main
side
curve

*Official Thread* - One Stop Shopping - Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    About storing your luggage until check-in time: check with your hotel. Most upscale hotels will hold your luggage for you until you return after check-in time. If your room is already clean and available, some will let you check in early. This means stopping at your hotel before the convention center, but you won't be lugging around that extra suitcase you brought for all your goodies.

If you're with Celebration housing, I would be completely surprised if the hotels on that list did not provide this service, especially for what they're charging. :)

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    You're right, you can always store your luggage at the hotel. This is always a service. Sounds like some people want to go straight to the convention center first though. That could present a problem, obviously.

3. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I will be alright with check in times as the hotel states you can check in after 3:00pm but I dont arrive into LA until 6:30pm.
    With the convention center I am glad its across the street so then at least I dont have to go far to pick my pass up.

4. DrSartorius

DrSartorius Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2007
    Does anyone know when the program list for non-Hyperspace members will be released? I'm going to register for CIV but I'm not sure which day I should go.

5. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I went back and looked at the Celebration news archives on starwars.com and it looks like the basic schedule (Insiders' Guide) was released about a week prior to the start of C3. There will be some things running daily but I don't think you'll know who will be presenting the panels until closer to show time.

6. DrSartorius

Feb 6, 2007
    So would it make sense to register/buy tickets before March 30th or wait and see what the programs are?

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Depends on whether you really want to go or not, DrS LOL.

I mean, you'll have the usual panels -- collecting, the books, the comics -- along with all the fan activities, autographing, fun for the kids, the exhibits. The exact content isn't really that important - it's the attendee interaction that really counts. I guess you have to decide if that's important enough to you to go. Most of us think it is :).

8. DrSartorius

Feb 6, 2007
    I really want to go! I've always wanted to go to a SW Celebration but haven't been able to because I live in LA. I didn't want to have to travel to Denver and Indianapolis. I was hoping Lucasfilm would move the convention to LA. So now I can go. :)

9. CarolynNC

Mar 29, 2002
    My opinion - If you are only going one day I would not pick Saturday. I suspect this will be the most crowded day and you will not get as much done. I don't think it's possible to see and do everything even if you go the entire time. The archive exhibit, autograph program, store, art show, fan hall, film programs, and vendor hall will be open every day. The panels will be running every day but I don't think we'll know who will be appearing which day until closer to show time.

Why don't you go back and read some of the C3 coverage & news releases located [link=http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/archive.html]here[/link]. That might help you decide. If you can swing more than one day I highly recommend it.

10. DrSartorius

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm leaning towards registering for Sunday, May 27. I could register for the 24 or 25 but I'm not sure I can afford to miss school.

11. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Do the autographs early in the morning on the first day. There's always managable crowds, since everyone else will be going to the panels, etc.

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    More stuff has turned up about events at CIV in the last week and I was just checking what things would be where in the LACC and I noticed that the autographs are scheduled for Exhibit Hall H-J. But if you look at the online Exhibitor Info on the CIV web site, the tentative map they have for that is also for Exhibit Hall H-J.

Exhibitors and autographs couldn't possibly fit in the same space. Are the Exhibitors going somewhere else?

13. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    I've never been to a con of any sort before ... are people who go in costume expected to stay in character the whole time?

14. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Nope not generally, you can pretty do what you like and go in and out of character at any given time.
    Its more fun to go into character though especially if you are 501st and have kids around you.

15. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    yes, stay in character if there are kids around but don't scare the kids! If it's an important issue like a kid has lost his parents or something though...not a good idea to stay in character....

p.s. what is manhattan beach like? any good? cheap?

16. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    I've never gone to a con before so I've gt to ask...

1. What can I expect to find at C4? Like what kind of events are there and such things.

2. Will there be an official events program (even if it's tentative) avaliable anywhere online before pre-registration closes?

17. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    We're all anxiously awaiting the programming and schedule, so we'll know what's what. It hasn't come out yet.

18. CarolynNC

Mar 29, 2002
    I don't think we had a schedule or program prior to the on line deadline for C2 or C3. There are lots of C3 news stories in the archive that can give you an idea of what was available. I suspect much will be the same.

[link=http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/archive.html]Star Wars Celebration Archive[/link] Check out the stories beginning January 23rd, 2004 through May 12th, 2005.

These two stories give nice summaries of the panels. [link=http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20050415.html]
    Insider's Guide to Celebration III -- Thursday and Friday[/link] and
    [link=http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20050418.html]
    Insiders' Guide to Celebration III --- Saturday and Sunday[/link]

Some of the things I've enjoyed in addition to the panels are the Archive exhibit, droid exhibit, fan hall, exhibit hall, autograph hall, diorama building, art show, and the celebration store shopping.

If you are interested in costuming then you'll be surrounded by some of the best. The fan made costumes show lots of creative talent.

Starwars.com has lots of pictures and information about the Celebrations. It won't give you the true feeling of what it's like to attend but it will let you know what's possible. Past Celebrations have required lots of standing in line and waiting for the major events. I found plenty to do that required little or no waiting in line when I didn't feel like waiting.

Celebration is what you make it! You can be miserable and disappointed because things aren't going as you planned & hoped or you can revel in being surrounded by everything Star Wars.

19. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Say I want to get an exclusive poster to have people sign. Are those sold only in the Celebration Store or do you buy them from the artists?

20. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    You will be able to buy artwork (posters, sketches and the like) from the artists themselves. But I'm sure there will also be a C-IV poster that can be picked up in the store.

21. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Cool, thanks.

22. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Does anyone from California have any advice as far as beaches go? My wife and I are going to wake up Sunday and go find a beach and relax all day. The problem is we don't anything about the shoreline. Any suggestions? Laguna Beach is about an hour away. Looking at a map, the Pacific coastal highway isn't that far from our hotel, but I'm not sure what the beaches in the area are like. What waters have sharks? What beaches are gross?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

23. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Santa Monica is a straight shot down the 10 Freeway. Very nice beach. Just be aware if you get there early in the morning it'll probably be foggy. [link=http://www.santamonica.com/]Santa Monica[/link]

The other thing to think about is Memorial Day weekend is the "start" to Summer around here. Probably going to be pretty busy anywhere you go (at least once the fog burns off :)).

24. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Thank you for the link and the fog advice. We plan on getting up early to head down. I know by Sunday I'll need sand between my toes.

25. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Hey guys, I have a big question here. I hope as many people weigh in as possible. First of all, I've never been to any SW Celebration. Celebration 4 would be my first oppertunity to go. Unfortunately, my cousin is getting married the same weekend. We have a big family and were all pretty close, so I really feel like I should be there. The wedding is the on the 26th in Michigan. I live in Upstate, NY. C4 is obviously in LA. I went online and discovered a package that would allow me to fly from NY to LA, arriving May 23. Then I could grab a plane in LA and fly out to MI, arriving late 25th or early 26th, the day of the wedding, I'm not in it, so I guess I can skip rehersal. This can all be done for $350 and I have a friend I could stay with in LA. So my question is this, is c4 worth it to go to for all flying around I have to do? I would be at C4 1, maybe 2 days tops. What I be able to see, enjoy everything? Is it enough time? I hope someone can compare those questions to what it was like at c3. Im a huge SW fan and really want to go. But, at the same time, I don't want ot get there and be like, I came across country for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.