main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "The Book of Boba Fett" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I would take it even further than that. An effective deepfake that truly works is superior to a recast because there is more realism to its appearance; it is far closer to the original than a recast. Ask yourself what felt more true to the original- the Luke deepfake, or Mr. "needed acting lessons on the set" Aldrich?

I suppose some may find it ghoulish, but I think for many of these critics it is just self-righteous showiness. They think it makes them sound sophisticated, knowledgeable, cosmopolitan, and deep to spew such criticism, when it makes them sound just the opposite of those descriptors.

And yes, there was certainly a personal insult toward Hamill, and a pretty pathetic one all things considered.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Enough with the slander of Alden Ehrenreich needing acting lessons on set. That is not true. Lord and Miller brought a consultant onto the set to work with all actors on helping to achieve their particular style of comedy. It had nothing to do with him not being able to act. Ehrenreich is a fantastic actor and this kind of persistent misinformation is the kind that can unfairly ruin careers. Stop repeating it.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah that was something I had read, but the level of truth to that or his ability as an actor really didn't have much to do with the point I was making. I would like to think I'm really a big shot that can influence a famous actor's career trajectory with a single off-handed, half-serious comment on a blog, but truth be told I don't think I am.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, it's not just you. It's a piece of misinformation that has spread far and wide in the Star Wars fandom, and is really resilient despite being completely...not true. And this kind of unfair press does have a way of complicating lives and careers, as we saw with Jake Lloyd and even Hayden Christensen. Just flagging that, is all. Hopefully it doesn't get repeated anymore around here.

TCF-1138 and PymParticles like this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Except what happened in those cases is entirely different. Those weren't based on specific information that was in the media, it was just people being nasty to those guys because they didn't like the movies, those were disappointed and butthurt fans (just like the hate that Lucas got), Hayden got a lot of roles even though he went into hiding after the movie, and his explanation for going into hiding didn't have much to do with fan hate if what he says in interviews is to be believed. What happened to Jake Lloyd wasn't nice, but he suffered from a genetically derived mental illness, which had a whole lot more to do with why he couldn't continue any kind of career later on, that and the pressures of being a child star, which almost always are majorly damaging. If you Google it and reads some of the articles, they specifically state that an acting coach was hired for the lead in the show. Regardless of the level of truth to that, it is in print all over the place, so that is where the information is coming from, it is not baseless fan hate, and it is nothing that can be controlled. I didn't think Alden or the movie was bad, I just didn't get Han Solo out of it very strongly; less than I got Luke out of the Boba, which was my point.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is even worse, in a way, because it’s based on misinformation rather than taste. Sources of information are important. And the articles that say what you’re saying are based on a distortion of what we know happened: a consultant was brought on to help the cast and crew get their heads around Lord and Miller’s comedic style. It was never something centered on Alden’s acting. The “articles” you’re referring to all derive from one source that distorted the information. People could publish a million articles based on that bad info, and it will still always be bad info. In short, it’s not true and now you’re aware of that. Which is great.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Great, now that we've established that disinformation is bad let's drop this subject, before I make deepfakes of your accounts and we see which people prefer.

Sarge and godisawesome like this.
  8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/book-boba-fett-star-wars
    Godfather influences:

>“You think about Don Corleone,” Favreau says. “There's a tremendous amount of restraint because he knows that to be sustainable, there has to be \[peace.\] You don't do well unless there's some political balance, because if you keep going to the mattresses, nobody's earning.”
    >
    >The elder Corleone in The Godfather also rejects the drug trade and resists calls to “do murder.” Stability and safety are more important to the boss at that point in his life. “You think about what things are off limits. Don Corleone wasn't just doing everything to line his pockets as he got later into his career,” Favreau says. “You look at De Niro, in the flashbacks in The Godfather: Part II, as he's walking down the streets. He's seen as somebody who's actually creating, someone the people respect because of the way he conducts himself. There's lots of different ways to run an empire. There's the Sonny Corleone way, there's the Michael Corleone way and then there's the Vito Corleone way.” One is hotheaded, the other is coldblooded.
    >
    >The last one is even-tempered—even if that moderation endlessly divided longtime Star Wars obsessives.

