main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Thread: Discussion of Potential Changes to the Classic Trilogy for Future Release, V.2.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Brandon Rhea, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Welcome!

After getting the approval from TLJ, I have created a new thread to talk about Possible Changes to the Star Wars Trilogy in Future.

What Not to Talk About

Please, do not talk about Lucas? motives, intentions, decisions or how you want the trilogy left alone. That kind of discussion can take place here.

Also, please refrain from discussing changes that have already happened. If you would like to discuss said changes, see Official Thread: SE Discussion Only or Official DVD Thread #2 - Changes Discussion.

And, another thing to remember is that this is the Classic Trilogy forum. If you would like to discuss possible changes to the Prequel Trilogy, do so in this thread, which can be found in the Prequel Trilogy Forum.

What to Talk About

A good thing to do is post a wishlist of things you would like to see. They can range from ?I just want the lightsabers fixed? to ?CGI ALL THE WAY!!!?. Whatever you want when it comes to suggesting changes. After you give suggestions, we can discuss them to our hearts desire. (My wishlist will be in the following post).

For all those who want to see further changes to the Original Trilogy, remember one very important detail: Have fun in this thread! The old version of this thread was incredibly fun, and I hope that this thread can become even better!

Also, those who contributed greatly to the old thread: Guy-Gone-Weird, jedimasterbac, jedi-master-kev, DarthQui-Gon, Sepharih, DARTHFINGERZ and nyjet10. If I forgot anyone, I apologize.

BAC EDIT: Thread locked. New thread can be found here.

2. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    *Note: None of these changes are confirmed and most are not even rumored. The list is simply a "fanboy wishlist" that provides some interesting discussion points.

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

-Update with latest digital video and sound quality

-Update ?20th Century Fox Fanfare?

-In the opening crawl, change ?restore freedom to the galaxy...? to ?bring hope to the galaxy...?

-Re-record score during the opening battle

-Add ?The Imperial March? to Darth Vader?s first appearance

-CG the Tantive IV

-Fix Darth Vader:

-Make Eyes Black
    -Make suit shinier
    -Have James Earl Jones re-record lines
    -Digitally place inner cloak under shoulder piece

-CG Obi-Wan?s robe to match one from Revenge of the Sith

-Remove blue roof from the Escape Pod lid

-CG SOME aliens in the cantina

-Remove the astronauts

-Remove blood from Ponda Bonda?s arm

-Take out shot of Chewie walking out of alcove in Jabba The Hutt Scene. WORST EDIT IN A MOVIE EVER

-Once again, CG Jabba with EpI model.

-CG all the members of Greedo?s species. They all look dumb to me

-Rotoscope all shots of Luke?s lightsaber to match Revenge of the Sith

-Take out Vader?s pointing at Tarkin

-Extend the cell bays

-Add ?Battle of the Heroes? to Obi-Wan vs. Vader, or write a new piece for that scene

-Make Death Star plans in Rebel Briefing more like the ones from Return of the Jedi

-Remove all Matte Lines around ships

-Remove frame jumps with lightsaber ignition/ deactivation and door openings/ closings

-Give Chewbacca a medal for crying out loud!!!

NEW SCENES

-Vader talking to a hologram of Emperor Palpatine and Tarkin

-Palpatine dissolving the Senate

-Bail Organa on Alderaan right before its destruction

-Vader talking to Palpatine in his TIE Fighter after the destruction of the Death Star

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

-In the opening crawl, change ?The evil lord Darth Vader? to ?The evil Sith Lord Darth Vader?

-CG Taun-Tauns. The stop-motion animation looks outdated

-When we hear Luke?s lightsaber deactivate, have the blade deactivate

-Extend the landscape of Dagobah through the fog

-Take the metallic sound away from the rain on Dagobah

-CG Mynocks

-CG Spaceslug

-Remove Boba Fett?s helmet while inside Slave I and show a scared Temura Morrison face

-Show Luke?s visions to mirror Anakin seeing visions of Padmé in Revenge of the Sith

-When Obi-Wan disappears while Yoda says ?No, there is another...? actually show him disappear

-Rotoscope all lightsabers to match Revenge of the Sith

-Add in the deleted scene of Lando grabbing Luke from the roof of the Millennium Falcon and pulling him inside

