main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Oh yeah. The Clone Wars started off as just somewhat above average animation wise to me, but, say, the space battles in the later series were damn near movie levels of scale and presentation.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I took a long hiatus from the fandom, and there's something from a few months ago that's really confused me. Before the latest season came out there was a ton of fan art portraying the new clones. This fan art was very different from the designs we ended up getting (all-orange 332nd, inaccurate paint job for Jesse). For anyone who was around while I was gone, what was the reason for all of this? Did they change the clone designs before the release, or did we just not have good images of the new clone designs yet?

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It probably stems from the early concept art/promo pics, that only showed the front of the helmets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When the season actually aired, we got our full glimpses of the rest of the armour, which were unchanged from 501st standard:
    [​IMG]

As for Jesse, it might be based off the Bad Batch reels, which didn't display the accurate colours:
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Ah, if only my cashflow was Betelgeuse levels of astronomical...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm going to catch flack for this, but here it goes. I did not care for season 7. I'm not going to delve into reasons why as to not start an argument, but season 7 fell flat for me. It had been a long while since I had done a re-watch of the series, so I don't know if that had anything to do with my disappointment or not. But, anyway, I decided to watch again in hopes that maybe seeing every season together would make a difference. I watched The Clone Wars when it initially aired. I loved it. I did a re-watch shortly after back when it was still on Netflix. I loved it still. I'm part way into season 3, and I find I'm not enjoying it like I used to. I'm struggling to keep my interest in virtually every episode. I don't get it. I don't get what's changed. It's not bad. It's not like Rebels where the stories and characters are very contrived and asinine. It's just not kicking in the same level of enjoyment as it had in the past. Has my disappointment in season 7 tainted my view of a show I used to love? Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't feel like the show has aged well. Has anyone else gone through this? Is there anyone else who has been less than thrilled with re-watching The Clone Wars?

The Shadow Emperor and Riv_Shiel like this.
  7. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    I’ve actually found that I’ve enjoyed TCW more since season 7. While I thoroughly enjoyed the SoM arc, I was just kind of ‘meh’ about the other 8 episodes.

In your case that seems to have tainted the whole thing a bit, whereas as for me it’s only enhanced the previous series and made me realise just how good it was

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I still go back and rewatch certain arcs and episodes that I love or don't remember all that well, but I haven't sat down and watched it from start to finish in a while, and I still enjoy it

It's an anthology series, so cherry-picking your favorites is the norm while skipping the parts that don't interest you

...heck, I've even enjoyed the Senate episodes despite them putting me to sleep years ago

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    But even the episodes or arcs that were the most impactful for me in the past have fallen flat. Ambush was a great episode. Seeing Yoda teaching the clones there is more than one way to fight was always enjoyable, but for some reason it just seemed uneventful this time. The Mandalore arc in season 2 was always great, but now seemed boring. So this is my dilemma. Even episodes and arcs that were among the best for me seem like a chore to watch now. I commented in a different thread about how due to the ST, and the shows being set around the OT and leading toward the ST, have made the prequel era feel like it's in the distant past. More like archival footage as opposed to being an integral part of the saga. I'm thinking this may have a lot to do with my lack of enjoyment. It's just disappointing for me because I loved this show so much.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Think of it as a documentary of history in star wars.

12. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    It feels more like a chore of looking it up in an encyclopedia. That's a reference book you look things up in, for the younger crowd.

I should add, I am not trying to disparage the show. I'm not trying to sway others to feel as I do. I applaud those who can still find the joy and excitement in watching. I envy those of you who still do. I was just hoping I'm not alone in how I feel about this once great to me show.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I get it, i still love the show even with it being 70 years in the past.

14. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Maybe that spark will reignite in a few years and you'll start loving it again. If it's mostly due to the time period feeling lost in history compared to everything else, I'm sure there'll be something in the future that focuses on the era - even if most of the work goes into the High Republic era for the next year or two.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  15. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    I'd love to see all the unreleased stories. S7 came out so short.:(

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just started playing the new SW: Journey to Batuu expansion pack for The Sims 4. It doesn't include Ahsoka, but I managed to download a nice Mod of her (Rebels outfit) to use in the game. Unfortunately it doesn't let me bring the full modded skin into the Batuu "world", so instead I chose a cowl for her head and was able to keep her face markings. In this picture, you can see she's visiting a cantina and speaking with a familiar face. He actually carries the same accent we're all familiar with but speaks in "Simlish".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I understand that view about Bad Batch and Sister arcs but do you also feel that way about the Mandalore arc ?

18. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Yeah, I did. It started out solid, but I was disappointed with the last three episodes. The last three episodes, for me anyway, were an exercise on how can we force the events into a movie in which they didn't exist before, and how can we fit Ahsoka into a story she didn't exist in before. I could have given those things a pass, but they did so at the expense of Obi-Wan"s and Anakin's character. Pretty much all of the action and abilities were set to superhero levels. If I wanted to watch a superhero movie, I'd watch MCU. So yeah, I was disappointed in the Siege of Mandalore arc.

clone commander bossk and fett 4 like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, that's the entire series. It's the struggle that kept a lot of people from liking TCW for a long time. If you can't get past that struggle all these years later and after so many works that have integrated TCW's canon, then yeah the whole thing is gonna be soured for you.

20. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I should have stuck to my guns with my initial comment and not gotten into why I was disappointed in season 7. [face_laugh]

In earlier seasons, they treated Ahsoka, and the rest of the characters, sans Anakin & Obi-Wan, for what they were, and that's ancillary characters. She was important, but not to the point of attempting to alter the events of the movies to make her fit. They treated the entire show in such a manner. The show on the whole ran more as an anthology to the prequels, as opposed to attempting to being interwoven into the movie stories. It was a nice exposition into the events of the Clone Wars without being done so at the expense of the movies.

But as I initially said, I used to love the series. I still do love it. I'm just not finding the enjoyment in my re-watch as I used to have watching the show. I don't know if my disappointment in season 7 soured me, or if it just hasn't aged well for me. For me, the sequels, and the newer content has pushed the story forward to the point that prequel era feels distant. I know the era is important and integral, it just feels like it's in the distant past instead of flowing seamlessly into the rest of the saga. More like archival footage of the past. So maybe that has something to do with my lack of enjoyment this time through. Ultimately, I'm just disappointed that I can't seem to find the level of enjoyment I had in the past for the show.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Rebels was more like that for me.

You have both Ezra and Ahsoka still alive when they should both be dead.
    The Rebellion won its first victory not in the crawl of ANH but at Lothal. The Empire didn't go back for well reasons.
    Vader gave up for reasons.
    Hell Ezra even resisted the Emperor. It was all to much

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I forgot; at what point during the OT was it specified that Ahsoka was dead? I must've missed that.

23. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I didn't like Rebels when it initially aired. I'm not going back for a re-watch when I didn't like it from the get go.

And you're right, everything Rebels did flew in the face of the established canon, and basically invalidated the crawl in A New Hope.

Rebels had a myriad of problems. Ezra and Ahsoka were the tip of the iceberg, and they definitely exacerbated the problems with the show, but they were the least of the show's problems. And even through all of it, they still had a chance to turn things around and have a good show. They just never did.

Twin Suns was poised to be one of the most poignant moments of not only Rebels, but in all of Star Wars. It should have delved into the inner workings of Maul's fractured mind. Should have focused on Maul struggling through the desert ,driven only by his hatred and lust for revenge of Obi-Wan. Culminating in one last final showdown. Instead we get Ezra jacking off in the desert for 20 minutes. Same with Twilight of the Apprentice. Here is a duel that is building in tension. Building the suspense. A high stakes affair held firmly to the ground by the gravity of the situation. It felt as if not only was Ahsoka's fate at risk, but the fate of the entire Rebels crew hung in the balance. And then we cut to Ezra sitting on his ass, saying, "Looks like I need more practice." Completely deflated the moment, and the entire episode.

And as you said, Vader stops pursuing two force users because reasons. The Empire didn't continue to pursue for reasons.

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    If you're going to write and insert your characters into a already established universe, its up to you to match up with it and be respectful to it.
    He had the perfect ending for Ahsoka in Twilight of the Apprentice but he decided not to use it.
    Oh yeah Iv not even got to the magic Force Dogs or Helisabers [face_sick]

In S4 Filoni literally produces the writer equivalent of an act of God in order to keep Ahsoka alive. Like if Ezra can go back in time, maybe saving his family or stopping the Empire might be an option for him but I guess not.
    Also the whole show up as Gandalf the white was just [face_plain]

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We knew from Season 2 she lived.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.