main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It does. Mace Windu is going too far in the scene and is about to kill an unarmed prisoner. Exactly the same situation Anakin was in when he killed Dooku. So it can be argued that disarming (no pun intended haha!) Windu was the correct thing to do. However, standing back and allowing Palpatine to then murder him is the line that Anakin crossed that he can’t go back on.

2. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Mace was already jumping out the window before being zapped, he wanted to exit stage left. Seriously, watch the scene again and you will never be able to unsee Mace already jumping before Palps went all tingly fingers.

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    @Darth Chiznuk

well, we can quibble about whether Windu is going to far or not in the scene, I would say Windu is probably going to far, though I don’t see Palptine as an unarmed prisoner there either

but, end of the day Anakin chooses the dark side, regardless of Windu’s decisions and actions and regardless of whether Windu dies or not

Windu is not responsible for Anakin’s decision to turn to the dark side, that’s why I don’t think it would undermine the scene if he were to survive

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Even if Mace Windu died, his legacy linage of padawans survided in Ezra Bridger. And all are characters of diversety. Ezra could take Mace's place and seat at the jedi council.

5. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Let's be honest, post-OT this isn't a hugely competitive position to gain.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I was thinking more post ST when Ezra is wise and old. And when the jedi can be rebuild and take back jedi temple at Corucant. And be same age as Mace Windu was before he died.

7. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think he should be dead by the time Luke starts the academy. There is no way Windu would ever let a Skywalker become a Jedi Master. He would tell Yoda to take a seat before that happened.

Mostly Handless and Sproj like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Mace windu will be dead by the OT yes but early post ROTS could work. And about Mace and Luke i could see work, they would argue and come to conflict but eventually agree on somethings. He had more healthy relationship with Anakin in the clone wars.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would agree. Palpatine is clearly feigning defeat in order to push Anakin to make a decision but the important thing is Mace Windu doesn’t know that. He thinks he has him beaten and is about to deliver a killing blow anyway. That’s not the Jedi way.

Of course. I’m not absolving Anakin of his responsibility. It is 100% his decision to turn to the dark side. But that doesn’t change the fact that Windu is also making the wrong choice in this scene too. These things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Again I didn’t say he was. But his death is the nail in the coffin. The point of no return for Anakin. Him actually being alive this whole time undermines that IMO.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    That's fair. I was thinking in terms of realism - both Maul and Ahsoka stretch believability past its breaking point but Mace surviving doesn't imo - but I can see how Mace's death is more thematically important to the story of the Saga films.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    While Force users can use the Force to stop themselves from falling from fantastic heights, and they appear able to survive catastrophe falls even take some impact, just watch TPM or TROS. And watch them survive falls from that generator room levels which wouldve killed or severely crippled ordinary human beings,lol. But the fact is Mace got fried by Sidious' lightning, which is very very deadly stuff, which targeted and struck his skull/brain, then got Force pushed miles away and miles down to his death. The force of that Force Push would also be enough to break his body. Thats not even including the fact that Anakin cut off his lower arm. Mace also stopped screaming before his limp body was tossed out the window.

Both electric shocks and Force Lightning can cripple a Jedi whether in the EU or modern Neo-Canon. So applying this to Mace, he would be crippled & not responsive to the Force to aid him in his fall.

There is a fictional world of difference between what happened to Mace and Maul. What many fail to grasp is that Maul was alive when he fell down the shaft, and he used the Dark Side to keep his spirit intact - which is not unlike the Sidious that kept his spirit intact as well.

"My hatred kept my spirit intact even though my body was not." - Darth Maul

" I used your training, Master..." - Darth Maul

There is also documented real people surviving being cut in half so its not that outlandish or outside of realism. Besides even the Dark Jedi Maw survived the exact same injury as Maul in Jedi Knight II just like 2 years before TPM came out so it was not like something fans never saw in Star Wars fiction which is fantasy anyhow. On top of that Maul was brought back a few times in the EU before TCW.

That all said, being that clones and strand cast clones are a thing in neo-canon, and Force ghosts are kind a dime a dozen again so pretty much anyone can be brought back. Even Sith Lords have ways of coming back from dead.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  12. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Luke received the full power of dark side lightning for a considerably longer period of time than Mace and literally stood straight back up all good.

13. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Luke was badly hurt(and source material has Luke describe the effects of it), and Sidious has various levels of intensity. His lightning fatally injured Vader just moments after and caused him to die.

14. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    "And now...you die"
    [​IMG]

Hiyo!
    [​IMG]

Remember, Vader 'was more machine than man now' - so his mechanics likely caught on fire from the lightning.

It did open the top of his shirt thingy though:
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The greatness of Maul surviving was that Sidious goes on and on to his potential apprentice Anakin Skywalker that Plagueis learned the secret to using the Force to keep himself from dying... but it didn't save him from his own apprentice killing him in his sleep.

Meanwhile, at that very minute at the bottom of a random tube in the floor on Naboo... the guy cast aside as nothing but a blunt instrument who served his purpose was using the Dark Side to keep himself from dying.

Maul is who Anakin needed to consulting for health tips about Padme.

16. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Whoah. The true power of the darkside.

We've definitely not seen the galactic health tips in this series so for. A "Goop" Far, Far Away by friendly DM (MD).

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

This Will not just be about Mandalorian but also its spin offs and its future.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It has been clearly mentioned in the RotJ novel that Luke was using the Force to deflect Sidiou's Force lightning, and obviously that bought Luke a little more time to survive.

