main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Old Demons Die Hard - *Winner for Best AU and Best All Around; Tied for Best Ensemble!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    I had just enough time to read this little gem. Great job, P! I still love the story you're weaving here. It deserves all the noms it got. :D

2. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Way to go Xan. You can spot a thief a mile away[face_dancing] .
    I think Obi-Wan has been around Qui-Gon too long he doesn't want to believe that
    a padawan could be so devious.:oops:

Wake up Obi and listen to Xan.[face_shame_on_you]
    So whoever it is will kill Corgan.:D
    Watch out kid 'cause Xan might do it first.:p

=D= =D= =D=

3. MasterLexie

MasterLexie Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2009
    Palpatine threatened a ten year old? That's brutal, even for him.

I am so glad Xan agreed with me...telling Obi-Wan to open up to Anakin...please listen Obi-Wan!

Xan really went down on Bruck and his padawan, completely in character and although everyone else seems to think he is just being an ass he's really just trying to protect the people he loves. Aww Xan...

Great chapter!

4. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    This was another great chapter, loved the whole build-up around Corgan: would Xan be able to prove it, or not? And right at the end he could!

Hopefully this will get them a bit farther on Palpatine's tail [face_praying] although I do fear for Corgan....

With Palpatine's clever machinations, it's just as well that Xan is just as devious :D

And congratulations on your noms =D= =D=

5. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Xan seems to know exactly how Corgan thinks...it would seem he's been around the block enough to know when someones trying to blindside him. ;) It's a good thing Obi-Wan has him around in order to discover the truth about things. Otherwise, whoever was after that disc just may have been successful.

I think it's funny how Bruck seems to think he could take Xan in a confrontation. Somehow I think he underestimates what Xan is truly capable of. [face_beatup]

Wonderful post! Good luck in the awards; this story deserves it's time in the spotlight! =D=

6. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Whew, I finally caught up! :D

I'm really loving this story, especially the interactions between all the characters, in particular the big brother-little brother duo of Xan and Obi. [face_love] I love how Xan's past makes him so ideal for dealing with slippery padawans and conniving supreme chancellors. If anyone can get to the bottom of Palpy's true nature, he can!

I'm looking forward to more, and congrats on all those nominations! :D

7. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks all for the kind feedback, as well as the noms, votes, and congratulations. [face_blush] :p I absolutely [face_love] all of you! This is the final chapter for this fic. Whew! What a ride. Don't worry, though. A sequel is on the way and will be posted in The Saga Forum soon.

And now, without further ado:

Chapter Twenty - Resolutions

Bruck?s expression crumpled at Corgan?s outburst. He knelt down on boy?s level and grasped his upper arms. ?I would never let anything happen to you, Padawan. I swear to you that I will protect you.?

Corgan shook his head His eyes widened in horror. ?But you can?t, Master! He?ll kill you.?

Bruck smiled at him. ?That won?t happen either.?

Corgan kept shaking his head. ?You don?t know that, Master.? He sniffed and wiped his nose with the sleeve of his robe.

Xan glanced back and forth between Bruck and his padawan. He sensed Corgan?s very real feelings of fear and worry and felt a bit guilty for his earlier uncharitable thoughts. He was, after all, just a kid. ?This man who threatened you? is his name Sidious??

Corgan eyed him with suspicion. ?No. He said his name was Tyrannus.?

Obi-Wan slipped his hands inside his robe sleeves. ?Can you describe what he looks like??

Corgan shook his head. ?I?ve never seen him in person, and his face is always covered in the holo-messages he sends me.?

?Where are those messages?? Bruck asked.

Corgan?s gaze dropped to the floor. ?I destroyed them.? He glanced back up at Bruck. ?The one time I didn?t, he?.? He swallowed. ?Remember when I was on the walkway above the pond in the botanical gardens and it collapsed??

Bruck nodded, his face whiter than usual.

