main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official Thread* - One Stop Shopping - Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Well theres a thing that goes on in this country all the time which is called "daylight robbery".

2. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I got a quick question regarding hotels and using their vacuum cleaners: My wife recently purchased some of those plastic space-saver bags where you place all of your cloting in and then use a standard vacuum hose to remove all of the air. You've seen them all over the place and on TV ads.

My question is, will hotels allow you to use their vacuum cleaners before you check out from the hotel?

3. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    What a great idea!!! [face_idea] If you have reservations, I'd suggest calling the hotel where you're staying and ask them. It seems like a simple request, but who knows!

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Wow, that's not something I've ever encountered! Yep, the only thing to do is call, but since it's something "new," you may not like the answer LOL. Your best bet will be to just find one of the maids working on your floor (or thereabouts) and just go up to her and ask to use the vacuum cleaner hose.

5. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Do you really save a lot of space with those things?

6. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    YES! I bought some last year to store some of my extra blankets in. WOW, what a difference. Everything fit in the linen closet! Besides that, it was fun to watch the bag scrunch everything all up!! [face_laugh]

7. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    You save a TON of space with the bags. I am definitely going to use them for my trip to conserve as much luggage space as possible for all the stuff we are going to buy from the C4 store and from all the vendors.

I may have to slip the housemaid on my floor at the Fig a quick $5 to let me use the vacuum...

8. Korran_Kuat

Korran_Kuat Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2004
    No offense Justin, but tht just sounds wrong!

9. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hey, what's the average price range for the downtown hotels closest to the convention center?

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Around $139.00 a night.

11. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    [face_laugh]

12. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

13. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Thanks ValedaKor, that's very doable if I can find a roomate or two. :)

14. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Don't forget that's just an average -- the bigger hotels downtown are going to be more, probably around $175 a night.

15. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Heck, for that kind of action I'll pack and bring a vacuum with me. =) It's gonna be a GOOOOOOD vacation!

16. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Val, do you think GenCon is waiting for C4 registration until after the SoCal convention? If that's the case, I think we have at least another 22 days... according to the GenCon web site. All that registration might be a little too much for them.

17. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Good question, GJ. Were there any other conventions that Gen Con was taking orders for during the C3 badge ordering time frame? I do not seem to recall if there were or not...

18. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    It's possible... last time they took reservations seven months in advance, but if they wait until after SoCal that means the end of November, which would mean six months. Makes sense. Although that doggone US holiday might get in the way, lots of people traveling around that time, possibly without computer access. Would they care? Probably not. :eek:

Then again, GenCon didn't give much notice last time, I think it was three days. So with my timing scenario, it could very well be that we'll hear something on Friday the 27th, for a start-up date of October 30. But never, never quote me on these sort of things :).

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    A poster had asked about camping places close to downtown. Unfortunately, there aren't any (the closest KOA is 40 miles away), but this might work, for those of you who are even thinking about bringing an RV:

Dockweiler State Beach. You can reserve RV spots here:

Dockweiler State Beach

This is only 17 miles away (but about 45 minutes travel time, because you are going through the "heart" of Los Angeles). The website says you can reserve 3 months in advance; you might call, just to check.

20. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    For those of you who are planning on flying Southwest (as I am) to C4, I just got off the phone with a reservation clerk. She said the flights for the fourth week in May should become available on their website by the end of November, barring any scheduling setbacks or delays.

They are currently only accepting booking thru March 9th, 2007.

Just wanted to pass this little tidbit along...

21. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Sorry, I looked around a bit and if this has been answered all ready I am incredibly blind and didn't see it. If you sign up for the six month membership to Hypserspace/Fan Club, will that allow you to buy the "special" pass saying you're a fan club member for the convention? Or does it have to be a full year's subscription?

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    As far as I know, and I just checked the SW.com site, there is no six month membership. It's always been for one year. Where are you reading this?

23. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I'm under the FAQ page. I might be reading it wrong, but in II. Membership -- US and Canada, it mentions it under the first question about becoming a member.

I know it talks about a gift option under I. General Questions, but there's nothing that comes out and specifically says you cannot buy one for yourself.

Either way, the info would be very helpful. A friend of mine is going and doesn't really want to buy the full year membership (they're going more for CA than for SW :p ). The gift option would be very workable if that still allows them "special" access.

I was reading this page: http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/faq.html

Edit: typo

24. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Wow, I see that now. Hmmm... that's a question you'll have to ask them, I'm afraid. No one's ever brought that up, as far as I know. Their e-mail address is here.

25. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Should I get my badge dilevered or pick-up? When will they get here if I deliever?

-Krystal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.