-Remove the black spot on top of the Millennium Falcon hatch and replace it with Cloud City exterior

-Remove ?Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival? and restore ?Bring my shuttle?. The latter makes Vader sound incredibly pissed and it is much betterr

-Paste Admiral Piett over Moff Jerjerrod in the Executer Docking Bay and replace the Death Star II hangar with a Super Star Destroyer hangar

-Digitally give Lando a new shirt at the end. Lando in a Han Solo shirt just looks plain stupid

-Make Luke and Leia the last shot instead of the Rebel Fleet

-Update the End Credits with Ian McDiarmid

NEW SCENES

- Using Photo-Realistic Technology, create a scene where Yoda is training Luke with a lightsaber**

**Steven Spielberg says that the technology to digitally create a human being as a main character is only 5-7 years away. As long as Lucas doesn?t croak by then, this could be possible.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

-CG Jabba the Hutt?s eyes

-Remove Oola falling into the Rancor Pit

-Remove the song and dance sequence all together

-CG the Rancor

-Add slash marks to all the victims of Luke?s lightsaber

-Show Boba Fett putting on his h

3. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah...thats pretty much air tight. But I would have Boba CG'ed all together, regarding his flying scenes. After seeing Jango, Boba looks kindergarden. And you suggested matching Obi-Wan in ROTJ to the way he looked in ESB - well one thing is wrong in ESB: Obi-Wan has a silver belt buckle, which is not congruent with the rest of the films. Other than that, I agree with the list entirely.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    bac, I added a note at the top of your post that it was just a "wishlist" type of thing. I don't want anyone running into this thread and thinking it's an actual list of changes, since they would then try to cite TFN as a source, think they know what they're talking about, etc etc. Hope you don't mind. :)

5. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I say we just let Lucas decide what he thinks need fixing up, and roll with it. I'm all for changes, but after thinking about it, and hearing a lot of George Lucas interviews, I feel bad even suggesting that I should have a say in the changes he decides to add or not to add to his saga.

You're list is fine, jedimasterbac and I wouldn't mind if Lucas decided to do most of those, just as long as it's something he wants to do.

6. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    [face_laugh] My list is just that good, isn't it...

Oh, I agree completely. This stuff is just what I think would be cool, not what should be in the films unless Lucas wants it to.

7. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Hey cool thanks for the shout Bac.....I think we needed this fresh start.

Onto the changes...

I'll be posting my revised, revised, revised AnH wishlist soon!

: )

8. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Anxious to read it, DF!

EDIT: You're welcome for the shout-out!

9. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Ill give my input on all of your ideas Jedi.

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Yes

-Update ?20th Century Fox Fanfare?

Agreed
    -In the opening crawl, change ?restore freedom to the galaxy...? to ?bring hope to the galaxy...?
    Doesn't bug me to much, I think it should probaly stay the same.

-Re-record score during the opening battle
    Yes

Definitly!

-CG the Tantive IV
    Fine as is I feel.

-Fix Darth Vader:

-Make Eyes Black
    -Make suit shinier
    -Digitally place inner cloak under shoulder piece
    Check, Check, Check, Check

No, its fine

-Remove blue roof from the Escape Pod lid

Its fine as is.

-CG SOME aliens in the cantina

Yea, maybe add Watto or something.

-Remove the astronauts

Yes

I agree, its the only time we see blood from a lightsaber wound, needs to be fixed.

-Take out shot of Chewie walking out of alcove in Jabba The Hutt Scene. WORST EDIT IN A MOVIE EVER

Dont have the DVD's, cant make a descion here.

-Once again, CG Jabba with EpI model.

Mmhmm. See pics of this Jabba, doesnt look as good as the one in TPM.

-CG all the members of Greedo?s species. They all look dumb to me

Lol, kinda do.

-Rotoscope all shots of Luke?s lightsaber to match Revenge of the Sith

Yes I defintly Agree

If you mean where he doesnt say lines and is moving, then yes.

-Extend the cell bays

Maybe CG the whole hallway.

-Add ?Battle of the Heroes? to Obi-Wan vs. Vader, or write a new piece for that scene

Yes!!!

