main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus even if you don’t like it it sets a bad example to remake it

2. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    Agreed #HanFiredFirst

3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's not what a remake is...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Greedo said Mclunky

5. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    The term, remaking, can mean a bunch of things, particularly when GL 'remade' the OT films. The discussion I was responding to specifically talked about 'cleaning up CG' from previous PT SW movies.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think movies should be touched at all. But the OT was. Nothing we can really do about it now

Darth Derringer likes this.
  7. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    The best illustration of Jon Favreau's "balancing act" is with Episodes 5 (Chap 13), Episode 6 (Chap 14), and Episode 7 (Chap 15) of Season Two. All three episodes serve to advance the story arc leading up to the season's grand finale. While they are all great, they are all three dramatically different due to the sensitivities of the three directors involved: Filoni, Rodriguez, and Famuyiwa.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Sure. I can also make a strong argument like that for season 1...

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I haven’t rewatched season 1 or two. So I can’t really say. I just know like most things I like the first season better

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    Stuff like this is subjective so you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But you're the first person I've ever heard who liked Season 1 better than Season 2.

FYI, 27,000 subscribers to IMDB gave Season 1 an average rating of 8.5 with three episodes over 9. Season 2's average rating was 8.9 with four episodes over 9 -- including the season finale with a rating of 9.8.

Jedi Knight Fett and TadoFett like this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Oh, I certainly saw plenty of stuff here on these boards and in this thread to the tune of "well, after a great Season 1 they're ruining it now with all the [fill in the blank]".

And of course a lot of what people love about Season 2 rests heavily on what the loved about Season 1.

I don't personally have a favorite between the two seasons... I like them pretty much equally. What I can say unequivocally is that Season 1 is a rare beast in that I loved it, and felt like it knew what it was doing, right from the start, and that's incredibly unusual for a first season of anything. That made it really special and the memory of how it unfolded is pretty indelible for me (and my kids).

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Saw this video about Stormtroopers and specifically Stormtroopers in the Mandalorian. Might be of interest

13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    ...as I was saying...

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Huh? There are a bunch of people in this very thread who share that opinion. It’s a classic, and it’s the season that started a phenomenon. Plus, it has episode 2, 3, 7 and 8 which I think are some of the most imaginative and beautifully simple Star Wars stories ever told. The flashback of IG-11’s resuscitation, and the almost religion-founding perfection of chapter 2, are by themselves worth more than entire seasons of other shows.

And IMDB user scores aren’t exactly the height of science when it comes to survey research methods. Plus, seasons 1 and 2 are very close there. Almost within the margin of error.

I love season 2. Filoni’s and Famuyiwa’s chapters are masterpieces. Howard’s is excellent. And I love Reed’s conclusion. But I love season 1 more. I found it tighter, more beautiful on a cinematographic level (no B-movie aesthetics like Rodriguez’s), more restrained (in a good way), more emotionally involving, weirder (again, in a good way), and more charming. There were some blockbuster aesthetics in some episodes of season 2 that brought the charm level down a little, that’s all.

But there’s no real conflict here. I adore both seasons. One just edges out the other. And I’m not bothered that you like season 2 better. That’s great! ;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  15. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    Okie dokie.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My feeling is actually that the absence of Deborah Chow, and only one instead of two episodes by Rick Famuyiwa, is in part why Season 1 seemed to be better directed. IMO.

17. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    I certainly respect both of those directors. In fact, I can't really point to a poorly directed episode in either season. I wasn't wild about Bryce Dallas Howard's 'The Sanctuary' episode in the first season but loved the job she did the second time around in 'The Heiress.'

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I'm excited for how each director improves each season and show, I would love more or Dr mandible. episode 6 looked little poor as it looked like fan film, Rodrigez might get his better episodes in Boba Fett, I idn't like Filoni's epside in season 1 but loved his season 2. Same with Bryce.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    Any word as to what directors will be back in Season 3? Should be interesting.

20. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    I tried to learn who the directors were going to be prior to the start of Season 2 with no luck. (Although I do recall there was a rumor ahead of time that Filoni was going to direct Chapter 13.) I suspect the same will be true this coming season. For some reason, JF keeps information on his directing team under wraps.

Jedi Knight Fett and Zoe Con like this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the ones returning for season 3 are Faveru, Filoni, Bryce, Famuyiwa.

Zoe Con and Darth Derringer like this.
  22. Darth Derringer

May 9, 1999
    I have long suspected that being tabbed as a director for The Mandalorian went far beyond working with Favreau and Feloni for an episode or two. When you have MAJOR film directors on the Mandalorian payroll, it's because there has been an understanding from the get-go that it was a 'Star Wars Boot Camp' of sorts.

After tutelage under Favreau and Filoni, directors like Debra Chow and Taika Waititi would THEN be ready to go off on their own. As more Star Wars TV shows go into production, look for others like Bryce Dallas Howard and Rick Famuyiwa to spread their wings too.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    As long as Famuyiwa gets two or more episodes this time, I’ll be happy.

Zoe Con and Darth Derringer like this.
  24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Saw this video review of the Mandalorian that's not been posted before

Darth Derringer likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Whats with Youtubers and the eyes in thumbnail, also when people say the worst tv of all time i know not to take them seriously.