main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Old Demons Die Hard - *Winner for Best AU and Best All Around; Tied for Best Ensemble!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Qui-Gon is the most obstinate man I've ever met.[face_shame_on_you]
    Pairing him with an arrogant Xanatos was always bad news for Obi-Wan.o_O

Looking forward to the next part.[:D]

2. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Yes, why is Xanatos helping Obi-Wan. The answer lies in part 2, Dealing With Demons, but not this first chapter. You'll just have to keep reading to find out.:D

Part 2 should make up your mind for you, but not just yet. [face_mischief]

I'll be happy to add you, Lolly, and yes, there is not Anakin in this story. However, we do have mysterious Xan and his hidden agenda. [face_thinking] Hmm,I wonder what that could be?

You'll find out soon enough, but not too soon. Gotta keep the suspense going. [face_whistling]

Thank you very much, JediKaren, and welcome to my twisted tale of woe. [face_skull] If you want PMs when I update, just let me know.

Thanks, Padawan. And as for Qui-Gon... ahem, insert Mr. Roger's voice here -- Can you say suspicious? I knew you could. :D

A/N - For those of you following my story, Sanctuary, I'm working on the next update and hope to post it later today.

Part 2 - Dealing With Demons

Chapter 1 ? Report to the Council

?Remember, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said, ?the healers only agreed to allow this as long as you don?t over tire yourself. You?re still under their care.?

?Yes, Master.? Obi-Wan gave him an indulgent smile. The healers had allowed him
    to return to his own quarters the week before, after having spent almost two weeks in their care. At this point he would have agreed to almost any terms if it meant he could leave the confines of their tiny apartment. Personally, he thought the healers were being overly cautious when it came to his recovery.

The Council had wanted to speak to him ever since he?d been brought back from
    the planet Romedin, where he?d been taken care of by none other than Qui-Gon?s
    infamous second padawan, Xanatos. Obi-Wan was only too happy to accommodate them
    if it meant he could get out and stretch his legs for a bit.

Qui-Gon waited for him by the entryway to their quarters while Obi-Wan put on his robe. ?Padawan, I?m not so sure you?re up to standing for Force only knows how long in front of the Council.

?Master, you?re being overprotective again. I?ll be fine. Besides, I?m going
    to go stir crazy if I don?t get out of here soon!?

Sparing a last glance at his padawan, Qui-Gon palmed open their door and led the way to the lift bank that would take them to the Council chamber. After a short ride upward, the doors opened, and Qui-Gon walked ahead of him to the Council receptionist. ?Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi? the Council summoned us.?

The knight behind the desk smiled up at them, revealing several rows of sharp fangs. His lower set of appendages continued to key information into the data bank, while his upper two indicated the Council chamber doors. ?They are expecting you, Master Jinn. Please go right in.?

Qui-Gon inclined his head. ?Thank you.? He walked over to the ceiling-to-floor double doors and glanced over at Obi-Wan. His expression grew more concerned.

3. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm glad I found this one; it's a very enjoyable read! :D

I'm wondering what Xan is up to though. He seems to have Obi-Wan's best interest at heart, but why? [face_thinking]

Looking forward to the next post! :)

4. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Yes, this just keeps getting more interesting! Now I'm really curious to see what Xan's up to.

Great update, Peg!

- Serena

5. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    And the story moves nicely along! Good job! WTH Is Xan up to?!

6. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Things are getting good

can't wait for more :)

7. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Why does everyone think this is so funny? He couldn?t even vocalize his ire, knowing he deserved every one of their smirking grins. Aww, poor Obi-Wan! :p

Good thing the Jedi made it back to the Temple, I was suspicious that Patri and Hermano would take over the ship and do whatever nefarious thing Xanatos had planned (if he even does have anything nefarious planned [face_thinking]). Gack! But I still don't trust him. [face_not_talking]

I'm assuming Qui and Obi will run into Xanatos again, I wonder what he'll be up to next time. [face_thinking]

Can't wait for more, this is a very intriguing story, p_stotts! :D

8. Bkcbookworm

Bkcbookworm Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2007
    Very interesting story! I loved the addition of Lord Sidious's interest in the demise of Obi and Qui. Hmmm, I have to side with the previous commenters; I can't wait to see what Xani is up to!

:) Please update soon!

9. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Xanatos is good at hiding his motives, but Obi-Wan believes in him I think.
    Qui-Gon is stubborn. He cant see any goodness in Xani.o_O

great.=D=

10. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Hi, Bek! I haven't heard from you in awhile. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Keep reading to find out what Xan is up to, but not in this next post. We won't find out Xan's motives for a bit. But first... read on! :D

[face_blush] Thanks, Serena! I'm glad you find this interesting. Keep reading.

[face_mischief] Keep reading to find out.

Well here you go? [face_happy

Thanks for reading, Bastet! Yes, what is Xan up to? I'm afraid the next few chapters won't do much to answer that burning question... but keep reading anyway.[face_whistling]

Welcome, bookworm! You asked for more. I shall give you more!