-Make Death Star plans in Rebel Briefing more like the ones from Return of the Jedi

Doesn't bug me, I dont have an opinion.

YES!

-Remove frame jumps with lightsaber ignition/ deactivation and door openings/ closings

OMG YES!

-Give Chewbacca a medal for crying out loud!!!

Well im racist against Wookies, I dont take kindly to there type, so no. jk yes give him a dang metal. Wedge To!! dont know how they could do that though.

NEW SCENES

-Vader talking to a hologram of Emperor Palpatine and Tarkin
    About...?

-Palpatine dissolving the Senate

YES!

-Bail Organa on Alderaan right before its destruction
    I want to see him, eithier on Alderan, or when Sidious is disolving the Senate.

-Vader talking to Palpatine in his TIE Fighter after the destruction of the Death Star

yEs PLease.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Yes

-In the opening crawl, change ?The evil lord Darth Vader? to ?The evil Sith Lord Darth Vader?

OMG YEs, we need at least one mention of a Sith in the OT even if it is in the opening crawl.

-CG Taun-Tauns. The stop-motion animation looks outdated

Worse than outdated.

Yes

-Extend the landscape of Dagobah through the fog

Yes

-Take the metallic sound away from the rain on Dagobah

Yes

-CG Mynocks

they Dont bug me to much.

-CG Spaceslug

Yes it looks like a hand in a sock puppet.

-Remove Boba Fett?s helmet while inside Slave I and show a scared Temura Morrison face

That would be preety cool.

-Show Luke?s visions to mirror Anakin seeing visions of Padmé in Revenge of the Sith

Yes.

-When Obi-Wan disappears while Yoda says ?No, there is another...? actually show him disappear

IDC

-Rotoscope all lightsabers to match Revenge of the Sith

Yes.

-Add in the deleted scene of Lando grabbing Luke from the roof of the Millennium Falcon and pulling him inside

I would like to see that.

-Remove the black spot on top of the Millennium Falcon hatch and replace it with Cloud City exterior

Yes.

-Remove ?Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for

10. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I was just reading through your comments, and I realized that I posted an outdated list. :p I'll have the newer one up tonight. Don't worry, I still want Sebastian Shaw as Anakin in the unmasking scene.

11. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003

For that idea, I agree 99%. I think the Red AOTC was nicer looking though.

BRING BACK "BRING MY SHUTTLE" AMEN AMEN!!!

I would love to hear Vader's dialog redone for A New Hope. So that it is in line with ESB, and ROTJ.

And we need The Emperor in ANH in one form or another talking to Vader. This way we establish the relationship, and Vader does not seem like a Bounty Hunter.

What was the see through Emperor.

NO CGI YODA!!!!(no offense to the Mods or fans) BUt I would not say no to a puppet Yoda in AOTC and ROTS.
    I hope that they keep "Jedi Rocks". It was way better than Lapti Nek.
    Add the Imperial March to ANH for Vader's first appearence.
    And as Vader is looking from Luke to Palpatine. Have Obi-Wan say "You were the Chosen One!!!" Then have the Force Theme swell as Anakin throws Palps over the edge.

Have SOMEONE, Mon Mothma maybe, mention Palpatine by name. At least for the sake of continuity.

And if you care to respond to this next part, please do.

On the NEXT release I think they should have an Angle change function. This way you can see the ORIGINAL OT FOOTAGE. And switch to the SPECIAL EDITION/DVD EDITION footage.

12. MasterJedi-OliverR

MasterJedi-OliverR Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    Wow, its pretty intresting to read this list.
    My POV, make all the changes you want-
    Release the O-OT, and make alot of money with that so you can finance changes....
    OR
    Keep changing the OT and loose millions upon millions of dollars with the bootleg market.
    (I am not endorseing the buying of bootlegged DVD's)
    I mean, if you want the O-OT THAT MUCH then go on E-bay and buy a LASER Disc copy on DVD... or watch the tapes or buy the tapes on DVD...
    but, if Lucas wants to loose money, while he thinks hes making more..
    thats alright with us...is'int it? o_O

13. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Okay, I'm watching the part where Luke hacks off Vader's hand in ROTJ, and it doesn't make much sense that Vader just all of a sudden starts staggering around like a drunkard while his son is wailing on him, unless I missed something.

