main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Say, while we're in the business of digitally de-aging characters who were around in the OT era, here's a candidate:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    They already rebooted the OT with the ST.

But honestly, I don't see them doing that. What would be the purpose? That's going to make a ton of people happy?

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    At the root of it...money. There is entirely too much money to be made by doing that, and they won't miss out on it.

Plus, like what happens to all great franchises, it's just bound to happen. Original Star Wars is not some untouchable property, no matter how much we as die hard fans consider it to be.

Not only that, but it will be a sure fire way of keeping Star Wars as the center of the media landscape at any time they decide to pull the trigger on it. Right now they're still riding this era that was ushered in by the ST. Up next is the Disney+ era. Who knows what will come after that. But eventually interest will fade with the general audience. And a guaranteed way to bring them all back would be to re-boot the OT, and just for good measure the PT as well. Just think of the media attention that would get when that announcement is made and will continue all throughout the time it's being released. Which will be a new era in itself and would keep Star Wars relevant for a decade on its own.

I don't think it's going to happen in the foreseeable future. But I do think it is going to happen.

4. Darth_Dave_1984

Darth_Dave_1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    Why did Michael Biehn smile before going for his blaster. I cracked up at that. He probably could have hit Mando (and still fail because of the beskar) if he just went for it, but he gave the game away. John Conners dad got blown away I'm still laughing.

TadoFett likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I both agree and disagree with you. I think season 1 is a lot tighter as its own thing. It just works, from beginning to end, as one story (with a few side-adventures). Season 2 is more "adventure of the week", and the episodes stand out from each other more than the first season. So as a complete marathon experience, I prefer season 1.
    However, the individual episodes in season 2 are, IMO, generally stronger than in season 1.

So eh, I guess I just really love The Mandalorian. Both seasons. :p

6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I really feel that Season 2 flows much better as one story over season 1. Every episode feels connected to getting Grogu to a jedi whereas the middle patch of season one it feels somewhat disconnected from episodes 1-3 and 7-8. I still really enjoy those episodes and they help play into future payoff either with building connections to other characters or foreshadowing.

It’s going to be odd going into season 3 and not have Grogu be the driving factor. Will Din attempt to return to the simple life or will he definitely be pulled into the political orbit pertaining to the future of Mandalore.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I actually think The Mandalorian season 2 has a slightly more connected feeling, but only slightly. It's a weirdly constructed show in that most of the episodes feel like they should be filler, but if you remove any of them the Jenga tower just collapses completely. Every moment matters, even when it feels like it doesn't. I fully agree that the individual episode in season 2 are, on the whole, stronger than the first season.

Haha yeah man, we wouldn't want those woke SJW snowflakes to ruin Star Wars and emasculate Han by flipping who says the thing! Haha, wait...

[​IMG]

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I wasn't referring to that scene. You probably knew that though.

9. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I think it's best if we move on from this conversation to something else if it's going to turn into an argument ya'll.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    TadoFett, Riv_Shiel, RetropME and 3 others like this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I think what makes season 2 feel less connected for me in a way is that the individual episodes have such distinct identities - moreso than in the first season. The Jedi and the The Tragedy are so different that it's almost as if they were from two different shows.

11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Mandalorian's more individualized, episodic structure is honestly one of the most appealing things about it to me (and why I'm kind of worried about the whole idea of a big "crossover arc" with the offshoot shows that are coming). I've been really enjoying the show in its bite-sized chunks for two seasons where, yeah, there's absolutely an overarching story, but the individual episode's narrative typically takes the forefront each week. Most of the television that I watch highlights overarching narratives that take the forefront over individual episodes, so The Mandalorian serves a refreshing, episodic counterpoint harkening back to an older style of television that kind of separates it from so many of the other shows I watch and love; I hope it doesn't lose that identity as it moves forward.

godisawesome and Zoe Con like this.
  12. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    I think the question of what defines Din as a Mandalorian and potential leader of Mandalore will come into play. I do really belief Grogu will always be in back of his ind and will come into play now in his decision making. I don't see Grogu appearing a lot, but at a certain moment or two that is narratively important and related to Din's character arc.

