main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Birm, AL OmegaCon March 13-15 2008

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by NarCranor, Jan 2, 2007.

1. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    While I know it is astronomically far away, there is a decent sized con being set up in the birmingham, alabama area that I thought you fan forcers should know about. The site for the con is at http://www.omegacon.us/ . You might notice that there are three Star Wars Authors attending the con in Alan Dean Foster (Splinter of the Mind's Eye), Dan Cragg and David Sherman (Jedi Trial). Also, a local star wars fan club, the Star Wars Alabama Syndicate ( http://www.swsyndicate.com/ ) will also be there in "force." There is some sort of Star Wars live action role play event (LARP), so that ought to be fun as well, and there are also costuming contests, and some kind of parade.

Naturally, while that is all great news, that is not normally enough to warrant my attention toward a convention that is half a country away (I live in chicago). However, myself and my partner were invited to this particular convention as GUESTS! The guys running the Con used to run DragonCon, and Hasbro is a reported sponsor, so it is a fairly large convention. You might be asking yourself, why in the world is this bozo invited as a guest? Well apparently the people setting up the con enjoyed my star wars fan site, http://www.fandomcomics.com and that resulted in an invitation. Since it is not specifically a star wars convention (more of a sci-fi and gaming convention) it appears there will be a strong star wars presence, and itd be nice to see us star wars fans dominate the various fan groups at said convention.

Tron (my site co-founder) and I are hoping to sit on or host a panel or two, and as time gets closer to convention day, and as more details become available about Fandom Comics' specific involvement with the con, ill definately drop by this thread and update. Its 15 and a half months until the convention, plenty of time to save up and pre-order tickets!

2. Bors_Kaegel

Bors_Kaegel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Thanks for posting this, NarCranor!

Yes, our fan club will be there in Force! We encourage everyone to attend and support this new convention, which is being organized and operated by Dragon*Con veterans who want to see Birmingham have a convention rivaling the big Atlanta faire.

3. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    We (Chattooine) might go on a road trip down that way as well. Sounds like fun!

4. Bors_Kaegel

Jan 29, 2002
    Cool! I look forward to seeing you guys there. :)

Edit: I am sending you an e-mail, Vesper.

5. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    So the website there got an overhaul at www.omegacon.us and Fandom Comics is officially on the guest list! Hope to see a bunch of fandomaniacs out there next year st pattys day weekend!

6. Jon-el_Dayspring

Jon-el_Dayspring Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2007
    After attending the initial walk-through of the venue, I can PROMISE you that anyone who attends will not be disappointed! This is shaping up to be an amazing first year con, and with guests like Richard Hatch already on board, things can only get better!

7. Bors_Kaegel

Jan 29, 2002
    If any of you want to see specific guests there, make sure you track down some contact information and send it to the President or Vice of OmegaCon. Their e-mails can be found on the Staff page of OmegaCon.us.

8. jedicharlie57

jedicharlie57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I'm hoping to see some of my Tennessee friends show up in force, as it won't be a far drive.
    March will be better costume weather, and I'm looking forward to a good balance of cons in the future: Dragon Con in September, Omega Con in March.

Greg, if you're reading this, please bring your Ghostbuster buddies and their Mobile!

9. _LadyVader_

_LadyVader_ Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    There is a good enough time frame between DragonCon and OmegaCon to work on new costumes too. Maybe even leave that hot costume for OmegaCon and go with something cooler for DragonCon. I'm really hoping for OmegaCon to start of well since its gonna be great having two good size cons in a year (one in spring other in fall).

10. Agent_Kenobi

Agent_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2007
    this is why I have officially decided to put my 'Slave ROTS Kenobi' on hold for the foreseeable future. While everyone knows that a middle-aged man in a metal bikini w/robe is sexy as heck, sometimes you just have to look out for your own health...

11. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    So this convention is coming up pretty soon, who all is going? Fandom Comics is definitely going to be there, and in other Star Wars News, we have the following people attending:

Ray Park: Famous for his turn as Darth Maul
    Rena Owen: Voice of Taun We
    Alan Dean Foster: Author of the classic Han Solo trilogy
    Dave Sherman and Dan Cragg: Authors of Jedi Trial

Of interest, George Takei from Star Trek/Heroes will be there, and Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactic will be there. Should be a really fun time! Come out and visit the Fandom Comics booth if you do come.

12. jedicharlie57

jedicharlie57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    It's definitely gearing up and approaching fast!

NarCranor, I finally updated the table listings there and sent you an email... now I'm cruising here and see your posts, as well.
    Hmmm, seeing the pilot helmet in your avatar, I guess it IS important to place you with the other Star Wars groups!

13. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    So Admiral Motti got added to the guest list! Along with Jaws from James Bond! Hope to see everyone there!

14. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    The Mississippi fan force will be in your area for this. Can't wait.