While Windu's hand just sliced off by Anakin, and he was in no position to deflect or protect himself from Sidious's Force lightning, so it's not the same, not even close.

I am not sure about that, surely Windu thought that he had the upper hand against Sidious in that moment, but he knew how difficult was to deflect Sidious's Force lightning and I don't think he believed he definitely subdued Sidious right there as if put him into the chains. He already told Sidious it's over after disarming him, then Sidious refused to surrender, and attacked Windu with Force lightning. Windu was visibly in pain and screaming because of the pain that Sidious caused him due to Force lightning attack. In another time, perhaps Windu couldn't deflect Sidious's Force lightning if Sidious tries the same again. The RotS Novel even said deflecting Sidious's Force lightning was harder than dueling with Sidious and Windu's lightsaber almost bend backwards because of the impact of the lightning. I don't think Windu believed he completely subdued Sidious, Sidious was still a big threat physically, not only due to his influence in the senate and the courts.

We've seen what Mandalorians used to subdue Maul:

[​IMG]

This is a special device that Mandalorians invented to subdue Force users, because it's incredibly difficult to imprison them, let alone Sith lords such as Maul, and let alone Sidious, who is the strongest Sith lord in the Star Wars history.

Since Windu didn't have any access to a special device like this, how Windu was going to subdue Sidious? That looks like an impossible mission to me.

To think that Windu even gave Sidious a chance to surrender at the beginning was even too risky, then Sidious even attacked Windu with Force lightning after getting disarmed in the duel, and made it clear to Windu that Sidious is not yielding and constantly lying, trying to manipulate etc. I don't think Windu could choose to arrest Sidious at that point.

I agree with this.

Also, if the story is right they could use Windu, but what's the purpose? Some people are saying that bringing Maul was fan service, but Filoni thinks Lucas felt that he didn't use Maul enough and removed him from the story too early, which is why he told them to bring Maul back. Did they use Windu enough in the PT or not? I think that's the question. Do we need to see more of Windu? What are the missing pieces about Windu? And what Windu is going to do during the dark times if he returns? He will be clearly a much more insignificant character than he was before.

While Maul lost his position as a Sith lord when he returned during the Clone Wars, he still had a Sith apprentice such as Savage Opress, and Nightsister Talzin, and Crime Syndicates at his side to help him, and during the dark times he could control the Crime Syndicates such as Crimson Dawn because the Crime Syndicates become more powerful after the fall of the Jedi and the Republic, and since Maul knew the dark side secrets (such as Malachor Battle Station) to create chaos it's interesting to see what Maul can do during the dark times, what Jedi Windu could do during the dark times when the Jedi Order and Republic has already fallen and when even Grand Jedi master Yoda and Obi-Wan were hiding from the Empire and from the rest of the world? I don't think there is any point for bringing Windu back. Perhaps a Pre-TPM story about Windu would be better.

whostheBossk and Mostly Handless like this.
  20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Luke was being severly tortured with Force lightning, Palpatine wanted him to suffer before he killed him .While Vader and Windu got the lethal strikes cause they were a threat to him and his life depended on it - you even see their heads glowing,lol. There is different intensities being used from the practitioner from movie to movie(or cartoon) and character to character. Master Windy got chopped, zapped and tossed, he dead( or a cyborg,lol).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    He fatally injures Vader because the Force lightening destroys the components in Vader's life support system.

22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Even pretending somehow being struck by lightning like Mace was would have little to no consequences in terms of "realism" , is quite preposterous. His death was worse than Maul's apparent death in TPM or Boba Fett's in ROTJ,lol.

CANON
    Force lightning was an offensive technique which involved a discharge of electrical energy from the practitioner's hands and was capable of killing or inflicting severe pain on the target, as well as possible disfigurement or even disintegration.

In some cases, the intensity of Force lightning was so high that the victim's skeletal system glowed and could be seen through his or her skin—as demonstrated with Windu—or even through heavy armor. Luke Skywalker considered it to be the ultimate manifestation of the Force in a physical sense."

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force_lightning

[​IMG]

Expanded Universe

"Though the short-term effects of Force lightning are obvious, the sheer power invoked by its use could have insidious long-term effects, both on those subjected to its power and those who would wield it. It could deform the person being shocked and it could also lead to them being crippled for the rest of their life. It was also known to cause brain damage and blindness. Prolonged exposure to intense electrical fields (such as a sustained current of Force lightning) caused most humanoids to experience sudden and massive calcification of their skeletal system; the abrupt drop in blood minerals provoked muscular micro-seizures all over the victim's body. Intense enough doses of Force lightning will also have the victim having his or her skeletal system being seen through the body, as demonstrated with Darth Vader and Mace Windu. However, this does not impact the user if it is redirected at him or her. This is especially evident with Sidious shortly before his death, as despite being hit with Force lightning at an intensity great enough to cause Vader's skeleton to shine through his armor when picked up by Vader, he did not exhibit the same symptoms.

Telltale symptoms included generalized muscle aches and double vision. A blood test or bioscan could be used to confirm the diagnosis.

Unless the victim received complete bed rest and appropriate medical treatment, the disorder would become chronic, lingering for years (barring timely bacta immersion). Luke Skywalker, who was diagnosed with the disorder by 4 ABY was confined to a hoverchair for his trip to Bakura during the Ssi-Ruuk invasion, mere days after his near-fatal encounter with Sidious."

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force_lightning/Legends

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    whostheBossk and Mostly Handless like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Lightning and falling.

24. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    On that point, I always found it kind of funny Mace was already jumping out the window before being fried:

[​IMG]

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018