Yes, Xan is quite good at hiding his motives, and boy is he hiding a doozy this time. Yes, I am being mean, and you love it! ;)

Chapter 2 ? A Fly in the Ointment

?Hey there, little brother!?

Obi-Wan stared in shock at Xanatos? smirking holographic image.

?Now, this is just a guess, but I?ll bet I?m the last person you were expecting to hear from. No, no... don?t try to deny it. Seriously, I just wanted to see how you were doing. This message has a response initiation program in it. Just send a reply, and it will get to me. Take care of yourself, and hey... maybe I?ll see you around sometime.?

Obi-Wan continued to stare at the com unit long after the message had ended. He knew what he had to do next... play the message for his master. He pushed himself up from his desk with a sigh and walked across the hall to Qui-Gon?s sleep chamber. Might as well get this over with. He still winced at the thought of Qui-Gon's reaction.

?Contacted you before, Xanatos has??

Obi-Wan stood beside his master in the center of the Council chamber. ?No, Master Yoda.? Traffic streamed by the windows outside in a fixed pattern as if this were any other normal day, but this wasn?t a normal day for him. Like my life has ever been normal. Deep down he had the niggling feeling that his life was about to change irrevocably. He just didn?t know if that change would be for the better or the worse.

Qui-Gon?s first reaction on seeing the message from Xanatos was to delete it without responding, but Obi-Wan pointed out that this might be a means of answering some of the questions the Council had regarding

11. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    I finally caught up![face_dancing] Wonderful posts and all I can say is to keep them coming![face_praying]

12. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    That was another goodie! I loved this part most of all:

Qui-Gon made his bed, now Obi's jumping on it. He's got no cause to complain! :D

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

?Do not let fear motivate your actions with your padawan. Your trust he has more than earned. Unfair it is to take that away because he follows your teachings.?

Qui-Gon couldn?t help smiling at that statement. He'd always taught Obi-Wan to be an independent thinker, encouraging the boy to express his point of view, especially when it differed from his own. His apprentice was only doing what Qui-Gon had trained him to do. Yoda was right.

Well said, Yoda, well said! Good for Qui to realize that.

"Come out now, you can." He turned as a figure emerged from behind the branches of the Blba tree. ?Satisfied you are, Qui-Gon??

A melancholy expression crossed Qui-Gon?s face. ?Yes, my Master. I should have known better than to doubt him.?

Yes, Qui, you shouldn't doubt Obi-Wan. Great chapter ending.

14. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Ooh, very good chapter between Obi and Qui. Glad to see that Qui's going to believe in him more. I feel for Obi!!! He's just a kid, really. And I'm not sure what Xan's up to now.... hmm....

- Serena

15. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Lol! Qui's been hiding in the bushes! :D

Thanks for the PM!

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    excellent update and I can't wait for more :)

17. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    LOL.....ohhh man I totally should have seen that coming!

18. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, that was great. [face_love]

I loved Yoda's scheming, and I'm glad Qui realized he should never have doubted his padawan. [face_love]

Do they really want Obi to try and be Xanatos's friend? This should be interesting... [face_thinking]

Looking forward to more of this wonderful story! :D

19. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

It is a shame that Qui-Gon has to resort to hiding in the bushes. To realise that his Padawan is trustworthy.o_O
    Yoda knows Obi-Wan so well and yet his own Master does not.
    Shame on you Qui-Gon[face_shame_on_you]

I always like it when Qui-Gon gets a kick in the butt!:p

Another wonderful post Master.:cool:

20. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Your prayer is easily answered, my child. O:)

Nicely put, Peri. I like that. Glad you're enjoying the story. Here's more. :D

Thank you very much! [face_blush] Read on for more.

Well this next post will probably just raise more questions for you, but read on anyway. Answers will be forthcoming in a later chapter. [face_whistling]

You're quite welcome. Here's more for you to enjoy. :D

You asked for more; you got more! Enjoy.

Yes, that Yoda can me a sneaky old troll when he wants. :)

If you find that idea interesting, then you'll really like this next chapter.

Thank you very much, Padawan. Just because you tried to flatter me in this post, don't think I'm going to ignore you threatening my life when you posted to Sanctuary. [face_shame_on_you] ;) :D

Chapter 3 ? Feeling Each Other Out

Obi-Wan knelt before the balcony door in the common room of his apartment, meditating on how to tell Qui-Gon about his mission without ending up back in the healing wing. With a deep

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Yes, you see? I was there this morning when you were talking with Master Yoda.? Qui-Gon?s blushed cheeks and downcast gaze clearly revealed his embarrassment. ?I overheard everything.?

?You? you eavesdropped on my private conversation with Master Yoda??

?No! I mean yes... but it?s not what you think! Qui-Gon held up his hands to forestall Obi-Wan?s outburst. ?Please, let me explain.?

Hurt and anger swirled through Obi-Wan?s mind. I?ve been so adamant about being honest with him, and then he goes and does this. He crossed his arms in front of him and stared hard at Qui-Gon. ?This had better be good.?

