main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I agree. Plus Boba is a really popular character like Din. And the stories will most likely tie into one another.

TadoFett and Zoe Con like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    This shot....holy Jesus, that's awesome.
    [​IMG]

4. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Word up man. Future is bright!

5. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Along with practically everything he says in the show.
    "Power up those shields, princess. I'll put on a good show."
    It's like, he only talks when he has something important to say, or if he has a one-liner he needs to get out.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Basically, only speak if you have something to say with substantial information or substantial badassery.

7. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    For me, The Book Of Boba, whilst obviously be about Boba Fett, will feature the part of Din that tries to return to his "old life" before he met Grogu. For me, that is how Din's story will tie into Boba's and set up Din's story and characterisation leading into the 3rd Season of The Mandalorian.

Favreau and Filoni have this brilliant ability to weave satisfying and memorable character arcs and journeys through another character's journey whilst keeping the story focused on the main character. The Boba Fett TV show will mainly be about Boba Fett - but because Din and Boba are both Bounty Hunters and Boba has assumed a more king pin role in Jabba's Palace, Din, I believe will receive his "bounty" targets now from Boba Fett; rather than from Greef.

So for me, Din's role in The Book Of Boba will focus on him trying to return to Bounty Hunter life, but there will be a distinct change in how he operates as a Bounty Hunter; which will in turn lead into the conflicted mind he will grapple with in Season 3.

Because where he was cold and clear cut before as a Bounty Hunter, his experiences and bonding and attachments to Grogu, for me, will create a continuing sense of doubt in his Bounty Hunter work. Some cases, involving the really evil, will still be clear cut. But if he is hunting someone where the circumstances are more vague, I can see indecision creeping in as to whether to take the bounty in.

So I feel Din's role in The Book Of Boba is a "bridging role" to where his characterisation goes in Season 3.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Zoe Con likes this.
  8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I love it.

Bor Mullet and Cyber Spark like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Given the way Mando S2 ended, with Din technically having claim to Mandalore, I somehow don’t think his next step in life is to return to bounty hunting... But we’ll see.

dick rodgers, Zoe Con and Sarge like this.
  10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't think he does.
    I might need to re-watch the exposition dumps in Trials of the Darksaber and The Rescue, but as I remember it, the darksaber doesn't automatically grant someone the Mandalorian throne, but the Mandalorian people are more likely to unite and follow a leader who wields it. But I doubt all it takes is some random guy showing up with it and declaring himself Mandalore.

12. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    He might go back briefly, but realize it doesn't bring any meaning to him.

Generational Fan and Sarge like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. That’s why I say “technically.” But looking at things from a narrative perspective, I don’t think Favreau leaves Din helmetless and with the darksaber just to have him return to bounty hunting. The next stage of the story is about Mandalore, I think.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  14. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    These are my thoughts exactly. The return to Bounty Hunting will brief and purely confined to his cameo in The Book Of Boba. But his experience with Grogu has changed him and that life will no longer hold meaning.

Then as @Bor Mullet said, his character then goes deeper into what it means to be Mandalorian and everything concerning the Darksaber and ruling Mandalore, etc.

Thats what my head Canon is telling me at this stage. The first part of the new journey is to provide the contrast from before to now.

Bor Mullet, Zoe Con and TadoFett like this.
  15. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    That all sounds plausible to me.

Bor Mullet and Generational Fan like this.
  16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Does this mean that Dave Filoni is going to be at the Golden Globes?!!

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd just like to see the HFPA's reaction to him coming on stage with his cowboy hat, lol.

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The way I see it...

It's less Excalibur as the Sword in the Stone, a funky royal birth certificate that's largely a ceremonial marker of the "true king," and more like Excalibur as the more primordial Caledfwlch, a dangerous signature weapon of a warlord that slays giants and witches upon its blade.

...It bears recognition that King Arthur's earliest form in British legends isn't as a King, but instead as a "Duke of Battles" nicknamed the "Red Ravager of Britain," with the general implication being he was more of a warlord selected by an alliance of kings and princes to oppose the filthy Saxon sea-dogs.* That's quite a bit more similar to the idea the Darksaber marks the greatest warrior idea than anything else.

Which is why I really, really want to see them make a recurring thing about Din having to prove his ownership by defeating challengers.

*Yes, I know King Arthur is sometimes considered an English king. But I'm Welsh and English descended, so I don't have to be polite about the older legends.

TadoFett, Zoe Con and Sarge like this.
  19. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    You know it.

TadoFett likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Is there an in-person Golden Globes this year? If so...there shouldn’t be.

Zoe Con and dick rodgers like this.
  21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Then again, the Mandalorians literally followed blindly Darth Maul, a real piece of work, as soon as he bested Gar Saxon and got the Darksaber.
    If anything, they should find it far easier and more sensible to follow a true Mandalorian when he shows up with the Darksaber.

22. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    To be fair, that was the Death Watch we're talking about and the Mandalorians are all scattered at this point and probably pretty disorganized; it probably will be a lot harder to reestablish the Mandalorians moving forward.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Enter "the Story," as Gideon stated.

The story of Maul, an outsider and Force User defeating Pre Viszla in a personal duel can speak of either a triumph of the greater warrior in honorable combat or a hostile take-over by someone who later proved themselves unworthy of leadership when Maul abandoned his men mid-battle during the siege of Mandalore? Makes sense as a divisive story.

Sabine Wren, a disgraced exile who created weapons that preyed on the Mandalorian identity or an atoning champion of the wider Galaxy, who retrieves the darksaber from Maul, then outduels the collaborator Saxon in a duel, but refuses to finish him off the Mandalorian way and give sit away? Makes sense as a divisive story.

Bo-Katan, a fierce warrior who nevertheless only received the darksaber as a gift, then failed to liberate her people in open rebellion? Only going to motivate people if she fights her way back to the top.

Which begs the question... how will Din's story go? He's already got a decent start to it: taking the darksaber in righteous combat while seeking to reunite with his adopted clan member and fulfil his quest. Now the question will become whether this champion will hold it against any challengers...

rumblewagon and DarthFixxxer like this.
  25. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    Hopefully, they will figure it out and do it virtually.