main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official Thread* - One Stop Shopping - Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, that's a though question. Without seeing the schedule, it's hard to say whether just having two days will give you enough "bang for your buck" to justify the time and expense traveling. I guess you have to equate it to flying out to Los Angeles for a weekend. I also think it depends on the return flight -- you might really only be looking at having a day and a half to spend.

Is your interest in buying things from the store and the exhibitors, or are you interested in panels? Since you're coming early you might be able to get the exclusives, but you also might end up spending a goodly part of your only full day waiting in line. Ditto for autographs -- that can take up a chunk of time. If it's panels, well, you might miss out on seeing one that you really want to see; again, we'd have to wait until the schedule comes out to determine that.

I always think that for someone who's a "first time attendee" that unless you have the time to devote to the event, you won't get the full benefit of the experience. Someone who has been before can say "oh, I saw that at C-III, too bad I had to miss it this time but at least I've seen the props exhibit or the One Man Show or all the R2 builders or SW in 30 Minutes before," etcetera, ectera. Me, personally, I couldn't justify the expense for such a short time. Also, traveling can be hard, and delays are not unheard of. If you don't fly back until the 26th you could run the risk of being late or missing the wedding entirely.

2. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I'll also add unless you are a fan club member and purchase the 4 day badge you will not be able to attend on the 24th. If I was going to put that much into flying out I'd do a round trip NY/LA and then another round trip LA/MICH. That way you could attend the 24th & 25th, take a late flight to Michigan on the 25th, return to LA late on the 26th or early 27th and attend the 27th and 28th. I wouldn't have the stamina to follow that schedule but you may be younger and adapt easier. That's a lot of flight time and I'm not sure I'd be up for it.

Would you be able to see & enjoy everything? I doubt people planning to attend every day will see and enjoy everything. At C2 & C3 there was just so much going on. Add to that the wait times for panels, shows, and exhibits. You would have to choose what you wanted to do most. I'm guessing there will be limited panels on the fan day (just my speculation). It depends on what you'd like to see. I think only you can decide if it's worth the time, effort, and expense required to attend with no guarantees you'll be able to accomplish what you want to do the most.

3. Jedi_Ryn_Luna

Jedi_Ryn_Luna Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2005
    Weird question but does anyone have an idea of how much a cab would cost going from LAX to Downtown LA? Or are there any other methods to get there from the airport? I can't drive so I can't rent a car(embarassing I know). I hope these aren't stupid questions but I've never traveled on my own before.

4. CarolynNC

Mar 29, 2002
  5. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    I had a question about costuming at the con. This will be my 1st BIG con and as far as costuming goes are there things to consider wearing, not wearing, security ("weapon" check, etc.)...

6. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    I dont know if this is the proper thread to post this info. in but hey it can always be moved.

I called the Holiday Inn City Centre to find out some additional information about shuttles and transportation and this is what I was told.

I was told that many of the hotels will be offering discounted shuttle services from the hotel to the convention center. The Holiday Inn, if you are staying there, will be offering Valet parking and self-parking for $17 a day. However, the concierge guy told me that they discount those rates for conventions that have draws as this one. He would not give me an exact number, but he said he doubts they would be $17 a day, it would be less. So, with this new info. it may actually be beneficial for some of us who are staying longer than the convention dates to actually rent a car.

Anyway, shuttle service is $15 per person from LAX to downtown LA. I asked about children and they gentleman on the phone said they are free, so for a family of 4 to travel from shuttle it would just be $30. Hopes this info. helps ya guys, I will try and dig for more as it comes available to me!!!

C4: Comming Soon...Yippie!!!

7. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Thanks for that info.
    When I rang the hotel up and asked about the shuttle service they did not really have much of a idea about it as it was not there department.
    http://www.lawa.org/lax/hotelShuttles.cfm
    Theres a link on the LAX website in regards to the signs and so forth for transportation so look out for the red sign :D
    Well its different than having phones located near the luggage holdall in indy.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    What does it cost to go to a pub or a bar? Since I think that will happen a few times it would be nice to know the cost of a beer or a coctail and stuff like that. I don't need exact figures, but is it something approximate.

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmm, I don't know what bar or pub prices would be like. As far as I know, in LA they were be about the same as anywhere else, depending on the place. I would expect all food and drink in the LACC to be more expensive (think airport food prices). That seems to be the rule at any convention center that I have been to.

I was wondering if the LACC has any rules about people bringing in their own food and drinks with them? I have run into this at another convention center that had such a rule. This didn't stop some people from smuggling it in anyway.

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I've never noticed any signs about not bringing in your own food and beverage at the convention center.

As far as drink prices goes, it just depends. Downtown hotels and restaurants -- probably more expensive than you're used to at your neighborhood pub. $8 and up a drink -- not uncommon. Beer - $5, $6? Probably.

11. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    not sure where to post this as the whose staying where thread is locked so here ya go:

the wife and I will be at the Best Western Markland Hotel. it's at 434 Potrero Grande Drive, Monterey Park...which is 7 1/2 miles from the convention center. nice hotel, includes breakfast.

rates are outstanding, so all you who haven't got rooms yet, maybe look outside the city a few miles. you could save hundreds! :D

12. woppo

woppo Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2004
    That thread is not locked, yo ujust post your info on where your staying and then a mod adds you to the hotel list and deletes your post, to keep the thread tidy

13. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    I was wondering how realistic Yahoo! Map is with directions. My question to members who are familiar with the LACC area:

Is the Holiday Inn City Center ONLY .2 miles away from the convention center? I'd hate to get my hopes up and find out that the info is not accurate.

Thank you.

14. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Yes, it is right there. It's across the street and one block north of the Staples Center, and that's right next to the LACC. To get into the convention center you'd be crossing the street and walking maybe 3 blocks. It is about as close as you can get, unless you're camping out on the street.

15. CloneTrooper1020

CloneTrooper1020 Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2007
    Hi everyone! I'm a SoCal resident with a few questions (I'm new to all of this - the Celebrations, the board, everything).

I live about 60-90 minutes (depending on traffic) from the Convention Center so how early should I leave to deal with parking, lines, etc.?

I was planning to get a 1 day pass. I know that's not enough time to see everything but, since I'm not planning to get any autographs and I probably won't be shopping much, would I have enough time to see a decent amount of exhibits or would it be best to just go for the 4 day pass?

What I'm really looking forward to the most is the 6 movie marathon. Does anybody know if it's open to 1 day pass holders or is there some sort of priority for 4 day?

Thanks in advance.

16. CarolynNC

Mar 29, 2002
    One thing I might suggest is using Google Earth and look for yourself. The Staples Center is very close but although I'm terrible judging distance the entrances look more than .2 miles to me.

later...I finally figured out how to measure. If I did it right it looks like what I'm guessing is the entrance to West Hall is about .3 miles and the entrance to South hall is about .4 mile. Of course the likelihood of me doing it correctly is slim to none. :)

Anyway, take a look. You'll find lots of interesting things. I used it to pinpoint dining in the area and surrounding my hotel. I'm a visual person so it helps me to see the actual locations.

17. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    You'll have to tell me whether you're coming from the Inland Empire, or from the SFV, or Palmdale. It will make a big difference.

If you're really not planning on doing anything except go to the exhibits and perhaps a panel or two, one day is enough. But you are going to miss a lot! If you really can't go more than one day, I'd suggest going on Sunday or Monday. Going on either of those days will also mean you miss the work traffic.

I just checked -- the movie marathon is sold out, so you will not be able to get a ticket for that.

18. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    How does the parking work at the convention center? Will we get in/out privileges or do we have to pay again if we leave and come back?

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    If you leave and want to come back, you will have to pay again. There are no in and out privileges at the Convention Center.

20. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Forgive me if this has been asked already and I missed it.

I see that the LA Convention Center has a business office with a shipping station that uses FedEx. Does anybody know if they might be open on the whole Memorial Day weekend due to the Con? I would expect they would normally be closed otherwise. I assume they will ship out as well (the website just gave instructions on shipping to). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

21. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    D'oh!

Nevermind. I also found where it says the hours of operation are according to the show event. That should be good :)

22. CloneTrooper1020

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks for the info, ValedaKor.

To answer your question, I'm from San Pedro (the South Bay). But I'm not concerned about the freeway traffic, just how long it would take to park and wait to get in once I get there.

This might be a dumb question but what goes on at the panels? Like I said before, I've never been to one of these before so I'd like to know as much as possible before I buy a pass. I was planning on just seeing exhibits and maybe spend a little time shopping but since you said that I'd be missing a lot I might go for the 4 day pass.

By the way, how did you find out about the movie marathon being sold out? Do you know if they might have a second screening if the demand is high enough?

Thanks again.

23. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Impossible to say how long the wait might be when you get there. It's just a question of how many attendees get there the same time that you do.

Announcements

Check this link out for the official announcements -- there is a link to read about the panels. Lots of people talking about things they like (collectors), official news from Hasbro, Gentle Giant, authors, that sort of thing.

I went onto the GenCon site and tried to get a movie marathon reservation -- it said the maximum number of attendees had been reached.

24. CloneTrooper1020

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks again for all of your help, ValedaKor. I just got my 4 day pass.

By the way, I clicked on the link for the marathon reservation and I managed to get it. There wasn't anything about it being sold out. If your still looking to get one, I'd hurry and go back to the site.

25. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Glad to hear that! I had made the reservation the other day, so I'm good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.