main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I would think early 20s...assuming the NR is not using child soldiers. Academy to me says a multi year military school instead of a quickie basic training of several months.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Around 20 probably. He is (or was) a New Republic Navy fighter pilot after all.

It also makes his complaining about being forced to be a poor mechanic on the Colossus completely understandable to me. This is a guy from a rich family that is a qualified military pilot. It still doesn't make any sense to me why would Poe sent him to be a spy on some Outer Rim fuel station. He would be a perfect candidate for the Resistance fighter squadrons and they could even try to use his family connections to get some money and supplies.

I'm also surprised BB-8 is still around. If he's going to stay on the Colossus the whole first season, it means he spent the six months before TFA with Kaz. BB-8 is supposed to be Poe's droid, yet he's spending most of TFA, TLJ and now potentially also Resistance with other people.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it means BB-8 spent a few months before TFA on a mission with Kaz because Poe asked him to. How does that not make him Poe’s droid?

4. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I doubt they would get Kaz's dad's support...he made his feelings on The Resistance pretty clear.

I would have loved to have seen a different droid for Kaz. Maybe his own droid from growing up and being a racer before the Academy. Or maybe he 'frees' a droid from the FO or pirates on a mission into FO territory.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Hopeless likes this.
  5. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I didn't mean legally or anything like that, BB-8 is of course Poe's droid, its more of a personal feeling thing. Poe is always acting super excited and "buddy" like every time he sees BB in the movies, yet in the movies it feels like BB-8 has more moments with Finn and Rey than with Poe. And now it looks like he'll have more moments with Kaz than with Poe as well. In TFA, its probably a remnant of the fact that Poe was originally supposed to die in the beginning of the movie.

Kaz could have always used his father's contacts and intel behind his back. He still might try to do that in some of the upcoming episodes.

Its possible. He'll need his own astro droid when BB-8 finally leaves to rejoin Poe.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That would explain why Poe is always super excited to see BB-8. Because he’s often away on missions. :)

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If Kaz is a representation of the brightest of the Republic (Navy), it's no wonder why Leia said **** you guys, I'm forming the Resistance.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    By everything we have seen, Kaz actually is a really good pilot.

It is was the Resistance who assigned him a job without training. Or funding. Or equipment. Or establishing a cover story beyond giving him a job (also without training at that job)

So it's Leia's group that is coming off bad here.

(Actually, come to think of it, with that many handicaps Kaz isn't doing that bad.)

MrDarth0 and Chris0013 like this.
  9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    This is why I want to see Kaz get creative with getting by on the station. Do things that can get people on his side and make some money. Get the Fireball fixed up so it can actually compete....start winning some races and bets. And get a couple of blasters for good measure.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    True.

(Actually, there has been less flying and racing than I expected from the previews. Looking at the upcoming descriptions and the unused bits of the trailers, I am starting to wonder if Kaz will ever fly the Fireball again)

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, in the last episode, Kaz was actually quite creative with his spycraft. Landing him a very important piece of intelligence.

MercenaryAce and Chris0013 like this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I haven't seen him do anything to say he is a really good pilot.

13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    And I've given credit for that...though bumbling in his methods he got some good intel. As soon as the droid came out he should have turned off his comlink.

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    He landed a hit on a TIE ace that was good enough to give Poe Dameron trouble - and we all know what Poe usually does to TIE squadrons, much less individual craft.

And he almost beat Torra Doza in a race despite having an inferior machine.

It is even the earliest part of his character design according to some of the behind the scene stuff, where they say he is like a bird - awkward and clumsy on the ground, graceful in the air.

15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I really wish they would show some of these racers/fighters being 2 seaters. Just in case a storyline involves someone being picked up somewhere.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I just hope things pick up. I caught the first two SW Lego All Star clips and had more fun with those than I've had with Resistance so far.

jedi-soon and cwustudent like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m enjoying the “slice of life” aspects of Resistance, actually. It’s something we haven’t really gotten before in the GFFA. People living their lives - meeting up at bars, going to sporting events, dealing with power outages, etc. It’s very unique among Star Wars stories in that way, and I applaud that. Even if some of it can occasionally get a little dull.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

The hit on Red Baron was a pure plot armour. IIRC Kaz had no engines and the enemy just flew into his laser fire like a numpty. Kaz showed no skill there.

Torra was clearly playing with Kaz. She could have beaten him easily in that race but chose not to.

19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Kaz's hit on Vonreg was about strategy...Vonreg lost situational awareness and assumed Kaz was out of the picture....Kaz told Poe to lure him to his guns. As a pilot Kaz out thought his opponent and made the shot.

Racing Torra...if the Fireball has been in better shape then Kaz would have won. But the engines crapped out at the start which gave Torra a headstart and crapped out again when he pushed too hard causing him to crash.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. And no matter how it looked on screen, it was obviously meant to show that Kaz was both a good pilot and a thinker. To argue that it didn’t show skill negates the actually story being told on screen.

21. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    ...I have to admit I find the "plot armor" argument to be rather...circular, especially in circumstances like this (Also worth noting that Poe was impressed that Kaz was even alive after facing Vonreg, so he showed some skill flying beforehand)

Even more so the Torra argument - I am not sure what evidence there is for her toying with him, and frankly it seems out of character for her.

As an aside - anyone else notice that Poe and Kaz vs Vonreg seems to have been based on Wedge and the Y-Wing vs Baron Fel?

Outsourced likes this.
  22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Yester
    The only reason Kaz is alive is because Poe saved him with a plot armour level 90° angle oneshot to destroy the torpedoes (which then magically disappear, causing no splash damage). He rightfully got shot up at the beginning with his reverse face turn and stop, a terrible tactical manoeuvre, losing all his momentum energy. After that he was no longer "piloting", he was manning a stationary gun position which Red guy kindly flew right at. Massive plot armour for Kaz.

Torra basically stopped to let Kaz catch up after his bad start. Her line "You're doing great Kazuda" clearly implied this with her tone. The Fireball's pace then seems to briefly surprise her, but the actual piloting skill shown by Kaz is negligible. He then takes his hands off the controls when the engines failed and should have been killed when he hit the ring while still at high speed.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It just seems like you're reaching far beyond what's shown to justify your dislike.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    The opposite, I am going purely on what has been shown rather than what we have been told. I'm not disliking the show, I just want to see more piloting with actual dogfighting skills on show. This is after all animated by the same people that did this...

MercenaryAce and Hopeless like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Jesus. What happened is what the story tells us happened in-universe. Poe is impressed by Kaz’s thinking in the cockpit, no matter how you judge completely fictional piloting maneuvers from your out-of-universe perspective. The story shows us that Kaz is a good pilot, and that other good pilots, like Poe, think so. That’s what matters. Not the fact that the animators are probably not pilots and therefore don’t present realistic depictions of good piloting...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018