main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Lars Mikkelsen would be great, but I am still hoping for Benedict Cumberbatch

RetropME and HanTano like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    RDJ would be an awful Thrawn. Not at all right for the role. And as others have pointed out they already have a great actor to play him with Lars Mikkelsen. Thankfully it’s from We Got This Covered so it’s obviously completely bunk.

3. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I find it hard to believe these leakers once they get Patreon accounts where they have to churn out leaks on a regular basis to keep their revenue stream.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    As much as I think he’s a great actor, I’m honestly a bit tired of Hollywood’s penchant for casting Cumberbatch whenever a script says “cold, calculating, hyper-intelligent guy.” There are so many actors out there to choose from. And in this case, they already have Lars, who’s an accomplished screen actor and the existing voice of animated Thrawn. This is a Katee Sackhoff situation vs. an Ashley Exkstein one, I think.

RDJ as Thrawn sounds absolutely wrong in every way.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    RDJ has become one of those actors where I just see him, not the character he’s playing, outside of of Tropic Thunder.

I’m not saying it’s impossible that he couldn’t pull it off I just think there are much better options. Smarter options that wouldn’t distract the audience from what’s actually happening on screen.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sure. This RDJ rumor could be (if true) a Heath Ledger as Joker situation. Where nearly all fans said “whaaaat?” and then he turned out to be the best Joker by far.

But it seems odd when Lars Mikkelsen is already Thrawn.
    I agree on RDJ. But this rumor does not originate with We Got This Covered. It’s from Daniel Richtman.

Still won’t buy it until corroborated by other credible sources.

CISMestizo, RetropME and Zoe Con like this.
  7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't know, Giancarlo Esposito has also played very similar variations of Moff Gideon a few times before (Breaking Bad, The Boys, to name a couple) and yet I didn't see anyone complaining about him in that role in The Mandalorian. If Cumberbatch fits, why not? Plus, he fits the role extremely well visually. I am not saying he should get the role, but I also don't think he shouldn't get the role. I will probably be happy either way, if it's done well.

You are right about Katee Sackhoff and Ashley Eckstein. After following Ashley on instagram for a couple of years now and watching a few of her videos, I do not think she would have made a good Ahsoka Tano in live action, as much as I prefer her voice 100 times over Rosario's voice for Ahsoka. On the other hand, Sackhoff IS Bo Katan.

Mads Mikkelsen would also make a great Thrawn, but he is Galen Erso :p

I can see RDJ as Thrawn too. I think he's a great actor with range and he would have nailed it if really asked to give his everything to the role. But I would prefer any of the Mikkelsens or Cumberbatch for sure.

RetropME likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Cumberbatch is way, way more ubiquitous than Esposito. He's in every other big Hollywood movie, while Esposito has been in...one small Korean movie, I believe? No comparison. I also happen to like Esposito better as an actor, though that's beside the point.

I don't like the idea of RDJ as Thrawn, but would reserve judgment until I saw it, if it happened. Mostly based on the Heath Ledger phenomenon. Right now, it's Lars Mikkelsen or bust for me.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not sure if trolling...

RetropME and DarthFixxxer like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Lol. Didn’t come out quite right, and I’m not one to exaggerate for effect. I meant relative to Cumberbatch’s movie roles as a lead, Esposito’s has been light. I’m well aware of Esposito’s prolific TV acting career, and his film roles.

Doesn’t make sense for me to troll on the subject, as I love him as an actor, and much prefer him as a villain to Cumberbatch, who I find a tad one note.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018

I WOULD STILL WATCH

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    So off Thrawn and over to Din...

...I know we’ve got some debate about whether Din’s inferred agreement to join Bo in exchange for her help rescuing Grogu would mean he’d be subordinate to her. If he did... who here would be up for some subtle paint job or “tabard” changes to Din’s wardrobe to mark that allegiance? At least for a time?

Some of the Rebels and TCW Clan Kryze/Nite Owl looks were subtle in their use of blue compared to the Nite Owl suits that Woves and Reeves wear. You could give Din’s visor a highlight scheme, change out the cape for a different one, and add a few highlights and symbols here and there, and you’d have a “loyal Knight” look for Din as opposed to his current “Knight errant” look.

Lulu Mars and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I noticed an interesting parallel between "The Believer" and Solo. The train sequence in Solo is similar in set up to the transport fight in the episode. Mando/Han are fighting against rebels who they believe are pirates trying to gain/destroy fuel.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My favorite was “Robert Fett.”

Riv_Shiel and DarthFixxxer like this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I'd be surprised if Din's look didn't keep evolving with his identity and character growth. His pure beskar could be meaningful too, but I expect the design to change.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Good catch!

