main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official: The Star Wars DVD FAQ and Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Commander Antilles, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    In case you forgot, the O-OT already exists. The "extra mile" is all the changes being made to the SE's.

The "extra mile" I was referring to would be caving to your demands and releasing the O-OT on DVD along with the new SEs.

I think it's also likely Lucas feels the OT sales may exceed the SE sales, if not match them. That would be embarrasing.

You're assuming he would put them out on separate discs, creating a competition. That's pretty unlikely. It's also unlikely you know how Lucas "feels" about anything.

The O-OT made more money at the box office than the SE's. Thanks for the assist.

Shot BLOCKED! Depends how you rank them, non-adjusted gross or adjusted, domestic or worldwide. But its really an unfair comparison seeing as EpIII is not released yet.

Perhaps we should begin measuring phalluses?

I've yet to see you or anyone else provide any evidence (other than your personal opinion) that the O-OT would not sell well.

Who EVER suggested it wouldn't sell well??? MeBeJedi, take a breath. I'm on YOUR SIDE. Where we differ is that I don't think the world is coming to an end if the O-OT is released at this time on this format. Where we differ is that I'm not going to attack Lucas personally because I don't like this decision. Where we differ is that I'd rather see productive forms of protest, i.e. writing personal letters to Lucasfilm, that actually MIGHT get someone to take notice. If you think sitting in your livingroom clicking on online petitions and attacking Lucas on message boards is going to do anything, well, look at the evidence. It hasn't worked so far!

2. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    jedi master ousley: "We're all fans here. No one is more or less of a fan because they like a different version of the Original Trilogy."

I would be inclined to agree with you, if it weren't for all the talk of remakes and wish lists of changes I keep seeing. Some people obviously prefer a version of the OT that doesn't even exist.

3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Doesn't even exist YET, anyway.

4. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    This topic is horrible. Only a few people are trying to talk about the actual DVD that is being released. Most of the people are arguing with each other about whether they should punch lucas or make sweet love with him under the stars. And people's opinions don't matter, because you are right and they are wrong. Even if you both are wrong or right. Like a couple of pages back. I just stated that I thought lucas was greedy for not pleasing his "billions" of fans. But nope, that's BS. Because lucas would have released a third trilogy already. Not if he was smart. He would try to keep the trilogy spread out as much as possible, so he could make a steady stream of money over 20 to 30 years, insted of a lot of money over a period of a decade or so. But that's just a conspiracy theory. And there are billions of star wars fans. Not crazy fans like most of us that collect everything star wars, and kill anyone that bad mouths it. But people that have seen the movies, and liked them.

Anyway the point that I lost in the middle of my rant was; that we should all just agree to disagree, and stop acting like matrix fans (i.e. attacking anyone that remotely dislikes the movies, or it's creators). So lets all just stop arguing about off topic things, and just talk about the non-OOT DVD.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "The "extra mile" I was referring to would be caving to your demands and releasing the O-OT on DVD along with the new SEs."

As opposed to "caving in" to the demand to release the OT DVD's before the PT was finished, as he's said many times before this?

"You're assuming he would put them out on separate discs, creating a competition."

Wow, did you find the word "may" in my post all by yourself?

"That's pretty unlikely"

Sounds like another one of those pesky "assumptions".

"It's also unlikely you know how Lucas "feels" about anything."

Oh boo hoo! You really got me with that one.

"Depends how you rank them, non-adjusted gross or adjusted, domestic or worldwide."

Funny how you did bother to bring up that distinction with your original post.

"But its really an unfair comparison seeing as EpIII is not released yet."

You're right - it's hardly fair at all. Especially since we are talking about two versions of the OT, rather than the PT.

"Where we differ is that I don't think the world is coming to an end if the O-OT is released at this time on this format."

Yeah, the difference being I've never once stated this. How can you "be on my side", when you don't even know what my side is? ?[face_plain]

"It hasn't worked so far!"