Also, redo the window in the Throne Room. I can't discern anything from that view. It's too far away.
    "You have to turn to the dark side. Just watch my gray dots destroy your gray dots."

Kill Nien Nunb, replace him with a cool-looking copilot, and record non-gibberish dialogue. I'm sorry, I just hat Sullustans.

I don't know if they fixed this in SE or DVD versions, but in ESB, the TIEs chasing Han through the Asteroid field are shooting blue blaster bolts (like Ion bolts, which I wouldn't expect TIEs to be moddable to use) and fix the Ion Cannon on Hoth to fire a blue bolt

Edit: I've got no problem with Sebastian Shaw. He's the Anakin Skywalker I grew up with, but I wouldn't mind seeing Ani's scar from ROTS edited into the unmasking scene.

14. MasterJedi-OliverR

MasterJedi-OliverR Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    Wow, your right about that scene, also fix the sound effects.. I dont know if Burrt thought those were high-powered X-1138 (lol) TIE-fighters or somthing, but they sound like they have high powered cannons (in the scene when the falcon is skiming accross the astroid with the 2 ties following her) but they should just add the traditional TIE effects (Sound) and fix the annoying TIE fighter-just-shot-a-shot in the very start of ANH when the SD is fireing on the Tantaive IV.

EDIT:
    After that Moff thread:
    Another thing for the up-coming changes:
    Add the moff jerrod gets killed by vader scene in JEDI.

15. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    This stuff would make it a saga

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope:
    -CG the Tantive IV

-Fix Darth Vader:
    -Make Eyes Black
    -Make suit shinier
    -Digitally place shoulder plate onto his shoulders
    -Add blinking lights to his chest plate
    -Have cape not cover the shoulder plate that is added

-CG all of the aliens in the catina
    -Remove the astronauts
    -CG Jabba with Episode 1 model.
    -Remove frame jumps to lightsabers going on/off
    -Remove frame jumps from doors that open/close
    -Redue the Vader/Obi duel(Let's see an exciting fight between a Jedi and a Sith)
    -Show Bail Organa and the people of Alderaan right before its destruction
    -CG all the computer panels in the DS(every place where you see a computer panel)
    -CG the image of the planet Alderaan that Tarkin is looking at
    -CG a better explosion of Alderaan
    -CG a better DS in action blowing it up
    -Redue all of the lightsabers in every shot that they are in
    -CG the computer panels in the cockpits(X-Wings,Vader's ship,Millennuim Falcon,etc.)
    -CG a better hangar in the Yavin base
    -CG the rebels computer panels at the Yavin base
    -Show Vader flying his damaged ship to Coruscant to meet up with the Emperor(Where they have a little talk)
    -CG a new space fight
    -CG a few commander stormtroopers that stand out from the other stormtroopers
    -CG all the explosions
    -CG all the blasters(from guns,aircrafts,DS)
    -CG the inside of the Sandcrawler(Show battle droids from episode 1-3)
    -CG the robots Luke and Owen are looking at when they decide which ones to buy
    -CG the whole space back drop
    -CG the Millennium Falcon doing dog flips as it escapes the star destroyers as it leaves Tatooine

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back:
    -CG Taun-Tauns
    -CG the Wampa
    -Add the Wampa invasion in the Echo Base(CG the Wampas)
    -Extend the landscape of Dagobah with CG
    -CG Mynocks
    -CG Spaceslug
    -Improve scene of Boba Fett in the Slave 1(CG the computer panel of the Slave 1 and show Boba Fett piloting it without his helmet on,show a side view)
    -Digitally give Lando a new shirt at the end. Lando in a Han Solo shirt just looks plain stupid
    -CG a Yoda training Luke with a lightsaber
    -CG Yoda
    -CG the battle of Hoth(have snowtroopers running on the battlefield next to the AT-AT's,show missles flying through the air,show a massive invasion from the empire causing the rebels to flee)
    -Remove all the frame jumps when a lightsaber is turned on/off
    -Remove all the frame jumps when a door is open/closed
    -CG all the blasters(from guns,vehicles)
    -CG the Ion Cannon shooting
    -CG the Echo Base computer panels
    -CG all the computer panels in all the cockpits
    -CG all the computer panels on Star Destroyer
    -Redue all the lightsabers in every shot they are in
    -CG some footage of the duel to make it a little longer and a little cooler
    -CG a new Vader holgram that is shown on Hoth
    -CG all the explosions
    -Get rid of all the matte lines
    -CG the whole space back drop

