main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official Thread* - C-IV Social Thread -- May, 2007 just can't come soon enough!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Ditto!!

But I'm addin' a hug, too!

[:D]

2. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Um, no. I have to strongly disagree. This year is going to suck butt for Star Wars fans. We have CIV, that's it. As far as toys go, there isn't anything new. If you collect figures, it's all repainted, repacked figures that we have been seeing since 03/2005. If you collect statues (like I do) you are spending about $75-$500 for them. There are no new movies. No good books on the horizon. No television show yet. The 30th anniversary means nothing. Nothing special is going to happen for it. A 6 disc DVD box set?????? And you are spending money on this why????????? Don't we all already have every episode on VHS and DVD???? Original version and special edition????? If anyone buys the 6 disc DVD boxed version they are crazy. There is absolutely no reason or no point to it. You are buying something you have already purchased 3 times over. I'm sure a few cool Master Replicas products will come out, but once again, hundreds of dollars. We have seen it all, bought it all, read it all and lived it all. It's all good memories, happy times and fun get togethers now. Please don't kid yourself and think this is going to be a great year for Star Wars though. 2002 and 2005 were the best years for Star Wars. Take away CIV and this year is REALLY pathetic for Star Wars. Well, I guess George being the grand marshall of the rose parade should make me happy. NOT!

Love,

Pwinklespi

3. Korran_Kuat

Korran_Kuat Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2004
    I love your optimism Pwinklespi, but can't help agreeing with you on the DVD front. I really don't need any more copies of the trilogy (yes for me it is still on IV - VI).

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Easy there, pwinklespi. You are entitled to your opinion since this is a public forum obviously. But don't go too far and say what people can or cannot buy. If fans (like me) want to spend their cash on the 6-disc DVD boxed set, they most certainly will. Don't go telling fans how they should spend their cash on SW memorabilia. Maybe for YOU its all "good memories and happy times". But for me, 2007 is gonna be huge. I doubt very mch you know EVERY Star Wars item that is planned to be released in 2007. What I consider to be worth buying or exciting to look forward to may (and obviously does) differ from you. Nothing wrong with that of course (different strokes for different folks, right?), but please spare me the "don't kid yourself" line.

You enjoy Celebration IV and 2007 in your own way; I'll do it in mine, thank you. [face_shame_on_you]

5. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Justin, don't take what I said personal. It's just my opinion. Sorry if you're not happy with it, but come on. Your statement was "The next 6-12 months are going to be the greatest in SW fandom history." Why? A box set? Honestly, I do know almost everything that is coming out this year. I am on Yoda News, Rebelscum, Gentle Giant, Sideshow and Hasbro website all week long. I get every newsletter you can imagine. A couple of new products are coming out, but what else is there? The 30th anniversary? Besides CIV, what else is going on to celebrate? If you had 2 or 3 copies of Spiderman or Lord of the rings or any other awesome moive, would you buy it again because it's in a different box? Think about it,. It doesn't, to me in my opinion blah blah blah, make sense.

I love Star Wars and am excited about CIV and a few items coming out this year, but let's be realistic. The greatest year in fan history?

6. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    I will most certainly buy the box set. I'm hoping he actually re-releases 1, 2, and 3, and beta format with the added grain and worn tape feel to it. Mabye some color fade as well. And I hope he charges $79.95 for it too. The new toys do suck. I don't collect them. My son is into the Lego sets and the Galactic Hero line and you even get screwed over with those. If anyone's seen them, they come in sets of two and they are geared towards kids. Well, they'll come out with another character, but it's paired up with one that's already been released. So you actually have to buy some of the characters twice just to get the new ones. Yeah..way to go Lucas and the marketing department. It's bad enough when I feel like I'm getting screwed, but to take advange of the next generation? Blah!

7. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    You guys have your particular opinions, and I have mine. I am a member of all the sites you mentioned, as well as receive all the vendor newsletters as well. I'm also excited about exclusive product being released by retailers such as Target, Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, etc. And nobody knows for sure what exactly they will be releasing in 2007 to celebrate the 30th anniversary.

We obviously have some differing opinions on what we consider to be "SW collectible-worthy".

Let's just leave it at that and move on, shall we?

8. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    You guys have been doing just fine... let's keep this on a friendly level, alright? Otherwise, I step in.

9. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I wasn't disagreeing with your opinion, Justin so I don't know where that's coming from. While I don't have all the problems with Lucas that Pwinky has, I can see his point. I think next year or the year after is going to be a much better year to be a SW fan. When the new Clone Wars series airs and we finally get a look at the live action tv series... that will be exciting.

10. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Grumpy, my post wasn't to disagree with yours or Pwinkle's opinions. I was responding to not liking being told that I am "crazy" for buying the 6-disc DVD boxed set. Or that I don't need to "kid myself" for thinking 2007 was going to be the best year for fans. Those are negatives directed towards my opinions, and that simply will not do.

Those are the points that I took exception to and should not have been posted. Not whether or not anybody agrees with me that 2007 will be a great year for SW fans. You mis-interpreted my post if that was what you came away with after reading it.

11. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Blah blah blah....ok enough. let's stop. We all love Star War. I have a very strong negative feeling toward LFL re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re re releasing the re re re re re re re re re re re release of Star Wars the special edition, the original edition, the wonderful edition, the Peter Mayhew edition, the conceptual edition, the fraggle Rock edition and the Norman Fell edition. I don't like seeing anyone being taken advantage of. Especially the fans who have put billions of dollars into the holy flannel ones pockets. It angers me that Star Wars fans keep paying for the same thing over and over again. Toys, movies, it's all the same thing. How many imperial shuttles do we need? How many Darth Vader figures do we need? I have every edition of Star Wars. I refuse to buy another DVD of something I already have because George needs a few extra million. I wasn't singling you out Justin. I feel we as Star Wars fans, we give our heart and soul and we get (as trimph the insult dog once said ) get George Lucas' table scraps. Besides ROTS, they toys released last year and CIII and CIV, I feel we have been cheated. With all teh effort they spent on re releasing the same friggin movies 800 times, they could have made 76 more. It all comes down to not wanting anyone taken advantage of.

New subject. How about those Ravens? HAHA!

12. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Anyone want to chip in with me and get Pwinklespi some Prozac for X-mas? Heh.. all very valid points...and I'm not just agreeing because I'm hopelessly in love with you. More on that in our private emails... anyway... I'm wondering though how much Lucas has to do with the marketing departments and toy development. He comes up with the basic story and the final direction. That's about it. He set in place the methods by which to market the films and the like (like toy manufacturing etc) but he probably isn't even aware that some fans feel this way. It's too large of a machine. And in all honesty, when they put on something like a Celebration, we all go crazy and give them exactly what they want so why should it be any different? I'm sure this isn't the end of the film editions. I'm sure once everyone has Blu-Ray they'll come out with another set, maybe with a CGI Yoda in Episode I. I'd love that!!! (And yes, I'm just trying to send Pwinky over the deep end.)

13. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Banter thats what I like to see true dedicated fans :D
    20th century fox are backing the blue ray so it will not be before long they release all the movies on one disk which is possible or better still in the future when the tv series is over and done with they can stream it all together and still put it all on one disk as I am sure that 200gb capacity blue ray in the works will be up for the job.

14. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Those are good examples of opposing optimistic & pessimistic points of SW fandom view.

PW, you'll never get that first time feeling back again. For a first Gen. like myself, even Episodes I, II, & III didn't bring it back. But that doesn't mean it wasn't exciting, it was just a different excitement! And, it was something I got to share with other fans, unlike with the original 3.

Maybe it's because I know I can never go back that I'm so thrilled with the new stuff that does come out. (even though some are repackaged dupicates, rather expensive, etc) It could also be that I'm just a hopeless incurable optimistic!! What can I say? I even collect the Galactic Heros.

Trust me, I'm not always thrilled with the marketing games, but I buy into it all anyway and happily fork over the cash. Like many of us here, I'll buy the 6 DVD set when it comes out. I won't debate whether or not that's crazy, but I have to feed the addiction and will purchase it regardless of how many copies I have.

We all know that Lucas is aware of our addiction. We also know that he and his marketing folks use that to their best advantage. So, we have the choice as to purchase the products or not and then decide whether or not to be happy about our choice.

For me, 2007 will probably be my best Star Wars year!! I just recently discovered and joined a local Fan Force and have made some great friends, (on and off line) so I have others to share in the excitement; because I live in So-Cal, I have the opportunity to work on the Lucas Film Rose Parade floats (I'm scheduled to work 3 different shifts) and then watch the Rose Parade live while some of my friends are marching in it in their SW costumes; my Fan Force has several outings set for this year (some SW related, some not) ; C-IV; Comic-Con; new toys... I could go on and on as my optimistic nature would like to do, but I'll contain myself.