So that's your proof? It hasn't happened, so it will never happen? Am I to assume you know how Lucas "feels" about this?

"Doesn't even exist YET, anyway."

See DTJ's post concerning such wishful thinking. [face_laugh]

6. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    Yeah, this Thread SUCKS now.

Maybe there should be a SEPERATE thread about getting the O-OT on DVD and complaints about the upcoming set. Then we can keep this one in focus.

All the people it was fun to bait have quit the debate anyway *sigh*

MODS? Anyone listening?!?!

7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    The only way that'd ever get done would be if going off the topic of the DVDs themselves would earn a ban or something. Heck, I tried to discuss what may be on the bonus disc, and no one responded, because they all just wanted to argue over which version they are releasing.

This thread does indeed suck.

8. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
  9. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Those who say a thread sucks suck. If you don't like the conversation, move on. No one is forcing you to participate. Else, initiate a new line of discussion. Griping about it won't solve anything.

L8r

10. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Here's the basic gist of this thread from it's beginning to it's sad, sad end...

Lucas, circa 1997-present: Ya know, I don't really think now is a good time to put Star Wars on DVD. Market penetration of DVD players really isn't all that high yet, and the technology isn't perfected. Plus there's a little more I want to do to this movies, due to my philosophy of films never being finished, only abandoned. Plus I've got these prequels coming up. I'd like to be intimately involved in the creation of the DVD's, and I really can't do that while writing, directing, producing, and editing 3 other movies. So the DVDs are gonna have to wait until after Episode III, so I can make them the best they possibly can be.

Star Wars fan, circa 1997-present: OH COME ON! You know darn well they could be put on DVD in five minutes! Just slap something together! Don't make us wait! You OWE us Lucas, you OWE us! Just put out barebones discs now! We'll buy the giant box set later! But we want the movies in digital form NOW, and if you don't give them to us we'll just bootleg them! HA! And what's with these @#$! Special Editions??? (whining, moaning, and petitioning ad nauseam begins)

Lucas, circa 2004: OK guys, you know what? I've got great news. I found some time, and we're gonna go ahead and get these movies on disc for you, several months before Episode III, even though I ALWAYS planned to wait until after it was done. And they won't even be the barebones discs you asked, begged, and petitioned for. I'm gonna do feature commentary on all three films (my buddy Steven won't even do that!), and we're gonna put together a bonus disc with a brand new feature-length documentary, some Episode III teaser material, and maybe a few other suprises too.

Star Wars fan, circa 2004: That sucks! ONE bonus disc?! Lord of the Rings got THREE for each movie!! Why can't you be more like Peter Jackson and give us what we want?? The Indy set sucked and this set will suck too! Stop holding stuff back for a later release! We KNOW when you're ripping us off and we're not gonna fall for it anymore, Luca$!! You suck! Oh yeah, and what's with these @#$! Special Editions?!?!?

I think I've summed it up. =P

EV Edit: That acronym is not allowed here

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Griping about it won't solve anything."

Kinda like the OT DVD scenario. [face_laugh] I guess some just don't see it (or refuse to).

12. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    DarthToeJam, you continue to make very good post in this thread. Rational, reasonable, understandable and accurate. Your efforts are appreciated. Thanks. :) :cool:

I very much want the original releases of the Original Trilogy on DVD and maybe someday that can and will happen and if it does happen I will enthusiastically buy them instantly. I also very much want on DVD the version that is going to be released on DVD and will enthusiastically buy that version instantly. :) :cool:

13. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Ladies and Gentlemen, lets try to turn the notch down just a tad.

As for a thread specifically about the a O-OT on dvd, we already have that petition one here. That and I'm afraid that this new thread will turn into a complete bashing of the SE.

Oh, and Wampa that acronym is not allowed here.

14. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Sorry Errant. Won't happen again. =)

I do hope that, as more information is released, this thread would move more towards discussion of content/bonus features/technical quality of the discs, and not complaints about the version of the films to be presented, which is a done deal as far as the Sept. 2004 release is concerned.

I'd like to point out that, even though this is a "placeholder" set until the real one comes out for the 30th anniversary, there IS something about this set that makes it historic. This is probably the very last time that the Star Wars Trilogy will be sold or referred to as "The Star Wars Trilogy". Future releases will probably include all six films and be billed simply as "The Star Wars Saga". SO those of you planning to sell this set on EBay once a new release comes out might want to hang on to it after all, if for nothing else than it's the last "Trilogy" box set ever.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry- people will still refer to The Star Wars Trilogy regardless if it's on the box or not ;;D

16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [face_laugh] Very true.

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I agree with Paraquem's statement. I think JohnWilliams00 and the rest of you guys have the absolute right to protest, make petitions, do whatever. Rock on. What I object to is the "Lucas is a jerk" stuff. You can disagree with the man's decisions, but he is neither a god nor a bonehead. He's a filmmaker, a businessman and a human being.

Same here. I actually agree with those who say that the pre-SE versions should be released on DVD. However, attacking Lucas personally and calling him a jerk and worse is not productive, and only causes ugliness, just like saying that you shudder at the thought of the prequels bringing in new fans to SW beacuse people who like the prequels prefer style over substance and don't know what a quality movie is.

I don't know anyone who responds positively to being insulted.

18. Signor_Ferrari

Signor_Ferrari Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2004
    For a commentary and discussion on the decision to not put the original movies on DVD, check out this blog link.

http://www.rickblaine.com/index/P146/

19. zeaband

zeaband Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2003
    Good morning my beuatiful people, crap.

20. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    And a hearty CRAP to you too.

Whatever that was supposed to mean. :p

21. JediFighterOfAllTime

JediFighterOfAllTime Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    I just found this page and don't really want to go through all of it to see if these questions have been answered.
    How come some people dont like the new additions GL is doing to the original star wars dvd,because if any of these things below were added.It would seem like it would make it better by tying it all together.

1.Is Yoda going to be CGI?
    2.The fight between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan in ANH going to have a better saber duel?
    3.All the creatures that were puppets going to be CGI?
    4.The Emperor shooting electricity at Luke going to be redone?
    5.Hayden Christensen going to be under the Vader mask when Luke takes it off in ROTJ?
    6.Lightsabers going to be redone?
    7.Is Ewan McGregor going to have reshoots to put him in ANH to be Ob-Wan?

If Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen done scenes to have put in the movie,Then we could see a better fight between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan.Because the fight in episode 3 is suppose to be really big.It would just make since that the fight in ANH would be just as good.Otherwise the fight in episode 3 is going to make the fight in ANH look even worse.

22. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Is Ewan McGregor going to have reshoots to put him in ANH to be Ob-Wan?

You mean, completely replacing Alec Guiness? :eek: Why?

23. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    JFAOTT:

In ANH:
    + The Dark Side has been pushing the Force out of balance for, oh, 40 odd years. Vader senses the effect this has had on Obi Wan right away 'Your powers are weak...'.
    + Obi is also an old man and out of practice by then
    + Since this is so Vader doesn't have to exert himself to combat Obi - plus he himself is half machine and much older now. ALSO > since they'd already had that BIG fight doesn't it make sense that they would avoid falling into each other's traps? Knowledge = defense.
    + Lastly it is a beautifully choreographed, staged and executed duel.

PS: I have no objection to GL sprucing it up though. But it doesn't actually *need* it in my eyes.

24. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    Is Ewan McGregor going to have reshoots to put him in ANH to be Obi-Wan?

If they did that then why would they go through the trouble of making Ewan look like Alec Guiness.

The only change that should be made to the duel, in my opinion, is fixing the lightsber effects.

25. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    So I guess there is going to be deleted scenes and commentary

COOL

why didnt they have it for Indy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.