Conan:

>“We would talk to Robert about Conan,” Favreau says. “Conan starts off as a young warrior and then ages up through the books until he's Conan the King. So, how is Boba the crime lord going to be different, knowing what he knows, than what he would've been when he was a younger man?”
    >
    >The short answer, according to Favreau: “I think he's just wise. … He's also a much older character because now we're after the original trilogy. He's at a different point of his life, having experienced what we had seen in all the previous films.”

**Filoni agrees that fans buy into the myth of Boba Fett rather than accepting that he was often more clever than he was combative:**

>“Boba Fett calls Darth Vader to capture Han Solo, he doesn't capture Han Solo,” Filoni notes of Fett’s big moment in Empire. “He gets on the phone and he says, ‘Come here and get Han Solo, I found him.’”

**Filoni disagrees with the popularly held notion that Fett was one of the few characters who could defy Darth Vader:**

>“It's funny when you say he stands up to Darth Vader. Does he do that? I think he was hired and Vader tells him, ‘No disintegrations,’ and he's like, ‘...Okay,’” Filoni says. “I love Boba Fett but even when I was a kid, the idea that he fell into the Sarlacc pit actually never disappointed me because I'm like, ‘The story is not about him.’”

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Just binged the whole series for the first time.

Gotta say I loved every scene Boba was in, I even felt this was the best Star Wars in decades, till Mandalorian Season 3 interrupted the flow and attempted to steal Fett’s thunder.

I loved Temuera Morrison! He deserves an Oscar for his performance! I was eraptured by how the story delved into his past (we saw Jango) and conveyed it with such nuance, layers of emotion, and engagement. I also loved that Boba waa affected by his Tuskan life, he wanted to create a better Tatooine, one with respect in place of fear.

Now. I want to say Mando dragged the story down, and distracted from the totular character. I did enjoy watching Djin and Boba make a last stand together in Episode 7, but you coulda done that as a cameo, rather than hijackinf The Book of Boba with Mando Season 3.

I gotta say, this series ruined Luke Skywalker for me. The Last Jedi did not destroy Luke for me, he was disillusioned, but Yoda sets him straight, “pass on what you’ve learned.” In Book of Boba Luke helps Grogu remebed Order 66 and him watch friends die by clone blaster fire and then has Grogu train with remote shooting blaster fire Him?! Dank Farrik! That’s cruel.
    >>Worse Luke adopts the Jedi non-attachment of the Prequels! What?!!! It was looks attChment to his father that lead to Vader being redeemed! It was Anakin’s attachment and love for his son that saved Luke from being killed by Palpatine’s Force Lightning! If Anakin hadn’t felt attachment for Luke, Luke wouldn’t be lIve to train a new generation of Jedi!!! What the Farrik! O hate Luke now! I renounce him in my fandom! (Rant over).

Overall, I loved all the moments that centered on Boba, Fennic, and those who join Boba’s Daimyo. But when Djin returns, the show shifts into Mando S3 gear, which should have just been saved for its own show, Mando Season 3.

Gotta say I loved Cad Bane, the train sequence, and the Tuskan tribe flashbacks; by the way the history of Tatooine being full of water, oceans, comes from SW Knights of the Old Republic Video Game, when Revan Jedi Prodigal speaks with the chieftain of Tuskan Camp. Nice Kotor easter egg Disney. :)

11. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Many critics of this show have pointed out that it seemed rushed and poorly developed. It's pretty clear to me this is the case when we see Favreau's comments about Fett being a "wise" character:

Now as a storyteller, if you want the audience to believe that your character is wise, then you need to show them consistently doing wise things. The Book of Boba Fett does not consistently portray Boba as a wise person, not in the least. If anything it's the exact opposite: he comes off as naive and idealistic -- he's an old man who needs younger people to tell him what to do.

Favreau has proven himself to be a pretty good storyteller when give sufficient time to develop an idea, and since Fett wasn't realized well, my only conclusion is that the script was massively rushed and that it didn't go through much of a revision process. Morrison's complaints about Fett talking too much is also evidence of a rushed script.

This is exactly the kind of process that KK says that they are against, so I hope that it is an anomaly that resulted from the Pandemic.

Slater, Sarge and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It also takes a deft directing hand to turn these sorts of pulpy stories into something cinematically engaging. And as the main director, Rodriguez did nothing to improve upon the scripts.

And...it was Anakin's possessive attachment to Padme that led him to commit genocide, kill lots of children, and become the enforcer of a fascist galactic empire.

The things you describe about Luke and Anakin from the OT is love and compassion, not attachment. They are very different things.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm 99% Sure it is .

