarity of vision and powerful storytelling that was done in that first hour is still jaw-dropping to me.

24. henryj95

henryj95 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    I posted this breakdown on the Rebels thread but it's clear this is the one where people may actually find it helpful:

22 Pickup: (Spark of Rebellion) Ghost crew rescuing the wookiees on Kessel, ending in Kanan revealing to the Imperials (and Ezra) that he's a Jedi by igniting his lightsaber.

Abandoned Base: (Out of Darkness) Hera and Sabine arrive on the asteroid to pick up Fulcrum's supplies only to notice some of the crates have been dragged away...

All For Fruit: (Fighter Flight) Ezra and Zeb work together to rescue the farmers, who have been taken prisoner and manage to collect one meiloorun fruit; as instructed by Hera. The song then skips ahead to the sweet, family moment that ends the episode.

Alliance: (Fire Across the Galaxy): Chopper and a fleet of blockade runners rescue the Ghost crew from several squadrons of TIE fighters!

Enter the Inquisitor: (Rise of the Old Masters) Kanan and the Inquisitor duel for the first time, only to flee. The inquisitor relentlessly pursues them down the hallway of rapidly closing doors.

Ezra's Discovery: (Spark of Rebellion) After realizing the good intentions of the Ghost crew, Ezra feels "something" and boards the Ghost to investigate. He discovers a hidden holocron and lightsaber.

Glory of the Empire: (Empire Day) Parade.

Hera and Ezra Talk: (Vision of Hope) They discuss betrayal and hope in the wake of learning where Gall Trayvis' true loyalties lay.

Holocron: (Spark of Rebellion) In his cell, Ezra inadvertently activates the holocron and its message.

Imperial Inquisition: (Gathering Forces): The Inquisitor's shuttle arrives on the asteroid and his forces discover Kanan and Ezra in control of the creatures. The Inquisitor proceeds to cut them down and engage Kanan in combat.

Inquisitor: (Spark of Rebellion) Kallus contacts the Inquisitor after learning the truth about Kanan.

Kanan at the Gate: (Call to Action) After Tarkin's forces arrive sooner than expected, Kanan makes the choice to stay behind to allow the crew to complete the mission. He also duels the Inquisitor immediately following a short exchange Kallus (notice the villains' themes right in a row).

Lando and the Rebels: (Idiot's Array) Kanan explains to the crew the deal he's made with Lando to get Chopper back. This song also ends with Lando's farewell to the Ghost at the end of the episode.

Enter Kallus: (Spark of Rebellion) Kallus is introduced and inspects the aftermath of the speeder/cargo theft.

Speederbike Chase: (Spark of Rebellion) Ezra disrupts the Ghost crew's heist by stealing one of the speeders and attempting to take one of the crates for himself.

Spring Their Trap: Identical to Imperial Inquisition for some reason.

Storm the Ship: (Spark of Rebellion) Hera convinced Ezra to warn the rest of the crew about the trap they are walking into.

Team Steals a Walker: (Rebel Resolve) The teams steals a walker to try and determine Kanan's location.

The Well: (Breaking Ranks) The cadets' second challenge in the Academy.

What's the Force?: (Spark of Rebellion) Kanan tries to convince Ezra to join the crew; Obi-Wan's message; Ezra returns the lightsaber. If you don't remember, definitely re-watch (actually re-watch anyway)!

Yoda's Guidance: (Path of the Jedi) Yoda simultaneously helps Kanan and Ezra overcome their fears.

You Can Do This: (Spark of Rebellion) The crew engages Kallus and his forces in zero-gravity. This skirmish ends with Kallus grabbing Ezra and Zeb making the hard choice to leave him behind.

Zeb Orrelios: (Droids in Distress) Zeb engages the Imperial forces to allow the team to steal the disrupters.

smudger9 and darskpine10 like this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Great list. I may not like the Rebels soundtrack that much, but knowing when each track plays is really nice to know. =D=

Regarding that duplicated track: A few of the Clone Wars tracks he posted were duplicates as well. So, maybe it's a problem with Kiner's site?

Whenever I listen to The Battle of Hoth medley, I always think of the walker scene now.