main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Thread** The unaltered Original Trilogy to be released on DVD

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dagobah_Dude, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Where do you live that it's out?

2. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    woah woah woah woah woah!!

there is a star wars set in a TIN box set? are you serious right now???

forgive me, in the past month or so ive gotton out of star wars for a while and more into harry potter currently so this is the first im hearing about this tin set

thats clearly amazing!

but whats the price for it? theforce.net headline says 89$$ while the best buy site has 59$$$

3. fleapingfurrball

fleapingfurrball Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2006
    It will be $59.99 at Best Buy starting tomorrow through Saturday the 16th and then go to $89.99 after that. Here is a photo. The release date is tomorrow 9/12.

4. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    thank you

ive been debating about getting this for a good month now, but that tin case sold me

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    DVDs in the UK always come out in a Monday, so we tend to get them a day ahead of America. Same goes for the new Lego Star Wars game.

6. fleapingfurrball

fleapingfurrball Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2006
    You watching them yet Master Guff? :D

7. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Since these are the original theatrical releases, do you guys think that Beru will have her original voice before ANH was rereleased with its new title?

8. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    No. Its the 1993 2.0 stereo track, which is actually a mix created specifically for that release and not at all like the original releases.

9. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001
    So how can they say these are the theatrical versions? :(

10. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Technically they shouldn't. I'm pretty sure the "original crawl" is a re-created one as well; in any case it would still be spliced into a 1993 telecine. Really, these are "simulated theatrical versions." That doesn't bother me as much as the generally poor quality of the release however.

11. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001
    Heh. Well thanks for the answers, fellows. :)

I was so going to get these at midnight, but something came up with the bank, so my boyfriend said he'd get them for me and have them sent over since he's in California.

12. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, it's almost tomarrow...and I'm still on the fence. I held out since the beginning to get the O-OT on DVD - have lived with my VHS copies because I didn't want the SE or 2004 editions on DVD...and now...gorram non-anamorphic.

I'm weak - I'm sure I'll be at Best Buy when it opens tomarrow morning...

13. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I wonder if the shop could legally argue that due to the labeling on the package...

If they are so bad that I'll need to return them, all I have to do is go in with the reciept and say the picture quality on these DVDs is poor and I want my money back. The customer service person isn't going to have the slightest clue what anamorphic means and they're not going to put up some big fight.

14. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I can't wait to hear some real feedback on these DVDs. I want my decision to buy or not buy these to be an informed one. I was counting on some friends getting them, but now they aren't sure if it's worth it (especially if something better is going to come down the line a little later).

15. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Based on the trend, I'd predict that we get something better in a few years...but...

...based on the level of disservice being done to the O-OT in this set (I mean, it's even being called a 'bonus disc' - that gives you an idea of how little effort intentionally went into it), I'm very conconcerned that at this point, GL may really want to kill the O-OT.

16. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I was strongly leaning toward getting these until all the little "pack-in" type things got me debating it so much that I've basically decided to pass. Next year is the 30th Anniversary and the last 2 years have seen the OT released on DVD followed by a third today. I'd say the chances are good that we'll see this or something like it next year. In addition to that, I think the chances are non-existant of this becoming hard to find in a few months.

Until I hear some significant "blown away" reviews I think I'll pick up one Episode at best this week. And even that will depend on me finding it at an extremely good price.

What a difference a few months make. I was whining for this for years and I even claimed that I'd accept any type of legal edition of the "unaltered" OT. Now that I see a grand majority of things in Star Wars merchandising repackaged again and again I'm starting to learn to wait for exactly what I want. And another copy of 3/4 of the 2004 box set and DVDs of my decade-old laserdiscs is not exactly what I want.

...but ooh, there's a Tin? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.