Well that and Mando Season 3 needed changing from what i heard.

Especially given the fact that Kenobi, Ashoka, Mando Season 3, Acylote don't seem to being rushed out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2022
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think people have taken this abit too seriously. Because from a fan's perspective they see it as in the OT he didn't say much and so he is saying too much now. While Tem probably did his research on the character and felt abit unsure about the overall change and how it would be perceived by fans.

But at the same time, Temuera probably had no issue with getting alot of lines, because actors do want lines to work with. But then also, its Boba Fetts show... why would anyone expect him to get very few lines?

I don't think that aspect has anything to do with a rushed script.

The issue i think was with balancing the characters out. Its Boba's show so he had to be the focus. But he couldn't just do everything right and be great at everything because Fennec wouldn't get her moments of girl power, intelligence and to show why Boba needed her. And then of course the bikers were introduced so they needed their moment to show why they are cool and useful. And then the black Wookie character needed to show how badass he was so Boba couldn't exactly beat him to show that, otherwise they would have undermind this new character to the show.

And Boba beat that big goro monster in episode 1 and beat those bikers in the 2nd episode. So they probably thought they gave boba enough cool moments. So yeah i think the issue was in balance. Its something the Mandalorian didn't really have due to being just him and the child most the time.

15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Gotta say the Moped speeders the youngsters Boba hires looked so out of place with rest of the gear and scenery, they looked like they belonged in Back to The Future films.

[​IMG]

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Hot take! ;)

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Gotta say Boba is bada$$.
    He claws and burns his way out of Sarlaac.
    He swoop attacks a train.
    He commands a freaking Rancor!
    He with Mando decide to take on the Syndicate alone (till Free Town arrives)
    He duels Cad Bane, and lives!
    and etc.

Djin you can hold Boba’s beer! :)

18. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    You wouldn't be the first to say that [face_laugh]

I wouldn't say Luke showed him order 66 on purpose (more just trying to remember the past in general, but that's what came up.) but i agree with the attactchment point. I'd say he recognises the danger after Vader. (not that it's right)

19. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Ive rewatched episode 7 of TBOBF a few times. Its a fun leave your brain at the door episode with a real sat morning serial, gunsmoke vibe to it. Some great moments.

Im still so glad we got a Boba series after years of rumors we would get a film and we didnt.

20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Boba Fett was never my favorite character, I liked him, but Book of Boba made me a big fan. I am so thankful to Disney they gave me a series I didn’t think I wanted, but ots what I needed.

21. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    That's interesting because for me it was kind of the opposite, thought not totally. I was never a massive fan of Boba (I just felt he was an interesting background character obviously with an interesting on screen progression) but The Mandalorian got me more interested. I liked the idea of a former bounty hunter being reborn into something more. So I liked the idea but the really poor execution just took me out of caring so much. I absolutely hated that he was made to look like an incompetent idiot much of the time because it just didn't make sense for everything that had come before with him. It came across as a change of character as opposed to a progression of character as a result for me and that was a shame because the progression itself made sense. Then when Mando turned up, it just exacerbated the massive gap in how good a character progression Din has been in comparison.

Plus, I don't hate the mods as a concept because I like new things but I hated that they were essentially whingey teenagers who of course new better than the lead character himself. So, in short, I loved the premise but the execution just ruined it for me. After the Mando detour, I just didn't care to return to Boba's story, it was pretty much a let down as a result for me.

I did enjoy the last episode though because by that stage I had switched my brain off and no longer cared...and we got the 'twirl' and I will forever be grateful for that.

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm glad too. The Mandalorian scratched a big itch for that type of show already and Boba was a nice bonus.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    A series with some good individual episodes, some interesting ideas, but obviously rushed/limited production led to poor execution and failed, contradictory character development.

If you watch the show with one eye closed, it can be fun distraction. But in reality there are major missed opportunities here, and the feeling that the writer and actors disagree about the essentials of the character.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I didn’t think the Mods knew better than Boba, or Fennic. Fennic had to rescue them. Teens are known to think they know everything, but I felt they had growth, realizing their place in Boba adoptive family. I frankly am glad a show touched on teens need a greater role and purpose, it was refreshing to see teens join a cause rather than just dope up on deathsticks.

25. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I did notice one of the teens seemed to be dressed like he was on earth rather then tatooine.

clone commander bossk likes this.