main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think there’s not even one thing in Firefly that’s even close to as good as anything in the Mandalorian.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    *kicks Bor Mullet into an engine*

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It's not a direct comparison, but it is an interesting query: Firefly's very premise was centered around an ensemble storytelling style, while The Mandalorian hasn't done that.

I'm interested in whether or not we might see Season 3 act more like an ensemble; if Bo-Katan and others make continuous recurring appearances, that might do it.

RetropME likes this.
  6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Recently finished watching Mando season 2.
    I liked it, but I'm hoping the other SW series end up having a bit more substance than Mando does. It always feels like there's not much there in terms of character development or plot, especially compared to other shows on television these days. And that's fine for what it is. It's clearly not trying to be the next Better Call Saul or Ozark or whatever. But it would just be a bit disappointing for me if all the new SW series follow this same bare-bones approach to story telling. I'd like to see some of the shows dig a little deeper into the characters, and have a bit more plot complexity. To me, that's one advantage television has over films, in that it allows for more development.

On the other hand, I know the bare-bones style is partly what makes Mando appealing for some people. My brother, for example, admits that he has a terrible attention span when it comes to television and so he likes the fact that every time he watches Mando, he knows it's essentially going to be the same basic premise with all the characters having the same motivations, and he doesn't have to remember what happened two or three episodes ago to understand what's happening now.
    But that's why it would be good to vary it with the different shows, appealing to different types of audiences.

Riv_Shiel and Whistling Birb like this.
  7. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Ozark has too many convenient plot points. It’s no Breaking Bad or high art tv. Just sayin. It’s an okay show but it ain’t anything special in my opinion.

RetropME likes this.
  8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's purely a homage to ANH, just one up on being labelled a knock off [face_laugh]

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    You're very likely to get that plot complexity in Andor, as it's a spy thriller and you can't do a spy thriller without plot complexity. I think each of the shows will have very different flavors.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  10. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    Quick question that is slightly off topic: Does anyone know the timeline for the Great Purge? Did it happen around Order 66 or not? Also, roughly how old is Din? Obviously around 10 years older than Luke. Just trying to piece something together, and need someone hear who would know the lore better than me.

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    There’s about a 17 year difference, at minimum, between Order 66 and the Great Purge, and likely at least a little more. Bo-Katan gets the darksaber from Sabine Wren in Rebels Season 4, so the Great Purge hasn’t happened by that point at least.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  12. Zoe Con

Jun 5, 2020

Thanks for the information. Guess I need to watch Rebels and Clone Wars (yes, I haven't yet!)

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    As a close friend of Jon Favreau, how has Vince Vaughn not yet shown up in this series?

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet, RetropME and Sarge like this.
  15. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It’s late and I’m exhausted so here’s a random jumble of thoughts.

I really feel like 2021 is going to drag while we impatiently wait for 2022. I feel a little jealous of our Marvel friends who get quite a few interesting shows in WandaVision, Loki and Falcon/Winter Soldier while we have to wait a full year to start our rolling coverage of TBOBF, Mando season 3, Andor and Kenobi.

We’re not expecting Ahsoka to shoot this year and release next are we? Andor, Mando, Kenobi and Boba will realistically have wrapped production by middle of this year so some stuff could shoot in the back half.

Highly unlikely but Depending on what order they’re writing things it’s remotely possible they could shoot Mando season 4 towards the end of this year ( or early next) before season 3 even airs.

Either way I wish we didn’t have to wait for December for new live action. Probably won’t get a trailer until end of October/early November.

Riv_Shiel and Grey Matter like this.
  16. Zoe Con

Jun 5, 2020
    Hope the latest rumour that production on Mando 3 isn't happening until August, isn't true. Think I"m going to stick with what Favreau said that they would go into production on Mando after they finished filming Boba Fett, which I'm looking forward to.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I feel the Boba Fett’s show undermines Mando. I prefer that Din is a new character, not an established one. Boba is cool and all, but I’d have preferred a Jango mini-series with Jaster Mereel.

Jedi Knight Fett and Zoe Con like this.
  18. Zoe Con

Jun 5, 2020
    I know Favreau has always loved Boba. But there could be another reason why time wise that Boba is happening first, then Mando 3. Hopefully, Book of Boba will enhance the Mandalorian story. It's too early to tell. I , too, love the fact that Din is an original character, and they will have the opportunity to really look into his backstory (I still wonder about the red robes in the flashback), how he deals with Grogu not being there, and his views on Mandalorian culture.

Also, they are trying to promote new stories and the fact there will be characters crossing over into other shows. It's called getting more subscriptions to Disney Plus over long, consistent period of time versus people unsubscribing after Mando which did happen. We will just have wait and see.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Kato Sai likes this.
  19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    What would be funny is if Grogu becomes a Jedi and then becomes a foundling.

Din: Uh his helm is going to need holes for the ears.

[​IMG]

20. Zoe Con

Jun 5, 2020
    Ok, this picture just too darn cute. lol. Just missing the pendant.
    He could very well become a Mandalorian, but don't see him taking on the armour.

RetropME and Kato Sai like this.
  21. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Good things come to those who wait...

Zoe Con likes this.
  22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, it seems like the Purge is a sidelight of the Galactic Civil War, or just before it. With that period already filled in by a lot of stuff (particularly the various Marvel series in the OT timeframe) created before the Purge was introduced in The Mandalorian, it's maybe a little awkward that it isn't mentioned in any of those sources. Not impossible, of course, but the rebel command structure in those sources is usually portrayed as being pretty clued in to what's up in the galaxy. That said, the Marvel series are ongoing so they *could* jam some references in between ESB and ROTJ yet (I think that's where the main series, Vader, Aphra and Bounty Hunters are set currently).

Zoe Con likes this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The Mandos could have acted as a kind of “abject lesson” in the competence of the conventional Imperial military pre-Scarif and Yavin - Rebel leadership is jumpy in Rogue One for many reasons, but if the Mandos rose up in open rebellion and got summarily crushed, that could be a heavy contributor.

As for why it wouldn’t be that big of a talking point in spite of who the Mandos are... maybe Bo-Katan tried rebelling without Alliance support (possibly to try and avoid another Siege* of Mandalore situation) and thus the Rebels themselves didn’t really lose resources in the fight.

There’s a part of me, though, that hopes that armorless civilians and refugees were tucked away and given sanctuary by the Rebellion, possibly as an operation by Sabine and the Ghosts, so that she had something to do besides watch over Lothal... and possibly to get the Protectors (if they still exist) to have a reason to maybe favor the Alliance/Republic over Bo-Katan.

*PS, It occurs to me we now have 2 different stories from different Mandalorian-affiliated series where a “siege” is nothing like what the word describes. The Siege of Mandalore was simply storming the capital, and The Siege was also infiltrating than escaping one of Gideon’s outposts. [face_laugh]

Zoe Con and Sarge like this.
  24. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Yes I always thought "siege" implied a lot more than we've been shown. Maybe it's just something different than "battle of...", or maybe "siege" could refer to a number of battles over time that collectively become known as "the siege". Or maybe it's a reference to the siege on Mandalorian ideals. But I feel like this is all giving a get out of jail free card to the writers. Or me just being pedantic about the word. :)

Sarge, Zoe Con and godisawesome like this.
  25. Zoe Con

Jun 5, 2020
    Ok, gotta head back to work to meet some deadlines. What do I watch first: Clone Wars (I guess) and then Rebels? Yep, silly question. My brain cells are fried will tall my screen time. lol

DannyD likes this.