main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Weren’t his actually “reported” words “don’t be a coward” :p

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I have one criticism. His half way eye blinking is a bit off putting.

3. Jaster Vhett

Jaster Vhett Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2017
  4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Hahaha. I've still got that Tie Fighter!

Jaster Vhett likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Get out! That’s adorable.

6. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    What was some of the dumb stuff?

Yeah... for a niece or a nephew... for a kid... for a youngster....

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You can also get it for yourself I guess :p

BookExogorth likes this.
  8. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Yessss, I had one too, probably still in my parent's attic somewhere. What was that, some mid-90s release? Either that or I just got it way after it was on the market.

That thing frickin' ruled. Never got the X-Wing, but it was fun having nonsensical toy battles as a young'un, Chewie V.S. some random stormtrooper who was piloting a TIE for whatever reason. Making the most of what you had.

Best toy ever, other than that rubber "realistic"-skinned JP T-Rex with the roaring voicebox and the chunk'o'meat that came out the side of him when getting attacked by raptors. Used to scare the crap out of the little neighborhood chihuahua-type dogs with that awesome mofo.

Oh, 90s. Good times.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    It is really strange how Tie pilots forget they got ejection seats, even Gideon and Kylo in TROS just opt to just go down and forget about the option,lol. In their cases, and Kylo's was really funny, and visibly blow up and yet emerge unscathed. Is that telling the audience they are Force sensitive super beings and/or movie mistakes,lol.

Sarge, thats interesting and pretty fair for that episode although they never used buried sharpened stakes. I think Conan The Barbarian and Predator should've been used for inspiration,lol. I never really bought that all of a sudden mud or small areas of water would prevent a walker since walkers are designed to be rather amphibious and traverse all terrain hence the name. The Raiders had attacked that villaige before, so they would've had a good idea about its layout. The Walker could've also flanked them by walking around. The pilot seemed smart enough to not fall into the muddy water trap anyhow.

Even in Jedi Fallen Order the AT-AT's are walking fine across the water. I mean how deep was that little water on that planet,lol. Its also unclear why the AT-ST was not firing anything but its main heavy cannon which even in the episode which it too had varying effect via-movie effects. Was its grenade launcher empty?!The two side weapons plus their main chin cannons should've been more than enough to wipe out the villagers even from a short distance away, Cara Dune and the Mando. Its not really clear why the raiders went in there before the AT-ST as they negated their own tank support and close support for the tank. They could've held back and just unloaded its firepower from a safe distance of 2 kilometers(1.24 miles) regardless.

There was no good reason to even move forward since its obvious it was a baited trap to get them to the village. I don't know about the logic of having its vision flaps up either, with no armored view shield I thought on Endor they just had their window down and flap up,lol. Snipers in trees could've taken out the drivers , or Mando or Cara could've just pulled a chewie and Tarzan it, heck Mutt Williams could do it, Mando or Cara could,lol. Mando could've just sniped them out which happens anyway but not the way they initially planned at such insane close distance . Also going to raider encampment seemed like a strange plan if they were never gonna take out their tank with grenades there but just walk into tents and stuff.

For Mando, the AT-ST on the show seemed more like a droid with the "red eyes" and pilot that sleeps in the vehicle and "wakes up". It was strange. I really would not understand why the pilots would turn the lights on and keep the metal flaps up,lol. At first I thought it was some kinda night vision but it didnt make much sense either since they shined a big LED light later.

I don't agree with that writer for Hoth, which was problematic yeah but not necessarily for the Rebel defensive side. Since the Rebels on Hoth had a network of trenches with interconnected tunnels and bunkers, a web of defensive anti-tank/anti-personnel cannons and heavy blasters. They even had air-support and a very large anti-ship Ion Cannon that was able to provide support against Star Destroyers in Space. The writer also seems to forget that the Rebels had an effective shield generator which was one of the main reasons the Imperials committed to a ground assault. Main failure of on Imperial side, aside from Ozzel, was that the AT-AT's lacked anti-aircraft defensive cannons(although some models do have them apparently) but they lacked for whatever reason close air support in Tie Fighters which TLJ fixed for the FO.