?He said he sabotaged it to teach me a lesson.? More tears pooled in Corgan?s eyes. ?He said he?d do worse the next time I was careless.?

Obi-Wan frowned. ?I think you should take this matter before the Council, Bruck. They need to know that someone took advantage of Corgan and take steps to not only protect him, but to also prevent this sort of thing from happening to other padawans.?

?No, Master. Please?.?

Bruck squeezed Corgan?s shoulder. ?Don?t worry, Padawan. They won?t blame you for this. Whoever this Tyrannus is, he?s the one at fault, not you. The Council will view things the same way.?

Corgan nodded.

Xan lifted one eyebrow. He hoped Bruck was right. One could never be certain of what form the so-called collective wisdom of the Council would take.

Bruck stood and faced Xanatos. ?DuCroix? it seems I owe you an apology. If not for you, I might not have found out about this until it was too late.? He grimaced. ?My? negative feelings have skewed my perceptions of you and anything involving you.? He inclined his head. ?I hope you can forgive me. I?ll certainly strive to keep an open mind regarding you in the future.?

Xan was so stunned by Bruck?s admission that it took him a minute to come up with a response. ?Uh? think nothing of it.? He grinned. ?I?m sure I more than deserved your animosity.? He extended his hand. ?Truce?? He didn?t think Bruck was ready for friendship just yet. He knew he wasn?t.

Bruck nodded and clasped his hand in return. ?Truce.?

Xan leaned back in his chair with a heavy sigh and rubbed his hands over his face. ?I?m more confused than ever, Master.? He glanced over at Qui-Gon, who lay propped up by pillows in his infirmary bed. The healers had stated earlier in the afternoon that they would release him to Obi-Wan?s care in a few days. Maybe by then they?d have larger quarters lined up that could house the four of them. Xan shook his head and brought his thoughts back to task. ?I suppose Tyrannus and Sidious could be the same being, but Yoda said the images in Padawan Twizer?s mind don?t match up.? He spread his hands wide in exasperation. ?Are we dealing with one Sith or two??

Qui-Gon pursed his lips and looked at the ceiling for a long moment. ?I fear this Tyrannus may be a replacement for the apprentice you killed on Naboo.?

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Xan grinned and shot him a sideways look. ?Of course, Obi-Wan here will have the final say in everything.? He made a show of looking at Obi-Wan?s back. ?After all, it?s his non-existent posterior that the Council will rake over the fires of the seven layers of Sith?s hells if we screw up.?

Obi-Wan lifted one eyebrow and gave him an indignant look. ?I?ll have you know that I have a very existent posterior, thank-you-very-much? or so I?ve been told.?

Xan leered at him. ?Oh really? By whom??

Obi-Wan?s cheeks flushed. ?Let?s just say I?ve heard from some rather reputable sources.

:D Yeah, Siri in my story more or less will say the same thing (cross my heart - just because it's not posted yet doesn't mean I have not yet written it).

Wonderful update. I love how you bring in all the varying personalities. It'll take all three - and Anakin as the fourth - to make a success of his training.

It will be done!

9. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Great ending!!!=D= I'm glad they got mostly everything sorted out. They'll still have to keep an eye on Palps, though. And I feel bad for Anakin - I always hated the no-parent-contact rule.

Anyhoo, I LOVED this story, and please keep me updated on the sequel!! :)

- Serena

10. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I don't know![face_thinking] "I have a bad feeling Master!"

Anakin stared down at his lap a long moment. When he looked back up at them, his expression was resigned. ?Okay.?

Anakin is resigned to agreeing but as we all know he's good at keeping secrets.
    He said it himself Palpy is 'my friend'

He will not give up on his friend that easily.[face_shame_on_you] Anakin.

This is a great story Master and I'm looking forward to the next adventure.=D=

11. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I hope their tactic will help Anakin trust them more and Palpatine less. Hopefully by their being honest with him and allowing him to voice his opinions, objections, and thoughts, it will discredit Palpatine's attempts to snag Anakin's affections.