My hope, PW, is that you never lose your love of Star Wars or turn away from it regardless of the the marketing. We'd hate to lose you as a fan and part of our SW family. Remember, once a memeber of the family... always a member of the family! [:D]

15. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Wth so many fans in so many different locations, we are all bound to have our differing opinions on Star Wars, both past and future. There is SO MUCH Star Wars-related things, from the films to toys to events.

And I think that's what makes us such a unique group of fans.

While we may differ on certain aspects of SW, we can ALL agree that is the best saga of films ever created. =D=

16. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I'm quite excited to go shopping for star wars stuff. We don't have any authorized hasboro sellers here in town, so star wars toys are hard to come by. I know there's always the internet, but the hunt is half the fun :)

17. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    The funniest part about all of this is that I wuill always be a Star Wars fan. I ain't going anywhere. And, if you saw my house you would collapse. I have everything from all my galactic Heroes to walls and walls of framed autographs, to boxes upon boxes of figures, ships, playsets, games and displays. I have two wedding cake type glass displays with hundreds of figures. It's not like I saw one movie and kindof like it. It's a HUGE part of my life. I loved all of the movies. I just have a negative opinion of the way LFL handles certain things. They know. There are huindreds of message boards out there. If Gen Con found there way here, I'm sure LFL has someone trolling the boards for information.

For some it looks like it will be a good year to be a fan. For CIV, a few little conventions, some new toys and the boards, it will be OK for me too. I just have to disagree with the box set being a part of it. I'm angry that they keep releasing it. These movies have been released 5 times so far. Laser Disc, VHS, Special Edition VHS, DVD, Special edition and Original version DVD. This will be the 6th release of the same movie. That just makes me so mad. Make another movie. Put me and Grumpy in it.

18. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    HAHA! I haven't seen that yet. Hell, that's how I bought it. I never saw it until last year.

19. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    TOTALLY AWESOME! Check this out!!!

The rumor has been given recent momentum from a recently released LEGO booklet showing the upcoming project line-up. At one point, the booklet states:

"The STAR WARS DVD set, that will be released at the 30th anniversary, will be responsible for an increased sale of the new sets. There will be a anniversary logo on all LEGO Star Wars sets."

We do know that Lucas plans on rereleasing the original Star Wars film in IMAX 3D to celebrate the 30th anniversary in May 2007.

Producer Rick McCallum has previously confirmed that a box set of all six films was in the works. Animation director Rob Coleman also let it slip that the puppet Yoda from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match Episodes II & III for the "future" release.

The rumored set is expected to include all six films, and could possibly be 15 discs. I bet this sucker will run $200. For once, I can't wait to give Lucas even more money.

20. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    GJ, where did you find this LEGO booklet containing this article? A 15-disc Saga DVD set? Ahhh, lovely....

Oh man, you'll definitely find me standing outside my local Best Buy at 3am the day this bad boy is released. 15 discs of pure heaven...

21. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    That was the article... it didn't have anymore info and I was bouncing around on a few links trying to find fodder to drive Pwinky crazy. If you Google '30th anniversary star wars DVD' you should find it.

22. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    And don't worry about Pwinklespi. Knowing him, he's already pre-ordered it on Amazon.... the freakin Lucas autographed version. HAHAHAHAAHA

23. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Cool GJ, thanks for the info. I'll definitely Google it and see what comes up.

Oh, and I'm fine with Pwinklespi. I'm gonna send him the Saga DVD boxed set for Christmas with love. :*

24. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I shall tell you some C4 news
    My friend got a email today in regards to the westin bonaventure, they made a mess with the original price per night and had it listed at $185 per night,the rooms v.i.a. the hotel website work out about $227 a night for the dates of the convention so they odviously have realised they cannot offer a convention rate of $42 per night to people with the other hotels offering roughly $20 per night less than what they charge originally so they have raised the westin bonaventure up to $205 per night.
    Its abit naughty of them on their behalf but cause we have just made reservations and not paid anything I suppose they can do whatever they want.

25. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Just make sure you send him a bill with it as that will make the present even sweeter! Didn't you know that he loves paying for movies that he already has six or seven copies of??[face_whistling]

Merry Christmas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.