I think a lot of the problems for the OT was mainly budget and effects at the time of course. Although we know visibly the battle had to have been bigger on Hoth since AT-ST's are seen on the battlefield and the AT-AT did have support units in the new expanded universe stories.

Endor was interesting since the rebels and Ewoks used the forest to make up for heavy weapons and lack of firepower. But the Imperials in that movie were oddly very ineffective despite being the Emperor's best troops. Most of those traps were already built to take down big game by the Ewoks. The Ewoks just using their defensive traps against the Imperials since we know Endor has some really dangerous and titanic creatures such as the Gorax - which I believe the traps were made for in fact. The rebels were really really luck with the Ewoks, but I think the original Wookie idea may of been less campy like we saw in ROTS .

But a lot of the Ewoks died attempting to take down AT-ST's and some of their traps failed even like when they tried tripping it or the gliders dropping stones. The Empire also never really engaged the Ewoks with heavy vehicles like the Endor AT-AT's in which the Ewoks defensive fortification would not of mattered. Nor did the Empire use air support or flame throwers, their tactics seemed limited for the movie,lol. Stormtrooper armor always proved to be ineffective even from stone age weapons or debris .

Sarge likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @Vorax

Wow. OK. With the sheer number of issues you have with what you perceive as unrealistic combat actions in Star Wars, how are you still watching?

Also, have you ever tried ejecting from an aircraft that’s spinning around while plummeting to the ground? Didn’t think so. ;)

Plus, there’s literally nothing in the films or shows that indicate TIEs have ejection seats. That was simply a fan making a joke based on a toy they had...

Anyway, I wish you good fortune in the Star Wars to come.

11. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Waa-waa-WEE-waa.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Definitely mid-90s. Pretty sure it was part of the Power of the Force line. Very nostalgic for those days.

13. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Ah man, just googled Power Of The Force. Damn, that packaging brings back memories.

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    @Bor Mullet

I doubt you ever tried keeping your brain from spinning before you talk, but in any case yes Tie Fighters do have ejection seats .

The SOLO movie novel:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/LN_starfighter

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ejector_seat

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If I could be bothered, I could also dig up some old references that say TIE's were designed and built so cheaply that they have neither ejection seats nor life support systems. The consensus seems to be that there are many variants of the TIE fighter, some of them are base models with nothing but engines and guns, others are luxury models with ejection seats and all the bells and whistles.

Valheru_84 and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Star Wars Action Fleet or nothing!

I have spoken.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    OK. So again, do you think it’s a good idea to eject from an aircraft that’s spinning around wildly at high speed?

Sarge likes this.
  18. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm not even a pilot and know nothing about flying in general. Even I wouldn't hit the eject button lol.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

George back on set for season 2.

20. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    His new baby.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He’s totally Herzog-crying under that facade. George is in love!

22. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Aww, YoAdriiiaaaaan with Georgie-boy, that's sweet. Wonder if that's a Season 2 BTS thing, or from his previous visit?

As for the TIEs, ehh. Can't remember the toy having an ejector anyway, from memory it was more the wings popping off as a damage thing, "we're goin' doooowwwn!". Always kinda just assumed the Empire wouldn't give enough of a damn about their pilots to bother with that sort of thing anyway, seems the fighters are ultra-light armored for one anyway, sort of like the Japanese fighters in the Big One.

Producing en-masse as cheap as possible, cut some safety corners if you have to, would seem to be the Empire's bag.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Man, I've got the feels looking at the Maker holding baby Yoda. That will hold me over until TCW next month.

BookExogorth likes this.
  24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017

I believe "You are cowards. Leave it." was his response when someone told him they were thinking about doing a full CGI replacement in post.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    One of the funniest Star Wars set stories yet. I love it. Imagining Herzog berating people on a movie set for being cowards makes my year.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    BookExogorth likes this.