13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree with this, except for episodes 2, 3, 7 and 8 of season 1, which are the best of the individual episodes IMO. Followed by episodes 5, 7 and 8 of season 2.

Zoe Con likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That was a great video. Always interesting to hear how they pulled certain scenes off, and Favreau's passion when he talks about this show is contagious.
    But the best part was when they (probably accidentally) used a BTS shot from The Holiday Special at the end. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Jaster Vhett

Jaster Vhett Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2017
  17. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    With all due respect to the opines above about the 'rewatchability' of Season 1, Season 2 raised the series to a whole new level of awesomeness.

One could make a strong argument that Season 2 of the Mandalorian is The Best Star Wars we've ever seen on film or TV.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    DarthKreVass likes this.
  18. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    I agree and it's proof for as loud as the small group of people are about how "it's a small universe", clearly the majority enjoy every bit of the fan service. So that whole fan service being bad argument shouldn't even be a topic. There's clearly a fine line and Filoni and Favreau have proven they know how to walk it.

And that's coming from someone who really wanted to see live-action Sabine with Ahsoka. But looking back, I'm glad they held off for now.

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    I agree with you, Verbal21! =D=

Franky, I've never understood what the heck is so doggone horrible about...gasp!....FAN SERVICE...in the first place. Why in the world WOULDN'T Favreau and Filoni want to ratchet up the excitement among its growing fan base with surprise appearances by long-time favorites, Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, Boba Fett, and Luke Skywalker?

The only possible reason I could see for criticizing such moves would be because the appearance of a fan favorite appears forced and doesn't make any sense to the story that's being told. If the guest appearances all ring true, as was the case with Season 2 IMHO, the showrunners have only increased peoples' excitement and enthusiasm over the show.

If I'm missing something here, I'd love to hear it.

Verbal21 likes this.
  20. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    There isn't anything wrong with fan service. Regardless of what character it is, if the story calls for a fan service moment and it fits, I say use it.

21. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Definitely better than what we saw in the ST. I don't hate the ST, just wasn't (too me) up there with the first 6 installments. The Mandalorian is awesome SW.

Crod1992 likes this.
  22. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    Don't want to whine about the ST in a Mandalorian forum, but it truly boggles my mind that an enterprise worth over four billion dollars would develop the first film in a sequel trilogy without a firm handle on how the story would play out over the next two movies.

Regarding the PT, the difference between them and The Mandalorian -- at least for most of us old OT fans -- is that Jon Favreau brought it back to its American Western/Samurai roots.

Crod1992 likes this.
  23. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Funny how when JF and DF do Star Wars, it seems to mirror the movies. But the ST seems like they just copied from the other movies. I can't explain it. They didn't resonate with me like TCW (wonderful last season), Mandalorian, R1. Can't put my finger on it, but when I first saw The Mandalorian's first episode, I immediately said.. "Now that's Star Wars!".

24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Ironically, I agree with you in the result, but from the opposite POV: to me, the way it handles the season long arc if it’s secret weapon... which basically means the show is perfectly balancing both season arcs and episode arcs, and hitting the sweet spot!

I think every show aspires for that kind of balance, but most fail at one or the other, creating either boring “breather” episodes when they try to create separate stand alone episodes, or boring and unbalanced season long arcs that don’t get paced correctly because the show isn’t built for that.

One of the advantages of The Mandalorian has been that its premise allows for him to encounter a new conflict tied to his season conflict every episode, but without it feeling wholly manufactured. Yes, the “favor”-based system is a bit funky and predictable, but at least he’s seeking out new areas and conflict, instead of having idiots seek him out because they can’t read the space newspaper that it’s a bad idea.

...Well, that was the case. With the darksaber... there’s a chance Mandos show up to randomly challenge him as well as whatever conflict he’s going to run into.

Zoe Con and Darth Derringer like this.
  25. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    What I've found really cool about The Mandalorian's production (as we learned in Disney's 'making of' videos) is that the scripts (with their built-in 8-episode story arc) are set up well ahead of shooting. With scripts set, Favreau and Filoni then pick the team of eight directors who will work with them and the production teams to flesh out each individual episode.

As godisawesome highlighted, it gives the season a tight, overarching story arc while also allowing each episode to have its own unique style and flavor based on its director.