main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OMG LUCAS ZOMG! (official confirmation) - Jon Stewart to inverview Lucas!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Dark Lady Mara, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaDooDahDay

YodaDooDahDay Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks. When everyone mentioned "Reed" I assumed it was a person. I've already sent emails to the people on that list and have heard crickets in response. So, believe me, I'm not just complaining here for the fun of it. I tried contacting the appropriate people first.

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's exactly how I see it.

I'm not going to run myself ragged by staying up all night to try and see George when it's not even guaranteed I'll get a seat. I'd rather be off enjoying other stuff at the convention. Sure, it's a disappointment that I probably won't get in, but that's just the way things are. I'm sure I'll be able to catch a recording of the session later on and I won't be sleep deprived like everyone else who decided to wait in those long lines that morning.

I'm just going to swing by at the regular time I was planning to get there Saturday morning and if I get in, great! If not, no big deal. There's other things to see.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It will be a spur of the moment thing for me. At CIII I didn't go, instead it was great being almost in front of the regular line and be able to go see things that had been too crowded before. I even managed to get into the "impossible" MR line just by chance, and ended up with their exclusive, even if I hadn't planned for it at all.

4. YodaDooDahDay

Jul 20, 2010
    Maybe if enough people asked pretty please they might take action. Why must we accept disappointment? A lot of things were "just the way things are" until some people said, "Um, scuze me but..." [face_dancing]

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I can't believe there are only 300 VIP spots. Would have guessed a much highter number but this is my first big con of any kind.

6. Jedifan256

Jedifan256 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2010
    They do have large rooms. But, the main room is the dealer/ autograph room, the Laser Tag and CV store. Take a look at the convention center map, there are no other really big rooms.

I would hope they are planning for people to camp out. They are not telling people to camp out, but they know that's what people are going to do.

I live near NYC, so I'm used to big events where people camp out for hours, days, etc. It happens for concerts, sports events, conventions, etc.

When the event was first announced, I was actually expecting it to be later in the day and knew people would basically be getting in line as soon as the show opened. Which would mean in order to go to the event you would have to waste the entire day standing in line and miss anything else at the show. There way too many other things to do at the convention, I would like to see the Lucas appearance, but I was already expecting that I would have to miss it. I guess I've just gone to enough shows that I sort of know what to expect.

7. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I hear you there Jedifan256. I'm surprised the word lawsuit hasn't been slug let. lol

8. YodaDooDahDay

Jul 20, 2010
    I bet fans would understand postponing laser tag for half a day if it means a room that could hold a larger crowd. Laser tag is not their main event.

There's a difference, however, from a few hardcores camping out to get the best seats or bragging rights of being first vs. making it a requirement to simply see the event that's been promoted as the main draw.

I know it happens at other events. Here's the difference: they are deliberately putting the live event in a room that doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the needs of those who want to go. The priority for the organizers doesn't seem to be getting people into their signature event but to have just enough to make a good backdrop. Many of those who camp out won't see the event live even if they DO camp out.

Why do we have to resign ourselves to less? "I expected a crap sandwich and that's what I'm getting. Oh well." Maybe I missed the message of a certain film franchise, but I've grown up to believe that fighting for what you believe in is how things get better. I bet Lucas would agree with that idea. I'd like to attend the event promoted, see Lucas speak in person and not have to sleep on a sidewalk to do it.

9. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I would love to see this, and if I get to I'll be thrilled, but I'm not going to spend that much time waiting in line for the mere chance to see it. I'm of the crowd who will make the most of the night before and morning trying to get into other things that I want to see and make the most of the time with the friends I'm there to be with in the first place!

10. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    So, what about disabled Star Wars fans? Those unable to camp outside all night? Are they excluded from wristbands?

Maybe this is something I missed in all the fine print, but is this even covered? I myself may be able to handle sitting in line all night because of my obsession with SW :~) but what about my friend on multiple BP meds, etc. who has bought a ticket for CV? I know this would be a not uncommon situation as many SW and sci-fi fans are older or have to deal with disabilities of all kinds.

I don't want to stir up trouble, but I just don't think this was thought out before implementation.

Martha

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Heh, no. They'd have to cancel the laser tag for the ENTIRE day, either end it early the day before or work all night to take everything down and set up the stage for the Main Event, then spend the rest of the day converting it back. Not very cost-effective, considering these rooms are most likely set up days before the convention starts.

At Celebration III, people started camping out at 10 or 11 the night before, even though Lucas was going to be doing 3 1-hour shows. For the third show, they were flagging people down outside to try and fill seats. So unless they choose a venue that holds 30,000 people, there are going to be hundreds of people camping out no matter what they do.

You bet they're deliberately putting it in a room that doesn't hold 10-20 thousand people. There's no need for a stage like that at any other point of the convention. The reason you see rooms like that at events like ComiCon is because there are many many more attendees than what CV is expecting and those stages probably get filled out multiple times a day throughout the convention.

