main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Yup. Star Wars has gotta be all grimdarkz. Especially the stuff aimed at elementary kids.

Outsourced, Bor Mullet and RokurGepta like this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I didn't say anything about the story needing to be darker and depressing. A show can be fun without resorting to making fun of the main character, and making him not be able to stay on his feet for more than 5 minutes at a time and shrieking every 2 minutes.

3. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    He's a fresh-faced newbie faking-it-til-he-makes it, in a series aimed at a bunch of 10 year olds.

I think we can turn a blind eye to some physical slapstick here.

4. Trobon_Ziir

Trobon_Ziir Jedi Knight

Oct 29, 2011
    I really don't understand the whole "it's meant for children" argument. First of all, it presumes children are incapable of enjoying a show without slapstick elements a mature storytelling. One of my favorite shows at that age was the X-Men animated series, a show with color fight scenes and a story I could be interested in, even if I couldn't always appreciate the deeper meaning behind some of the ideas. Heck, even Star Wars is a great example. The original trilogy was enjoyed by millions of children worldwide, even though there were very few slapstick elements (C-3PO had a couple, but not many).

People said "it's just a kid's show" about TCW and Rebels too regarding some of the more childish elements, but I think most people agree that TCW was better without the burping hutt baby, for example. It was still a show that children could enjoy even as it matured in its storytelling.

I think we can have a show that is aimed at 10-year-olds and still hope for a somewhat more mature version of the show at the same time.

5. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    But why is it somehow an issue for you that there are slapstick elements? Is that somehow wrong?

It's not mutually exclusive, a "mature" story/theme with lighthearted stuff too. Lucasfilm's always had goofy stuff, across all their media. Hell, even the darker end of the spectrum like Temple Of Doom and Revenge Of The Sith.

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    When I think back to the cartoons I watched as a child in the 80's there was the slapstick comedy characters too, but they were never the main character and they were almost always the least liked character of the show. Scott and T-bob in M.A.S.K., Snarf in Thundercats, Orko in He-Man for example. Maybe the fact that Star Wars' Droids cartoon was not successful was because the main character (who could speak) was Threepio in permanent slapstick mode. I remember hating Threepio in Droids.

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, and that’s why Kaz isn’t defined by the slapstick elements. There’s a lot more to his character, and the slapstick stuff is just an accent. He’s shown to be pretty clever and a very good pilot. He’s no Jar Jar.

RokurGepta likes this.
  8. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Am I to assume some of y'all didn't like the Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry when you were kids?

Bor Mullet and RokurGepta like this.
  9. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Or anything Goofy is in? 'Cause he's even klutzier than Kaz, and that's saying something. At least Kaz is a good driver/pilot.

RokurGepta likes this.
  10. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    What are you saying, anthropomorphic dogs can't fly planes?! :) This bigotry shall not stand.

RokurGepta and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    With the story fully segueing into the Resistance-First Order war, would it be a good idea to just start straight in from season 2?

12. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't think so. It shouldn't take very long to burn through season 1.

my kind of scum and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Not at all. The story will still mostly be nonsensical unless you've seen Season 1. Plus, if you're mostly interested in the ST tie-in, there are explicit connection to TFA made in the first season.

my kind of scum likes this.
  14. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    He isn't even that. Luck and plot armour have kept him from killing himself in the cockpit.

15. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Did you see all of Season 1? Unless I’m misremembering I thought he did some pretty fancy flying in that episode with Poe in the asteroid field. One of the pirate episodes too, I think. Plus the race or races he competed in. I’m foggy on details, but I think he’s been shown many times to be competent.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    From my memory, Kaz actually crashed into things in both the race episode with Tora, and the asteroid one with Poe. Yes he accomplishes great things in the cockpit, but just like when he is on his feet, it is mixed with dangerous errors and accidents.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, he crashed because the Fireball was barely in working order. Skill doesn't matter when your equipment is wonky. And an asteroid field is tricky even for seasoned pilots. We know from elsewhere Poe can be too careless, so him coming out unscathed is partly a testament to his skill and partly to his luck.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, the extent of Kaz’s lack of skill is being greatly exaggerated by some viewers. He’s generally an ace pilot, and quick on his feet. His motor skills while on solid ground are just a little wobbly. How that inspires such contempt and hatred is beyond me.

my kind of scum and RokurGepta like this.
  19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Of course skill matters when your aircraft has become faulty. Kaz doesn't handle any of The Fireball's malfunctions (which I am also not a fan of) well. He just screams and lets the plot armour save him, The Rematch short video (see page 56 of this thread) being a prime example of this. He didn't use rudder yaw to avoid the Colossus and then when he finally stuck the flightstick back on he pulled back on the stick and then to one side. This should have left him dead inside the hanger's ceiling, but the plot armour saved him by ignoring Kaz's stick movement and making the Fireball pull a kind of handbrake sliding stop. Also a good pilot would never take off in an aircraft as dangerous as The Fireball, and doing so automatically makes Kaz a dangerous pilot in my opinion.

20. ScorpioGirl

Jan 2, 2019
    Then let's. Get. Dangerous! XD I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. LOL

21. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Fair enough, I heard some mixed things about season 1 elsewhere.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, just make up your own mind. There are slapstick elements that are the primary brunt of the criticism. So your tolerance of that may affect your opinion. However, the visuals are the best of any Star Wars animated series so far, the world-building is interesting (particularly as it adds depth to the ST world), and at times, it’s even genuinely funny. Not perfect by any means, and it’s certainly aimed at a pretty young demographic, but in my view, it’s very unfairly maligned in some fan quarters.

For context, I say this as someone who’s favorite Disney Star Wars films are Rogue One and Solo...

my kind of scum likes this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  24. ScorpioGirl

Jan 2, 2019
    Wow, Hype is NOT happy with this new development is he? LOL He and Poe should bond. I have wanted Hype to be knocked off his high tower for almost a year now. Also, Kaz finally joins the Aces! Also also, "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" just started playing in my head. How 'bout you guys?!

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Good stuff. Though as this is a Spoilers Allowed forum, I don't think you have to tag your posts as spoilery. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019