main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "The Book of Boba Fett" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    The lack of Dave Filoni explains a lot.

2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I felt like this show was... okay... and admittedly, I was happy when Mando um sort of um took over the show. And I was high when I watched that episode having not watched any previews and so it was... delightfully confusing when I realized the whole episode was going to be Mando lol. I was kinda getting bored before Mando appeared.

What I like is Boba Fett taking over Jabba's palace, that's great. I like this whole thing where he's playing benevolent leader, that's great. I like the team-up with him and Shand, that's great.

As I understand it, BOBF is supposed to show transition of Boba Fett form a selfish opportunist to someone who has a sense of community. The experience with the Tuskins is supposed to be that transformative. I'm not sure I really bought that... He seemed already transformed when he was captured by them.

Boba told Shan it didn't make sense that they, the clever ones, are often working for all these idiots who either do or don't have some kind of "vision" but in any case don't really have anything constructive to contribute to the galaxy and run things in the stupidest way possible, shouldn't actually be the ones in charge so they can apply their intelligence where it is sorely needed. I loved this. The main characteristic of Fett imo has always been his cleverness/intelligence (this is how he knows where Han is going before Han does in ESB). But THEN BOBF didn't back it up in Fett's character. I don't think Fett would have made the mistake of assuming the symbol left after the Tuskens were killed was the symbol of the killers. Cad Bane also seemed to scoff at this inside. I wanted to see master mind Boba Fett basically (because that's what he was proposing) and I didn't feel he was enough of a master mind. I noticed ppl complaining online about Fett not being bad ass enough and maybe I missed something, but I thought what he was always good at was outsmarting people, not winning physical confrontations?

The show kinda dragged for me until Mando showed up and I thought it needed more worldbuilding... It was confusing to me really what was going on with the factions and politics of that city (I know it was divided into sectors under these different groups). Fett is talking about "their people" all the time, but I feel like we're not seeing enough of these people and who they are and what their interests are that are being impeded by all these criminal gangs/groups. The city though was really growing on me until the Cantina was destroyed lol. They also had those biker kids and they would have been a way to show what life is like in the city for citizens. Like what do they do for fun? How do they see all the factions? I just wanted some depth here really.

So I guess I wasn't convinced that Fett had so quickly discovered from the Tuskens this sense of community and how to be prosocial after so many years as a selfish opportunistic bounty hunter (which all started when he was a kid and had to fend for himself). That's a lot to deprogram. I wanted to see a transformation in the character first spurred on by the experiences with the Tuskens and then reinforced once he sees the difficulties in this city and can employ what he's learned as a community builder. And it WAS doing that, but imo it wasn't doing it well enough or in depth enough.

I had a hard time believing Fett in BOBF WAS the Fett from AoTC, TCW, ESB. One thing that might have helped would be to show how long Fett had been in that pit (like is there a time dilation effect in which 30 minutes in that pit is 3 years outside it?). When he goes into the pit Jabba is alive, the Empire at least seems still at the height of their power, and when he emerges... everything has changed. If we could see him reacting to how things have changed BEFORE he ends up with the Tuskens, and that he's already kind of rethinking who he's going to be in this new world, that could have helped...

Also building community isn't easy, especially when how you begin is by killing the people currently running things haha. Fett failed to help the Tuskens, all of his help contributed to them getting killed, and I would have liked to bring this in more in the forms of conflict both external and internal as he tries to community build in the city (this time he will do it right).

There was a lot I liked about this... I loved the Twi-leks sigh. I had to list them first. I thought the city had great potential with more worldbuilding. Again I love Fett and Shand running things together from Jabba's palace and I like how they work together. I like the inclusion of that sheriff guy again and Cad Bane (and all the Mando characters including Ahsoka and Luke). I liked Fett vs. the spicelords. (Sorry I've forgotten who/what everything is called.) I liked that Fett is finding his new way (like a new code) of ethics and loved when he and Mando are together and have that brief conversation about religion in which Fett reveals he's... kinda an atheist and Mando is off course highly religious lol (and facing his own questions of faith after The Armorer cast him out). I'm interested in more of their philosophical differences. I like the sort of philosophical focus in Mando/BOBF in general as it feels rather GL and more mythlike.

I just wish it had been better I guess. Like it's all there... but it could have been better.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    pronker likes this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Dave Filoni was involved with TBOB.

4. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    He must have been distracted.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The world-building was pretty bad and super thin in TBOBF, but I’m still glad they made it. I like the Pykes as villains, in particular. And the hutts showing up for the first time is one of my favorite Star Wars scenes. Drums. Drums in the street!

One very poor decision that almost killed the show for me, though, was fridging all the Tuskens and having the dumb Mos Pelgo crew come to the rescue in a speeder, instead of what would have been an infinitely more satisfying option of having the Tuskens roll in to support Boba’s house-cleaning. Boba had zero connection to the Mos Pelgins, and so it felt very dramatically inert. Not to mention how Scooby Doo ridiculous that Mos Pelgo crew was. Don’t you worry, we’ve got a speeder, five people (including one or two 12-year olds) and some guns. We got this!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Again, I think TBOBF suffered from being transposed into a televised format e.g. unduly stretched out plus the production constraints of a TV (albeit expensive for TV I'm sure) budget. If this had been a circa 2.5 hour film, told chronologically (rather than all the flashbacks), with big budget production values, I think at the very least it would have been better than Solo (and I thought Solo was ok). As a TV show, BOBF is fine, but a bit like the Kenobi show, it probably deserved more.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Kenobi was so much better though. I wouldn’t even put the two shows in the same sentence.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  9. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I was a little dubious of clicking on this video, and I wouldn't say it drastically changed any of my opinions, but I actually found it to be pretty interesting.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    A tease at future for this show moving forward.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    Ody_Mandrell likes this.
  11. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    After google translated because i don't speak Spanish. it says

