main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "The Book of Boba Fett" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah you could get a look-alike of anyone to play roles. including for Cara Dune. although doesn't look like they are recasting Cara Dune either.

Maul is Ray Park. without Ray Park, its just gonna be animated stuff.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Cara Dune isnt important enought to recast.

3. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I don't see why Ray playing the role is a problem.

RetropME, TadoFett and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    They wanted Cara Dune for that tv show, so yeah she was important enough. But instead when they fired gina carano, it got shelved.

RetropME and TadoFett like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    They probaly bring him back with warnings. They just waited this long to see how things went.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken, Park claims the naughty video with his wife that he uploaded to his social media was uploaded by accident. If that's really the case, I don't really see why he shouldn't be re-hired. No reason to further hurt his wife.

7. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    That's what i thought.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Maul is Maul. And given all the face paint, one of the easiest roles to recast.
    This level of gullibility would be cute if the issue was…cute.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t like posting about someone else’s personal life but his wife did release a statement saying that it was posted by accident and that the allegations that were posted afterwards from his “children” were faked. He owes his family a huge apology either way but according to those who would actually know it wasn’t done maliciously. Now whether he’ll be back or not I don’t know and I don’t really care.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Saw that. I find it impossible to believe that he accidentally posted that video to Instagram. It’s just not that easy to accidentally post a video like that. I think he may have done so in a low moment, and immediately regretted it. Whatever the case, I hope their family gets past it.

The allegations from his children I don’t lend credence to though.

And yeah, it’s not drama I’m particularly interested in. The only really relevant point is that Maul is one of the easiest characters to recast because…black and red face paint. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually tend to think that if you had to recast him, maybe just putting the face paint and make-up on Sam Witwer himself for the acting scenes would be the best idea.

Witwer’s already the voice, still in freakishly good shape, a proven physical actor and TV star, and not far enough from Park’s physical size and shake to make it a deal breaker.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup.

13. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think there's a 4 step process to upload anything on Instagram + that while yes the screenshots coming from his kids were faked, the messages from his wife saying that it was all him and that ''he's nasty'' were not.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right, we do have that. So it’s quite clear he purposefully posted what he posted. And also clear that his family wants to leave the incident in the past.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  15. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Frankly, Witwer already has supplanted Park as *the* definitive Maul in my eyes, his performance in the animated shows is just exceptional. Even without Parks, uh, extracurricular issues, I’d still give Sam the first crack at it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Sam Witwer is Maul's voice. But Ray Park is Maul physically. His fighting, his mannerisms, posture. It is Ray Park and no one else. You know Maul when you see him.

Just like Boba Fett is Jeremy Bulloch.

RetropME and Sarge like this.
  17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Recasting is probably not likely. The deal is take or leave. if leave, then let that clock to see live-action maul run out.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There are thousands of dudes who can do the same thing. We’re not talking about something that’s super niche.

DarthTalgus likes this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Don't really care for the discussion about whether they should cast Sam Witwer in live action renditions over Rey Park.
    I love Sam Witwer both as a live action actor (since Smallville) and as a voice actor, but he's not Darth Maul in live action.

However, I opened the topic to say that I rewatched the entire show these past few days, and it's even better than I remember.
    Episodes 5-6-7 are amazing, and even the "lesser" episodes are most definitely not bad.
    I have zero issues with TBOBF and hope they make a 2nd season. Anyone who didn't like the show can simply not watch it.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  20. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    As we have learned from the prequels, Star Wars content is like fine wine. It gets better with time.

21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Some of it :p

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  22. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    That's one recast I could get behind 100%. After TCW and Rebels elevated Maul from his status as action eye candy into a real character, I associate Maul with Sam Witwer more than anyone else.

23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well thats associating his voice with Maul. Just like you would alot of the rebel or clone wars voice cast. But Ray Park is the face of Maul. The last season of Clone Wars practically made Maul look like Ray Park and obviously put alot of thought into Ray Parks movements. And respectfully its still his originated character. So i don't think Lucasfilm would replace himself. They are fairly respectful in that regard at least.

I mean if they ever do Starkiller in live action, you know fans will want Witwer to play Starkiller. And why is that? because he was the face of Starkiller.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Prequel criticism, on the other hand, is like fine whine

25. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I should clarify. I'm not saying I want live action Darth Maul to be recast (I haven't been keeping up the controversy surrounding him, so I can't comment on that). I'm just saying I like Sam Witwer in the role so much, I wouldn't shed a tear if Maul was recast. And if having Witwer physically playing Maul eliminates having to lip sync dialogue, it might actually be worth it. I don't know how hard placing one actor's vocal performance over another actor's physical performance is, but it may be significant that Maul's live action dialogue scenes happen in the shadows or via a flickering hologram.

You are right about the importance of Ray Park's physicality on the character though, even in the animation and seeing someone else play Maul in a lightsaber duel would probably feel off. Sam Witwer playing Maul as the head of Crimson Dawn in an era when the Jedi are all but extinct and lightsaber duels seem a remote possibility? I think I could live with that.

Bor Mullet likes this.