main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Official "What's the Story?" Hyperspace Databank Feature Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by clonewarseu, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    If they give us the chance for some interesting characters (*wink* handmaidens and other Naboo royalties *wink*) I will probably try to submit anything. If it turns out allright it might even be the thing that makes me continue to be a HS member. This is the best thing that they've ever had.

2. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I like my back story for the character, though I didn't know his "brother" already had a name in TPM. I just made one up. My version of the story is that he initially is involved in importing and exporting fine spices and ivory and then once the Clone Wars hits he shifts to developing a bio-toxin from several of Naboo's indiginous creatures. His contract with the GAR is nearly expired so he travels to Coruscant to renegotiate with the military commanders and attends the Opera. He sees Palpatine and so he tries to get Palpatine's autograph following the opera but is killed by a disgruntled worker by using the very bio-toxin his company produces.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The new one is up- it's a Mos Espa spaceman. I think the running theme with these so far is "characters with silly headgear" ;)

Maybe this guy is BoShek's father? ;)

Now that he's "done with", here was my submission for John Knoll's character:

Jon'ka Dobé

From amateur cartographer to owner of a major galactic corporation. A shift in Jon'ka Dobé's life almost as unexpected as the many gravitic eddies cast forth by the planets he once charted.

As a young man, inspired by the Daragon myths, Jon'ka pursued an interest in galactic cartography and navigation. Using imaging systems of his own design and captured data provided by hired spacers, he was able to generate highly realistic depictions of whole worlds and their relationships with their astral neighbors.

Then shocking news from Metellos of his father's death heralded a surprising inheritance: a majority ownership in Neuro-Saav Technologies.

Though well-respected, the cybernetics company had failed to significantly expand it's influence out from the commercial shadow of Coruscant that fell over Metellos.

Jon'ka Dobé changed all of that. With his newfound influence among the gentry, he implemented new initiatives that expanded Neuro-Saav into routine electronics production- including the (now extremely popular) Plescinia Entertainment brand, which took advantage of the cartographic imaging systems he had designed earlier.

The success of the CS-Mark 3 holoprojector (some even purchased by the Jedi order) led to expansion of Neuro-Saav distribution plants along the Perlemian Trade Route and made Jon'ka into a notable star among the Coruscanti elite, often invited to events attended by the Supreme Chancellor himself.

One such event was held at the Galaxies Opera House, where he hoped to gain favor with Mon Calamari representatives attending. Though he cared not for the code of atire, gaining support for a proposed distribution plant on the planet of Mantan was worth enduring the fashions, if it opened Neuro-Saav to theoretical hyperlanes leading into the wealth of the Corporate Sector.

4. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Mine from last week:

Hailing form world of Mirgoshir, Lohj Nolik was born into a family of wealth and prestige. He spent his early days studying the arts at the finest colleges on the planet. He quickly became one of the most renowned art scholars in the galaxy. He was well respected by his students who called him: ?Your artfulness?.

But not all of his students liked him. His anti-war stance made him very controversial. When the Clone Wars broke out, Lohj saw the war as a result of the Republic?s failure to negotiate. He felt that the Republic rushed into war and should have kept up diplomacy. He saw the corruption in the Republic and began secretly funneling money to the Confederacy. It was partially due to his efforts that the Republic had a difficult time securing Mirgoshir.

But another member of the Nolik family had a different view. Tahrk Nolik, the elder brother of Lohj, was a fervent supporter of the Republic. Tarhk contributed as much money to the Republic as Lohj did to the Confederacy. Several months before the end of the Clone Wars, Count Dooku discovered Tahrk?s support of the Republic. Quinlan Vos executed the entire Nolik family, except for Lohj. This tragic turn of events changed Lohj?s mind about the Confederacy. Realizing that both the Confederacy and the Republic were corrupt, Lohj began sending every credit available to him to the one man he knew he could trust: Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan.

One night, Lohj Nolik was attending a show at the Galaxies Opera House on Coruscant when he noticed that Supreme Chancellor Palpatine was in attendance. Nolik was later seen talking to the Chancellor, urging him to begin peace talks with the Confederacy. The next morning Lohj was found dead. The official cause of death was electrocution, but the details would remain a mystery.

His students mourned his loss, but although he died before the Empire was formed, the money he sent to Bail Organa would provide a foundation for the rebellion and a lasting legacy.

5. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    My story for John Knoll, inspired entirely by the fact that his hat looks like it could come from the same planet as Giddean Danu's:

Raised on a farming settlement on Dantooine, Noel Jhani looked to the stars his entire life. At age sixteen, he got his chance to leave when a passing freighter captain looking for a new crew saw his potential and hired him. Serving aboard the ship, Jhani discovered a natural aptitude for computers. When he learned of the lucrative possibilities for slicers across the galaxy, he took his leave and disembarked at Nar Shaddaa, where he honed his skills slicing local bank accounts for the Hutts. It was there that he met Rori Tenalu, a Kuati businessman. Tenalu had embezzled millions of credits from his employers at Kuati Drive Yards and fled before the transactions could be discovered. He saw in the young man the solution to his problems, and offered him a handsome sum to slice into the KDY mainframe and alter the accounts. To aid him, Tenalu gave the slicer his personal information, and Jhani, taking the opportunity, not only wiped the record clean, but stole Tenalu?s identity and finances, fled Nar Shaddaa, and set off for Coruscant. With his money and apparent influence, he quickly gained friends amongst the literati. By slicing into corporate and government systems, he obtained the information needed to make a series of incredibly successful investments. Before news of Geonosis hit the Holonet, he had already sold all Trade Federation properties and snapped up Rothana Heavy Engineering stock. After the defeat of the Confederacy at Coruscant, he used his connections to obtain tickets to the sold out premiere of a Mon Calamari opera and brought his friends to celebrate. However, his victory was to be short-lived. Only days afterward, the Republic was transformed into an Empire and the Jedi exterminated. With no warning, Jhani could only watch in horror as his investments collapsed. Left destitute, he had no choice but to return to his roots in the underworld, resuming a life of service to the many crime bosses who roamed the lower streets of Coruscant.

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Wow. Clearly I need to up my game. :D

I've lost the original version, but my bio had Lohj Lonk as the senator for various corrupt planets in the Outer Rim. Thanks to kickbacks from crime lords on Simpla-12, Arcan IV, and other worlds, Lonk became extremly wealthy, but his real love was for the arts. When he was given representation of Nar Shadaa following the defeat of the pirate Krayn, he sold out to the Hutts, allowing him to buy the Galaxies Opera House. The House played host to many fine productions, including Squid Lake, performed by the Mon Calamari Dancers, and Uhl Erhal Koeng (I checked the spelling before submitting my real entry, trust me) featuring Alderic Brandl. Lonk enjoyed supervising the design of holographic scenery and other visual aspects of production.

TC

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I missed this the first time I read that. Nice.

Submitted my one for the Mos Espa spaceman, Tal Mirin (a name inspired by absolutely nothing other than it sounded good off the top of my head). It's difficult to come up with reasons for humans to wear protective suits on normal city streets, and there were only a couple I could think of. The one I chose may not be the most original, but I liked what the implications of it were. I got Gardulla and Villie in there as major players, and a reference to the Nebula Front as well.

8. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Hoj L'lonk -

Administrator of the famous Mines of Halm, Hoj L'lonk outwardly supported the Republic, sending huge amounts of raw materials to loyal shipyards at drastically cut prices, earning several lucrative government subsidies, which he poured back into the mines, using huge mining droids and mobile fusion cutters to open new seams and drill deeper into the fertile crust of Halm.

In the newly expanded mines, L?lonk discovered all sorts of rare metals and crystals, including the rare mineral phrik ? also found on Gromas and Tatooine ? which was snapped up by a mysterious buyer. L?lonk?s workers also happened upon a seam of interesting crystals, which seemed close in nature to the Ilum crystals used in the Jedi lightsabers. Unfortunately, much like the similar Artusian crystals, the Halm ?adegan? crystals created a much weaker blade than the genuine Ilum crystals.

Unable to sell these weaker crystals to the Jedi Council, L?lonk discreetly funded a Separatist attack on Ilum, stemming the flow of Ilum crystals into Jedi hands, at least temporarily. With no other choice, the Jedi were forced to trade with L?lonk, who reaped a handsome profit peddling sub-standard crystals to the Order. With his newfound riches, Hoj was able to relocate his offices to Coruscant, leaving the day-to-day running of the mines in the hands of his capable Gran foreman.

Hoj had always operated independently of the Mining Guild, but while he flaunted his wealth and reputation on Coruscant, his trusted Gran foreman made a deal with the representatives of Offworld Mining. Invited to a performance of Squid Lake at the Galaxies Opera House by unwitting Guild executives, L?lonk had no idea that explosive charges had been hidden underneath his balcony, ready to blast him and his companions into dust. The explosion never took place, however ? the bombs were deactivated by personal agents of the Chancellor. Palpatine already had a nefarious aim for the evening, and didn?t want it ruined by any other plots.

I'll have to have a think about this week's contestant. That spacesuit's interesting, though, there has to be a decent reason why he's got that goldfish bowl on his head...

9. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    I think Tam's deserves a round of applause! :)

TC

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This spacemans a tough cookiee to crack, but I've found my two continuity bits to latch onto, and have reasoned out a use or two for that silly helmet. Just gotta iron out how he relates to the events duing TPM when we see him...

11. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    I wanted to keep him a random guy wandering around in the background--but I made sure to give both him and his silly Mandalorian-green spacesuit a backstory. :D

TC

12. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I dare someone to relate him to the pile of crap Jar Jar steps in... ;)

13. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    If he's wandering Mos Espa, I'm thinking maybe a Quinlan Vos-sorta tie in [after clonewarseu's last one, how many more of these What's the Story thingies can we tie into Quin, anyway? :p ]. Maybe he's looking for Quin or something. I'll flick through the comics later, case things out. Like Quest said, he's a tough one.

>>"I think Tam's deserves a round of applause!"<<

Ah, thanks! :)

14. TheEmpireStrikes

TheEmpireStrikes Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2004
    I had a serious writers block fer thisun, so I ended up using blatant famous person linkage. *sigh*

Count Methras Sindar, a rich merchant from Corellia, and distant cousin of the famous Gilad Pellaeon, had bought his title and standing in Coruscanti society by capitalising on his investments in several companies and organisations who had profited from the outbreak of the Clone Wars. He was often to be found in the Galaxies Opera House, mingling with other high ranking socialites and trying to extend his influence. Inevitably, he came to the attention of Chancellor Palpatine, who recognised that someone with such ambition and desire for social standing would be useful in his New Order.

When the Republic gave way to the Empire, Sindar found that the connections he had forged placed him in an unequalled position to grow powerful in the New Order. He also supplied information to the Emperor, via contacts in the court, which allowed Palpatine to ensure that no one group grew too powerful. However, Sindar eventually fell foul of the convoluted court politics when he inadvertently found himself involved in the affairs of a cabal of Imperial officers with Rebel sympathies. When this cabal was discovered, and summarily executed, by Grand Moff Tarkin, all those connected to the cabal were punished severely. So it was that the once powerful Sindar was stripped of much that once was his, and demoted to a mere diplomat to be used as the Empire wished.

Unlike his successful cousin Pellaeon, Sindar did not live through the turbulence of the Galactic Civil War. In a final bitter irony, his last diplomatic mission to Alderaan coincided with the decision of Grand Moff Tarkin to test the power of his new battle station on the humble planet. So ended the career of Methras Sindar.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah i thought about tying him into Quin's undercover gig at first- but I think I just came up with something a little better that actually affected the film. ::phew:: ok, hard parts over... hehe

16. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    It's a very weak offering from me this week - I did write some fairly decent stuff about Moff Seerdon, Moff Rebus and Fest, but then realised I'd done half the character limit without actually writing about the guy himself yet, so I scuttled it. It was gonna have Mat Rags in it, too. :( :p

I think I've got my general direction now, though. I just need to write it up. Considered making him a bounty hunter (with that helmet being an experimental shield generator) but decided the lack of any weaponary (or serious armour) put that out of the question. Shan't say any more, for now.

Narcranor at DH has a very good one, tho:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7584&start=15&sid=a767750f6be3665aa3728eef0fc211ad

EDIT:

Done it. I thought it came out quite good, but then after I cut it down I lost all the really juicy bits. And a Battlefront reference that had to go, too, not to mention the nod the Clone Campaigns quote I got in there. Still, it came out better than I expected.

17. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    My edit times' run out, sorry about the double post.

This week's was Grimo Slen, an energy merchant who goes by the nickname of "the Mobile Sarapin". Some tiny little nods to Marvel, Rites of Passage, Han Solo's Revenge, Podracing Tales, The Crystal Star and The Last Command sourcebook (well, this last one's quite substantial). I lost my Rebel Assault mention, though. :( Bloody character limit...

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The thing is, Mat Rags was seen meeting with Vos in TPM, probably after Mat's meeting ( [face_laugh] ) with Qui-gon. Perhaps this meeting enabled him to help capture a Krayt Dragon for Gardulla the Hutt. [face_thinking]

19. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I really can't think of anything for this guy. His design isn't the most inspiring of looks....while I love the new feature, I hope we get more interesting characters soon.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This one ended up being pretty tough, but I managed to whittle my nicely worded 2900 word work down to an acceptably worded 1998 word count ;)

Dug into the Bounty Hunters Galaxy Guide for this one, as well as "The Nubian Guy" (that joke will become canon damnit! ;) ) and everybody's favorite idiot, Rycar! ::)

Also came up with a pretty good movie connection that I think works really well...

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I want hyperspace now. :(

Will they announce the name of the actual winner?

22. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    The hyperspace screen name at least, yes.

23. Clone-Commando_1198A

Clone-Commando_1198A Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2004
    My uncut version of the first one:

Knolla Oh-jn (born V-Resh) hails from the planet Kegan. As a child he was very disruptive in school and was sent to a detention facility. His wealthy parents paid an offworld bounty hunter to free him from the detention center, which caused the government to build a new center underground. The government also froze his families assets a short time after they left the planet.

Knolla and his family changed their names and fled to the planet Tatooine to start a simple life. His parents became moister farmers and raised their three sons and one daughter.

At age 14, Knolla snuck aboard a vessel headed for Alderaan in order to earn enough money to get his family off the planet. On Alderaan he was placed into a foster home and was enrolled into a public school. Knolla's grades were so great that got a scholarship to a university, where men majored in business and eventually became an extremely wealthy business man. He also started a company called Casheas-Ex that earned him alot of money.

At age 25 he sent for his family and bought them a home on Alderaan. His father, however, refused to receive gifts from Knolla and lived the rest of his days on Tatooine along with one of Knolla's brothers.

Knolla moved to Coruscant and was married to Hearsh Ji-Reelko, a Twi'lek from Ryloth. He met her at his new company ,when Casheas-Ex merged with a real estate company, and the two fell madly in love. Knolla continued to make more and more money and bought other companies. He was on his way to making a corporate empire when the clone wars hit. Many of his workers fled to their home planets to make sure their families were safe. Knolla had to run the company with very few of his partners. 5 of the 7 were killed when they refused to give the Separatists funds in exchange for stolen goods. Knolla and his wife, however, almost escaped the Clone Wars unharmed.

During the battle of Coruscant Hearsh was injured in an explosion at her home. Knolla was at his company's building during the crisis. He rushed to the hospital when he heard that she was dying. He left 10 minutes before the Casheas-Ex building exploded after being hit with laser fire. When Knolla got to the hospital Hearsh died in his arms after hours of suffering.

Knolla recived a large amount of insurance money because of both Hearsh and Casheas-Ex and turned his company into a corporation. He spent his time going to operas and plays with his few close friends to comfort himself. He eventually moved to Alderaan to take care of his family.

Knolla made a trip to Tatooine once and visited his brother. His brother Tarsal told him how their father was killed by tusken raiders when a group of farmers tried to rescue a farmer's wife from the Tuskens. Tarsal had blamed the family for his father's death and lost touch with them until the farmer died. He started a relationship with the son Owen whom he had always liked. Knolla stayed long enough to see his nephew Deak be born before he returned to Alderaan, where he stayed until its destruction.

Damn, I lost my other one and it was really good too.

It was basically about a Spacer's Son who goes looking for his father's lost gold and ends up falling into an inexcapable pit that has all of the gold in it.

24. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    here's my John Knoll story:

Son of Kuati engineers, Nol Jonan became one of the
    Republic's new technocrats during the Clone Wars.
    Ouside of job working as a newsfeed router for the
    Holonet News Service on Coruscant, Jonan made a
    breakthrough discovery on boosting holoprojector image
    quality. With the investment of several prominent
    business and political leaders, Jonan went on to
    establish his own company, Nol Visionics. Within
    several years, nearly all the Republic's holoprojector
    manufacturers, such as Lockfiller, were using Jonan's
    new technology, and Nol Jonan became one of
    Coruscant's nouveau riche.

Using his political connections, Jonan secured a
    Republic contract for developing high security
    battlefield holocommunications during the Clone Wars.
    With an eye for the latest signal encryption and
    durability, Nol Visionics introduced portable
    holocomms that were first included in ARC trooper
    armor, and eventually built into all clone armor.
    After dominating the military market, Nol began to
    support Chancellor Palpatine's increased efforts to
    clamp down on the civilian media, to try to thwart his
    business rivals, like Chedak Communications and
    Brosso.

While not a major patron of the arts, Nol Jonan knew
    that Palpatine often met with prominent business
    leaders at the Galaxies Opera House. Hoping to get the
    chance to personally curry favor with the Chancellor,
    Nol took the opera box next to Palpatine, but
    Palpatine instead chose to spend his time conversing
    with the Jedi war hero, Anakin Skywalker. Nol?s
    efforts did not go in vain that evening, however, as
    he passed a bribe to Vice Chair Mas Amedda in the
    hallway for support on a contract extension.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like a few people latched onto the holoprojector connection- I got mine from the stats on the holoprojector used by the Rebels in ROTJ.

>>He started a relationship with the son Owen whom he had always liked.<<

So Owen had a little something-something going on the side, eh? ;)

(No wonder Beru was so mad at him in TROOPS! ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.