Oh, what I wouldn't give to see Enfys Nest again... Come on, Jon and Dave, gimme gimme gimme! [face_batting]

OMG, that's the best thing I've seen this year. I would, too! [face_love]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Right now, his unpainted pure Beskar kind of merges his earliest gunfighter aesthetic with a “Knight in shining armor” spin - ironic considering how he got the armor, but appropriate given his being literally “quested” to see to Grogu’s safety and salvation with the Jedi.

I’d say changing his cape, adding a few highlights, and maybe some rank and alignment signals could effectively communicate an alignment to Bo’s faction; I’d save a full paint job for when he begins his own faction.

Sarge and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
  19. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    Slightly, off topic, does anyone really see a time jump happening in Season 3? As much as I enjoyed the finale, it was kind of left with Mando revealing himself to the rest of the crew. We don't know their reaction is. Also, does Mando, after having such as emotional parting with Grogu, just turn and join Bo Katan right away to attain Mandalore? I just feel maybe continuing where they were (not necessarily at that precise moment), and then some time mid- season, there's a time jump. Or a couple episodes in to the season.

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I noticed that they actually seem to be going beyond the animated series in avoiding giving anyone else not named Din much exposed, unpainted Beskar; Bo’s chest plate is about the only other (possibly) unburnished Beskar in the show, while both Koska and Axe have fully painted armor and helmets unlike some of her followers in Rebels and the vast bulk in TCW... and the Death Watch in the flashback also had entirely painted armor, unlike in TCW.

In particular, this dude’s Beskar has something more akin to the type of paint job I could see Din wearing in Season 3, albeit on the modified armor style they used in Rebels:
    https://star-wars-canon.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Kryze_warrior?file=WRENWARRIOR.png

I think they may be deliberately avoiding many other unpainted plates of Beskar to make Din stick out more.
    We talked about this a few pages back, and I think we mostly agreed it depended on what direction they were taking the character in, and how they want to hook the audience.

One line of thought is a minimal, almost non-existent time skip brief enough that we still see the moment where Din either accepts Bo’s offer to join her, or turns her down, with an episode or two dealing with him dealing with having lost his main overriding purpose for the past two seasons before getting his new deal.

The other is a slightly longer time skip, where the point would be to drop the audience in at his new status quo for a bit before explaining it - for instance, if the idea was “Din goes back to bounty hunting, but is disinterested in his work”, you could actually have him reintroduced in The Book of Boba Fett in a cameo grumpily collecting on a bounty Boba puts on someone, or if it’s “Din is Bo’s official champion trying to help her unite the tribes with varying levels of enthusiasm on his part”, you could start Seaosn 3 with him walking out of a tunnel to duel another clan’s champion.

It really depends on what Favreau feels like doing.

Zoe Con and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    Agreed. I like the minimal time skip with Din dealing with the loss and then deciding to join Bo Katan or the second option. I love the idea of Din showing up as a surprise cameo in Boba Fett to help him out in some way. Will be interesting if Din starts out with the helmet off since his Creed says once he does, he can't put it back on. Wonder what he'll decide. These options sound good. Again, as you said, it will be interesting where Favreau takes it.
    Sorry, didn't notice you had discussed it before.
    Gotta go back to adulting. Virtual teaching can be a joy, but also a challenge. Everyone keep safe.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    cwustudent likes this.
  22. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    A major concern I have for Mando going forward is can the series stand without throwbacks to staples from the Saga? Lets be honest Grogu or Babyoda drew on are already strong ties to Yoda and made a cuter version of the Little Green Friend; likewise the Season 2 Finale gave us the Luke Skywalker of our dreams. In both cases Din, and the rest of cast are not the highlight or focus of the excitement and fandom. I worry without ties to familiar faces and imagery from the OT and PT, Mando will find his show explode like the Razor Crest.

Feeling pessimistic, please pardon me.

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Since we’re highly likely to have familiar faces from TCW/Rebels in Bo-Katan and other Mandos, still probably have some sporadic appearances of Fett, and have successfully exploded the show through two hit seasons... I don’t see some exodus of the mainstream fans away from the show come season 3, and I feel we know hardcore fans are on board because it’s a Mandalorian and tied to a bunch of spin-offs that have people’s attention, I don’t think it’s going to die off.

To me, it’s next question is how quickly they can actualized Din so that his story with Grogu successfully maintains audience interest. People are invested in him; if they follow up on that like the investments people have had in Ahsoka, Sabine, Kanan, and others once they started transitioning away from their intial set-up, they’re good. They’re only bad if F&F somehow pull off a Rian Johnson and start undercutting Din like he did Rey and Finn.