main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You're clearly not getting the reference: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/04/sean-spicer-calls-concentration-camps-holocaust-centers.html

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, just let's make the assumption that no one in the thread is actually Admiral_Thrawn60 or The_Gatherer and admires Hitler and his activities, and that if you think they do it's probably a satire reference you're missing. :p

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Here you go, btw:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-fifth-democratic-debate-in-6-charts/

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This analysis failed miserably last month. They concluded that Warren was one of those who performed best, whereas she had a huge drop in the two weeks following the debate.
    Besides, Gabbard is strongly hated in general. If someone hates her, of course they're not going to change their mind after she attacks other candidates and the democratic party. This fact doesn't mean that Harris and Buttigieg did fine against her.
    With Harris in particular, it just felt like an orchestrated attempt of the establishment to make her relevant again and give her a revenge.

5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I can think of one other person who thought that Gabbard got the better of him in that exchange: Mayor Pete. He looked stone-faced and livid while Gabbard was speaking, while she fully maintained her poise.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You do remember that The Gatherer was here for like five more years under a sock literally named "The Gatherer" in German.

In German.

He's probably here, is what I'm saying.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Considering I was primary sock-sleuth for Mod Squad? Yes. Yes I do. I just don't speak German.

SuperWatto likes this.
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    After a re-watching, for Harris things went even worse. Pete's lovers were probably fine with him there. But Harris....

Gabbard: the Democratic party is subjected to the influence of the military industrial complex, I will end the policy of regime change wars adopted by the previous presidents.

Harris: hey, you are a Democrat, why do you criticize Obama? Why do you criticize Clinton? Why do you go to Fox News?

Gabbard: I fight for the people, I don't pledge my loyalty to a political party. Besides, you didn't have anything to say about the substance of my arguments, which suggests that you would actually continue the regime change wars.

Harris: ** incoherent platitude about being a unifying candidate for the people**

How the hell can an objective person claim that Harris won the exchange?

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    “Hello my name is Der Sammler and I come from... some place far away. Yes, that’ll do. Anyway I say we offer unconditional pardons to known Neo-Nazis.”

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    itt Vivec is zombie Hitler

DarthIntegral likes this.
  11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This is so cringy

CT-867-5309, MrZAP, Abadacus and 2 others like this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What do you guys think of this ?

On one side I kind of get the situation, since going after black protesters is tricky. On the other hand, when you are running for president, if there is something that you really want to avoid is to have another person who comes on stage and does something that you weren't able to do by yourself.

This is true in particular if you are a professor who is already victim of the consequent stereotype of being out-of-touch and unable to handle anything that is not related to your subject.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m listening to the Pod Save America miniseries on Iowa and reading the section of Bernie’s book in which he talks about Iowa and it’s interesting and enlightening. Nutshell summary so far—the needs of rural Iowans and the interests of corporatist Democrats are pretty diametrically opposed, and that diversion of interests probably helped Bernie’s platform become a little more mainstream.

3sm1r likes this.
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    As I understand it, Warren then met with them after. I would say this is no different than when Bernie encountered Black Lives Matter protests. Both Bernie and Warren then met with the groups in private after and listened to their concerns. In the moment however, there is nothing they can really do if people want to be heard-part of their very brand is about letting people be heard. Kudos to Representative Pressley however for speaking up and doing so respectfully.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    My point is that she was supposed to do herself what Pressley did for her. I'm purely talking about the image it gives, which might be naive but unfortunately it's important in campaigns. It doesn't look very good to appear so helpless that another politician feels the need to come on stage and talk for you.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They were protesting in favor of "school choice" (charter schools). Not at all like Black Lives Matter. I would have been fine with her just ignoring them.

Rew, Lord Vivec, MrZAP and 3 others like this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Speaking of Warren, she apparently did an escape room. I imagine that is something Trump would never be able to do- work with a team, solve a clue and get out of the first room. Forget escaping the entire thing.

18. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    "Look at me! I'm Elizabeth Warren, the cool, hip candidate who does escape rooms and takes selfies with people while I think about how I'm going to massively increase the military budget!"

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently Bernie Sanders was told not to “stir the pot” or “cause unnecessary conflict” and just let Hillary Clinton be the nominee.

No ****ing wonder we ended up with Trump.

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There is no doubt that she would never do something like that spontaneously.
    When people discuss about authenticity issues, they're referring to stuff like this. With the same guys, Bernie simply discuss about the price of expensive shoes, which feels more like something he would actually do.

21. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't think she necessarily plans to increase the budget by a lot, but history has shown that she's willing to based on past votes, and she can certainly be persuaded to by advisers while dealing with whatever potential crises (real or imagined) arise during her presidency.

But yes I do think all the other stuff is a cultivated image thing. I'm not really putting a moral judgment on it, but I do think it's a bit silly, at least from my perspective. But if it works for other people then [face_dunno].

3sm1r likes this.
  22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg is back in the hospital.

Fever and chills. Hopefully something easily treatable and not related to her digestive tract.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  23. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Of course it is. To be fair however, she has been doing stuff like this since she became a Senator.

My point was that while she can poke fun at herself and play a game, Trump wouldn’t make it past the first room. He’d likely be pacing and standing too close to the other guys and then take credit for solving any clue.

3sm1r and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Bloomberg officially in.

Ugh.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One more candidate who has no chance of getting my vote. Cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.