main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok so who really invented the B-Wing?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ScorpionJedi, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We're SW geeks! We over analyze everything!

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

I've been used to a franchise heavily focused on continuity, and I don't want that to change. If I only cared for the fun factor, then I guess I'd be a megafan of [insert another franchise here].

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If TPTB don't care about continuity, why give a damn about the series at all?
    It'll all fall apart eventually.

4. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    Use your imagination people. We don't need to be told everything.

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    So the response is to just ride them on every single contradiction, no matter how little?

You give a damn about something because you like it, not because it's completely internally consistent. And if the reason you like it is BECAUSE it's completely internally consistent, then you're liking it for the wrong reasons. That's NOT worth giving a damn about.

6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    But there are many aspects that make you like something, you know. What if internal consistency is one of them to me? You may disagreee, of course, but I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are.

7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I know, and btw I agree. I was mostly saying that the viewers and fans of the show/franchise are often times their own worst enemies in enjoying the product they are being given. ;)

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  8. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    My problem with the very basic premise of all this is this: ultimately, when you boil it all down to its essentials, we're talking about people in the real world making other people in the real world go through real inconvenience because of a mistake made in a fictitious, NOT-real world, and a mistake that no one in the real world who is not a fan of that fictitious world would find important. Really, do you think ANY non-fan cares whether the cockpit a fictitious spacecraft, which doesn't really fly and provides no benefits to the real world except, at best, entertainment, can fit two fictitious persons or three? Do you think any non-fan cares whether another fictitious spacecraft, which again is only there to entertain at best and no more, cares whether it was invented by this or that fictitious Zoidberg-lookalike prawn-creature? No, these things matter to us, but ONLY to us.

Is that to then say that I don't care at all? Far from it. I wouldn't be here on these boards if that kind of thing wasn't something I myself noticed. "Hey, they referenced Shantipole! I'll have to check and see how much it resembles the original EU version. Hey, I thought Ackbar had a big hand in the B-wing, but now I guess it's another Mon Cala? I guess they have other plans for Ackbar; I admit it'd be weird if THIS was the way this series chose to introduce his character, considering he goes on to become a naval commander..." I notice these things too; I GET IT. But to then make Pablo or anyone else take time out of their busy day just to address it? Is it really necessary to inconvenience real people about fake things?

I watched the very same episode you all watched, and I LOVED it; absolutely adored it. I thought it was one of the strongest of the season so far. But not one of the reasons for that was because the canon was perfect. The reasons were because it was strongly written, because the music was done particularly well, because it reinforced and strengthened Hera's character, because it had some particularly good voice work on David Oyelowo's part (and he shined a lot in The Siege of Lothal too, by the way) and some particularly good animation on Kallus' face to support it. It frankly cheered me up at a time when I sorely needed it: my wife had completely unexpectedly lost her job the day before it aired, so because she too loves the show, this particular episode did a lot to cheer us both up. In that kind of a situation, while, as I said, I'm certainly going to NOTICE such things, I'm not going to let such things determine the quality of my viewing experience, to say nothing of then giving the people who made that for me some stick on the back of that. I just won't. I can't; I've got my own problems.

9. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    But WHEN we are told, we expect it to fit.

And who made the mistake in the first place? USW, when they claimed the B-Wing was designed by Ackbar (not that I care about that, I would be satisfied with him being project-manager) or "Rebels", when they failed to stick to it? Remember, it is supposed to be one consistent universe now, so what comes first would take precedence. Would it have been to be so difficult to put a Mon Calamari somewhere in the background of the episode?

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    That's exactly it. Books like Ultimate Star Wars are supposed be guidelines. That's why they're called guides.

Tzizvvt78 and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    The people who make books like Ultimate Star Wars are only human, and fallible. That's why it's called "They're only human."

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just to lob a grenade into this: animation production is such that this episode was probably written--or at least roughly planned--several months before USW went to the printers.

Pfluegermeister and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Which makes it even worse, tbh. :p

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    For the record, this is sort of what I mean. I'm not looking for a Story Group statement or apology. I'm saying that at most, I'd want an informal "it's not a big deal."

Because it's not. It's so not an issue, for exactly the reasons you bring up. This stuff is going to happen, and so I'm mostly saying that I'd be happy if the SG didn't sweat it and didn't waste their time (or ours) on it.

Everyone makes mistakes or makes a miscommunication. That doesn't mean the Story Group failed. I'm inclined to say the exact opposite: we got a cool new origin story for the B-wing that pays homage to the original (and to Ralph McQuarrie). That's exactly what we should be happy about -- they're blazing new ground while being respectful to the old.

Edit:
    Rabble-rouser!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm glad I didn't buy "Ultimate" Star Wars. Obviously, it's alreadu outdated, superceded even... Might as well be Legends.

cwustudent, ATimson and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    This kind of thing has made LFL a major problem for my enjoyment of Star Wars, because the technical side is so interesting to me, but they can't seem to keep anything straight and often make extremely bizarre decisions. Which just ends up forcing the likes of Wookieepedia to work with what they are given.

ATimson and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [face_rofl]

I was about to post a "Lelal is acting like Zeta" joke, and look who shows up.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just maybe outgrow the need to have SW be encyclopedic with everything explained. I get it, that's what you loved about the EU. I did too! But the EU is still there.

SW is back to its mythic, narrative-driven mode right now. Not everything will be explained, nor should it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Right, and we all know what you guys think of people "acting like Zeta". Am I to become ostracized too? Next time, I'll think twice about speaking my mind.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    B-Wing > X-Wings. There, I said it.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I just think there can be a far better balance between mythic, narrative-driven and technical readouts, but that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case. Mythic, narrative-driven is basically what allowed for "Legends" to happen, and that just takes me right out of Star Wars.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So you're saying you've ... Kay One Zero'd ?

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Everyone knows it to be true, if they search their hearts at least.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  24. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I've always enjoyed the other fighters in the Star Wars Universe over the X-Wing with the B-Wing being my favorite. Probably didn't help that the B-Wing was only in one film.

25. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    No, it just provides you with a motive to have a built-in grudge against mythic, narrative driven. Mythic, narrative driven took the precious EU away and so you resent it. But whether I agree with your standpoint or not, the fact is that at least you're always honest about WHY you have that standpoint, and I do respect that.

But when has Star Wars EVER been about the technical over the narrative? Whether one believes this or that film in the saga executed it better than others, the fact remains that the films have ALWAYS placed mythic, narrative driven over the technical readout side of things. To want it to be or do otherwise is to essentially be mad at an orange for not being a lime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.