main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Thread** The unaltered Original Trilogy to be released on DVD

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dagobah_Dude, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green_typewriter

green_typewriter Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 2004
    so, i barely post, and it might be "long", but:

anecdote: when i was six years years old (born in 1980) i begged my dad to rent "the first star wars" and once the opening scroll rolled, i. freaked. out. "what does I V mean?"

"four"

freak out!

you know, childhood geeking out.

anyway, i'm (very much) psyched about the (very much) originals being released on dvd, mainly because it's sorta sweet as a vhs-raised fan to have proof of the suspension of disbelief of being a kid and not caring if leia's "real mother" died when she was very young and had really just a bunch of images, or if that scene where r2 d2 is rolling through the canyon actually happened during the daytime and not in a digital dusk, or if the emperor first appears as someone who isn't the return of the jedi actor, or even if the tractor beam controls are in english. (and on that last one, i'm pretty sure that's bugged me, along with the lightsabers in STAR WARS the most since i was ten... also how vader kept getting shinier and shinier in the subsequent episodes, ha ha.)

i truly do love the idea of how the saga has gone from point "a"* to point "f"** and, yeah, because of that i really do hope for a 1-6 version with lightsabers that are consistent, music themes are placed in a fine way, the falcon having that great blue engine glow when needed and maybe even an updated crawl where neeeded. and yes, i admit it can't ever perfectly line up.

so, okay: i'm certainly going to get the digitized originals, and most certainly going to get the up-to-now digitized versions. i'm an anthologist, and way into cohesive storytelling, even if back peddling is required. sue me.

it's money, true. but it's also pretty fun.

[* a being the phantom menace, ** f being return of the jedi]

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    //starts petition for interactive DVD, that will allow me to view my own "best version" of the OT/SE/2004: Han shoots first, full score as X-wings cut across the axis, Ian as emperor, "Bring my shuttle.", "Lapti Nek"...

:D

3. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    If I wasn't at work I'd be jumping up and down with joy. :D

4. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    BRING IT ON![face_dancing]

5. dvader234

dvader234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    I have a feeling that this means Lucasfilm is currently working on a majorly-changed OT, with complete CGI makeover. So, with what heart Lucas has left, he decides to finally pay homage to the old school Star Wars effects guys. WOW! I'm still kind of in shock. I checked the date to make sure it wasn't april fool's.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    This is the best thing to happen to the STAR WARS fanbase since the night before EPISODE I opened, and everyone still thought STAR WARS was cool!

I actually got a little tear in my eye as I read the news. [face_blush] [face_love] :p

As to an "interactive DVD," don't hold yer breath... but you can always videotape your own version, with the addition of certain equipment that I will not describe here. [DISCLAIMER: Sheerly for personal entertainment purposes, of course, and not for monetary gain!]

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm kinda suprised that some folks here haven't seen the Original versions. Han shooting first is just pure bad***, and the original musical numbers from Jabba's palace are loads better than the ones from the special edition.

8. TCG

TCG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2005
    to the countless posters who said: 'why even talk about it? it'll never happen.' [face_laugh] hahaha!

am i excited today. :)[face_dancing]=D=:D[face_cowboy]

GK edit: Not allowed.

9. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Great news until I read this

Sources said the transfers won?t be as clean or vivid as the digitally modified versions.

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2&newsid=9067

We'll just have to see. I wonder how much its going to cost, around 60 dollars for 6 different movies plus extras.

10. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    This news has actually made me more enthusiastic about future changes.

Now that he's honoring the originals, I want to encourage him to make any future changes his little heart desires! I'm actually curious to see what else he might have in mind.:)

edit:

Hello, Indy. I haven't spoken to you for awhile.

Re: your comment - I'll be happy if they aren't as VIVID as the 2004 dvds.

11. BleepsSweepsCreeps

BleepsSweepsCreeps Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    Do you think this time they'll actually put some EFFORT into the packaging? The existing set has a fantastic box, but the individual covers are absolutely horrible. I really hope they use the original poster art for the covers, instead of the horrid random faces they seem to like so much.

And please, gold for widescreen this time... not silver.

12. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Let me be the first to say- this is awesome!
    Oh, page 5, huh? Well, one of many to say- this is awesome!

Great news to come home from work to.

13. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I have never seen the unaltered original trilogy, I have only seen the 1997 ones and the 2004 ones.

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I find that I have to turn the color on my television down a few notches for the 2004 ANH to look the best.

15. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    [face_dancing]

Well let me tell you...they are awesome.

I can't wait to Watch the Originals the the 2004 DVD released back to back. You know just to compare old with new. I haven't seen the untouched films for years now.

I have the Special Editions on VHS.

And all the prequels and 2004 DVD trilogy.

Heck I even have the clone wars DVDs.

With this set it will all be complete.

16. TCG

TCG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2005
    oh, btw, SEBASTIAN SHAW LIVES ON!!!!!

17. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Hell yeah! That's awesome!

Does anyone else find that 2004 DVDs to be quite dark in places, in comparison to the originals on VHS? It'll be really interesting to see how the originals look on DVD?

18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    That reminds me, I guess I'll need to keep my laserdisc player if I want to watch the original SE versions. :p

19. Darth_Deus

Darth_Deus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    But which version of the "unaltered" trilogy will be re-released??

Will C-3PO explain how to shut off the tractor beam?

Will the movies be digitally 'cleaned up, or is it going to look like an old beta-max version transferred on to DVD?

20. rockskigrrl

rockskigrrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2006
    Wow i'm going to have quite a few extra SW movies kicking around by the end of the next few years! First this fall with the original versions, and then next year with the SAGA edition! I'm going to have three copies around, both full and widescreen! Maybe i'll have to sell my full screen SE OT on ebay or give it away to a friend. Or maybe i'll just keep it for myself.

21. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I'll be especially glad to entirely miss seeing the wacky antics of the ridiculous ASP droid.

Also, without the Jabba scene, the introductory shot of the Millennium Falcon is so much cooler!

22. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Great News!! =D=

Although, it would be nice to hear someone say "Thank you George!"

So, I will - THANKS GEORGE!!! [face_dancing]

23. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yeah, been busy. Hope everything is good on your end.

Yeah I agree, I really hope the colors are corrected no more pink lightsabers.

24. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Damn, those are good questions! For those who don't know, there are a number of sound discrepancies among the initial prints that were shipped to theaters in 1977. It's a complex history of which I sadly lack the details, but suffice to say that many sound variants exist of the original theatrical run of STAR WARS!

Which version will it be? And if the picture isn't re-mastered, well, why not?

25. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    It's definitely going to be interesting to see what's included, what's fix, and what's not fix.

Either way, the people that wanted a choice have that now.

Now, the real fun begins in Star Wars fandom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.