main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok, so I got Wolfenstein...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Terra, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    ...and I suck. Badly. FPS games just aren't my usual thing, but hey, I'm sticking with it! Having to use a touchpad instead of a mouse isn't helping either.

Any tips? :)

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Use the mouse and keboard... not sure what a touch pad is. Play it on Easy if you sucks. Aim for the head, and burst fire. Hold down shots for like 4 rounds, and then release, then shoot again so it stays somewhat accurate.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    A touchpad is the mousey flat panel on a laptop, where you use your finger to move the pointer. Not good for a FPS. Buy a cheap mouse to plug into the laptop!

4. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    You wait till you get to the uber-soldats, me old china, you'll LOVE them! ;)

I haven't played this for a while, I'm gonna go play now!

5. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    Unfortunatly, I've tried the mousey solution before and my lovely Sony VAIO here won't have it...I tried a Packard Bell Mouse - would it maybe work with another? Either way, my lovely VAIO here doesn't even have an input for a mousey.

So assuming I have to get used to the touchpad, Dan's advice still helps thanks :)

And JC, me young procelain, I have enough trouble as it is - Level 2 and can't find the damned tram entrance!?

Told you I suck :(

6. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    Oh - found an adapter for the mousey....still skeptical on it working or not.

7. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    I finished, I finished, I finished! I completed the game! :D

8. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Is there a BIG BOSS at the end?

What's he/she like?

9. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    The BIG BOSS is a big wuss, beat him on the first try. I had a tougher time with the first uber soldat than that dude. I wish I had known that I had that lightning weapon before I faced him though, it would have made those damn zombies in the few missions before a lot easier. And I didn't know I had the flamethrower either... silly me.

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    lol - DOLT!

Flamethrower would be mean!

11. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    I had a tougher time with the first uber soldat than that dude.

That was my first thought after killing him. Curiously, I found fighting that first uber-soldat harder than the level with TWO uber-soldats, and that one in turn harder than Heinrich.

Flamethrower is useless. Eats up ammo and doesn't do efficient levels of damage. I used up my rockets, then a bit of venom, then lightning, which keeps the skeletons at bay, when each round them disappeared, I opened up with the venom again, and so on until Heinrich fell over.

Crappy ending sequence.

12. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Flamethrower is good on teh zombies. I could have used it then instead of kniving them because I didn't have much ammo.

13. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, no joy with the mouse but I beat level 2 :)

No major spoilers on the ending for crap players like me please, LOL.

Are there any other movies, game engine or otherwise, after the creepy doctor one at the start?

14. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    In between missions there are engine-generated cutscenes with the allies' commanders deciding on what your character's next moves will be. Occasionally you get a short cutscene to introduce each stage, particularly towards the end.

You don't get anything magnificent like the introductory sequence featuring Heinrich's imprisonment from the start, not even at the end.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    >> Well, no joy with the mouse but I beat level 2

Get a USB mouse.

16. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks for the info JC, and good idea, JP - will look into that!

I beat the level I was stuck on, and while I had a few friends around, made a fair bit of progress. I'm getting used to using the Touch pad now - I actually think it's better than a mouse for precision, but sometimes precision is not what is needed...
    I'm at the entry to the catacombs now, but my friends had to go, at least until after school should be over (I'm on study leave :)) and...well, nowhere near as fun without a load of ya gathered around a screen shouting out conflicting advice :)
    Besides, I might get scared all alone in the catacombs...well, unfortunatly, NOT alone :eek:

Hehehehehe :) Anyone know if I can get a USB Joystick??

17. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    NOOOOOOOO!!!! Joysticks are teh devil!

Give the mouse a shot. 95% of the time it's the best setup for the job. I mean, I've seen some people with joysticks that are a lot better than I'll ever be, but generally a mouser can own a joysticker or a keyboarder.

That being said, I have the MS Precision Pro 2 joystick. I like it a lot. Probably running about $40-$50, and it's USB.

18. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    So you can get USB Joysticks? Sweeeeeeeet! I'm not on about for Wolfy, don't worry, LOL - will stick with the mouse/touchpad for that.

19. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer mouse, which is USB capable, and a Precision Pro joystick, which is also USB capable. However, I tend not to use USB, as it's not so well integrated into everything. For example, I can never get X-Wing 95 to recognise my USB joystick. However, on a laptop, you're shorter on options.

Go for the Microsoft Precision Pro 2, that looks GREAT!

20. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm not gonna go with anything fancy - I'll get something to do the job when I come back off holidays after Christmas with any money I'm given :)

I might feel ready to return to the XWA scene then - leaving a trail of vaped enemies, for Nad :)

21. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    ZOMBIES WITH SHIELDS!? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :eek:

22. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    I use a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer with my laptop. You *must* use a mouse, not a touchpad.

23. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    The word of Preach is the word of God :)

Ok, so after Christmas I'll look into buying a USB mouse - nothing fancy, specially for Wolfy.

Tried multiplayer earlier....lasted abouttttttt.....5 seconds!? I was an Engineer since the team said they needed one (I picked a random server, basically) and before I even knew if I was meant to shoot this guy, he started jumping and prancing about- within seconds it was over and I was dead :(

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The other thing with the new Microsoft Intellimouses - FIVE buttons to map - you can do most of your "regular" in game activities with the mouse and your up/down keyboard buttons.

Games like Elite Force even use the mouse wheel to scroll through weapons - nice!

25. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    Yeah, it's good with the Quake III engine, for example, but buttons 4 & 5 don't work with all older games, JK being an example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.