And I seriously doubt that 2,000+ people are going to be camping out all night, but you're welcome to remind me I said that after CV if I end up being wrong. I'd estimate the number of people who camped out for Lucas at CIII to be in the hundreds, or close to a thousand in the early morning. And let's face it, there probably won't be as many people attending CV.

Keep fighting YodaDooDahDay, keep fighting. But maybe try putting a few things into perspective while you do it.

12. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I understand you don't want to stir up trouble, but as stated before in this thread. Nobody here has the answers to any of these questions. They should all be directed at ReedExpo. Yes you may have to wait to get an answer, but ranting here doesn't do anybody any good except get others going on and on... And this thread was never for that.

13. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    If you read what was posted on CV website it says:

Wristbands for The Main Event will be passed out at the entrance to the Queue Hall. Wristbands will be given out first come, first served. Wristbands will first be given out to the Celebration Stage. Once these have all been claimed, wristbands to the Digital Stage will be distributed. After Digital Stage Wristbands are gone, Behind-The-Scenes wristbands will be passed out. Finally, Fan Stage wristbands will be provided until these, too, have all been claimed. After receiving your Main Event wristband, you will then be directed to the general attendee line. Please note there is not a separate Main Event line. Instead, there is one, master general attendee line to enter the convention. This line will move at 10 AM when the show opens. Attendees with wristbands for the Celebration Stage will be guided to the Celebration Stage, attendees with wristbands to the Digital Stage will be guided to the Digital Stage, etc. Attendees without wristbands are free to visit the Celebration Experience Exhibit Hall and all other show features.

To which I am assuming that there will be different colored writstbands or something to denotes what room you are in. If you want you can leave and know that you are going to be guaranteed a seat in whatever room you have a wristband for. If you want a good seat, then you will have to line up early.

I am also disappointed to hear that some people think that if you stand outside waiting for Lucas you are no better than a pack animal. I find that rather insulting.

[Walks away bleating "LUUUUUUUCAS!! LUUUUUUUCAS LUUUUUCAS]

14. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Wonder if Reed will be passing out "I SAW IT!!" pins to each fan as they are exiting The Main Event. ;)

15. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Because of the schedule I keep with my job and home life, I am awake from 2:30PM to about 4:30AM, and from 6:30 AM to about 12 noon 5 days a week anyway (I only sleep around 4 1/2 to 5 hours a day). Trying to see the Main Event is something I can handle. I will be in line with my folding chair some necessaties [face_coffee] [face_coffee] [face_coffee] , and if needed my poncho and umbrella. Waiting :cool:

16. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    Because of the huge amount of people that will be trying to get in to see George, I think that the lines for some of the other things will not be as crowded. That'll be the time I'll be trying to get my Mark Hamill autograph.

17. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    I feel like someone should call all of the local stores down there and tell them to stock up on beach chairs, tarps, ponchos, umbrellas, tents, etc. so they are ready for us.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yeah, very true. At least there will be a silver lining for any fan who can't get in to see Lucas.

19. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    That is exactly what I'll be doing if I don't try for the 'main event' or try but don't get in.

20. jonboy

jonboy Jedi Knight

Mar 30, 2010
    HAPPY CAMPERS lol well excuse me for paying my hard earned earnings to travel half way across the globe to celebrate the greatness that is STAR WARS as a so called VIP or what!! Roll on CV in under 3 weeks time I cant wait MAIN EVENT or NOT!

21. Jedi_Five

Jedi_Five Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2010
    I'm seriously thinking about being a happy camper that night! lol. I just need to decide the time I will be there. I would not really "camp", I will go to my hotel to sleep before. I think maybe sleeping from 6-7 pm to 1 am and then go wait in line from around 1:45 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. Then, wait again until 10:00 a.m., then wait again until the interview starts 11:00 a.m. Whew lots of waiting! But it's all worth it. I'm just trying to decide on the time... I don't think 2,000 people will be there waiting in line already at 1:45 a.m.?!

22. JediXtine

JediXtine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2006
    No Lucas for me.......I'll be doing one of my shifts for OPX that AM. :( And I was really looking forward to Jon Stewart too!

23. LordStarwalker

LordStarwalker Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm with Admiral_Ozzel on this one.

I'm a Florida local so only a 2 hour drive to Orlando/CV for me. I will roll into the Hilton hotel (connected to the convention center) with my truck and camping gear:
    - Folding chairs
    - Nintendo DS
    - various magazines
    - Umbrellas

Yea, I'm not planning on starting the line, but once one starts... It will be on my radar and I will be ready to setup camp. For this event, I think a little Puzzle Quest 2 will go a long way.

24. wookieesrus

wookieesrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2009
    I hope we don't go to such extremes as this :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/25/comic.con.pen.stabbing/index.html?hpt=T2

25. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001

The suspect was later seen being led away in handcuffs. He had on a blue "Harry Potter" T-shirt.

Priceless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.