Qui-Gon gulped so hard that Obi-Wan could see his Adam?s apple bob up and down through his beard. ?Yes... well... you see, I was there at Master Yoda?s request. Request, my foot! The old troll ordered me to hide in the bushes!

Obi-Wan picked up on that last thought. The sides of his mouth quirked in an attempt to suppress a grin. The righteous indignation he felt only moments ago transformed into malicious glee. ?Come now, Master, would you let me get away with a pitiful excuse like that??

?No, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said in teasing tone of voice. ?I guess I?ll just have to claim Master?s prerogative, won?t I??

?Well? that?s not very fair.?

A wide smile appeared on Qui-Gon?s face. ?Haven?t I told you before, Padawan? Life?s not fair; get used to it.?

That was funny. Nice chapter indeed - now, are we going to find out some of what is going on in Xan's mind next chapter?

22. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    "Life's not fair, get used to it."

Wait, so I've gone my whole life believing Life IS fair, and then you have to go and dash my beliefs??? THE HORROR!!!

:D[face_laugh]

I can't wait to see what Obi and Xan talk about - looking forward to it!

- Serena

23. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    More?

24. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks very much to those of you who sent feedback on the last chapter. Maybe this next one will garner a bigger response... or maybe everyone is just busy. :p

Chapter 4 ? Confusion and Complications

Qui-Gon paced the common room of his apartment while waiting for the return of his padawan. He extracted a firm promise from Obi-Wan before the his departure earlier in the evening that he keep his end of their bond open and accessible. In return, Qui-Gon promised not to bother him.

At first he felt nervousness emanating from his padawan, and it took everything he had not to distract the young man with an admonishment to stay focused. As the evening progressed, Obi-Wan?s initial nervousness gradually developed into relaxed amusement. For some reason, that bothered Qui-Gon even more.

He knew everything went well, because true to his word, Obi-Wan kept his end of the bond open. If something had gone wrong, Qui-Gon would have known in an instant and would have rushed to his padawan?s side. Still, he couldn?t help breathing a sigh of relief when Obi-Wan finally walked through the door.

He waited for Obi-Wan to hang up his robe and take a seat on the couch. Qui-Gon sat in the chair opposite him. ?Well, Padawan, how did it go??

?Very well, actually. I was pleasantly surprised.? He stretched and yawned then slapped his knees and stood. ?Well, I think I?ll go to bed.?

?PADAWAN!?

?Master! I?m kidding!? He sat back down.

Qui-Gon counted to ten before speaking. ?Padawan, I?m not in any mood to be teased. Now tell me everything that happened right down to the minutest detail.?

Obi-Wan flashed his master a playful look. ?Should I start with what Xan wore, or would you rather hear about what we had to eat??

?Xan?? He wasn?t sure he wanted to hear where this was leading.

Obi-Wan shrugged. ?That?s what he wants me to call him.?

This time, Qui-Gon counted to fifteen. His hold on sanity was tenuous at best. ?Obi-Wan, I?m ecstatic that you are deriving so much enjoyment from torturing me. Now? CUT THE CRAP! I?m in no mood for it. Start spilling or I swear I?ll turn you over my knee and beat it out of you!?

?Master, really!? An exasperated look descended over Obi-Wan?s face. ?You?re no fun at all.?

Qui-Gon stood and took a menacing step toward him.

?Okay, okay!? Obi-Wan held out his hands, palms outward, to ward off any sudden attack. ?We had a surprisingly pleasant evening of good food and good conversation, but I?m afraid it was just social chit-chat. We really didn?t get down to business until right at the end, and neither one of us was willing to give up any real information.?

Qui-Gon regarded his padawan?s innocent expression. He pinched the bridge of his nose and took a deep, cleansing breath. ?Obi-Wan, are you telling me that you?re going to have to meet with him again??

?I?m afraid so, Master,? Obi-Wan said with chagrin. ?But really, what did you expect? I can?t exactly cultivate a friendship in one meeting.?

Qui-Gon closed his eyes in an attempt to rein in his runaway emotions. ?I know,? he said softly. ?Please understand, Padawan... this is very hard for me. I don?t want to see you get hurt.?

Obi-Wan stood and walked over to his master. With an earnest expression, he placed both his hands on Qui-Gon?s shoulders. ?I know that, Master. I don?t want to see you hurt by this either. It?s just going to take time, that?s all.?

As much as the Council wanted to keep the master/padawan pair on Coruscant for awhile longer, the need for them in the field was simply too great, and the two were dispatched to a mission off-planet two days later.

Obi-Wan hadn?t had time to send Xanatos a message before they left, and he hoped the other man wouldn?t think he was ignoring him. After all, how was Xanatos supposed to know they were on a mission.

One month later:

Trudging into their quarters, Obi-Wan let his travel bag slip to the floor then flopped onto the couch in utter exhaustion. At least their

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Qui-Gon?s eyes remained closed. ?Hmph! You know, Padawan, there?s a fine line between lighthearted banter and insubordination. Right now you?re teetering precariously on the edge.?

One of several funny lines - I also liked the first count to ten, then fifteen....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.