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope so. I enjoyed the first season despite some flaws.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder if that meant it will continnue with the Pyke syndicates or other crime syndicates. The Pyke leadership will want revenge on Boba Fett. Marg Krim still head of the Pykes, and we could see more of the criminal syndicates in storytelling.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with this. And I think it would have been the Tuskens had they not felt compelled to bring in Din and give him something to do. It was set up far better than the Mos Pelgo people with Boba teaching the Tuskens how to fight against the Pykes and then being wiped out but with the Warrior seemingly surviving. It would have been far more satisfying to have the Warrior show up with a united force of Tusken tribes.

Bor Mullet, Sarge and Riv_Shiel like this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope in Season 2, book of boba fett we see other planets then just Tatooine. Lets see the Pyke homeworld that we see in Clone wars. And lets start introducing the other Crime syndicates. I still have Hope for a Qira return, with us still seeing Crime syndicates after season 1 of book of boba fett. Season 1 like many shows are small scale, so Season 2 be bigger.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I will take it even if RR is involved again.

Episodes 5 and 6 was Star Wars at its best, and honestly no episode was bad for me.

The finale was very good too, and that one was directed by RR.
    Nah, it's not in Spanish, it's in Gungan and Muy Pronto means "Very Unlikely" cause people are complaining about the show :p

Super Maxi Big the Force of the complaints

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Faveru instead of writing Mandalorian season 4 might be it is Book of Boba Fett season 2.
    It might be wrong, but just reminding something:

[In October 2020 Favreau said](https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-wars-mandalorian-movie-pedro-pascal-jon-favreau-1234805417/) that 'season 3' is on track to film on that year, while in reality, it was BOBF, and they called it Mando S3 to fool everyone and hide the spinoff. Even actors thought it was Mando and not BOBF.

When Favreau said he's writing season 4, it might be something else again, the 'next chapter' of the Mandoverse. Maybe BOBF season 2. Because from the leaks it sounds like the original premise of Mando will end in S3.

18. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    As someone who kind of wishes Season One hadn't been made, I'm open to the idea of a Season Two because I want to see a Boba Fett show done better. I want Boba to be cool again.

I also wouldn't mind if someone other than Jon Favreau wrote the second season. His writing in The Mandalorian has been good, but it didn't seem like his heart was in this besides the Tusken stuff.

19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I suspect Favreau wouldn't have written TBOB if his heart wasn't in it.

As for Boba being cool. well everyone likely has different ideas on what makes Boba cool.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Boba Fett is who we see in ESB, ROTJ, Clone Wars and Mandalorian/Book of Boba Fett. And not what the EU portayed him as. The only reason Boba Fett is back and this show is being made is because of Faveru love for the character. What makes the character cool is irrelevant and Faveru's heart is in it. He just need other writers to work with, have a writers room like many shows has.

Here an intresting comment on where the show could go.

At the end of Season 1, Cad Bane tries to prove that deep down, Boba isn’t this new, respectable leader that he is trying to be, but rather the same old killer that Jango had always taught him to be, the same type of killer that Cad Bane still is. And then just take a good look at Boba’s face when he “kills” Bane - deep down, the rage and killer instinct are still there.

Typically, the middle chapter of the hero’s journey deals with said hero questioning their morals and confronting their inner dark side - a season 2 could perfectly delve into this aspect: Boba Fett now rules over Mos Espa and the Dune Sea, but is he truly a changed man, or is this all a façade of a man who is desperate to find purpose beyond just being a gun for hire? Jango Fett sought to achieve purpose by fathering a son, but Boba wants to see past and break free from this life of bounty hunting, after he’d been left for dead by Bib Fortuna and all those he had ever worked for.

Whatever Season 2 could be about plot-wise, it could see Boba leave behind Krrsantan or some of his other followers to look after his castle, while he leaves Tatooine on a personal journey. Said journey could see him go to places like Nar Shaddaa and Nal Hutta (the two Hutts from Season 1 could even make an appearance), the ruins of Tipoca City on Kamino (if any of that is even left) or Batuu (Boba and Fennec now roam the streets of the actual park, after all, and we know that Hondo Ohnaka tends to hang out there too). Characters I would love to see are Fennec Shand (she is now probably Boba’s most trusted ally), Cad Bane (he could absolutely make a return), Bossk (they have a lot of history, after all) and the Black Sun - introducing some more intergalactic cartels can’t hurt, especially if that gives Boba another big competitor for Season 3.

pronker likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It was definitely (I think) a decision driven by Mando’s involvement. But in that case, it wouldn’t have taken a lot of screen time to make the case that aid from the Mos Pelgins was also needed to level the praying field. Or for Mando to go out and liaise with the Tuskens. Or whatever. Lots of options short of completely eliminating the interesting culture Boba spent a bunch of episodes with.

Riv_Shiel and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I really hope we get a season 2. But I also hope they'll rebrand the show if it's going to be The Mandalorian 3.5. That whole thing would just be pointlessly confusing for newcomers.

Darth Baga likes this.
  23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Best guess is that we will get Ahsoka next year and then TBOB season 2 the year after.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  24. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I have always had my doubts they were gonna use crimson's dawn on screen until we get the story with Maul.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022