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi:
    -CG Jabba
    -CG the Rancor
    -Add slash marks to all the victims of Luke?s lightsaber
    -Add a CG Boba running on top of the Sail Barge with his arms at

16. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Here's what I want to see: at the very end of the saga, in ROTJ, when we see the force ghosts, I want to Luke to look at Yoda, Obi-wan, and Anakin. And then Luke would smile, and then look away. Then Mace appears, and for once, he's smiling. And then after a few seconds, Qui-gon appears, and he's smiling as well. And then after a few seconds, all the rest of the Jedi who were killed in Order 66 appear, but they appear more rapidly than the first two. But since they aren't human, I think they're look should be similar to Yoda's. Kind of plain, but somehow more than that, kind of like Yoda's look. But basically, it would show all the Jedi who've died in the saga, and would be a neat way to tie it all up.

17. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    But, the only Jedi to know the secret of immortality are Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin. All of them there just would not make much sense.

18. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Yea, I really just wanna see Qui Gon. Really Bad. Even though Id like to see Mace, it wouldnt make sense, he didnt know the power, and all the Jedi just wouldn;t make sense. The title ROTJ refers to eithier Luke becoming one, or Vader going back to one, not a bunch of Jedi at the end.

19. DARTH-SHREDDER

May 6, 2005
    Then again, how did Anakin learn the secret to immortality?

20. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    It was through his compassion and selflessness, because that is the key to learning the secret. And, he was the Chosen One...not to mention he had a little help from Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Yoda.

From the OS Databank:

Having saved his son's life, and reclaimed his soul from the dark side, Anakin died and became one with the Force. As he shed his corporeal form, he found the spectral forms of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda ready for his return. Through compassion and selflessness, Anakin discovered the secret knowledge of the Shaman of the Whills, a technique that allowed him to retain his identity in the netherworld of the Force.

21. DARTH-SHREDDER

May 6, 2005
    Couldn't the other Jedi learn from Yoda and Obi-wan too? And they are also selfless, right?

22. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I may get slapped on the hand for this, but this is according to the Insider:

Qui-Gon never truely learned the power of immortality, specifically with showing his presence in the living world. He was very close to it, but never fully discovered this power. He is able to communicate with his voice only, which explains the "Anakin! Anakin! No!!", and also explains him not disappearing at his death. Since he was only able to partially communicate with the living, he found a way (probably via voice communication) to teach what he knew to Yoda. And Yoda, in the 15 years or so between Qui-Gons death and him explianing this power to Obi-Wan, further learned this power and got close to perfecting it. He passed this knowledge to Obi-Wan to perfect on his own as well.

As far as Anakin goes, Yoda and Obi-Wan did the work regarding pulling Anakin's spirit to the imortal nether-world. Anakin had no prior knowledge of this power, even at his death.

23. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I still like to believe that after 36 years of being dead, Qui-Gon was able to perfect it 100%.

24. DARTH-SHREDDER

May 6, 2005

The I'm sure Yoda and obi-wan could also bring Mace and and Qui-gon. It really seems simple to me: the Jedi pass the power on to each other. :)

25. Oracle_Ye_Prophecy

Oracle_Ye_Prophecy Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2004
    To pump up the drama, try this:

In the Endor Imperial shuttle landing bunker or whatever it is called with Vader and Luke talking, at the end of the scene when Vader looks out into Endor, put some music from the Prequals, perhaps a sad dead version of across the stars but with a bit of light, and perhaps have a voice over of Shimi and Padme lines from the PT. Also put more dramatic music in this whole scene. Rescore it. Its very bland for such a scene.

At the end when Luke is being killed by Palpatine, have flashbacks of all the major events and people in Anakin life with the flashes of lightning, think Clone Wars cartoon ch.19 type but very subtle, and voiceovers with extended screen time and more music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.