main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards Official Summer 2006 Before The Saga Awards! - Awards Ceremony Today!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Before_Awards_Sock, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    The list has been updated once again. :) Congrats to all that qualified!

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Should we wait for a PM or just start sending in the excerpts to the Sock?

3. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    You can go ahead and start sending them in. :) We should be sending out PMs throughout the day though. Thanks for asking!

4. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Note on Excerpts: Please be sure to include broken mark-up when you send in your excerpts. Please use {i] for italics, {b] for bold, {u] for underline and so on.

5. Before_Awards_Sock

Before_Awards_Sock Before Sock for FanFic Awards star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 30, 2004
    Clarified Rules On Excerpts:

1. Please Send Excerpts to the Before The Saga Sock! Please send them in one PM if at all possible.

2. Excerpts may not exceed 800 words including an authors note. Excerpts exceeding the word limit will either be edited or will not be posted.

3. Excerpts will be posted in the order in which the come in.

4. Please include any markup in broken links. Use {i]{/i] for italics, {b]{/b] for bold, {u]{/u] for underline and so on.

5. Please list the category of the excerpt and include a broken link to your story.

6. For Best Author/New Author you may include up to 4 links to other stories in addition to the one you selected your excerpt from.

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Wow, thanks to all the volunteers doing the work! It does take a lot of organization to do these. And thanks to everyone who nominated me!

A few questions....

Should author's excerpts include a link to the story? Would that link count for the 800 word count?

I got a PM to send excerpts for Best Action and Best Series, but I noticed on the final list that my name showed up under Best Author as well. Is that right? Should I send excerpts for that as well?

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Please send a link to the story as well.

8. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    For Best Author/New Author

Choose a selection that best represents your work that is 800 words or less. Please link to the story (broken link) and include your title and of course your name. You may choose up to four other stories to link to after your excerpt. Please make sure to have broken markup codes.

This is an example of what to do:

{link=url]your bestest story ever[/link] by bestWriterEver

[800 word excerpt]

{link=url]Story 1[/link]
    {link=url]Story 2[/link]
    {link=url]Story 3[/link]
    {link=url]Story 4[/link]

Hope that helps!
    -Jaya

9. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Yes please. :) No, it's not part of the word count.

Sorry about that. Yes, you did qualify and it would be wonderful if you sent in a PM for best author. I was doing the list for volunteers during the wee hours of the morning. That's a bad idea. I don't suggest it. ;)

To everyone else, if your name appears on the qualified list and we didn't send you a pm... I'm sorry! [face_blush] [:D]

10. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Thank you to all that have sent in your excerpts already, and I hope we get more soon. :)

11. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Can we send in excerpts as we're done with them or do we have to wait 'till they're all done and send them all in at once?

12. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    We'd prefer them in one pm.

[face_batting] Hopefully that answers your question. (Yes, but it'd be nice if you did it in one. But I've done a gazillion during one awards, so I do understand.)

13. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Gotcha. Thanks. I'll do my best to send them all in at once. I think I can pull that off. You all work hard enough as it is. No reason for me to make it harder. ;)

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Yes, believe me when I say it's a lot easier on the volunteers if you send the excerpts in with one PM.

Good luck everyone.

15. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Don't forget to send in your excerpts! Don't want the volunteers to get bored after all. ;)

(Btw, I [face_love] my volunteers. They're so spiffy!)

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, well, we're rather attached to you, too.

On excerpts, we'd appreciate attention to format requests. :)

17. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    If anyone is needing help getting the mark-ups broken for their excerpts, or checking length or whatever, feel free to PM me.

KD

18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    That's really nice of you, KD! Wish I'd known that before I fought for hours with mine! LOL! ;)

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm not sure if I did it right or not. I guess you'll let me know...

20. ShadowofLures

ShadowofLures Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    um, so the excerpt thing is someone1 nominating someone2, or someone1 sending in a random excerpt from their own story? [face_worried]

i'm not the brightest crayon in the box. :D

-Lures @};-

21. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    If you've qualified for Best Author/New Author, the four other stories you can link to after your excerpt, can they be from Saga/Beyond?

22. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    ShadowofLures
    The authors of the stories that qualified are supposed to pick an excerpt that best represents the category they were nommed in. So for instance, if the author qualified for best romance in story X, the author would pick the best/ his or her favorite romantic part of the story.

But as an author, I think it?d be incredibly funny/cool to know what my readers? favorite parts are. You might think about PMing that author. ;) He/she might be very flattered. :)

bi0nic
    You can have up to four links, but they should be from Before the Saga because that is the era you were nominated for best new author in. :)

23. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    If anyone still needs help doing their excerpts they should feel free to PM me and ask. For some reason I thought Before was already done with submissions so I only posted this to Saga. But since you have another day or two it looks like, I'll go ahead and post this here too. If you want it gone Jaya, feel free to get me or a mod to edit it out.

Here's a really simple (well, its supposed to be) tutorial on how to get excerpts with broken markups to submit all in one PM even if you write in the post window rather than in a text document and don't know what "broken markups" means:

Open your web browser (Internet Explorer, firefox, Safari, whatever) to tf.n.
    Open Notepad (or textedit on a Mac) with a blank document.

Repeat the following for each excerpt you need to do:

1. Go to the top of the Notepad file (for the first excerpt or to the end of the last excerpt for subsequent ones) and enter the category of the award, the title, the link to your story, and your screen-name in whatever format they have asked you for it at the top of the page and leave a blank line or whatever they have asked you to do to show the start of the excerpt. At this point too, type in any author's notes you think that excerpt needs. Remember to include them in your count.

2. Switch back to the web browser and go to the post of the story you are currently excerpting that has the text you want to use for your excerpt. Or open the file on your computer that contains the story and select the text you want to use. If you are using a story file skip the next three steps.

3. Click on the "quote reply" link at the bottom of that post. Or better yet the "edit message" link if you're sure you'll remember to back out without changing anything.

4. Right-click (or on a Mac hold-click) the text inside the reply box and select "select all".

5. Right_click (or hold_click) again and select "copy". Back out of the Quote reply at this point unless you think you might have goofed.

6. Switch over to the window for Notepad (or textedit on a Mac) by clicking in it and go to the edit menu and select paste.

7. In the resulting pasted text, delete the {quote=you-date-etc] bit at the beginning and the {/quote] bit at the end. They'll have the straight bracket not the curly one, so it will look that tiny bit different. Unless you used "edit message" in which case they're not there. Also skip this step if you used a file on your computer instead of the quote reply method.

8. Also remove any text you don't want included in the excerpt.

9. Repeat for all excerpts. Making sure to back out of the "quote reply" or "edit message" window each time so you don't change your story thread.

The following you need only do once:

Still in Notepad (textedit):

Go to the edit menu and choose replace (or find on the Mac) to bring up the "find and replace" box. In the "find" box type [ and in the replace box type { and click the "replace all" button. All the markups are now broken so instead of italics showing up when the volunteers open the PM, it will say {i]italics{/i] and they can reverse the one step global edit process to get the markups to show in the excerpt thread.

Go to the edit menu and choose "select all".

Go to the edit menu and choose "copy".

Now switch back to the web browser (Internet Explorer, firefox, Safari, whatever) window by clicking in/on it.

Open a PM to the awards sock (easy way - click on the PM link on the first post of this thread) with the subject they asked you to use, probably something simple like "excerpts".

Right click (or on a Mac hold-click) in the body window for the message and choose "paste".

All your excerpts are now in that window. Click the send button.

Go back to notepad and save that text file with all your excerpts in it (if you haven't already) as Summer2006BeforeExcerpts.txt or something just in case there is something wrong and you need to fix it and resend them.

You don't have to use Notepad of co

24. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Also, don't forget a broken link to your story, the story title, and which category you're nommed for. It makes things MUCH easier on our end. :)

Thanks KD! :)

25. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Don't forget, excerpt submissions end the 16th! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.