We can only hope! [face_praying]

A perfect ending! If you're keeping a PM list for the sequel, please add my name to it. :D

Can't wait for the fun to begin! [face_dancing]

12. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    I hope that works, rather than blowing up in their faces on down the road. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

Nice conclusion! Perhaps it's surprising that Sidious has a new apprentice, but possibly not. I can't wait to see what kind of trouble Anakin makes for the three Jedi. :D Should be very amusing stuff!

Thanks for the story! Send along the link when you post next. :)

13. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Good stuff...I haven't been on these boards for almost 5 years and this is the only thing bringing me back for more...can't wait to read your other stories here. ;)
    Thank-you.

14. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks to all my faithful readers for your generous and supportive feedback throughout this story. I've posted a short teaser chapter for the sequel, Surrounded by Demons, over at the Saga Forum. I hope you enjoy it.

15. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Hello! *waves*

Great story! Anakin's acting like a spoilt brat.... Obi, Xan and Qui should implement Xan's idea involving Yoda and Mace, except maybe with a lightsaber instead....

Poor Corgan! I feel sorry for him, although, I'm sure at one point along the line, he had some kind of decision, so I guess, it's at least partly his fault.

Anyways, sorry for not appearing for ages, we don't have holidays, school terms, or seasons the same as you Yanks. :p Now, I'm going to go over and read the sequel! :D

Edit: Congrats on the noms!

16. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    I'm glad the four of them were able to come to an understanding. [face_love] Let's just hope the guys are able to keep The Oily One away from Anakin! [face_worried]

And I loved the talk about Obi's posterior, especially Xan saying that Calamarian opinions on it don't count! [face_laugh]

Thanks for this wonderful story! :D Now I'm off to read the teaser chapter for the sequel!

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Congrats Peggy though I think you were robbed on one ;) - you know, there at the end. [face_whistling]

Do I force feed you a cinnamon roll in celebration of all the categories you did win? Here's [face_coffee] to go with that (or do you prefer something a bit - stronger?).

18. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Actually, coffee's just fine, Val. Thanks! *glances at watch* But catch me in about 8 1/2 hours from now and I'll sing you a different tune. [face_whistling]

Thanks to all of you who made this story a winner! I can't tell you how happy it makes me that I can entertain you with my day dreams. Speaking of which, did I ever had a doozy of a dream last night. I guess you'll start seeing the results of that soon, when I start posting it. :D Until then....

19. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Excellent last chapter, especially because you don't make it all go smoothly. Anakin still being resigned and careful at the end is much more realistic.

It shows why this story has won all its prizes, deservedly so =D=

And sorry for being so tardy. Or in keeping this short, but I'm on my way to saga right now [face_whistling]

20. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Wonderful story! I just found it and couldn't stop until the end!=D= =D=

21. ice-phoenix_94

ice-phoenix_94 Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2009
    Hey
    Just finished reading your story and I must say this story is excellent. I really liked your characterisation of Xanatos, Obi-Wan etc.=D=
    With Xan the following years are going to be interesting. Xan has a different point of view because of his knowledge outside the Jedi Order and can give Obi-Wan a reality check if he`s to wrapped up in his Jedi-like thinking. I mean Anakin has to be handled differently than a normal Padawan and if Obi-Wan forgets to take this fact into consideration, Xan will help him by questioning his reasoning. Hopefully they are able to trust each other, so that Palpatine does not have the chance to poison Anakin`s mind.
    I also like that Xan is so unpredictable, you`ll never know what he is going to do next.
    The friendship between Bruck and Obi-Wan is also quite interesting. Shoving them into a room and let them talk? I wonder what happened then. I do not think it was an easy coversation with their shared history and all that.
    Ah well, you certainly deserve you winnings. Congrats :)=D=
    See you at the sequel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.